Are you actually having fun?

#101 Edited by Christoffer (2108 posts) -

I love it. I "think" I'm nearing the end (castle and beyond) so I want to finish it in one or two sittings from now on. So I wont play it as much on my work days.

#102 Posted by Zevvion (3134 posts) -

i wasn't, then i was, then i wasn't, then i beat the last giant and now i am i guess? it really seems to come in fits and starts. i'm trying to do battlemage but i'm wondering if i'll have to just respec in the end for full on sorcerer, or i'm not doing it right. or "get gud" maybe?

btw i'm at like over 9 hours so i'm guessing i'm also proceeding way too slowly. part of that was just leaving the game in idle though.

i also feel like i need to grind souls and level in order to make the game manageable. but i guess that comes back to "get gud" like everything else, eh? ;)

i'm not really sure where to head at this point. heide's tower of flame?

Every build is viable. If you want to do melee with sorceries then that is completely possible and just as effective as any other build can be. You do need to think about some things though. Some enemies aren't that efficient to kill with sorceries, some are best handled with backstabs and so on. But you're still very early in the game. You feel a bit underpowered early in the game. Once you beat the game and go through it again you'll find you actually aren't, but because everything is still new, everything is also still difficult.

You don't ever need to grind for souls though. 'Get good' is not the right term, but you probably just haven't fully figured some enemies out yet. You don't really need 'skills' for Dark Souls, but you need knowledge. So it's more like 'get educated'? If you could name an example what is causing you trouble, then I'm sure a lot of people can give you some tips on strategy or tactics to deal with it.

But yeah, both Heide's Tower of Flame and Forest of the Fallen Giants are viable options to go to immediately after you start the game. So if you haven't been there yet, go there after Forest of the Fallen Giants. A tip: use a strike weapon (or magic/lightning/fire) on the enemies there. They are much more susceptible to that than thrust and especially slash weapons.

#103 Posted by Lanechanger (716 posts) -

I think I know what you need, put 20 points into adaptability, that should fix the game for you!

#104 Posted by jArmAhead (354 posts) -

So I've played about 20 hours, and I've reached a strange state of mind where I actively despise the game. Like I really, really hate the fuckin thing. I think the hitboxes are broken, and the way the game is put together - enemies have near-infinite stamina, one hit kills, awful things like the stagger - have all combined to make me really hate this thing.

But I can't give up. Otherwise they win right? I mean it's so wrong, because I don't think DS2 is WORTH playing, I'm just doing it because I loved DS so much, and I don't want a game to 'defeat' me.

But man it's a slog. I've read so much around the web about how DS2 tinkers with the formula too much and some people even after finishing on 80 hours say they just played through for the sake of completion.

So, are you having fun? Really? Because I am most definitely not.

The game is more flawed than most of it's fans will admit (how hits are detected is a huge problem, one of my few with the game that really stands out as especially significant), but I'm enjoying it a lot. If you;re dying in one hit, you should probably look into higher defense or health or something.

Maybe you just need to get into the swing of the combat. If you try and play it like DS, you will dislike the game. Once you adapt, it's much easier on you. Not easier in terms of difficulty but just in terms of getting over that barrier to the fun part.

To address some of your points: Stamina on enemies is countered by the fact that 90% of them are idiots and leave themselves open any time they attack, so you don't need to get them to run out to be open for a hit.
I have had very few one hit kills, and that's only been on my squishy mage (and I think unless you're real brave or very skilled, pure mage is a terrible starting choice). If you're dying too fast, level up some of your defenses.

The stagger is what it is. Be more proactive avoiding it and you'll do okay. It's annoying at first but now it almost never happens to me.

Hit boxes aren't so much the issue as hit envelopes on weapons are. Dragonslayer is a great example. He'll thrust forward while you're at 90 degrees to the thrust but because you were near his hand, you get hit, even though the weapon should be doing damage at the tip much like a halberd. On the other hand, there is an attack that the old knight at Heide do as a part of one of their combos that never fails to pass through me. There is a really unacceptable rift between animation and gameplay that really bums me out, and I totally understand why that would get someone down on the game. It shouldn't be as bad as it is. The game should be about recognizing and reacting and adapting and learning, not memorizing the invisible place you shouldn't be when X happens. Those shielded dicks in the ruins early on tick me off too, pretty much any animation they trigger into while blocking shows them exposing themselves, but they never bothered to A) actually set the shield to down, or B) animate it so as to not make it look like they are totally open to attack.

You can learn all of this pretty quickly if you pay attention, but I don't think it's hard to argue that it shouldn't be that way.

Otherwise though, really enjoying the game. I've got a bunch of characters going and exploring the different weapons and builds and locations is a ton of fun IMO.

I will say that it does feel a bit drawn out, so maybe that is why you feel like it's dragging? Even if you look at a guide for the shortest progression and just do the essential stuff, it's a pretty involved process.

#105 Edited by Kaos999 (57 posts) -

@jarmahead

"The game is more flawed than most of it's fans will admit"

Admission would tarnish their achievements, so no they will never admit to the games flaws, and unfortunately the devs will continue as if the games are perfect and the series will become more and more stagnant.

#106 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6370 posts) -

I wouldn't be playing it if I wasn't having fun. I actually hated the first dozen hours of dark souls 1, but once I figured out what it was and got into the right state of mind I loved it.

#107 Edited by GunstarRed (5914 posts) -

Maybe. I've just started DS2 and I have put about 30 hours into it despite constantly telling myself I'm done with it over and over.

It's not the kind of game I'd usually play, but I felt like I kinda needed to know what all the fuss is about. There's some things I really like about it, but others don't feel like anything but bad design. Like all of the invisible walls stopping you from reaching things you clearly should be able to and some bosses that I feel are kinda cheap. Also, bosses that can almost one-shot you (spider) are bullshit. I have grown to despise bosses in modern games where you have to continuously deal with lesser enemies and in this game it's what I'd call the opposite of fun.

I really like the exploration element and the freedom to do whatever, and despite it looking a little flat maxed out on PC, It has a nice atmosphere.

So yeah, I think it's fine. I have definitely had moments I'd call fun, even if I went in about 95% blind, and have continued to be really selective about information helping me.

Yummylee helped me out with respecing all my points because he claims I don't need 56 points in strength, but It was working out ok for me... that dude was wrong.

He wasn't.

#108 Posted by Karkarov (3387 posts) -

The enjoyment of this game comes from two things.

1: Learning what works and is fun for you.

2: Getting the build and items to support that playstyle.

Once you achieve number 1 and 2 it is just a matter of practice and learning the game. Yeah it is frustrating that first time playing it blind and solo, but guess what? It enables me to come to pc, throw down my summon sign, and make the ruin sentinels look like a joke for the host. (assuming they can resist walking into their attacks)

#109 Posted by Extintor (625 posts) -

I am, somehow, at NG+4 with 183 hrs of play on record.

Of all the titles that have come out this year, DS2 is the one that I find myself most involved with.

#110 Posted by leebmx (2342 posts) -

I have to say I got bored and stopped playing. It just didn't seem to have the magic of DS1. Just felt too rote. Start dungeon, work through, kill mini-boss, more work, kill final boss. Repeat. I know that is very reductive, but it just felt too formula and started feeling like a slog.

#111 Posted by dudeglove (9668 posts) -

Punching the crap out of things with a dual caestus build is about the only satisfying way to play this game. Lightning and hexes are overpowered, bladed weapons do dick against most enemies, pyromancy and other magic takes a few hours to get going, while a war of attrition with poison arrows is kind of dull. Just take off all your clothes and start punching everything. The powerstance combos are ludicrous and coupled with the stone ring (that you get right at the start of the game) you can actually stagger enemies that completely shrug off attacks from supposedly "normal" weapons. It's surprising what enemies are actually susceptible. I've not made it through undead crypt with the fist build yet, but pretty much everything so far craps out when you get all up in their grill. Blasting through ruin sentinels with your fists of doom is fun. It's almost as if From wants you to play it this way. Punching the dragon in Aldia's Keep might not be too easy, though.

#112 Posted by Zevvion (3134 posts) -

@dudeglove: Nah, you can easily use bladed weapons. I've used them for most of the game. I like how some enemies are more susceptible to certain weapons. It makes it fun. That way you aren't always overpowered, which I found interesting my first couple times through the game.

Every weapon is viable as far as I can tell though. I haven't found one yet that is 'useless'. Just depends on your build.

#113 Edited by dudeglove (9668 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@dudeglove: Nah, you can easily use bladed weapons. I've used them for most of the game. I like how some enemies are more susceptible to certain weapons. It makes it fun. That way you aren't always overpowered, which I found interesting my first couple times through the game.

Every weapon is viable as far as I can tell though. I haven't found one yet that is 'useless'. Just depends on your build.

I dunno, unless you are legit nuts about min/maxing, a couple of the chimes seem to kind of suck regarding cast times - although I suppose it depends on what spells you're using.

With the exception of the flame longsword (which has horrendous durability) and the sword from the Forest's heide knight (the move set and range of both is kind of ass), in co-op I haven't seen similar levels of reliance as, say, the Drake Sword from DS1. I'm not sure the increase in weapons is all that good (more =/= better), but people's weapon choices seem more diverse this time around.

#114 Posted by phantomzxro (1607 posts) -

Yes, very much so. I think most people who like the game have the reverse effect of having a rough time at the beginning but a few hours in everything starts to click. I feel most people in your boat never really liked the game to begin with but put up with it, waiting for it to get good. I just don't think its the game for you.

The game is not perfect of course but i feel it does difficulty better than most in that the enemies have rules along side the player. They also don't hold your hand to the point of just passing along. The changes in dark souls 2 threw me off a little longer than the other souls game but after i got use to that i don't feel like anything is overly broken or bad. The heart of the souls games is knowing enemy patterns and having your timing down.

#115 Posted by Zevvion (3134 posts) -

@zevvion said:

I dunno, unless you are legit nuts about min/maxing, a couple of the chimes seem to kind of suck regarding cast times - although I suppose it depends on what spells you're using.

With the exception of the flame longsword (which has horrendous durability) and the sword from the Forest's heide knight (the move set and range of both is kind of ass), in co-op I haven't seen similar levels of reliance as, say, the Drake Sword from DS1. I'm not sure the increase in weapons is all that good (more =/= better), but people's weapon choices seem more diverse this time around.

The absence of a Drake Sword is a blessing though. You're talking very early game blades though. Blacksteel Katana is great. Mirrah Greatsword is great. Most of the daggers are really good. Twinblade can be very effective when infused. Just some examples.

#116 Posted by HaniBall (361 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@dudeglove said:

@zevvion said:

The absence of a Drake Sword is a blessing though. You're talking very early game blades though. Blacksteel Katana is great. Mirrah Greatsword is great. Most of the daggers are really good. Twinblade can be very effective when infused. Just some examples.

Whips!!!!!!!!!!

Specifically the old whip!!!!!!

They are absolutely worth using in this game on anything not in a heavy armor.

Heck Caestus and even bare hands are viable options.

Bow mechanics are improved.

Consumables are a real option too.

It's just so cool to have all these different possibilities. And I am a one toon kind of guy, and I can still experiment with all this stuff. Surely must be heaven for more role playing oriented players.

#117 Edited by AndrewB (7782 posts) -

I mean, I'm hardly into the game enough to answer that question completely yet, but I get the feeling I know the lows to expect from the overall level design to set my expectations on the right level.

Mostly I'm just weirded out by the striking contrast between how amazing and poor the game looks from scene to scene, especially because it just overall seems to look horrid compared to the first game (but then my experience is a *bit* skewed by the graphical fixes and some higher res texture packs available). A breathtaking vista leads immediately into a dully lit, low poly, low resolution mess with the sweep of the camera.

It also just plays entirely differently on PC based on the unlocked framerate by default (I never messed with unlocking in the first game because the animations and everything about it were designed around that 30 FPS).

I'm hoping that playing a wildly different character than I did in Dark Souls will make it all the more interesting, but I'm still a bit shy about departing from my dextrous fighter and those attack animations ingrained in my mind.

#118 Posted by pinner458 (1066 posts) -

The title of this thread really resonated with me, it made me think and I came to the realization that overall I didn't really actually have "fun" playing through DS2. I remember moments where I would smile or feel really good about the level of wonder and intrigue I experienced at times, mixed with the excitement of discovering a new area but as a whole I can't say I had fun playing it...

PS. My font is weird as I type this, don't know why, wonder what it will look like when hit post.

#119 Posted by Lysergica33 (591 posts) -

I enjoyed playing it on the first run through. Then I played DS1 again, returned to DS2 and realised it's a piece of shit in comparison. So, eh.

#120 Posted by Zevvion (3134 posts) -

I enjoyed playing it on the first run through. Then I played DS1 again, returned to DS2 and realised it's a piece of shit in comparison. So, eh.

I had the opposite experience. When I went back and played DS, I realized that game wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it. DSII is much better.

#121 Edited by HaniBall (361 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@lysergica33 said:

I had the opposite experience. When I went back and played DS, I realized that game wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it. DSII is much better.

I confirm this correct observation

#122 Posted by MetalMessiah (2 posts) -

When I first started it, I would have told you I'm having fun, but at this point I'm not. The only reason I keep playing it is because it's the only game I own that I haven't beaten. And even if I wasn't spending half the time trying to not break my controller, I would eventually get tired of it because it's just so repetitive. If I get stuck somewhere, I just go through 15 times to get rid of enemies before the boss. This really sucks because I loved the first game and still do, but this one died off a lot really fast for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.