Being a cop's tough...

• 59 results
#1 Edited by White (1555 posts) -

I've never put in so much effort into leveling a covenant before. We need 50/150/500 BP kills or Arena wins to level up. The former can only be done via (very expensive) Cracked Blue Eye Orbs or via the (extremely infrequent) guardian summons from the ring. The latter needs Tokens of Fidelity to even participate . You get nothing if you lose in either scenarios. Horribly shitty.

And killing BPs as a WP or as yourself doesn't even count towards the obscene rank-up requirements.

Seriously. This, along with Bloodbros, might be the most shittiest Covenants to rank up ever. I had a better time being a Bellbro and a Ratbro.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

STOP IT, STOP ADDING ''BRO'' TO THE END OF EVERYTHING IN DARK SOULS STOP ITTTTTTT

#3 Edited by MB (13769 posts) -

@yummylee said:

STOP IT, STOP ADDING ''BRO'' TO THE END OF EVERYTHING IN DARK SOULS STOP ITTTTTTT

Ok...how about Brodent instead of Ratbro? That's bro at the beginning!

Moderator Online
#4 Edited by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

@mb said:

@yummylee said:

#5 Posted by White (1555 posts) -

@yummylee said:

You mean like the Sunbros are always so jolly, or how Dragonbros are just there for the (not really) cool looking armor?

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (16114 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Shhhhhh just accept it and praise the son bro.

#7 Posted by Zevvion (2686 posts) -

@yummylee said:

It can't be stopped. It's a term of respect. Much like 'san' in Japanese. You just add it to whichever name and in this case also whichever covenant you respect.

Sunbro's, Ratbro's, Bloodbro's, Pilgrimbro's... It will never change Yummyleebro.

#8 Posted by Petiew (1374 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Sounds like you're a member of the Madbros.

#9 Posted by MB (13769 posts) -

@yummylee

forceUsernameChange="y"

newValue="yummyleebro"

Moderator Online
#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4985 posts) -

I'm sad there isn't anything weird like the Gravebros in this game. Ratbros are annoying in a much less interesting way. :(

But at least the Copbros are easier to access so anyone actually plays them ever. That is probably my favorite covenant concept, even if I'm an eternal Sunbro myself. Bro

bRo

BrO

#11 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1229 posts) -

@mb said:

@yummylee

forceUsernameChange="y"

newValue="yummyleebro"

MBro

#12 Posted by Zevvion (2686 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

I'm sad there isn't anything weird like the Gravebros in this game. Ratbros are annoying in a much less interesting way. :(

But at least the Copbros are easier to access so anyone actually plays them ever. That is probably my favorite covenant concept, even if I'm an eternal Sunbro myself. Bro

bRo

BrO

Rat King Covenant is a very interesting concept and a neat idea. I think it would have been better if you had some say in what certain traps do and which way they'll face and what not. Whenever I decide to be summoned as a gray spirit, I already know how to walk to stay clear of the traps. But I think all of it falls short on the fact that it is the same area for everyone with the same traps every time and the Ratbro's are always just waiting at the very end of the map in Doors of Pharros in the hope that you get killed before you get to them. It's tedious to get into a fight. You're basically waiting around doing single player so you can eventually get summoned to do singleplayer in someone else's world. That's not very interesting.

#13 Posted by pinner458 (1006 posts) -

Dark Bros

#14 Posted by Zevvion (2686 posts) -

Dark Bros

Pilgrimbro's of the Darkbro's.

#15 Posted by Bedouin (63 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Fine. I'll be the one person who backs you up on this horrendous "Bro" trend that has seemed to permeate every aspect of our culture.

#16 Posted by Humanity (11092 posts) -

Dark Bros

Yes, thats it. Now make sure to say "come at me bitch" and subsequently "nuh-uh bitch" after you've initiated the finger wag emote.

#17 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (724 posts) -

PRAISE THE SUN!

#18 Posted by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

@bedouin said:

@yummylee said:

Fine. I'll be the one person who backs you up on this horrendous "Bro" trend that has seemed to permeate every aspect of our culture.

It's nice to see there's someone in my corner. Was starting to feel a little overwhelmed there!

#19 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6741 posts) -

As someone who has 3 biological brothers, bro is a necessity for daily communication; thus all shall be bros and not bros.

#20 Posted by ShaggE (7018 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@bedouin said:

@yummylee said:

It's nice to see there's someone in my corner. Was starting to feel a little broverwhelmed there!

Fixed that for ya, bro!

#21 Posted by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

@shagge said:

@yummylee said:

@bedouin said:

@yummylee said:

It's nice to see there's someone in my corner. Was starting to feel a little broverwhelmed there!

Fixed that for ya, bro!

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

#22 Posted by White (1555 posts) -

@shagge said:

Fixed that for ya, bro!

Get out.

#23 Edited by Humanity (11092 posts) -

Seriously though, I've hated the way people add bro to the end of everything ever since Dark Souls 1 was released. I'd mention it more often but considering how almost everyone says it l didn't want to seem like the grumpy old man yelling at the cool new internet culture.

It's horribly dumb and you're a terrible person if you partake in it, but thanks to the mainstream success of Dark Souls it's here to stay. You gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

#24 Edited by dudeglove (8950 posts) -

Join a Brovenant today

#25 Posted by Veektarius (5237 posts) -

Well, this discussion was productive

#26 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1229 posts) -

Well, this discussion was broductive

That was too easy.

#27 Posted by Zevvion (2686 posts) -
@humanity said:

Seriously though, I've hated the way people add bro to the end of everything ever since Dark Souls 1 was released. I'd mention it more often but considering how almost everyone says it l didn't want to seem like the grumpy old man yelling at the cool new internet culture.

It's horribly dumb and you're a terrible person if you partake in it, but thanks to the mainstream success of Dark Souls it's here to stay. You gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Nah, I like it. But I admit I'm very childish at heart.

Having a childish heart when playing Dark Souls isn't a bad thing though. The brodish heart you need.

#28 Posted by Spoonman671 (4919 posts) -

I feel there needs to be some rules as to when a -bro suffix is appropriate. The covenant should consist of actual bros, or behave as actual bros. I, arbiter of all things Dark Souls, deem the following covenants eligible for bro status.

Heirs of the Sun - OG bros, who engage in jolly cooperation - Sunbros
Brotherhood of Blood - These guys aren't bros, but it's already in the name. Don't fight it - Bloodbros
Blue Sentinels - They may be The Fuzz, but they still got your back, bro - Bluebros
Way of Blue - Some people just need looking after - Littlebros

The following covenants are NOT eligible for officially sanctioned bro status.

Company of Champions - a covenant that deactivates cooperative bro activity? Denied.
Pilgrims of Dark - these guys just wander around by themselves in the dark. Denied.
Rat King Covenant - These guys are dicks. Ain't looking out. Denied.
Bell Keepers - Same. Denied
Dragon Remnants - Dueling is respectable, but you're still rivals, not bros. Denied.

There's your official list. If you don't follow it, I'll have you banned from the game. Yeah, I can.

#29 Posted by stryker1121 (1740 posts) -

Back on point, bros, the blue dude level up requirements are ri-damn-diculous. Ditched 'em as soon as I saw the wiki. Went back to the sun covenant and have not looked back.

#30 Edited by Spoonman671 (4919 posts) -

Back on point, bros, the blue dude level up requirements are ri-damn-diculous. Ditched 'em as soon as I saw the wiki. Went back to the sun covenant and have not looked back.

Oh yeah, that's what this thread was about. Yeah, the requirements are super dumb. I'm just going to play through the game 2.5 times to get the rank rewards.

#31 Edited by White (1555 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

Yea but I already have Lvl 3 in Sun-, Bell-, Rat-, Dark- and Dragonbros. I'm left with Blood-, Copbros, Champions and Way of the Blue. All of them are non-trivial to complete =/

#32 Posted by Tennmuerti (8234 posts) -

I feel there needs to be some rules as to when a -bro suffix is appropriate. The covenant should consist of actual bros, or behave as actual bros. I, arbiter of all things Dark Souls, deem the following covenants eligible for bro status.

Brotherhood of Blood - These guys aren't bros, but it's already in the name. Don't fight it - Bloodbros

Blue Sentinels - They may be The Fuzz, but they still got your back, bro - Bluebros

Company of Champions - a covenant that deactivates cooperative bro activity? Denied.

Pilgrims of Dark - these guys just wander around by themselves in the dark. Denied.

Dragon Remnants - Dueling is respectable, but you're still rivals, not bros. Denied.

There's your official list. If you don't follow it, I'll have you banned from the game. Yeah, I can.

This seems logical.

#33 Posted by Zevvion (2686 posts) -

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Rat King covenant is dull, yes. But they like being dicks. Whenever they are done being dicks they get together and share their stories how they were dicks. Ratbro's.

Bell Keepers stay true to their task. Defeating invaders in two very specific locations. If you're not there, they won't bother you. Plus, they get the same armor as the dwarfbro's when they reach level 3. It looks adorable. Bellbro's.

Dragon Remnants are all in the same quest for becoming dragons. Whether they are doing it solo or not, they understand each other's determination. Dragonbro's.

You can't tell Champions what they can't and can do. They are Champions. They decide themselves. Champbro's.

Pilgrims of Dark all love the Dark. This is the thing they all have in common. They are therefor obviously bro's. Darkbro's.

#34 Edited by Scampbell (504 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@spoonman671 said:

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Rat King covenant is dull, yes. But they like being dicks. Whenever they are done being dicks they get together and share their stories how they were dicks. Ratbro's.

Bell Keepers stay true to their task. Defeating invaders in two very specific locations. If you're not there, they won't bother you. Plus, they get the same armor as the dwarfbro's when they reach level 3. It looks adorable. Bellbro's.

Dragon Remnants are all in the same quest for becoming dragons. Whether they are doing it solo or not, they understand each other's determination. Dragonbro's.

You can't tell Champions what they can't and can do. They are Champions. They decide themselves. Champbro's.

Pilgrims of Dark all love the Dark. This is the thing they all have in common. They are therefor obviously bro's. Darkbro's.

#35 Posted by wchigo (588 posts) -

@yummylee: Hey big bro! ...are you two fighting again?

#36 Posted by Karkarov (3550 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Even if no one else in this thread commiserates I seriously feel your pain. ... ... ... Bro.

#37 Edited by Matiaz_Tapia (311 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@tobbrobb said:

bRo

BrO

Rat King Covenant is a very interesting concept and a neat idea. I think it would have been better if you had some say in what certain traps do and which way they'll face and what not. Whenever I decide to be summoned as a gray spirit, I already know how to walk to stay clear of the traps. But I think all of it falls short on the fact that it is the same area for everyone with the same traps every time and the Ratbro's are always just waiting at the very end of the map in Doors of Pharros in the hope that you get killed before you get to them. It's tedious to get into a fight. You're basically waiting around doing single player so you can eventually get summoned to do singleplayer in someone else's world. That's not very interesting.

You are not thinking like a ratbro! You can hide behind a Mastodon and then follow the player after he runs past it....then stab him in the back. Or shield up right next to the spike wall so they fall. Or simply poison arrow them as they go through the course! You don't have to poison them, they just have to know they could so they freak out a bit! Same with the acid urns.

But back to what the OP was saying, I think both the blue sentinels and the brotherhood of blood are meant to be NG+(+++) since invasions don't really seem to happen after you have higher bonfire intensity. That would explain the ridiculous requirements compared to the other covenants. I was done with the Dragon Remnants after an hour for example (only 30 wins to max it out)

#38 Posted by geirr (2834 posts) -

Try horse

#39 Edited by Krockett (509 posts) -
@yummylee said:

@mb said:

@yummylee said:

#40 Edited by Krockett (509 posts) -
@yummylee said:

@mb said:

@yummylee said:

#41 Posted by White (1555 posts) -

But back to what the OP was saying, I think both the blue sentinels and the brotherhood of blood are meant to be NG+(+++) since invasions don't really seem to happen after you have higher bonfire intensity. That would explain the ridiculous requirements compared to the other covenants. I was done with the Dragon Remnants after an hour for example (only 30 wins to max it out)

Believe me when I tell you that you DON'T want to PvP in NG+2 and beyond. People at the 12mil+ SM brackets are all Havelhexers or Havelyns. The combo is ridiculously unbalanced on top of them being potentially stronger than you since the 12mil+ SM bracket is the last matchmaking tier in multiplayer.

And I'm already at 9mil SM. I'm really, really scared.

#42 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6741 posts) -

@white: That's just Dark Souls PvP in a nutshell though, everyone using the same exact boring as fuck build; you should expect that going in. It's not really the game that causes this but the players; pretty standard in most multiplayer games at present; everyone just copies someone else instead of trying to be vaguely innovative. The only game that really functions in such a way where the generic as hell builds aren't the most powerful is Assassin's Creed (because the mechanics of the game are so ridiculously complicated and randomized that the skill ceiling is well beyond mortal reach).

#43 Posted by Karkarov (3550 posts) -

@white: That's just Dark Souls PvP in a nutshell though, everyone using the same exact boring as fuck build; you should expect that going in. It's not really the game that causes this but the players; pretty standard in most multiplayer games at present; everyone just copies someone else instead of trying to be vaguely innovative. The only game that really functions in such a way where the generic as hell builds aren't the most powerful is Assassin's Creed (because the mechanics of the game are so ridiculously complicated and randomized that the skill ceiling is well beyond mortal reach).

Yeah random pvp sucks in souls games. Organized pvp can be great but again the catch 22 is someone is hosting it and everyone is following rules and probably has a similar soul level and agreed not to use these OP things etc etc. From doesn't care if Dark Souls 2 gets featured on some major league gaming stuff (neither do I :P) they want pvp to be scary, stressful, and to whack you out. Which it does for the most part.

#44 Posted by The_Ruiner (1303 posts) -

Yeah the Blue Knights are a cool idea but in practice, it's a lot of waiting around and doing nothing..

#45 Posted by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

@the_ruiner said:

Yeah the Blue Knights are a cool idea but in practice, it's a lot of waiting around and doing nothing..

Which is unfortunate because the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant in Dark Souls actually functioned as intended and was a lot of fun. While they had some good ideas, they've made the Blue Sentinels complicated and overly specific; the covenant as a whole is borderline useless on a first playthrough. That, and the rank up requirements as already mentioned are insane.

#46 Posted by White (1555 posts) -

Anyone in NG+ who feels like they're getting invaded non-stop? Join the Way of Blue! The PoPos will come help rid of those naughty Reds and you get credit for your covenant by smashing their sin-filled asses into the ground!

#47 Posted by DanTheGamer32 (247 posts) -

I fully back this rule set

#48 Edited by AdequatelyPrepared (807 posts) -

Considering that Sunbro's only need 30 medallions to fully rank up, the requirements for some of the other covenants seem just a tad excessive.

#49 Posted by The_Ruiner (1303 posts) -

I've been waiting for so long to be summoned as a blue spirit with no luck at all. Has anyone made it to top level yet?

#50 Edited by hollitz (1946 posts) -

Be an heir of the sun!

Only takes 30 medals to rank up to max. And it's fun to help other people out with bosses. Plus you'll never really have to grind out levels because the souls you get from helping on bosses is absurd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.