Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Charging a spell... wtf ?

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello everyone !

so i made a sorcerer and i love it , but the thing is , i don't see a way to cast heavy attacks of a spell , also two handing a staff doesn't change the power of the spell... has From Software been lying to us all this time about being able to do all that ? or am i missing something here ?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You're probably going to have to wait till Tuesday for an answer unless you figure it out before then.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Hopefully we can all find out in a few days.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without ever having seen or touched the game but knowing my way around the first two Souls's's's's's games the first thought that comes to mind would be that you're probably missing something somewhere that allows you to do it, didn't talk to some guy, didn't get some object, didn't defeat one boss or access one area or joined one covenant or who even knows why.

OR

It's just something super simple you're accidentally missing.

You're welcome for my being so helpful.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

It seems like the charging is only designed for holding the cast until you're ready for it to fire, like drawing a bow before releasing it. My magic user dude only has one spell, though.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the beta and there was absolutely multiple firing modes for spells. It basically went 1-handed normal < 1-handed strong < 2-handed normal < 2-handed strong. How you fired it affected damage and cast time. 2-handing also allowed you to aim your spells like a bow.

If you can't do that in the final version that means they took it out, which would be a tremendous bummer. But without the game in my hand I can't say whether you're just doing something wrong, or it's the specific spells you're trying to use.

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umm that means they toke it out then... 1 handing or 2 handing the staff makes spells deal exactly the same damage , + i tried focusing with 2 handed staff and i didn't get to aim like i do with a bow.. that's really disappointing :(

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pretty sure they didn't take it out. That would have been big news if they did as there are a lot of people who have the game right now. You are most likely just missing something.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Umm that means they toke it out then... 1 handing or 2 handing the staff makes spells deal exactly the same damage , + i tried focusing with 2 handed staff and i didn't get to aim like i do with a bow.. that's really disappointing :(

This is literally the first time I've heard anything about this. If they had taken it out I'd assume there were would be topics raging about that change from the Beta. I don't think it's possible that no one else is playing a magic user right now.

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's just not possible with the beginner sorcerer catalysts ? since in the beta the starting weapon with a big staff , i tried pressing every possible button but it didn't work so it's likely that :o , i am stuck at the 3 bosses now so i will try to beat him asap xD

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VioleGrace

Yep guys , the changes that were made for magic in the beta has been canceled , so From is officially giving us the middle finger .

First they change the graphic quality and we didn't mind because what matters is the gameplay , but now they changed something critical in the game play like that after announcing it millions of times .. like seriously !!!

I'm starting to lose respect for that company .

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a huge bummer that it's not there, I was looking forward to that change a lot, but they certainly didn't "announce it a million times". In fact, I don't recall From or Namco ever explicitly talking about it. I only knew about it because I played the beta and other people discovered it while playing the beta, but I'm quite sure they never promised it as a feature.

Content gets cut or changed during development all the time, and although I'm disappointed this was one of them, they must have had a reason for doing so if they had a functioning build months ago. Perhaps it was a balance issue or it simply didn't work out in the long run like they hoped, I don't know, I don't work for From, so I'm not going to make any assumptions without factual evidence.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I had no idea that was ever a feature during the dev cycle for Dark Souls II. If they removed from a beta than FROM (unlike many modern game developers) actually used their public beta data to influence their design choices. There must have been a balance issue. That's the only reason I can think of that would warrant such a drastic change. Balance is super important to a game like DSII, if you could too easily out power your enemies or worse; other players, using something like the beta magic you run into a situation where the entire game is compromised. That simply is not an option for one of these games. Devs make hard decisions like this all the time when they're doing their job right.

Who knows, it may yet show up as an advanced magic down the road. Souls games man,

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm i remember them talking about these feature in one of the early Ds2 videos , and that's why it was avaliable in the beta , however , it is true that magic is good enough as it is , but at least they should have kept the spell aiming feature in the final game because it was fun and if we can aim with a bow i don't see why we can't with magic...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

If you hold R1 during the Heal miracle, your health will slowly climb up and then jump up like a normal heal upon releasing the button. Seems like you can hold it as long as you want.

EDIT: I just did this and it didn't work, but I've done it before several times so I don't know what the fuck.

EDIT 2: So, I think I was full of shit. The only times I was able to do this was when I was with other players. Maybe they were doing something to heal me like that?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@spoonman671: There is an item that heals the host when used. Can't remember the name now. Its the one you get from helping kill a boss with the large white soap stone. Also fun fact about that item. You need 500 of them to reach max level in a covenant. That is 500 successful co-op sessions of killing a boss.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@spoonman671: There is an item that heals the host when used. Can't remember the name now. Its the one you get from helping kill a boss with the large white soap stone. Also fun fact about that item. You need 500 of them to reach max level in a covenant. That is 500 successful co-op sessions of killing a boss.

That makes some sense. Having Heal charge like that would be pretty OP. I should have known better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.