Crown of the Sunken King Annouced for July 22nd

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yep. Moar Dark Souls. The gods have been listening after all. Guess I'll be springing the dough for that Season Pass.

#2 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

I haven't played Dark Souls 2 in the last month. I really need to.

#3 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

Finally, something to look forward to in July. Can't wait!

#4 Posted by Nightriff (5246 posts) -

God damn does FromSoftware know how to create awesome trailers for their products.

#5 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2195 posts) -

Awesome, I would gladly play more DS2.

#6 Edited by TheBlue (425 posts) -

Oh man, that's pretty exciting. I hope it's good, some story expansion could really do some good things for this game.

#7 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

All of the locations in that trailer - or at least what I immediately imagined with a few of the Kings' names - are the real hype here.

#8 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -

Yo dawg, we heard you like the Black Gulch poison statues so we gave them 360 degree firing range and the ability to move.

#9 Posted by Popogeejo (616 posts) -

Sunken King? What is dead may never die!

#10 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (733 posts) -

Oh, maaaaan.. Now I really need to buy that PC version. As much as I adored the game on the PS3, the load-times made PVP unbearable.

If there's even more Dark Souls to be had, I'm sure as hell buying it on PC. Here's to a summer steam deal!

As for this, I'm genuinely excited. I hadn't expected any DLC, for whatever reason, and it looks like they've gone to town on this. Granted, they only showed us a few enemies, but there seems to be entirely new types of areas, all of which look strangely familiar. The architechture in the first new location reminds me quite a bit of Oolacile. And I'm a sucker for snow-covered land-scapes. Painted world, anyone?

Reading up on the description, it seems that we're to rebuild Vendrick's Crown. Though I have no idea who these seperate kings are; except for the Old Iron King who was one of the large 4 boss souls needed to enter the shrine of winter. If so, does this mean that the DLC takes place after the main game? Personally, I'd prefer that, as the new content would assuredly be level-appropriate, and couldn't be used to make the final haul of the game into a cake-walk as it was with the DLC for Dark Souls 1.

#11 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

Radical, so soon too!

Also: didn't even know this game had a season pass.

#12 Posted by Sterling (2600 posts) -

I don't see it on the US PSN yet. Still pretty excited!

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5902 posts) -

That's great! I really need to finish up dark souls 2 though.

#14 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Oh, maaaaan.. Now I really need to buy that PC version. As much as I adored the game on the PS3, the load-times made PVP unbearable.

If there's even more Dark Souls to be had, I'm sure as hell buying it on PC. Here's to a summer steam deal!

As for this, I'm genuinely excited. I hadn't expected any DLC, for whatever reason, and it looks like they've gone to town on this. Granted, they only showed us a few enemies, but there seems to be entirely new types of areas, all of which look strangely familiar. The architechture in the first new location reminds me quite a bit of Oolacile. And I'm a sucker for snow-covered land-scapes. Painted world, anyone?

Reading up on the description, it seems that we're to rebuild Vendrick's Crown. Though I have no idea who these seperate kings are; except for the Old Iron King who was one of the large 4 boss souls needed to enter the shrine of winter. If so, does this mean that the DLC takes place after the main game? Personally, I'd prefer that, as the new content would assuredly be level-appropriate, and couldn't be used to make the final haul of the game into a cake-walk as it was with the DLC for Dark Souls 1.

Aren't hackers even worse for PvP? I don't know how widespread it is, but reading things like having one's character reset to lvl 1 when getting killed by a hacker - that's the true nightmare to me.

#15 Posted by SunBroZak (1287 posts) -

Didn't the director of Dark Souls 2 say there would be no dlc for the game? Oh well, as long as it doesn't convolute the lore even further, I'd be up for going back into Dark Souls 2.

#16 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (735 posts) -

Those poison statues WALK now?? Damn if those things weren't annoying before! I never get DLC and I might get this. Looks very good and I've already played a ton of Dark Souls 2 on PC. BTW I have had no issues with PVP on dark souls 2 pc.

#17 Posted by dudeglove (8150 posts) -

Just give us infinite orbs for invading, dammit.

#18 Posted by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

No DLC, they said... it's all in the game, they said...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is pretty great to get more. But this goes against exactly why they said they weren't releasing in 2013 (to complete all of the content for the full game) and not have to wait for DLC.

#19 Posted by Thiago123 (450 posts) -

Didn't the director of Dark Souls 2 say there would be no dlc for the game? Oh well, as long as it doesn't convolute the lore even further, I'd be up for going back into Dark Souls 2.

The director (?) originally said no DLC. Then someone at Namco or a From executive (can't remember which) was like "Dafuq? Ofcourse there will be DLC because we like $." After that, the director made up some excuse about how what he really meant was that there could be DLC if the fans wanted it.

#20 Posted by ShotgunLincoln (305 posts) -

Can't wait for new content as I was disappointed how much of a breeze NG+ is.

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

I really love DS2 It is in my top 3 for the year right now but there is no way I'm firing it back up for an hour or so expansion pack.

#22 Posted by mason (264 posts) -

@demoskinos: Those who love the Souls series must never ever stop replaying.

ABS: Always Be Souls-ing.

#23 Posted by Trusty_Spoon (84 posts) -

This is awesome! And hopefully easier to access than the dark souls 1 dlc

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

@mason: I got the plat and played through the game 3 times for around 200 hours so I got my fill. Awesome game. I'm just done with it.

#25 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

Neat, not as hype as I was for DS1 dlc, but still neat to have more content to dig into.

#26 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12004 posts) -

I will play more of this game, yeah.

#27 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6002 posts) -

Dark Souls DLC was the best DLC ever created so yeah. Also nice that Dark Souls II is fucking amazing.

#28 Posted by Capum15 (4966 posts) -
@jclane said:

Yo dawg, we heard you like the Black Gulch poison statues so we gave them 360 degree firing range and the ability to move.

God damnit, FROM.

Well now I guess I have to go finish this.

#29 Posted by Aetheldod (3682 posts) -

Nice count me in ... but I wonder if I should get the season pass , you get to keep them right? (the DLC I mean)

#30 Edited by Yummylee (22290 posts) -

SOLD

Don't even need to watch the trailer. Just more Dark Souls II you say? Well pftede5343345fewwedwssuuuuuurrreeee!

Really happy they ultimately changed their mind about adding in DLC. Just hope it won't be as ridiculously obscure to locate as the Artorias DLC in the original.

#31 Posted by JackSukeru (5949 posts) -

@yummylee: Given how streamlined everything else was in Dark Souls 2, with covenants and whatnot, I don't doubt that this stuff will be easy to access. My guess is that at a certain point when you talk to the maiden she will have a new line of dialogue about the DLC, followed by a message that informs you that new warps have been added to the bonfire. Either that or a new npc arrives and points you to the areas that are the entranceways to the different DLC.

#32 Posted by rocketboot (138 posts) -

I originally suspected that DLC for this game would be accessed via the Ashen Mist Heart as memories in boss rooms or other random locations, but I'm not so sure anymore. It doesn't look like we'll be travelling through time for this one. I imagine we'll get carried by a bird or something along those lines, unless some of the doors that we saw in the main game that looked accessible but weren't, like the one between Heide's and No-Man's Warf.

#33 Posted by HaniBall (323 posts) -

I really love DS2 It is in my top 3 for the year right now but there is no way I'm firing it back up for an hour or so expansion pack.

lol I'm curious what are the other two games.

And if the Artorias DLC is any indication I absolutely do not expect a cash in but a relevant and challenging addition well worth mah munnayyy!

#34 Edited by Humanity (9855 posts) -

@mason: I got the plat and played through the game 3 times for around 200 hours so I got my fill. Awesome game. I'm just done with it.

While I didn't go through it 3 times, I did beat it twice and upon seeing the trailer I felt kind of similar - this resounding sensation of being done for a while. Nothing else of value (to me) is coming out for a while so I'll probably get it anyway but the trailer did little to excite me, and I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2 which helped me get back on board after Dark Souls.

#35 Posted by HaniBall (323 posts) -

@humanity said:

@demoskinos said:

While I didn't go through it 3 times, I did beat it twice and upon seeing the trailer I felt kind of similar - this resounding sensation of being done for a while. Nothing else of value (to me) is coming out for a while so I'll probably get it anyway but the trailer did little to excite me, and I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2 which helped me get back on board after Dark Souls.

You guys should consider coming back for some pvp. It is much improved with the latest patch. Why, I haven't run into a Santiers or Syans all morning :)

Also the amount of ascetics burned on the Rotten is getting to be pretty fun. I have helped guys who were doing nekkid runs like at the dragon because you get one shot anyways :)

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

@haniball: Other two games right now are Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV

#37 Edited by HaniBall (323 posts) -

@haniball: Other two games right now are Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV

Ah, OK, funny how no "classic" JRPG has tickled my interest this year so far. I guess Y's on the Vita might be interesting. Actually there are a few more on the Vita, conception II, that Curry game ... But hard to compare those with DkS :)

Mine would be Revengeance, although that technically came out last year I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.