Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Dark Soul 2 platforms

JimmySmiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am currently trying to decide between which console I should get Dark Souls 2 on. I have only played the series on ps3, but I currently will not have access to it when it comes out, although I do have my 360. Have any of you had experiences with both versions, and could note any differences in terms of stability and net code? Thanks.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like you don't really have a choice. Does it matter? Not really.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I can't imagine there's much of a difference between the two, so If all you can play on is that then just go with it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I've played Dark Souls on both platforms and the experience is nearly indistinguishable between the platforms. The X360 version maybe ran a bit worse in the problem areas (Blightown, obviously), but they were both fine for finishing the game. I would expect the same thing to be true of Dark Souls 2. Of course, the PC will always be the best version, but you may not have that option.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Smoke em if you got em. Play it on what you got.

JimmySmiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: @spoonman671: I figured that if there was overall bad consensus on the 360 version I would just wait. I could play it on pc, but I am too enticed by the free soundtrack offer for the console pre orders.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mclargepants

The only real difference will be the controller. If you're comfortable on the 360 pad, you'll be just fine with that version I imagine.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: @spoonman671: I figured that if there was overall bad consensus on the 360 version I would just wait. I could play it on pc, but I am too enticed by the free soundtrack offer for the console pre orders.

Both versions of the original Dark Souls were an even match on a technical front, so you probably can't go wrong with either version.

Only downsides I could imagine for the 360 is the block/attack commands mapped to the bumpers.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

generally speaking, games between the ps3 and 360 are roughly the same. Sure theres a few exceptions where one preforms real bad or has alot more bugs or whatever. But i wouldnt worry about it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Really the big thing you'll be missing is the PS3 version is sure to have a larger and more active crowd playing it. Sure, the 360 version will have some people but PS3 is obviously where most Japanese players will play. Dark Souls on PS3 is still the most active of the bunch for the first game.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only real difference will be the controller. If you're comfortable on the 360 pad, you'll be just fine with that version I imagine.

This makes me wonder if DS4 will be compatible with Dark Souls II. I'm so used to DS4 now that I don't like the loose analog sticks on the DS3 (among other things of course).

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By plaintomato
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mclargepants said:

This makes me wonder if DS4 will be compatible with Dark Souls II. I'm so used to DS4 now that I don't like the loose analog sticks on the DS3 (among other things of course).

Using RB/LB to attack/block, yuck!

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nasar7 said:

@probablytuna said:
    @mclargepants said:

Does the DS4 work for Dark Souls 1?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

From what I've gathered, Dark Souls plays about as poorly on both platforms. When it first came out, the sentiment floating around was that the 360 version had a bad framerate, but the reality is that the game dips pretty low on both versions. As far as DS2 goes, we'll have to see. The developers seem to be concerned with the performance going forward. I hope they do, because the frame rate is a real problem in those games. I'm not some 60 fps nazi, but the dips were kind of unacceptable to me.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ezekiel

@nasar7 said:

@probablytuna said:
    @mclargepants said:

I wondered if I should complain about this. Other players obviously managed, but those slim and shallow bumpers (and the dead zone in my stick) were the main reason I gave my Xbox controller away and started using emulation software with my DS3.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@plaintomato: I have no idea about getting the DS4 to work with PS3/PC.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really the big thing you'll be missing is the PS3 version is sure to have a larger and more active crowd playing it. Sure, the 360 version will have some people but PS3 is obviously where most Japanese players will play. Dark Souls on PS3 is still the most active of the bunch for the first game.

yep, this is the only real difference with the controller.

I learned playing dark souls on 360...when I dumped the 360 and bought the PS3 to play the PS3 exclusives, I could not resist buying DS again and I realized that I play much more naturally with the PS3 controller.

the community...well, as many douches in both really...the hackers have gangrened the PS3 version as well now...

but at start of a new installment, I would definitely go PS3 for the japanese player base to give you hell and fun and also for the earliest launch date so no spoilers for a week or 2!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.