Dark Souls 2 in 105 Minutes

#1 Posted by Turambar (6714 posts) -

We all knew this was going to happen eventually, but still, god damn.

#2 Edited by mosespippy (4106 posts) -

There sure is a lot of room for improvement. I don't think these runs are going to be as interesting as the Dark Souls runs since the levels aren't interconnected as much. There aren't back doors into most areas. I do question his decision to fight Last Giant and Pursuer and Ruin Sentinel when he could make the run through Flexile Sentry instead. Based on the commentary it seems like he doesn't like experimenting with new tactics or taking big risks.

#3 Edited by Sarumarine (2214 posts) -

There are some neat tricks in there, and almost sub hour and a half. However, my favorite part was the Dragonrider fight. Oh man, Dragonrider is such a punk. I'm starting to feel sorry for him. He's easier than Pinwheel.

#4 Posted by obcdexter (592 posts) -

There are some neat tricks in there, and almost sub hour and a half. However, my favorite part was the Dragonrider fight. Oh man, Dragonrider is such a punk. I'm starting to feel sorry for him. He's easier than Pinwheel.

The poor thing ... :(

#5 Edited by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

I've been watching a bunch of speedruns on twitch, and I'm pretty sure someone did a similar time awhile ago. This can definitely be done a lot faster. The new strat is to use one of those things that NG+es a bonfire 3 times on the end boss of Iron Keep to get to a million souls and skip a lot of the bosses and areas in the process.

#6 Posted by Zevvion (1840 posts) -

As many have said, this can be done faster. But it's still one hell of a first(ish) attempt. Kudo's. I don't think I'll ever speedrun this game. Not seriously anyway. I'll probably rush through it sometime, but I won't measure times and retry until I hit a decent time.

I'm going to guess you're going to see someone break under an hour pretty soon.

#7 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

the Dark Souls 2 movie?

#8 Posted by mason (258 posts) -

I skimmed the video, but is it me, or did he never really put levels into endurance? That seems crazy to me. I'm no speedrunner (I'm more of a daisy sniffer) so what do I know, but I would have assumed he'd prioritize endurance before focusing on DPS.

So much time is spent sprinting from place to place while avoiding mobs so it stands to reason that investing in stamina early would make the runs more efficient in the long run.

But maybe I'm thinking in Dark Souls 1 terms. Having the quick travel system from the get-go, does mean there's a lot less running around. And perhaps bosses not dying quickly is more of a time sink than the time spent jogging while recovering stamina?

Just questions.

#9 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

WR is like 1:30 right now; fastest way to do it is use 3 ascetics on Old Iron King; Naked Macing is the record but hexes could potentially be faster just due to general OPness. No deaths (on NG) is harder than a 1:45 run. No deaths/no bonfires (on NG) is much harder than any of the speed runs going right now.

#10 Posted by SecondHeartbeat (35 posts) -

I'd be more interested to see how fast someone can get through defeating every boss.

#11 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@secondheartbeat: This guy has the All Bosses WR, 2:53; probably could have beaten that yesterday without a choke on Giant Lord/doing a 50% success rate jump and failing 4 times. Much more interesting to watch than the four Old Iron King runs. You do have to embrace the fact that Great Resonant Soul is broken as shit atm I suppose (I've still never used it across like 7 characters personally).

Edit: New Record at 2:43; could probably do about 2-3 minutes faster with the current route but I'm sure there will be revisions and blah. Obviously records are pretty meaningless for a while yet.

#12 Posted by peritus (993 posts) -

Love it.

#13 Posted by Sterling (2146 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Climax is the real OP one. Its the next one above Great Resonant Soul. If you have 5,000 souls on you when you fire that thing off, watch out. You can almost one shot kill a boss. And it uses all souls on you when you cast it once. So no idea why they even bother giving you three casts.

#14 Edited by kishinfoulux (2278 posts) -

Saw this a few days ago. Was LOL'ing the whole way through. Also strike weapons are too fucking OP.

#15 Posted by Zevvion (1840 posts) -

@mason: You answered your own question. The amount of extra sprint time you get total when boosting endurance is really, really small actually. Jogging for 1-2 seconds isn't that big of a deal. Doing a ton of damage saves way more time. Also, besides sprinting endurance is literally useless for speed runs. It is already not that important if you play the game normally. I had mine around 15-16 and never needed more.

#16 Edited by LackingSaint (1783 posts) -

Man, I shouldn't have clicked this topic open. Didn't want game spoilers, and the friggin' thumbnail has a big giveaway right there in bold at the top right. My fault, but GAHH!

#17 Edited by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

It was cute, that for awhile, the speedrunners were summoning NPCs for certain situations. I think they are figuring out it just slows them down and have slowly started to stop using them as a crutch though.

#18 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -

Garl Vinland, the true Dark Souls 2 reveals itself.

#19 Edited by AMyggen (2786 posts) -

Dark Souls is one of the most interesting modern game to speedrun, so really looking forward to see how fast these guys manage to speedrun DS 2.

#20 Posted by hippocrit (238 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I think Great Resonant Soul is only OP in the context of speed runs. In standard play there are too many other things to use souls on, so you have to be judicious. It's still amazing, just not the end all be all.

#21 Posted by Turambar (6714 posts) -

@zevvion said:

As many have said, this can be done faster. But it's still one hell of a first(ish) attempt. Kudo's. I don't think I'll ever speedrun this game. Not seriously anyway. I'll probably rush through it sometime, but I won't measure times and retry until I hit a decent time.

I'm going to guess you're going to see someone break under an hour pretty soon.

I'm interested in seeing how fast an optimized Red Tearstone Ring run can be. You can't get it as fast as DkS1 anymore, but it's still obtainable fairly early on since you can get a Fragrant Branch of Yore right past the bone brothers.

#22 Edited by Sterling (2146 posts) -

@hippocrit: It only costs 500 souls to max power. Its not that many. And if you go into a boss battle solo you can take him out with just a few casts. It is pretty OP. But like I said earlier not as bad as Climax. Which scales with 5,000 souls. But also takes all the souls you have on you. So even if you had 290,000 souls and you cast it, it uses them all, but only scales with 5,000.

#23 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@sterling: You can only cast climax once realistically, not really enough by the time you get the spell.

#24 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

@turambar: I saw noobest beat it in sub 1h15 just this morning (march 31st). I think that video is already outdated.

In typical Finnish fashion he seemed totally detached from the whole thing, like zero hype at all...it was still cool to watch.

#25 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@vinny_says: That's the 1.00 version so you can bypass the shrine of winter which negates around 30% of the run (and the hardest part); not quite as dumb as the lord soul skip in Dark Souls but along the same lines of stupidity. Just watching the first parts of it I could tell that Noobest wouldn't be proud of the run in a general context; if it can be improved by a lot that's not good enough for a speedrunner.

#26 Posted by ADAMWD (580 posts) -

Love the way he kills the Pursuer.

#27 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

@vinny_says: Noobest wasn't excited because he knows these are still very early days for runs on a recently released game. The fastest times right now aren't important as the run is very unoptimized and new records are likely to happen on a daily basis for months to come. It takes time for speedrunning community to break down a game to the point that world record times stick around for a while before being broken again.

A new WR on Dark Souls 2 right now is relatively meaningless accomplishment; whereas a new record in Mario 64, for instance, would be a bigger deal.

#28 Posted by Aegon (5473 posts) -

Easier than Pinwheel? Surley you must be jesting (haven't played DSII yet).

#29 Posted by Scratch (628 posts) -

Mesmerizing. I'm sure there will be even more efficient methods.

#30 Posted by groin (845 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

WR is like 1:30 right now; fastest way to do it is use 3 ascetics on Old Iron King; Naked Macing is the record but hexes could potentially be faster just due to general OPness. No deaths (on NG) is harder than a 1:45 run. No deaths/no bonfires (on NG) is much harder than any of the speed runs going right now.

Speedrunner Distortion2 had a deathless speedrun that was WR for a few days. All these runs will eventually be optimized to the point where any death will make the runner reset just like in DS1. No bonfires is trivial compared to these runs because you can still level up and there is no time pressure.

@vinny_says: That's the 1.00 version so you can bypass the shrine of winter which negates around 30% of the run (and the hardest part); not quite as dumb as the lord soul skip in Dark Souls but along the same lines of stupidity. Just watching the first parts of it I could tell that Noobest wouldn't be proud of the run in a general context; if it can be improved by a lot that's not good enough for a speedrunner.

The 1.00 run is the most difficult category to run at the moment. You get into the castle way underleveled. Most of the bosses will 1 shot you and you do way less damage than the hex or dual maces run. I am looking forward to that classic fredchuckdave humbleness :)

#31 Posted by Sarumarine (2214 posts) -

@aegon said:

@sarumarine said:

Easier than Pinwheel? Surley you must be jesting (haven't played DSII yet).

It would be pretty close. Even if you don't push Dragonrider off a cliff, his attacks are so easy to avoid and he's really easy to get behind and wreck. Not to mention the NPC summon they put outside his boss area so if you didn't want to waste any time on a bad boss, that guy can help you crush him easy.

Pinwheel can at least clone himself enough times until his magic kills you in two hits if you're not staying on top of things.

#32 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@groin: No bonfires and no deaths at the same time. The hard part of the 1.00 run is not screwing up the jumps; other than that it's spin to win/10 less bosses.

#33 Posted by groin (845 posts) -

@groin: No bonfires and no deaths at the same time. The hard part of the 1.00 run is not screwing up the jumps; other than that it's spin to win/10 less bosses.

The speedrunners would disagree with you on that.

#34 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@groin: The speedrunners don't really have any categorical knowledge of what is difficult; it's against turbo nerd cred to say something is difficult and they basically never do; other than normal-ish people like Ela.

#35 Posted by groin (845 posts) -

@groin: The speedrunners don't really have any categorical knowledge of what is difficult; it's against turbo nerd cred to say something is difficult and they basically never do; other than normal-ish people like Ela.

Oh sorry, are you saying that you do? Have you attempted these runs to judge their difficulty? I forgot I was talking to the best Injustice, Starcraft, DS1, DS2, etc player. Are you going to cite statistics and percentages that have no data behind them to prove me wrong?

#36 Edited by Zevvion (1840 posts) -

This doesn't make much sense. Speedrunners will have completed a game at the very least twice normally before attempting their first speed run. They need a keen understanding of the game to do so. It is incredibly hard to do a successful speedrun without being really good at the game.

#37 Posted by Kaos999 (56 posts) -

@fred

Wow. Who appointed you the resident expert on all things Souls. Speedrunners have no idea what difficulty is? They haven't already played the game the "normal" way to be able to judge? And whose to say what's difficult for you is difficult for them?

Lastly, have you done a speed run? Please tell us the "best" strategy that should be adhered to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.