Dark Souls II Edge Article with new information.

• 74 results
#51 Posted by freakin9 (1085 posts) -

@Deusx said:

@freakin9: You should review your OP, it's very easy to misunderstand what you said man.

Hard to understand maybe, but you did read stuff into it as well. But it's fine, no problem.

I'd really like it if I were able to play Dark Souls 2 and have it get back most of the love I lost for the series playing Dark Souls 1. Hopefully something about what I read in the future about Dark Souls 2 gets me to actually play it.

#52 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@Deusx said:

@thabigred: Witcher 2 didn't appeal to the same crowd, at all. But I see your point, the UI and menus do need a major make over.

I distinctly remember tons of Demon Souls fans singing Witcher 2's praises upon release.

#53 Posted by Deusx (1902 posts) -

@thabigred said:

@Deusx said:

@thabigred: Witcher 2 didn't appeal to the same crowd, at all. But I see your point, the UI and menus do need a major make over.

I distinctly remember tons of Demon Souls fans singing Witcher 2's praises upon release.

That's because Witcher 2 is a good game and an RPG, it's obviously in the same vein but I wouldn't go as far as to say both games have the same fan base. Soul's fans tend to be crazy peple like me.

I still have to find time to listen to this one but will comment on it later tonight!

ENB represent yo!

#54 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

I can't say that I am feeling the same way as ENB does (yet maybe), but he's very articulate and makes it very clear and understanding on why he feels the way he does. Can't hate on the dude no matter what even if I were to disagree with him.

#55 Posted by arch4non (442 posts) -

I'm a bit worried about the direction they're taking the game in. Part of what made Dark Souls awesome is the fact you have all your abilities right out of the gate, you didn't have to talk to some NPC or fill up a skill tree to unlock parrying, it was just something you could do. You could also go wherever you wanted, you didn't have to play the game in the same order every time.

Limiting player options can mean many things, I think limiting their abilities (ie: unlocking skills) makes the least amount of sense. What makes slightly more sense would be restricting the respawning in some way similar to Demon's Souls where you're forced to get familiar with the death mechanics. What makes even more sense would be simply limiting the places you can go right out of the tutorial section. A lot of people were confused when they got to Firelink, couldn't figure out where to go, then just gave up on the game. If players were directed towards the Undead Asylum a bit better you probably wouldn't have had as many people quit playing, something the developers probably noticed and wanted to address.

#56 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I need it now. Knowing that it'll be 2014 before I get to play it is going to KILL ME!

So just over 12 months away...

#57 Posted by masterpaperlink (1829 posts) -

really hope the series doesn't loose its strong sense of direction/purpose. If they truly are changing course to appeal to pre established consumer "taste", then its real disappointing because i feel this series was on the verge of changing how all games were made.

#58 Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -

I believe they'll make the right changes to the game while still making Dark Souls Dark Souls. Combat wise will be a bit unsure of since he work on Another Century Episode, a mecha game, that is completely different to a souls game but there are some areas where souls combat can improve.

#59 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

Miyazaki stepping down (forcible removed?) has me pretty worried in all honesty.

#60 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

ughhhhhhhhh trying not to worry but it isn't working

#61 Edited by HerbieBug (4197 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

Guessing it'll probably be a next gen title.

Yeah I get that impression as well. Might be one of those 50/50 releases that bridges the gap between gens, releasing on both current hardware and the new hardware simultaneously.

@thabigred said:

They could clean up the UI, inventory system and menus. All those things are things that could make it more accessible. Witcher 2 had all those things,and that game appealed to the same crowed. Something they could fix that I'm sure some of you will fucking hate me for saying is having tighter collision detection, that doesn't detract from the animation priority and would go a long way to making it more accessible. I'm sure it would also make the game easier for many, and would be unwelcomed.

Agreed. The best direction to go in terms of increased accessibility is, in my opinion, centered almost entirely around menu systems and surfacing of information. It's something they worked on a bit going from Demon's to Darks with the way ore material was handled for weapons. They could easily go further with that, make it more upfront about explaining the sorts of ore you need in order to upgrade your weapon in the desired way, more straightforward and less random about where specific ore can be gotten. More detail given in the additional info tab. Maybe (and I understand this is controversial so don't jump down my throat here) have a map that fills in as you progress through the world.

Also in terms of gameplay, there is one thing that, again, may be controversial, I think they could change: I don't think it is necessary to hide merchants and bonfires. I don't think doing that adds anything to the meaningful challenge of the gameplay. This is the primary reason I preferred Demon's hub world to Dark's open map. Most of your merchants and trainers were centrally located together, much less hoofing around just to sell and upgrade your items.

#62 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

To me it sounds like they want to streamline the beginning of the experience. It can still be good and cool. With some more focus in the beginning they can afford to tell a more clear story and explain the mechanics so when they let you go on and do your business everyone will understand what the point of the game is. I really believe that that is important.

Think it in this way. Dark Souls is our generations original Xcom. That game was not only hard as nails but also extremly unclear how it worked. Xcom: Enemy Unknown worked out a lot of those kinks but kept the difficulti when at the same time being fair. It is in other words completely possible to solve such a problems. Both games seems to have walked simular paths when it comes to people not believing that the development team would pull it off.

It's to early to already be so damn sceptical. As someone said before, have some faith in From Software. People are soooo easy to get upset today.

From an outsiders perspective

I also want to point out that I have not played either Souls game. it's not really my cup of tea but I really dig it on a conceptual level. There is a lot here that seems interesting and cool.

It seems quite clear that Dark Souls 2 may be a next gen game. Edge tells us that it looks kinda amazing. That means that namco Bandai is putting a lot of effort and money into this game. That also means that it's a very logical step to make it less obtuse and hard to get into since this clearly may be a expensive game to produce. If Namco Bandai is going all in on this then they want to see some cash flow back and that happens through accesibility. We would never see such large amounts of money being put into this franchise if Namco Bandai didn't think they could expand the audience and you don't expand the audince by just doing the exact same thing.

So my guess is that either Dark Souls 2 would have been a less prioritized game and would not have got the AAA treatment by Namco Bandai or it could end up just like Dark Souls 2 seems to have done. You either content being a nische game for a small audience or you try to expand. I do not think in any way that Dark Souls 2 is going for the CoD player market. It's not that extreme. It want's to expand but not among that crowd. As I said in the beginning, I think this has to do with being more clear what your game is about and how it works. I have a hard time believing that From Software don't understand the weight of their task up ahead. It would be naive to think that.

The only think you can really hope for is that they walk the right and balanced path and it's also way to early to judge what path they have taken already.

#63 Posted by Animasta (14640 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@arch4non said:

A lot of people were confused when they got to Firelink, couldn't figure out where to go, then just gave up on the game. If players were directed towards the Undead Asylum a bit better you probably wouldn't have had as many people quit playing, something the developers probably noticed and wanted to address.

Give new players a Navi to contend with.

"Hey! Listen! Stay away from the graveyard. Those skeletons will bend you over and take you to brown-town."

nah, should be the ghost of solaire

#64 Posted by HerbieBug (4197 posts) -

@Dogma

You should play these games! They aren't nearly as obtuse to get in to as common parlance would indicate. Dark Souls in particular starts out easy enough once you realized that you need to be taking path of least resistance initially.

#65 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

@HerbieBug: I have actually seen both games being played. One of them to completion. But i know it's not my thing. it's not that much about difficulty but rather that I don't have the patience or time for these kind of games. As I said I still appreciate them for what they do but it is not my thing. Fantasy to begin with is not something I enjoy that much but of Dragon Age, Skyrim and the Souls games the last ones are those that are most compelling to me.

#66 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

@Dogma

You should play these games! They aren't nearly as obtuse to get in to as common parlance would indicate. Dark Souls in particular starts out easy enough once you realized that you need to be taking path of least resistance initially.

Yeah, I really wish people would stop pushing these games so hard on people. I too respect everything about the series, but I paid $60 just to find out that these games are not made for everyone, myself included, and thats fine. Its possible to respect things and never want to go near them.

Also, Dark Souls is incredibly obtuse, the menu/equipping system is awkward, none of the stats are explained in any meaningful way, and this thread inspired me to check out how far I had actually made it before stopping. I knew there were two bells you were supposed to ring, and I've only now found out I passed the first one about 3 hours before hand and that I'm essentially way over my head.

#67 Posted by Lysergica33 (517 posts) -

Despite all the nay-saying and talk of doom and gloom amidst the Souls community, I have to say this has me pretty excited. I think the "accessibility" will come in the form of an expanded, improved tutorial which I can't see being a bad thing in the slightest. That and the idea of the fundamental plotline actually having more to it before you start looking into the lore is highly enticing. There's very little story motivation to play those games. A few friends have borrowed both Demons and Dark Souls off me before now and enjoyed the game part of the game heavily but they all desired more story. I was the only one in said group of people who played and enjoyed those games that wasn't left wanting for story, but I'm the only one out of us that has spent hours and hours of my life pouring through forums, wiki's and youtube looking to devour any and all lore related to those games. More tangible story in the Souls games wouldn't be a bad thing. Try and count the actual tangible story beats in Dark Souls.. Arriving in Lordran, ringing bell 1, ringing bell 2, meeting frampt, getting the lordvessel... Ending.. The lore is rich, the plot is paper thin. They can still provide the rich lore while actually giving you more of a plot-based motivation to continue playing, and from the sounds of it that's exactly what we're going to get.

Also I am super, super pleased that this is probably going to be a next-gen title. Dark Souls is one of the most artistically and graphically gorgeous games of all time in my eyes. The PC version with DSFix is pure eye candy from start to finish, so knowing that this is going to look better in terms of fidelity and have more subtle touches to make the world seem even more alive is very exciting.

#68 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Another franchise ruined. Oh well, it's not like I have any more expectations when it comes to this blasted industry.

#69 Posted by Cubidog1 (211 posts) -

I think the combat should remain just as difficult. The game should explain all the different systems in it though like humanity and upgrading your weapons. Of course new locations and monsters are required. Thats all I want out of a sequel. I don't care about the story in these games.

#70 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

I am really concerned about the fact that Miyazaki isn't on the project and apparently supervisor is just making sure they get their shit done on time and not advising aspects of the game but he may be too busy with the other project he's directing which has me really interested what that project is. Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about it and i guess I'm holding my breathe until a gameplay trailer comes out. While I didn't find anything other than the tutorial level obtuse, I understand i came from demon's souls and had a clear understanding of how the systems worked since they stayed basically the similar. This maybe asking a little too much, but maybe a tutorial level similar to demon's souls where you go through an entire level and they explain the mechanics to you and they could use both the mechanics they already have in place like the summon signs and npc but add pop up hints that they force you to read them b/c i'm pretty sure most people would just skip them if they weren't forced to read them which i think is the main problem. Maybe they also give you a weapon to upgrade to teach you how let you upgrade it to +5 or whatever but they kill you like in demons and take it away and you start the game with your starting equip. They should also let you skip out of it and go straight to the main game for players who don't want to go through the tutorial level. I think something like that would teach them how the basics worked and how to understand the mechanics in the game.

#71 Posted by mordukai (7128 posts) -

The return of server based PVP brings tears to my eyes. However, I'm still hoping for a direct sequel for Demon's Souls. Bar non, the most unique game experiences I've had this generation.

#72 Posted by colorbrandon (160 posts) -

@mordukai said:

The return of server based PVP brings tears to my eyes. However, I'm still hoping for a direct sequel for Demon's Souls. Bar non, the most unique game experiences I've had this generation.

I hope they reconsider the post-tragedy, sparsely populated worlds both games have taken place in. I wonder how Fromsoft will deal with vibrancy. If they are brave enough to make another tired world, I might as well play an earlier game in the Souls franchise.

#73 Posted by steve25 (1 posts) -

Their going to wreck this game, "more accessible"? The only words I want to see when referring to a new Dark Souls is "harder, longer, more enemies, bigger bosses, more armor/weapons"

I would buy the game if all they said was "Dark Souls 2, exact same game, new world", and I would have been ecstatic

Oh well, lets just hope when they say "more accessible", they mean its an optional mode

I haven't seen a game yet that can stack up to the combat in Dark Souls, so as long as they keep that the same, Ill probably buy it. Actually, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't buy it anyway

#74 Posted by TangoUp (307 posts) -

@steve25:

Demon Souls depressed the fuck out of me so if Dark S 2 is less like Christopher Nolan's version of a fantasy game, I might give it a chance.

That said, I can see why fans of the first two games might be upset about the change.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.