Dark Souls II Lore Talk

#1 Posted by Nonused (212 posts) -

In honor of that sweet piece of coverage provided to us by the venerable IGN.com, I thought it would be nice to have a discussion on what we think is going on in the Dark Souls II universe (based on what we've seen so far).

So, what's up? Dragons, son. A mansion of them. And bonfires are back, as are Estus Flasks. Does this mean it's all a prequel? Has it been confirmed that it is? Any characters you think might be returning? If this is a prequel, I'd like to see baby Seath.

#2 Edited by psylah (2162 posts) -

Smarmy the Crow this time.

#3 Posted by Sterling (2078 posts) -

I don't remember seeing the flasks, those were healing stones they showed in the video, unless I missed him switching to a flask.

Also, new enemy and AI looks fantastic.

And all I know right now, is this game will not come out soon enough. Me needs it in my veins. I am ready.

#4 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

It would have to be, dragons are basically extinct in dark souls

#5 Posted by Aegon (5403 posts) -

@jz said:

No, there was that valley of dragons and there were plenty of dragon bosses.

#6 Edited by Nonused (212 posts) -

@aegon: I've been told those were drakes. I have multiple sources. And, yes, there were dragons, but they were all undead or they were Seath. Again, not sure, but dragons being there makes me think this is a prequel.

@rabidcentipede: In the QA session that IGN had, the director said Estus Flasks were coming back.

#7 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

You praise the sun.

#8 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

So many dragons being shown definitely makes me think prequel. Unless dragons somehow manage to return to the land after the first game. Or maybe they're just drakes again and the lead guy isn't clarifying that point.

#9 Edited by c_rakestraw (824 posts) -

@mentaldisruption said:

So many dragons being shown definitely makes me think prequel. Unless dragons somehow manage to return to the land after the first game. Or maybe they're just drakes again and the lead guy isn't clarifying that point.

I'm pretty sure the guy clearly said drakes were what was swarming that castle. The big skeleton, on the other hand, was a dragon. Said something about experiments being done on ancient dragons.

@aegon said:

@jz said:

No, there was that valley of dragons and there were plenty of dragon bosses.

Only a couple: Seath, one of the two remaining dragons (the other being the one that runs the Path of the Dragon covenant in Ash Lake), and Kalameet, who's part of the DLC that takes you to the past. The valley you mention is full of drakes -- considered to be the lesser cousins of dragons.

EDIT: Forgot about the Gaping Dragon! That makes three.

#10 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: Ah ok, guess I misheard what he said was swarming the castle. I kind of tuned him out when I was looking at that environment.

#11 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

I know they said it takes place on another part of the same planet, but do we have some kind of confirmation on a timeframe in relation to Dark Souls?

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4036 posts) -

You already time travelled in the first game so even if there are dragons in DS2 that doesn't mean it's a prequel.

#13 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

Still can't figure out if this is in the past or the future. Calling it Dark Souls 2 infers that its continuing from where Dark Souls 1 left off but their are dragons or talk of dragons or something like that so that kind of infers that it takes place before DKS1 since there's no dragon talk in the game expect for the dlc but that took place centuries earlier.

#14 Posted by Nonused (212 posts) -

@snakelinksonic: I don't think they've said anything, but at this point I'm starting to believe that the timeline is happening concurrently with the original Dark Souls. That might be rad, especially if events that occurred in the original game affect what happens in this game.

#15 Posted by Lyisa (328 posts) -

@snakelinksonic: I don't have it in front of me, but from the interview after the VGA announcement I thought they said it took place after Dark Souls.

#16 Posted by TheHT (10891 posts) -

Would be nice if there wasn't a connection to Dark Souls 1. Just another souls game in another world with another story.

#17 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Time is distorted in the Dark Souls universe. There's probably no actual timeframe within a chronological timeline that it takes place, other than it being between cycles of the dark.

#18 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

If it takes place after DrkS, then I'm curious how dragons come back into the mix; though to be fair, the video specified them as wyverns.

#19 Posted by Nonused (212 posts) -

@theht: That's what I was hoping, but there's definitely a connection between the two. It's a shame, but maybe Miyazaki is working on the next Souls game. That'd be cool.

#20 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Most people don't know. But Rickenbacker from the movie Sunshine dies and becomes Solaire of Astora.... They always wanted to be one with the sun, so grossly incandescent.

#21 Edited by jclane (336 posts) -

@nonused said:

@theht: That's what I was hoping, but there's definitely a connection between the two. It's a shame, but maybe Miyazaki is working on the next Souls game. That'd be cool.

Demon's Souls 2: The World Needs Mending Again: Revengeance

#22 Posted by c_rakestraw (824 posts) -

Still can't figure out if this is in the past or the future. Calling it Dark Souls 2 infers that its continuing from where Dark Souls 1 left off but their are dragons or talk of dragons or something like that so that kind of infers that it takes place before DKS1 since there's no dragon talk in the game expect for the dlc but that took place centuries earlier.

I think a sequel in this case just means another story in the world of Dark Souls. Lordran was only a very small part of the world. There's still plenty that we haven't seen or been told about that world. Allows them plenty of freedom to explore story-wise.

The reveal trailer is the only thing that suggests there's dragons (kinda looked a bit similar to Kalameet), and even then, it could just be another straggler like the one in Ash Lake. The mansion only alluded to dragons being experimented on ages ago, not that they were still alive. Drakes seem to be the only dragon-like being still in existence.

#23 Posted by mosespippy (4036 posts) -

@theht said:

Would be nice if there wasn't a connection to Dark Souls 1. Just another souls game in another world with another story.

I don't want them to throw away the rich lore of Dark Souls 1 and start again. If you set the game somewhere like Vinheim, Astora or Balder instead of Lordran then the game can still feel like a completely new and original setting. You get to keep the gods & their covenants and some of the world history so it still feels like Dark Souls but still get new lore.

#24 Posted by golguin (3843 posts) -

Time is distorted in the Dark Souls universe. There's probably no actual timeframe within a chronological timeline that it takes place, other than it being between cycles of the dark.

This is what I was telling someone in the other thread about which ending the game would take as canon. It could be possible that both endings would be represented in a multiverse sort of way. There were multiple undead warriors trying to "beat the game" so why would a single Chosen Undead determine the world when it's happening throughout time.

#25 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

that place looked alot like the painted world , in summer or something ..

#26 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4598 posts) -

@golguin said:

@shadowconqueror said:

This is what I was telling someone in the other thread about which ending the game would take as canon. It could be possible that both endings would be represented in a multiverse sort of way. There were multiple undead warriors trying to "beat the game" so why would a single Chosen Undead determine the world when it's happening throughout time.

No matter which ending you pick, the Dark Lord ending happens. Linking the fire is only a delaying tactic by Gwyn in hopes of giving his heirs and allies enough time to figure out a permanent solution and they didn't. The next best thing to continue the Age of Fire is to send a worthy Undead to gather the remaining Lord Souls and link the fire again. The thing is that Dark will eventually, always, win. The fire will fade and only Dark will remain. So the ending comes down to accepting the natural order of things or delaying the inevitable.

That's part of why I think Dark Souls 2 looks so interesting. It could quite clearly be a sequel considering the lack of population. We could be travelling the area as the world takes its last gasp before Dark consumes everything. I find that to be interesting, at least.

#27 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Not going to speculate on whether this is a prequel or time distortion because ultimately I trust FromSoftware to come up with something cool and unique that ties it all in one form or another. I, for one, am just glad there will be dragons. In other words: FUCK YEAH DRAGONS WOOOO!!!

*cough

#28 Posted by JackSukeru (5904 posts) -

This may have just been me, but I always tought that the dragon hidden in ash lake was a sign that the dragons might not be all gone yet. Its appearence kind of reminds me of a baby chick, it's fuzzy and it sits snuggly in its nest while you offer it things. A chick is of course a symbol of new life, though I'm not sure the dragons in dark Souls can even breed considering that they are apparently not even alive to begin with.

Still, with the countless archtrees off in the distance could it really be the only one?

I'm personally hoping for a dragon comeback in Dark Souls 2.

#29 Edited by kishinfoulux (2255 posts) -

This seems like an appropriate thread to dump this off in. ENB gives his thoughts on the the gameplay reveal trailer. Always love hearing from him.

#30 Edited by solarking3 (1 posts) -

in the announcement trailer there is a dragon that looks a lot like Kalamet. however in the game play footage there are bonfires

so it could be set between Gwyn linking the bonfires and the fall of Oolacile where Kalamet shows up and is killed by the player

#31 Edited by GotToFail (1 posts) -

the dragons you see look more like the normal dragons like the hellkite and not the everlasting dragons that wher killed so maybe this is in an other region of dark souls where there are normal dragons that live there

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.