Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Dark Souls II PC Tips and Hints Thread

• 123 results
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@aegon said:

The Last Giant is fucking WRECKING me...damn. I've only been leveling endurance (started as swordsman), so my vigor is only 4. That might have something to do with it, but the fact is that even with all that endurance, if I manage to block a hit, all of it is drained and I'm staggered. Cray cray. Also Pate can't do shit against him.

I'm assuming this is the first boss most people face, right?

It was the first I faced if you don't count the initial Pursuer encounter.

Just circle around his legs and slash when you're behind him, watching for his stomps and backing away accordingly. The only tough spot is his swipes when you're caught in front of him, but just roll between his legs as he winds up and you're fine.

Try locking is right foot and staying behind it. In general it is safer than the left foot for some weird reason.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@aegon said:

The Last Giant is fucking WRECKING me...damn. I've only been leveling endurance (started as swordsman), so my vigor is only 4. That might have something to do with it, but the fact is that even with all that endurance, if I manage to block a hit, all of it is drained and I'm staggered. Cray cray. Also Pate can't do shit against him.

I played a swordsman to start, and my strategy was to run in between his legs before it attacked, and then attack from behind after it made its move. With all that stamina, you shouldn't have a problem running and attacking. And yes, The Last Giant is pretty much the first boss, and it's considered an easy fight too.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@aegon said:

I played a swordsman to start, and my strategy was to run in between his legs before it attacked, and then attack from behind after it made its move. With all that stamina, you shouldn't have a problem running and attacking. And yes, The Last Giant is pretty much the first boss, and it's considered an easy fight too.

I definitely didn't have such a problem with the first few demon's / dark souls bosses.

:(

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Aegon

Alright, I was able to beat him with the strategy you guys gave me. Wasn't so difficult once I knew to lure him and run under his legs. The difficult part is recovering if he hits you. If you're in a corner then you're done.

I think I'm gonna cash in the Giant's soul. The weapon you get from trading it doesn't appear to scale with dex.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I don't know if this was a good idea or not but I've been playing based off of the loot I have and to improve where I'm having problems. I try to make battle mages in the Souls games so I pick a sorcerer and build up their strength and dexterity so that he can use a one-handed weapon and a shield.

In this game I got the full armor set 'Old Knight'. It's really good but heavy. I could have worn it when I first got it but couldn't roll well. So I farmed souls to raise VIT to increase my equipment load letting me roll as fast as I like while wearing really good armor.

So I suppose my tip is to adapt to the game and don't be too stubborn about your build. Build your character to adapt to the way you find yourself fighting and the loot you get.

Also, a good way to prepare for a boss is to run the level over and over until the enemies despawn. That way you can raise 1-5-ish levels before taking on the boss.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@aegon said:

yeah. I found targeting his body useful so you can see his swipes, instead of blocking or rolling away roll between his legs, stay behind him. His stomps are really slow and easy to dodge as well, then all you have to do is not get greedy with trying to take too much health away at one time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ripelivejam

fuck this game. losing souls is not the same here as you're pretty much losing them FOREVER. FUCK. THIS. GAME.

i lost 1700 souls and i know that's a pittance but at this stage in the game it HURTS.

e: do they start disappearing even if you don't kill them? if so seriously FUCK this. i don't know why i even bother trying to get into these.

e: bt drunk tired and angry so i alt-f4ed out and will try again tomorry :)

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck this game. losing souls is not the same here as you're pretty much losing them FOREVER. FUCK. THIS. GAME.

i lost 1700 souls and i know that's a pittance but at this stage in the game it HURTS.

e: do they start disappearing even if you don't kill them? if so seriously FUCK this. i don't know why i even bother trying to get into these.

I think you need to kill them for them to despawn.

But if you're having soul problems, 1: Get the White Soapstone, 2: Turn Human, find a Bonfire with a lot of summon signs. 3: Put your summon sign down. 4: Buy a swimming pool for all those souls.

But if you're not doing multiplayer, then I have no suggestions. It's incredibly easy to get souls and it's basically zero risk. Also incredibly fun. I really need to find the SunBros soon.

@gruebacca said:
    @aegon said:

yeah. I found targeting his body useful so you can see his swipes, instead of blocking or rolling away roll between his legs, stay behind him. His stomps are really slow and easy to dodge as well, then all you have to do is not get greedy with trying to take too much health away at one time.

It's interesting to see the different ways people went about it. I never targeted his torso, always whichever leg was closer. But yeah, the main reasons I died as a phantom during that were getting greedy and being mid-animation as he stomped.

Also that body slam. That fucking body slam. Every time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i'm done with this. $30 wasted i suppose. but i can tell there's no hope if i just keep dying to low level enemies over, and over, and over. guess i suck and i'm sure you'll all tell me as much.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam:

Well, it might be your build too. Maybe before totally giving up try out a sorcerer. You can use magic to take down an enemie's health and then melee to finish him off. I think a sorcerer is a really nice class to allow for a lot of flexibility.

But if you don't feel like you're improving and want to stop you should. There's nothing wrong with that. At least you gave it a chance.

Myrmicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

e: bt drunk tired and angry so i alt-f4ed out and will try again tomorry :)

At first I felt like you but, in the end, you can gather plenty of souls, even with the despaning ennemies. You need to kill them a certain number of time for them to despawn. Plus, you can easily farm souls by helping others with the white sign soapstone.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's also not helping how fucking fast the weapons break.

DS1 was frustrating, but i think i only hit a real roadblock in blighttown.

restarting a build at this point would mean 3rd time so far. *sigh*

Myrmicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Now, now, that's not so bad. You have items hat allow you to redistribute our stats. This way, you can change your build without rerolling.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@ripelivejam: If you are having this much trouble with the game you are probably just missing something that you need to get used to. Can you describe where it goes wrong? Why you keep getting killed?

Also, you can use the White Soapstone to get summoned into other people's world and claim 50% (I think) of the souls whenever something gets killed, including bosses. If you truly need it, you can use this to farm souls. But yeah, 1700 souls is nothing. I lost 60.000 once and I thought: 'Eh... okay'.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Woo, beat the Last Giant! Facerolled through Heide's as well. I've got two bosses available to fight... Dragonrider and the other guy... gonna skip Pursuer because fuck that.

Talk about a wake-up call. I had just gotten used to everyone being either quick and low damage or slow and hard-hitting. Now I have super-quick AND hard-hitting to deal with. And here I was feeling all powerful beating down those big armored armadillo looking guys and the giant knights.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@zevvion said:

@ripelivejam: If you are having this much trouble with the game you are probably just missing something that you need to get used to. Can you describe where it goes wrong? Why you keep getting killed?

Also, you can use the White Soapstone to get summoned into other people's world and claim 50% (I think) of the souls whenever something gets killed, including bosses. If you truly need it, you can use this to farm souls. But yeah, 1700 souls is nothing. I lost 60.000 once and I thought: 'Eh... okay'.

Yeah I would like to help too. What builds have you tried? What have you dumped points into? What enemies are killing you the most. Have no doubt, some of the enemies in the giants section are incredibly tough at first.

Also like everyone else has said, you can just throw your soapstone down wherever and help people. Heck you don't even need to be human, just place it whenever. If you succeed in beating the boss all your weapons durability full, estus fills and you become human. Oh and lets not forget the bucket full of souls you will get each time.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The pro-est of tips:

(kind of a refined version of a tip that people already posted above really)

When you get to the boss, drop your White Soapstone. Help someone else fight the boss first. Even if you are a purist and want to kill all the bosses by yourself personally, you can still do that afterward. Get summoned to a new boss, this will let you see what the fight is like in relative safety, meaning no deaths to attacks you didn't know about, it's free practice, not having to get to the boss through all the mobs again if you die, it's free souls and no risk to loosing your own; you get your humanity restored right before your own boss fight and all your shit fixed and refiled; it really is a perfect setup to doing it yourself.

Especially right now at launch there are a lot of people on the PC playing so summons to bosses are happening very frequently.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

He's technically the first boss in the game, so yes.

What I find works is to run to the opposite side of the arena and wait for him to approach. Once he does, run underneath him as he tries to strike. Once you're behind him, you can easily get an attack or two in and still escape unscathed. Works best if you don't lock-on. Do it right and you should be able to get through it without taking any damage. Just watch out for that rare falling move he does. That thing will wreak you.

Also, don't bother with summoning Pate. You're better off summoning actual players instead.

Ya, the early game with the swordsman is a bit of a pita.

Have you gotten the heide sword and fire long sword? both can be obtained before this battle. And using them - in this battle I think specifically the fire sword - makes a big difference.

You might also want to level up a bit and pump that vig stat. Heide tower and the dragonrider are a good oppt for that. And the NPC outside of dragonriders arena is actually useful too.

finally, also in Heides tower, but to the left, is a drawbridge. Lower it. If you ran past the enemies they will kill you now. So run back again, up the bridge and grab the ring in the chest. it helps keep your health in undead form. don't step through to the boss battle yet.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@handlas said:

As for a tip... ummm. It blew my mind when someone told me that grave/tomb thing at the tutorial area with the 2 hippo monsters changes your gender. Before I knew that I took my armor off at one point and had boobs and was perplexed since I had chosen to be male.

THAT'S what that does? I climbed into that thing like 5 hours of game time ago and still hadn't noticed any difference. My character looked the same under all that armor. I guess that's a testament to both my terrible attention to detail and From Software's admirable dedication to sensible, practical unisex armor designs (compared to chainmail bikinis and breastplates with cleavage windows). I'll need to head back to return VBomb to her original self as VBombshell.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

@handlas said:

As for a tip... ummm. It blew my mind when someone told me that grave/tomb thing at the tutorial area with the 2 hippo monsters changes your gender. Before I knew that I took my armor off at one point and had boobs and was perplexed since I had chosen to be male.

THAT'S what that does? I climbed into that thing like 5 hours of game time ago and still hadn't noticed any difference. My character looked the same under all that armor. I guess that's a testament to both my terrible attention to detail and From Software's admirable dedication to sensible, practical unisex armor designs (compared to chainmail bikinis and breastplates with cleavage windows). I'll need to head back to return VBomb to her original self as VBombshell.

Well "practical" is stretching it ;P

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

So I've just started the PC version and promised myself that I wouldn't go straight to a wiki like I did with the original. That's both exciting and bloody scary because I have no freaking idea what I'm doing. I feel like I'll screw up every turn. Already used an item on that birds nest because that weird voice wanted something smooth, it did nothing. But I do have a quick question:

How do the torches work? I had one and used one but I think it must have ran out, do you find them out in the world.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#72  Edited By BBAlpert

So I've just started the PC version and promised myself that I wouldn't go straight to a wiki like I did with the original. That's both exciting and bloody scary because I have no freaking idea what I'm doing. I feel like I'll screw up every turn. Already used an item on that birds nest because that weird voice wanted something smooth, it did nothing. But I do have a quick question:

How do the torches work? I had one and used one but I think it must have ran out, do you find them out in the world.

You do find more torches, sometimes several at a time. Each torch you pick up adds 5(?) minutes to your torch time (visible on the equip menu). When you light a torch, the timer counts down until it reaches zero or you do something to put out the flame (such as swapping to a weapon or shield in your left hand or rolling around in water). When the torch is out, you can light it again at a bonfire or any of the sconces that you've lit previously.

As for what the torches/sconces DO, I don't know. Maybe they have some benefit other than making the area a little bit brighter, but if they do, I haven't found it.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73  Edited By The_Nubster

Can anyone help me unlock the Blacksmith's house? I've beaten the Last Giant and now I'm just kind of running around aimlessly with nowhere to go. I've had a run-in with my hovering friend in silver armour, but I'm not strong enough to deal with him yet, and I feel like I've tapped out any other potential path in Forest of Fallen Giants. From Majula, there seems to be nowhere to go, but I would definitely like to upgrade some of my weapons, but I don't know how to unlock the blacksmith's house.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster:

There's a merchant at the second bonfire at, I believe, the giant zone that sells it. She's an old lady with a big thing on her back.

urthmover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By urthmover

@rethla: HILARIOUS! For the past few days I've been wondering why it looks like my "guy" had a big rack. I can't wait to get home to check to see if he is a she.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jasonr86 said:

@the_nubster:

There's a merchant at the second bonfire at, I believe, the giant zone that sells it. She's an old lady with a big thing on her back.

Oh wow. Thank you. I must have glossed over it while I was looking at her wares.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By MachoFantastico

@bbalpert said:

@machofantastico said:

You do find more torches, sometimes several at a time. Each torch you pick up adds 5(?) minutes to your torch time (visible on the equip menu). When you light a torch, the timer counts down until it reaches zero or you do something to put out the flame (such as swapping to a weapon or shield in your left hand or rolling around in water). When the torch is out, you can light it again at a bonfire or any of the sconces that you've lit previously.

As for what the torches/sconces DO, I don't know. Maybe they have some benefit other than making the area a little bit brighter, but if they do, I haven't found it.

Okay, so now that I've used up that first torch you obtain at the very beginning I'll have to wait till I find a new one. Understood. Starting to think if going down the route of not using a wiki is a good idea. :D

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Aegon

Whew, just got to the Lost Bastille. I think I'll end it there for today. Level 60 and beat 3 bosses so far. I fought Dragonrider Dragonslayer once, but I think someone in this thread said to take him on later. At what point would be best?

Also, I think I like the designs of the levels better in this game (artistically), unlike Brad. Something about them makes me more interested in the Lore. I'll probably watch those lore videos after I'm finished, cause I'm still not quite sure what exactly is happening (like most DS players).

Pic of current progress:

No Caption Provided

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#79  Edited By mrbubbles

Before you fight the smelter demon I recommend going to the doors of pharros and doing a little bit of grinding to get a gyrm greatshield (if you can use it) it blocks 100% physical and fire attacks. That coupled with summoning the NPC outside the boss door make that fight a LOT easier. I used that shield for the rest of the game as well. I also recommend getting the ring of life protection (for bosses) which lets you keep your souls and human form when you die, allowing you to summon again and be human without using another human effigy. If I died on a boss wearing the ring I would travel back to majula and get it repaired for 3000 souls, which you will probably make back running to the boss again.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Nah soul level 40+ is fine for dragon slayer. Just need one of two things. 1: Some jolly cooperation from summoned buddies .... or 2: A "good" shield. Such as the Draengleic Shield, Kite Shield (it is okay), or a good tower shield. Eagle Shield is not a good tower shield.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Random question: Could I use a Bonfire Ascetic to respawn all of my rat friends in the tomb of the saints, thus making my attempts at murdering fools that much more dangerous?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@arbitrarywater: oh man. OH MAN. You may be a genius. I really need to test that. Cause then theoretically it would make it harder for the gray spirit you pull in but it doesn't matter to you because they don't attack you. Rat covenant just got that much better.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By NeoCalypso

@arbitrarywater: @sackmanjones: This definitely works, but keep in mind that if you move onto NG+ you'll be forced to deal with the increased mobs yourself too. The Bonfire Ascetic effect doesn't go away when you beat the game it just gets added on. So if you use two ascetics and then go to NG+ the enemies there will be NG+++ difficulty.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck those assholes in the misty/foggy woods.

Not really a tip, I just felt like stating that.

That area is not conductive to my Caestus play style. Even fucking Chaos Storm and Flame Swathe wouldn't hit the fuckers.

Never going there again.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I wish. There might be but I have no idea. Even my large reaching triple arm sweep punch thing missed like 90% of the time, not to mention the giant fucking pillars of fire and magma from Chaos Storm whiffing. Just did a quick Google and it seems the trees just attract those jerks when you hit them. I stayed away from almost everything there and strained myself trying to plink one at a time to barely win a fight, until I got out of there.

That area would be way, way easier if I could just lock on and hit them goddamnit. Seriously, I rarely use Chaos Storm and the one place I need it, all of the casts miss. After I got past to the next bonfire I went back to Majula and roasted those rat things for stress relief. It got to the point where player ghosts were making me jump.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

Also, don't bother with summoning Pate. You're better off summoning actual players instead.

Okay stop right there. Yes I agree Pate fights like a completely retarded monkey and hits like a three year old girl. I have video evidence to back this up. However you might still want to summon Pate because summoning him for this fight is required to get his armor etc etc when you meet him at the next point in the game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@capum15: @dudeglove: No way to lock on to them, even with the miracle. You can draw them out one by one with a ranged weapon (or aimed spells), for melee any weapon with a decent horizontal arc (or plain decent hit area) will work really well, like a katana or a scythe or great/ultra sword or twinblade etc. That's one big disadvantage of cestus fists as weapon is the small hit box area.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I don't think that ring increases aggro range. It just makes enemies target you instead of co-op partners. That ring is useful when you have a boss locked down, but players keep dying on him. You can equip the ring so the boss targets you instead of the host to keep them alive. This worked very well for me when I was helping people out with Smelter Demon.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: There have been so many times when I should have punched something in the face but just missed...yeah, that area is just not suited for Caestus combat. Also those guys are crazy nimble.

@dudeglove: Yeah,even though I wasn't into the games then, I've heard stories of the pre-patch Ring of Fog in PvP and that would make sense. Seeing those piles of bloodstains just told me to stay the hell away from there.

That area has been the single hardest / most terrifying place I've been to so far, simply for the lack of lock-on. At least I didn't die, so that's something.

Also moving onto the next area with those...bull/tiger guys? and thinking "okay, time to unwind and lightning some dudes to death" was at the time, the biggest "fucking really?!" moment of the game. Just shrugging off multiple lightning spears like I was throwing pebbles (compared to me one-shotting those Iron Keep knights when I decided to grind that place for a while). At least my Caestus worked there. It's funny now that I'm passed it.

Oh, and that brings an actual tip: At the Shaded Ruins - smash the fuck out of pots with faces.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@karkarov said:

@c_rakestraw said:
    @aegon said:

Okay stop right there. Yes I agree Pate fights like a completely retarded monkey and hits like a three year old girl. I have video evidence to back this up. However you might still want to summon Pate because summoning him for this fight is required to get his armor etc etc when you meet him at the next point in the game.

You can still get it later on if you kill him instead of Creighton. You just have to buy it from Melentia is all.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can still get it later on if you kill him instead of Creighton. You just have to buy it from Melentia is all.

Meh better off doing it the easy way and saving the souls.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Smelter seems just a super dull boss made worse by having too many people in because of the HP buff he gets, and he already has enough fucking HP to begin with.

Nah, he doesn't have that much health. He has less health than Old Iron King. He is just armored and you should use a strike weapon on him. In any case, not a slash one.

I kind of like Smelter Demon. He is fun to fight because it relies on your dodging and timing skills, which I like. Also the reason why I think Velstadt is a great boss fight.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Retromancy

@arbitrarywater: Don't waste it there. Wait until you're in the Doors of Pharros and then use it at the Ordeal's End bonfire. I've used two so far there and the Primal Knights one hit people.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I guess so. He's not that much easier or harder than any other boss, I'd say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.