Dark Souls II PC Tips and Hints Thread

• 123 results
#101 Posted by Karkarov (3267 posts) -
@zevvion said:

@dudeglove: I guess so. He's not that much easier or harder than any other boss, I'd say.

Maybe he got nerfed, I found him noticeably more challenging than any other boss up to that point in the game when I got there. Of course I was playing offline and blind *shrug*.

#102 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12103 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Don't waste it there. Wait until you're in the Doors of Pharros and then use it at the Ordeal's End bonfire. I've used two so far there and the Primal Knights one hit people.

Oh right! I totally forgot that the rat covenant covers another area that I haven't reached yet.

#103 Edited by Capum15 (4987 posts) -

@dudeglove: Yeah, those minotaur jerks were just soaking up my Lightning Spears (didn't bother wasting Great/Sunlight ones, saved them for the Basilisk frog things) when I could slaughter Iron Keep with them. Still, all it took were two punches, dodge, two punches, dodge, and so on until they were all dead. I think they are just resistant to magic in general, because Flame Swath was doing similar damage to LS when that wrecks everything too. Didn't try Chaos Storm though.

And man, I can't destroy pots with wood arrows no matter how hard I try, unless it just takes like 20 and I stop too soon. If I could find an unlimited Iron Arrow merchant somewhere, I'd buy 999 of 'em. I already blew like, 50k souls on some 600 Poison Arrows. I just resorted to binoculars + Lightning Spear or Firebombs to take care of the pots.

Firebombs also saved me a lot of headache in Black Gulch. That place was pretty easy but holy shit the amount of statues. I've used way more Firebombs in this game than in DS1. So cheap to buy, too.

#104 Posted by dudeglove (8265 posts) -

@capum15: I believe blacksmith mcduff sells iron arrows infinitely, as well as the merchant in - of all places - the iron keep.

#105 Posted by Zevvion (2345 posts) -

@capum15: Yes, they have extremely high magic, fire and lightning defense. But backstabbing them works really well. They have no combo attacks. They just try to hit you once. So dodge, backstab and it's done.

#106 Posted by rocketboot (138 posts) -

@capum15: Throwing knives are another cheap and effective way to deal with pots.

#107 Posted by Capum15 (4987 posts) -

@rocketboot: Man, those are cheaper than dirt cheap, didn't even try them. That's a good idea.

@zevvion: Yeah, they're not too bad. It was just a nasty surprise after that damn fog area. "Finally, to sit back and lightning something to dea-oh god damnit."

@dudeglove: Oh awesome, forgot the Iron Keep guy existed. I'll check McDuff too. Need to go kill a few bosses now for souls to burn on those.

#108 Posted by CaptainJudaism (79 posts) -

@zevvion: Incorrect. The lion/minotaur things do have a 3-hit combo that deals absolutely insane damage but it's extremely rare for them to do it. Only seen it happen once and it was before I was able to 2-3 shot the guys.

#109 Edited by Zevvion (2345 posts) -

@captainjudaism: I had only seen the Golden Lion Clan Warrior use it, I assumed it was specific to him.

#110 Edited by EggMith (6 posts) -

@captainjudaism: You're right, they finish with a jumping attack, but it's extremely rare, nothing to care about.

#111 Edited by ripelivejam (4833 posts) -

man fuck this. i blew through all 7 of my human effigies and now i can't be summoned. :'(

and they're limited too, correct? GOD FUCK DARK SOUL

e: or i guess my sign still works but i can't see others? lel nub

#112 Posted by dudeglove (8265 posts) -

@ripelivejam: the dogs in lost Bastille (and maybe No Mans wharf) sometimes drop effigies. After a successful large white soapstone run, you will revert to human, with all equipment (unless it broke), spells and estus fully refilled. There's not much point in using effigies unless you're really struggling with a particular area, just drop your sign by a boss fog and get your boss rush on.

#113 Posted by Baillie (4281 posts) -

@ripelivejam: the dogs in lost Bastille (and maybe No Mans wharf) sometimes drop effigies. After a successful large white soapstone run, you will revert to human, with all equipment (unless it broke), spells and estus fully refilled. There's not much point in using effigies unless you're really struggling with a particular area, just drop your sign by a boss fog and get your boss rush on.

You don't always revert to human after fulfilling your duty as a phantom.

#114 Posted by Baillie (4281 posts) -

@ripelivejam: I think you just need to breathe and relax. Don't freak out when you die and storm back into battle. Take your time dealing with the enemies, don't throw out too many attacks to strong enemies. Get a shield that does 80%+ reduction of physical damage. Use to soak up the damage and to help learn the attacks of the enemies. Don't try taking on too many enemies at once. Relax and you'll eventually realise that the souls you are losing right now seriously are so little in comparison to what you can get.

Go to a boss area, such as the pursuer and stick down your summon sign. Farm those souls, rank up. Be happy.

#115 Posted by Karkarov (3267 posts) -

@baillie said:

@dudeglove said:

You don't always revert to human after fulfilling your duty as a phantom.

Actually yes you do. Originally you did not get human form back after a successful co op and it was intended that you were never supposed to get human form back from it. However people liked it so much From just patched it so that now every time you successfully co op as a summoned phantom with another player you get human form back.

#116 Posted by ripelivejam (4833 posts) -

@karkarov: @baillie: @dudeglove: thanks for the help duders. was kind of stuck at the old dragonslayer boss and wanted help, but tbh i've only tried fighting him a few times so i'm sure i'll overcome it. i'm actually quite a bit less frustrated now that i've made a tiny bit of progress, just was afraid that effigies were finite and/or there would be a point i couldn't restore my humanity. really enjoying doing co-op in any case, and it's starting to sting a bit less when i lose 4-7k souls.

going to try to see this through at least one playthrough and then maybe try to finally get past blighttown in DkS1. :D

#117 Posted by Karkarov (3267 posts) -

@ripelivejam: Yeah in all honesty Human Effigies are only there for people playing offline. If you are online the only reason to use one is to burn it to prevent invasions for an hour or if you are in a hurry and want body form right now.

#118 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

Does anyone know where to go to add those stones to my weapons so they can get an effect? I've already gone through a whole bunch of bosses and areas so it's hard to say exactly where I'm at but I haven't found a place to do that yet.

#119 Edited by Karkarov (3267 posts) -

@robothamster said:

Does anyone know where to go to add those stones to my weapons so they can get an effect? I've already gone through a whole bunch of bosses and areas so it's hard to say exactly where I'm at but I haven't found a place to do that yet.

You have to get the bastile key from the small area after belfry luna. Once you have that key you can open the locked door at the base of the stairs with the mummy dude and the big explosive barrel near the start of the level. Inside is the blacksmith who can infuse weapons. Once you find him you just need to go to the Iron Fortress and get the dull ember, it is in the small room beside where the initial Captain/Sniper mob is positioned, you know the one with the bridge and central room full of fire. Run the ember back to the blacksmith and you are good to go.

#120 Edited by Capum15 (4987 posts) -
@robothamster said:

Lost Bastille, but you need an item. More specifically: McDuff, I think, the Blacksmith. But you need the Dull Ember, which you get from the first bonfire area in Iron Keep (in the furnace area the boss fog gate is at), it's one of the loot items in the area.

Edit: @karkarov, you actually don't need the key. You can alternatively, and much, much more easily, use the barrel the big guy kicks down at you from the top of the stairs. If it stops near the wall, shoot it, and boom, no more wall. Open doorway and bonfire.

#121 Posted by Karkarov (3267 posts) -

@capum15 said:

Edit: @karkarov, you actually don't need the key. You can alternatively, and much, much more easily, use the barrel the big guy kicks down at you from the top of the stairs. If it stops near the wall, shoot it, and boom, no more wall. Open doorway and bonfire.

Hmm that's cute. Learn something new about Dark Souls every day. Part of why I like the games so much.

#122 Posted by Capum15 (4987 posts) -

@karkarov: Yeah, I've found a good chunk of secrets from co-oping and seeing what hosts had done, or other phantoms showing us.

This one was just pure luck for me though. Dodged out of the path of it and killed the dude, then threw a firebomb because I enjoy the light show. Was kinda stunned at the effect.

#123 Posted by Aegon (5821 posts) -

Fuck Velstadt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.