Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

DLC Plans?

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I am playing through Dark Souls for the third time so that I can finally get to all the DLC content that they have put into the game. When I was looking to see what the steps were for getting into the actual DLC part of the game, it seemed so backwards to me. I don't know if they weren't planning on doing anything for Dark Souls so they just tacked it on to the game in some elaborate fashion.

Has From Software talked at all about their DLC plans for Dark Souls II?

I don't imagine that a lot of people have played through the last DLC or even purchased it to justify making more.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The producer or director said there were no DLC plans for dark souls 2.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No DLC planned at the moment.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Depends on how successful it is, I imagine. They had no plans for DLC with Dark Souls either, but the Prepare to Die Edition gave them time and resources to polish up some cut sections of the game and include it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

While I really enjoyed the Artorias of the Abyss content, I kinda don't want DLC for Dark Souls II. The way they make you access the DLC for Dark Souls was completely crazy and if they do decide on making DLC for the sequel, I pray that it's not so god damn secret. Had I not watched Load Our Last Souls prior to playing the DLC, I don't think I would've ever figured it out.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I think they will have DLC at some point, probably just want to launch the game, make sure it works with the demand and then they start working on the DLC

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Popogeejo

In fairness, the DLC is only just a bit more convoluted to get to than the Painted World. Really, the only problem was putting it in such a weird place no one would normally go to.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By groin

@popogeejo said:

In fairness, the DLC is only just a bit more convoluted to get to than the Painted World. Really, the only problem was putting it in such a weird place no one would normally go to.

The steps to enter the DLC are WAY more convoluted than getting to the Painted World.

1. kill the Hydra in Darkroot Basin

2. exit area or view loading screen

3. kill gold crystal golem in Darkroot Basin

4. talk to Dusk

5. kill crystal golem in Duke's Archives to get the Broken Pendant

6. return to the gold golem location in Darkroot Basin and enter portal

What if the player cleared Duke's Archives before killing the Hydra? Would they ever go back there on their own accord after killing the Hydra? If they did go back to Duke's then they might just walk past the crystal golem since it doesn't aggro unless you walk next to it.

If they somehow perform these steps in the correct order then it's not obvious what the Broken Pendant is for. The average player doesn't read item descriptions or they might have missed the fact that Dusk is from Oolacile. Let's pretend they remember that Dusk is from Oolacile and they back to talk to her. She doesn't tell you to revisit the gold golem location. Why would the player go back there for a second time?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@groin said:

@popogeejo said:

The steps to enter the DLC are WAY more convoluted than getting to the Painted World.

4. talk to Dusk

What if the player cleared Duke's Archives before killing the Hydra? Would they ever go back there on their own accord after killing the Hydra? If they did go back to Duke's then they might just walk past the crystal golem since it doesn't aggro unless you walk next to it.

If they somehow perform these steps in the correct order then it's not obvious what the Broken Pendant is for. The average player doesn't read item descriptions or they might have missed the fact that Dusk is from Oolacile. Let's pretend they remember that Dusk is from Oolacile and they back to talk to her. She doesn't tell you to revisit the gold golem location. Why would the player go back there for a second time?

Yeah, getting to the painted world is way more straightfoward. The only hard part is to see you can jump to that platform when you exit the elevator early (exiting the elevator early is something you will do if you've ever played a video game before). When you get the doll, the description of what it does is really easy to understand if you've already seen the huge ass painting in anor londo. If you didn't go there yet you'll easily stumble into it by examining the painting when you get to it.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Nasar7

@groin: Not disagreeing with you that it's an awful mess to access the DLC but in defense of it I don't think these steps are meant to be done in quick succession. They probably meant you to naturally find this hidden secret area throughout the course of your playthrough on the PC version. If the DLC existed the first time I played the game, I'm sure I would've found this but, as you point out, it takes a naturally inquisitive player who explores the dark root basin environment thoroughly and reads item descriptions and pays attention to NPCs so that you find Dusk, learn she is from Oolacile, know that maidens from Oolacile were being experimented on by Seath, and when you find the pendant, think to take it back to Dusk and see what happens. A tall order, for sure.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Honestly, I think that From Software has serious balls and it's refreshing. Most games are extremely transparent and obvious about their DLC content ( Press 'X' to warp to DLC area) but Dark Souls was so aloof regarding where/what the DLC content is that I beat the game the first time completely missing it.

The only flaw in such design is that I did eventually have to look up a youtube video or wiki or something to figure out how to get there, but man was my mind blown when I looked that up.

My only hope for Dark Souls 2 is that they maintain that "let the players figure it out" mentality with the game content... but perhaps leave more bread crumbs as to cluing us in on what to do next.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Popogeejo

@groin: To me the only real problem there is the golden Golem and it's placement. Everything else is fine. Dusk talks about Oolacile. You eventually find a magical trinket in the place that researches magic and the description mentions or alludes to Oolacile. 2 + 2. As Nasar said, it's not meant to be a thing you do quickly. The Painted World is the same way. Remember that involves;

1: Either trying to interact with the painting to learn something is up or Finding the doll and realising what it's talking about a [huge] painting that you can miss if you don't look back at where you came from after the catwalk section.

2: Knowing you can go back to the Undead Asylum and to your cell and figuring out how to even get there.

What if you never knew you could go back to the tutorial area? The only hint is that you might just see an item you couldn't get (Rust Ring)? What if you clear the Painting Hall without looking around to see this painting because I know I was through that fog door ASAP so I didn't have to do that tightrope act again. What if, as you have pointed out, they don't read the dolls description?

I'm not saying that the DLC is easy to access for your average player but if you figured out the painted world then the DLC isn't beyond figuring out. I've seen a few blind runs manage to find Dusk and once you've done that the rest isn't all that difficult. You've got to pay attention and have a good memory but hey, that's kind of all of Dark Souls.

EDIT

Let's look at this further;

Something you are almost always going to do. it's hard to miss.

Totally fair here, the game drops the ball hard here.

I'd say finding it is the main thing but once you've walked out to find the ladder curiosity will take explorer type players to the Golem (assuming they got it to load)

4. talk to Dusk

Who isn't going to talk to the lady that jumped out a golem? Non-step.

Kill an enemy. Not difficult. No worse than killing an enemy for a level key.

If, and I know it's the big if, you found it once before it'd be the second place to go after Dusk's summon sign.

And just because I'm a dick and I know it;

1:Get onto the platform above the lifts,

2: Make the jump to the stairs and curl up into a ball and wait for a longer while than you'd think sensible,

3: "Let's go check out my old room" which involves a fight with a Black Knight and possibly a Stray Demon. Optional fights but I just like mentioning the Stray Demon.

4: Work out what the doll is for and know about the painting.

5: Know you have to actually go up and poke the painting. Not most obvious thought in the world.

Now, I'm not trying to say the DLC is a great piece of design because it sure fuckin' ain't but man, accessing Painted is also kind of BS.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By groin

@groin: To me the only real problem there is the golden Golem and it's placement. Everything else is fine. Dusk talks about Oolacile. You eventually find a magical trinket in the place that researches magic and the description mentions or alludes to Oolacile. 2 + 2. As Nasar said, it's not meant to be a thing you do quickly. The Painted World is the same way. Remember that involves;

1: Either trying to interact with the painting to learn something is up or Finding the doll and realising what it's talking about a [huge] painting that you can miss if you don't look back at where you came from after the catwalk section.

2: Knowing you can go back to the Undead Asylum and to your cell and figuring out how to even get there.

What if you never knew you could go back to the tutorial area? The only hint is that you might just see an item you couldn't get (Rust Ring)? What if you clear the Painting Hall without looking around to see this painting because I know I was through that fog door ASAP so I didn't have to do that tightrope act again. What if, as you have pointed out, they don't read the dolls description?

I'm not saying that the DLC is easy to access for your average player but if you figured out the painted world then the DLC isn't beyond figuring out. I've seen a few blind runs manage to find Dusk and once you've done that the rest isn't all that difficult. You've got to pay attention and have a good memory but hey, that's kind of all of Dark Souls.

EDIT

Let's look at this further;

Something you are almost always going to do. it's hard to miss.

Totally fair here, the game drops the ball hard here.

I'd say finding it is the main thing but once you've walked out to find the ladder curiosity will take explorer type players to the Golem (assuming they got it to load)

4. talk to Dusk

Who isn't going to talk to the lady that jumped out a golem? Non-step.

Kill an enemy. Not difficult. No worse than killing an enemy for a level key.

If, and I know it's the big if, you found it once before it'd be the second place to go after Dusk's summon sign.

And just because I'm a dick and I know it;

1:Get onto the platform above the lifts,

2: Make the jump to the stairs and curl up into a ball and wait for a longer while than you'd think sensible,

3: "Let's go check out my old room" which involves a fight with a Black Knight and possibly a Stray Demon. Optional fights but I just like mentioning the Stray Demon.

4: Work out what the doll is for and know about the painting.

5: Know you have to actually go up and poke the painting. Not most obvious thought in the world.

Now, I'm not trying to say the DLC is a great piece of design because it sure fuckin' ain't but man, accessing Painted is also kind of BS.

Doing these steps is not sufficient though. You have to do them in that order. You ignored my comment about clearing Duke's Archives before killing the Hydra. The golem in Duke's only drops the pendant after step 4. What if a player has already killed Seath, Nito, and Troll Of Chaos? Why would they ever go back to Duke's Archives after killing the Hydra and Sif?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.