Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Dragon Shrine makes me want to quit

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I know I'm not very good at this game. I have died probably hundreds of times. I was ok with that though. Until now. This area is making me want to leave this game. Those goddamn black knights are driving me insane. From the guys with the clubs that never stop attacking for a second and kill me in 2 hits, to the guys with big swords that ignore my great shield and walls to kill me or the scythe and shield guys with their ridiculous shied bashes, I am losing my will to continue with this quest. Words of comfort are needed duders.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Itwastuesday

have you tried running past them? i ran past them

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bait them to fight one on one. You can bait the first two back to the door. Then from there you can bait the smaller dudes on the stairs to fight one at a time. Then bait the next two big dudes to follow you down the stairs. I guess the only works if you ranged attacks. Lighting/spells or a crossbow/bow. I never had any issues with them due to having ranged attacks.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Well, if it helps you should know that the boss at the end of that area is completely optional, so you won't have to keep fighting your way through for boss runs at least. Can't you summon some help maybe? The dragon shrine is usually rife with people looking to help out.

Avatar image for deactivated-61876872b43d2
    deactivated-61876872b43d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By John1912

Just do one at a time. Dodge, and attack. Only the ones with the 2hand mace are that hard. Those are pretty fucking brutal if you get caught blocking and they wont stop swinging. Roll attack from behind, no more then 2 hits, repeat. If you are rolling slow, take off gear.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

On my tanky dude, this was no problem due to easily blocking all the damage at very little stamina cost. On my magic dude, I just nuked them in 2-3 casts. I haven't done it yet with my fully offensive melee dude, but he's got powerful lightning spells too, so it won't be a problem either...

I don't know how you built your character, but maybe consider using a Soul Vessel and respec...

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, the black knights have low resistance against getting crushed by a 5+ Dragon Tooth. And they really can't take the heat from being drowned in a Chaos Storm. If all else fail, run like hell.

MrAbomination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, just get a bow and cheese them at range. Pretty sure poison arrows work on them. Takes a while if you haven't upgraded a bow, but it's the easy way to handle 'em.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Turambar

@yummylee said:

Well, if it helps you should know that the boss at the end of that area is completely optional, so you won't have to keep fighting your way through for boss runs at least. Can't you summon some help maybe? The dragon shrine is usually rife with people looking to help out.

Can't summon help (aside from shades) until there's a boss for the area, meaning you have to go it alone the first time.

My advice: poison arrows / poison throwing knives.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poison arrows dude.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn Human and look for summon signs, someone will be able to help you through the level. Just don't attack the thing at the end, or you'll actually give up, especially if you're finding that bit hard.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flame Swathe was immensely helpful first time through that area, also leashing the enemies to the hallway at the base of the steps helped too.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, run past them! I found the made wielding guys to be insane with my 2 handed melee character. You can just run straight through to the end of this level.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My advice is, to keep doing what you're doing, and keep dying.

Hope this helps.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Over-level and come back. Although even when I had, what I assume was way higher level than you're supposed to have at that point, they were a challenge.

For reference by the time I beat the final boss and then the optional final boss I was like level 165

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thatpinguino  Staff

Always be running

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Scratch

I ran past them as well. But only after constantly trying to take them on and dying. Trust me it's not worth it, just run past them. I've finished the game at this point but I'm thinking of going back to this area to take on the ancient dragon before starting NG+.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

visit your friendly wheeler dealer gavlan for the poison arrows that kill every enemy in the shrine, without them ever taking a swing in anger

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Don't try to block the old knights. They are too powerful for that. Either dodge and get one attack in, regain stamina and repeat; or use ranged attacks. Just keep at it. They should stop spawning at some point even. Also, you can run past them. If it's any consolation: it is one of the hardest area's in the game (assuming you are trying to kill everyone).

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Whoah at the gibberish.

I also ran past this part. I basically took one look at the enemies and their placements and how much damage it would take to kill them and just decided they weren't worth the time, and so i did what i did throughout al least half the game, ran past them. Luckily there' s no boss at the end, unless you want a boss.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

weakness: poison

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks duders, blame tiredness and frayed nerves for this. As many of you said, I popped over to Gavlan, bought myself a whole bunch of poison arrows, beefed up my Dragonrider Bow and waltzed on through the area. Turns out I'd died on the last dude about 4 times, not knowing that he was in fact the last dude and I could just sprint past him. Tantrum over, now I've just got the final boss to kill (got her down to about 6% health twice only to fail) and we're all done.

Myrmicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little tip for the Ancient Dragon : Stay close to his toes from the back legs. This will prompt the stomp and, when he do, just run to the other too. Do not lock on him, keep the camera pointed to his front. If you see him slowly rising, that means he will breath fire under him, so run away. This methods prevents him from doing his AoE fire breath most of the time. Sometime, he will jump on the side. Just run to his tail for a swing, prompting him to smash you with it, offering you the opportunity to run back to his toes, without prompting his AoE attack.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@zlimness said:

Apparently, the black knights have low resistance against getting crushed by a 5+ Dragon Tooth.

Ah, the oft-neglected stat. :)

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karkarov

I don't get why people say "don't try to block their attacks". Blocking the Drakekeeper (the real name of the "big fat black dudes :P") attacks is perfectly viable if you have a good shield and decent stamina. You don't even need a tower shield, I use the highly underrated Defender Shield at +5 and have no problem at all blocking their hits. The Mace Drakekeeper's are tricky you just need to practice on the one early in the level and master his dodge timing, also... never fight them two at a time. If it has to be a two on one pick one of them off at range. The sword and shield Keepers are no different than the "Old Knights" from Hiede they just swing 1-2 more times, the same strafing plan still works you just don't attack after swing 2. Same goes for the Two hand sword Drakekeepers.

The Dragonknights though (guys in dumb looking gold armor) can be dangerous. Just treat them like you are fighting another player who has invaded and is too dumb to heal and you should be fine.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mason

With every dark souls game, I hear a lot of complaints when players who enjoy a tanky, defensive build come across enemies that can out-tank them, and hit harder with better range. That's when the game is telling you to add some variety to your gameplay. We're intended to try different tactics. The game punishes players who place limits on their build. Such as the players who refuse to use any kind of range (not even consumables).

In my case, I hit some trouble with my pure INT build trying to take on those Lion dudes with high resistances in the shaded wood. I ended up using holy waters and a dagger for backstabs. Not what I built my character to do, but it worked.

neojb1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By neojb1989

Poison arrows. Poison in this game is extremely useful in almost all situations. So much so that I think it might be nerfed at some point but yea. Even if you can't wield the bow properly, the arrows will still take affect. Takes like 2 full poison to kill one of em and thats about 4 shots per poison affect.

Hell throwing knives work too.

neojb1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By neojb1989

Poison arrows. Poison in this game is extremely useful in almost all situations. So much so that I think it might be nerfed at some point but yea. Even if you can't wield the bow properly, the arrows will still take affect. Takes like 2 full poison to kill one of em and thats about 4 shots per poison affect.

Hell throwing knives work too.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shorap

Just wait until you get to the area after that. Range weapons will definitely be your best friend.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The cardinal rule of Souls games for me is to speak softly, carry a big sword, and if that doesn't work resort to poison arrows to give those jerks what they have coming.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lukeweizer

Try tongue but hole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.