Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Drangleic Explorer Society: Compiling GB's DS2 Exploration

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By adoggz

@liquidprince: if im thinking bout the right place, there should be an explosive barrel you can roll down a flight of stairs to open a bonfire if you stay on the wall pathway (i guess it could be called).

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

So, I've come across a few big white marble-y looking doors that are locked. What do you need to open them?

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding Boss weapons:

Anyone else disappointed that there are so many greatswords/ultra greatswords and only like 4 regular weight weapons? Almost every weapon(21) of them are 10+ pounds. There are only 6 that are 5 pounds or less, and two of those are daggers and one is a whip. Doesn't give very many options for people who want lighter faster weapons, and two of them come from the same boss soul!(Flexile Sentry). There are also a few 6-8 pound weapons, but most of those are greatswords with slow attacks as well.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#254  Edited By musubi

So I haven't been back to check in awhile but anyone know what unlocks the door outside the boss room for forest of fallen giants? The Soldier key I got early on didn't unlock it not sure what does.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Here's a few things that I've found so far:

1. Find the Fire Longsword ASAP, because it will make your damage output pretty good for going through the starting area as well as Heide's.

2. TALK TO EVERYONE AND DON'T GO WILDLY SWINGING!

Kubertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So i took Vinny's advice and bought the Club form the Smith. As a newb i am going for a strength build, and for now it was pretty much the best weapon, since it scales with strength. I would much rather prefer something nicer looking like a sword, but it works too good. i can one-two shot most of the normal size humanoid enemies.

i did the first 4 bosses (Pursuer and Dragonslayer took forever,) and am around lvl. 62.

How far/high are you guys?

paco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So, if people have made it to Earthen Peak, but haven't made it down the well in Majula yet:

There's an NPC you can meet, Laddersmith Gilligan, on one of the ledges outside the building. When he moves back to Majula, he can build you latters to go down the well with.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

@kubertus said:

So i took Vinny's advice and bought the Club form the Smith. As a newb i am going for a strength build, and for now it was pretty much the best weapon, since it scales with strength. I would much rather prefer something nicer looking like a sword, but it works too good. i can one-two shot most of the normal size humanoid enemies.

i did the first 4 bosses (Pursuer and Dragonslayer took forever,) and am around lvl. 62.

How far/high are you guys?

I didn't know how to get to the tower the first time I went down there so I went through the ballista for a bit. I just ran through those 2 guys with some summoning help.

I bought that club, but I didn't like it. For strength I'm rocking a +1 Drangelic Sword, my previous was a +5 Fire Longsword. The Fire sword is just barely behind in damage right now. I have 33 Sgt, 20 Dex. Look into those.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jakob187: Where IS that fire longsword? I have beaten one of the main bosses and completed several areas fully and I've yet to see either that sword or that red-cape armor set both Vinny and Brad were wearing in the Dark Souls 2 feature.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#262  Edited By JJBSterling

For my dex build I transitioned from the falchion to the Blacksteel Katana, love it.

I got it to +10 and I don't know how they've changed the elemental damage in this game so I think I'll leave it as is for now.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By TheBlue

Still rocking the +9 Claymore that's carried me through most of the game. I wish it scaled better with strength, but I just love greatswords too much and it's light enough to keep me from fat rolling. I keep a +9 Great Club for smashing armored dudes but I just don't like how weapons like that don't lock on a target if you move the stick. Still afraid to use my Slabs though. I have 2 so far and I don't really want to waste them.

@humanity: The fire longsword is in the forest area at the beginning. I believe it's in the area right before the Cardinal Tower bonfire. There's a large area down below and down there's a cave where a fire-breathing guy lives and that's where the sword is. The armor is in a pit near the Pursuer's boss room, it's really easy to miss.

Speaking of that forest area, has anyone gotten down to where those fire pillars and giant lizard thing is? I see items down there but I can't seem to figure out how you get down there.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By DrxLecter

@humanity said:

@jakob187: Where IS that fire longsword? I have beaten one of the main bosses and completed several areas fully and I've yet to see either that sword or that red-cape armor set both Vinny and Brad were wearing in the Dark Souls 2 feature.

The fire longsword is in the forest of giants, goto the tower bonfire, go out the doors, then go straight and drop down to some wooden planks, the fire longsword is in a cave on the ground.

The armor is right after pursuer, drop down the broken area.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#265  Edited By Humanity

@theblue: Well I've totally missed that armor and that pit. Is it IN the Pursuer boss room or.. stairs leading up to it? I'll have to look around there I haven't changed armor in a long time.

@drxlecter I'll look tomorrow I can't believe I've missed it, I tend to search all areas real thoroughly just so this sorta stuff doesn't happen.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: The armor is in the room immediately after the boss room. There is a carved out side of the building in which you will need to drop down from and onto a platform containing the armor.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#267  Edited By Sterling

Pursuer will just not go away. He shows up many times in this game. That bastard. And each time hes stronger than before. But each time he drops a +1 and +2 to the ring he drops. So thats cool. If you manage to beat him that is.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I went into a really foggy forest area and screamed in terror for about 90 seconds and then stopped playing. I think I'll look for somewhere else to go next time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: yep. After you beat the first boss of the iron keep, rest at the next bonfire and return to the boss room he appears again. Next one I think is ng+ only for the third one.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I haven't been back to check in awhile but anyone know what unlocks the door outside the boss room for forest of fallen giants? The Soldier key I got early on didn't unlock it not sure what does.

The door goes to the fire pit under the cardinal tower bonfire with the salamanders. I don't know how to unlock the door. I just used the cat ring to fall down there. Careful though, those salamanders can wreck you with their fireballs and charge move. Nothing much down there except cracked red eye orbs and one of the shields from the contest.

Does anyone know if there's some intelligence requirement to speak to the NPCs? Right now I'm a str/dex build with like 8 INT. The wizard in no-man's warf refuses to speak to me. The guy sitting in the chair before Huntsman's Copse refuses to speak with me. And the old man in the wheelchair after the shaded woods refuses to speak with me. I assume they're all magic merchants right? With the first guy selling magics while the latter sell hexes?

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@minipato: It wouldn't surprise me. There was a spell vendor in Dark Souls that wouldn't even admit he had spells for sale unless your INT was high enough.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@minipato: It wouldn't surprise me. There was a spell vendor in Dark Souls that wouldn't even admit he had spells for sale unless your INT was high enough.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok guys. I got a tip for everyone.

You hate being hollow? Wish you'd always be human and you'd never drop your souls? Well i have the solution for you!

Mild item location spoilers?

Ok, well theres this ring called "The Ring of Life Protection". What it does is when you die, you stay human and you keep all your souls but the ring breaks. Sounds like a one time use item right? Wrong. You can repair the ring at the blacksmith as many times as you'd like for a mere 3000 souls. No more burning effigies, no more losing 50k+ souls because you died on your way to your blood stain. This isn't a glitch or exploit, its just what the item does.

Now for the location? It's actually very early in the game, in No-mans wharf. Walk into the zone, walk down the docks, on the beach should be a fire, and two houses. 3 enemies, in the back are some stairs. Go up the stairs one level, turn left, go inside the building, go up the stairs inside. Kill the dude in there. In that room is a bookshelf (probably with messages on the ground near it) smash it and the ring is right there.

Hope this helps someone out.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, got my Trophy for maxing out a covenant. FYI Rat King Covenant is super easy to max out if you're looking to max out a covenant and you get a pretty cool ring. You only need 35 PvP wins and your targets spawn in the same area every time. Easy wins.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing about trophies/achievements, there's a sorcery that can only be gotten through the Bell keepers covenant: Hidden Weapon. Luckily, it seems like you can do this offline or if you are at too high of a Soul Level to do it quickly and at any point in the game. There's an NPC red phantom in the Belfry Sol area that appears sometimes. Apparently he counts as killing an invader. You need to kill him 20 or 30 times, I'm still iffy on the requirements for ranking up. It's slower than doing the covenant properly, but you can do it whenever. He's over by that tower with the ladder inside and he respawns infinitely. You may have to go back to the bonfire a few times before he shows up though.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: The old duder at the wharf requires you to have 8 INT to interact with you. The dude in the chair requires 8 INT and 8 Faith. And the old ass duder in the wheel chair requires you to find him in all three of his hidden locations before he fully talks to you.

kieran_smith5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@weegieanawrench: The repair powder comes more significant late game when you have some pretty amazing weapons that need to be repaired frequently.

kieran_smith5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@minipato: You find a Key in the Iron Keep that unlocks this door.

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I maxed out the Pilgrims of Dark at the end of the game. Really easy. Finding out how to join them though...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Rat Authority boss is a real jerk. Wasn't that hard to beat really was basically fighting Sif again however man he is a jerk you get him down to like 5% health and he just stands there and then proceeds to vomit out acid which promptly broke a bunch of my gear including a ring that cost 15k to fix. I guess he did have the last laugh there.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I killed Dragonrider this morning. That was a ridiculous easy fight.

Then I found Old Dragonslayer, and almost shit myself when it was Ornstein, as I rocked his armor through most of Dark Souls and loved the character. That was the point where I finally said "yep, this is a Dark Souls game." I also said "well played, From...well played."

Also picked up the Knight's Armor.

They definitely hand-hold you pretty hard in the early game, getting you used to animation priorities and stuff. It's very tough to die early on.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Here's a question that might be answerable without spoilers: The knights that are sitting there and don't attack you like the ones in the Forest of Fallen Giants and The Lost Bastille, is there any reason at all not to fight them? I find it odd that they just sit there peacefully and yet I can target them.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: Why would I EVER do that? That sounds so un-Dark Souls.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan said:

Here's a question that might be answerable without spoilers: The knights that are sitting there and don't attack you like the ones in the Forest of Fallen Giants and The Lost Bastille, is there any reason at all not to fight them? I find it odd that they just sit there peacefully and yet I can target them.

Not wanting/needing their drops is the only reason I can think of to no fight them.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By Sterling

So I'm sitting here reading in the guide about all the rings. To see what all there is. Because there seems to be a lot of them. And many of them have variations of +1 and +2 that increase the effect. So I was curious as to what rings all had the +1/+2 variations.

And then I find these two supremely magnificent gems. I am still in awe of this things.

• Ring #1: Illusory Ring of the Conqueror. Acquired from: Clearing the game without dying!What it does: Left hand weapon becomes invisible.
    • Ring #2: Illusory Ring of the Exalted. Acquired from: Clearing the game without resting at a bonfire!What it does: Right hand weapon becomes invisible.

What! Are you fucking kidding me! Challenge accepted! Visions of PVP benefits.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By Clonedzero

@jakob187 said:

@clonedzero: Why would I EVER do that? That sounds so un-Dark Souls.

What? How is a legit item in the game being used as intended which is basically the same thing as the items in the first game "so un-dark souls"? In dark souls 1 whenever i died with alot of souls / humanity on me that i wanted to keep i'd throw on a ring of sacrifice for insurance.

Also costing 3k souls EVERY death is a bit staggering. Even if you dont drop your souls or lose humanity, it is alot per death.

So dont get all dark souls hipster on me.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By Choi

Gameplay Mechanic:

The biggest revelation for me was that you no longer attack fake walls to uncover hidden paths, you need to use the action button (X-ps3, A-360). I do believe if you attack a fake wall your weapon will past through it tho, not cling off of it.

I was kinda disappointed I didn't find any hidden paths, and no wonder why, I was doing it wrong the whole time. In the Ruin Sentinels Room is where I first found out about the action button thing, because of a good player message. Now I need to go back and check every suspicious corner again.

Combat Mechanic:

Watching the "We're playing Dark Souls Too" video and learning about the way that 0 stamina affects raising the shield was also pretty big.

Also, if you push forward and heavy shield (L2/LT) you will do a leaping shield bash that knocks enemies to the ground so you can slice and dice them while on the floor.

Item you probably missed:

Carnidal Tower Bonfire- Above the bonfire on the branch, you can jump down on the branch from the 1. floor.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@soldierg654342: okay, I wasn't sure if they were connected to a covenant of some kind. guess I'll have to go challenge them

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been running around as a Blue Sentinel with my ring on for the last 10 hours and I haven't been summoned once. Anyone know how frequent this is? I eventually ditched that covenant for the Sunbro one. Also, that first boss in the Iron Keep is kicking my ass. It's mainly his fire sword phase that I can't seem to get past. His regular combo eats up a good chunk of my health even when I'm blocking. Speaking of fire, I feel that pyromancy is pretty powerful in PvP. I've been invaded by some people that would just spam firestorm when I was at the Bell Covenant area. And about the Pharros mechanisms, is it true that some of them do nothing at all? I used one of my stones on one and all it did was spit out a small pool of water. Weird.

Still enjoying the hell out of Dark Souls 2 and "Definitely Not Lordran, Nope, Not Lordran at all." I decided to head to the shaded forest after my failed runs at the Iron Keep. Titanite Shards are surprisingly rare. I can already buy Large Titanites from that one blacksmith in the Bastille; but ore lady and her dad, not a single titanite shard in stock.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By Choi

@thunderslash:

Some of the Pharros mechanisms only light the place up, like in

No mans Warf

I haven't found the one with the water yet, but I'm sure all of them do something useful. Maybe that one flooded an area maybe?

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By DrxLecter

@thunderslash: You might want to know the boss in the iron keep you are stuck on is completely optional.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By darklight

@sterling said:

So I'm sitting here reading in the guide about all the rings. To see what all there is. Because there seems to be a lot of them. And many of them have variations of +1 and +2 that increase the effect. So I was curious as to what rings all had the +1/+2 variations.

And then I find these two supremely magnificent gems. I am still in awe of this things.

• Ring #1: Illusory Ring of the Conqueror. Acquired from: Clearing the game without dying!What it does: Left hand weapon becomes invisible.
    • Ring #2: Illusory Ring of the Exalted. Acquired from: Clearing the game without resting at a bonfire!What it does: Right hand weapon becomes invisible.

What! Are you fucking kidding me! Challenge accepted! Visions of PVP benefits.

Man, if only I tought I was good enough in Dark Soul to pull this off. :P

Not dieing would be pretty challenging and I guess it will be easier when we know the games in and out. Not using bonefire mean running everywhere and never porting or never having your weapon resistance restored without repair powder, which probably mean using a lot of different weapon since repair powder is pretty scarce.

But having invisible weapon seem lke a pretty cool idea. I think there's an armor which is also invisible, something about special material invisible to coward? Only saw the description in loading screen so dunno how it works.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By Strangestories

@choi: Actually, there are a few fake walls in the game that need to be hit with a weapon instead of using the action button. One is in No-Man's Wharf.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By MiniPato

@thunderslash: Pharros mechanisms in the Rat Covenant areas open up traps like acid pools and additional enemies. This is so that when a trespasser is summoned to your world, they'll have a harder time. Though there are some that do have items behind them. Just a matter of finding out which one.

Dragon4234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been running around as a Blue Sentinel with my ring on for the last 10 hours and I haven't been summoned once. Anyone know how frequent this is? I eventually ditched that covenant for the Sunbro one. Also, that first boss in the Iron Keep is kicking my ass. It's mainly his fire sword phase that I can't seem to get past. His regular combo eats up a good chunk of my health even when I'm blocking. Speaking of fire, I feel that pyromancy is pretty powerful in PvP. I've been invaded by some people that would just spam firestorm when I was at the Bell Covenant area. And about the Pharros mechanisms, is it true that some of them do nothing at all? I used one of my stones on one and all it did was spit out a small pool of water. Weird.

Still enjoying the hell out of Dark Souls 2 and "Definitely Not Lordran, Nope, Not Lordran at all." I decided to head to the shaded forest after my failed runs at the Iron Keep. Titanite Shards are surprisingly rare. I can already buy Large Titanites from that one blacksmith in the Bastille; but ore lady and her dad, not a single titanite shard in stock.

The Blue Sentinels summons are pretty infrequent. I assume it's because that people usually move on to another covenant after a short time, Way of The Blue is kinda lame. The Smelter Demon can actually be skipped if you shut off the main furnace and go through it to a ladder on the other side of him. You will miss out on it's soul and a rematch with The Pursuer for a pretty good ring if you do. Firestorm has never really been good outside of close quarters since if you move out of it's short range nothing can hit you. All the Pharros Locks do something, even if it's only trolling you in the Pharros dungeon. The water it pours out is actually Holy Water from Dragenic's underground springs, it will heal you to full and remove status aliments if you stay in it.

The merchants will upgrade their stock the further in the game you make it. At the end of the game Chloanne has infinite shards and large shards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.