Earthen Peak Glitched?

#1 Posted by Popogeejo (615 posts) -

Either the game has glitched out on me in a really tough way or I've missed something. In Earthen Peak I've burned the windmill by the second bonfire which I'm told will lower the poison in the boss fight among other things but this has not happened, even after fully quitting out and reloading. The arena is still all poisoned and the gears are still turning. Have I missed something or has the game glitched on me?

#2 Edited by tourgen (4500 posts) -

That sounds like it might be busted. After I lit the windmill it stopped turning and the boss area was free of poison. Did you get the little cutscene after lighting the specific spot on the windmill main shaft?

#3 Posted by Popogeejo (615 posts) -

Yup, hit the prompt, got all the flames doing what they do best. Guess I'll have to summon some dudes and chomp on moss. Damn.

#4 Posted by Sarumarine (2238 posts) -

There's a possibility if you don't wait for the windmill and gears to spin down completely, the game fails to register you set it on fire. Did you warp out or die sometime after setting the windmill on fire? That's really the only thing I can think of. Not to say that Souls games are perfectly programmed, there's a strong chance you just ran into a hiccup on an event flag somewhere.

That boss is going to be a real pain in the ass with the poison still around. However, I've heard of many people fighting through it and winning, so it's probably not impossible. Just painful.

#5 Edited by development (2318 posts) -

@popogeejo: Oh I saw this glitch posted elsewhere. If you light the windmill and then rest at the nearby bonfire before the whole animation finishes it'll do that. Pretty fucked. I did that boss my first time without knowing about the windmill, so you still got a chance.

#6 Posted by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

@popogeejo: If it is truly glitched, the easiest way to beat her may be to summon Jester Thomas--the sign's directly to the right of the stair leading to the boss, hidden beneath the poison--since he absolutely destroys her with his pyromancy. You'll have to pop moss while you're finding the summon sign, but the fight itself will be at least manageable.

#7 Edited by LiquidPrince (15947 posts) -

@tourgen said:

That sounds like it might be busted. After I lit the windmill it stopped turning and the boss area was free of poison. Did you get the little cutscene after lighting the specific spot on the windmill main shaft?

I lit it as well but the boss area still had some poison.

#8 Posted by jArmAhead (297 posts) -

That's a bummer, but if you have decent amounts of health she honestly isn't that hard to deal with in the poison. Just, have lots of moss and get a summon. I'd avoid going for 3 summons because of how that scales boss HP. I've been summoned in on folks that had the poison and it wasn't all that hard. The poison is only a pain when you can't drop agro and get rid of it, it's not super damaging so it's easy to deal with.

#9 Posted by Moonshadow101 (566 posts) -

It is doable without clearing the poison, that's how I did it the first time (out of ignorance, not glitchyness.) Summon some people, throw on as much resistance as you can handle, and try not to die.

@tourgen said:

I lit it as well but the boss area still had some poison.

There's a small ring of poison around the edges that is always there, windmill or not. Igniting the windmill just clears out a big platform in the center.

#10 Posted by Popogeejo (615 posts) -

@sarumarine: This is probably it. I must have lit it and ran back to the bonfire.

That's annoying. If it had just plonked you into a short cutscene this wouldn't be an issue. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with it. I'm going to try a reinstall in a vague hope that works but if not I'm farming moss, I guess.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

#11 Posted by nosferat2 (34 posts) -

Yeah, I encountered this glitch on my NG+ run. I ended up summoning Thomas, and it was pretty easy. I had a hell of a difficult time trying to kill her with the poison. I probably could have eventually, but I was losing patience.

#12 Posted by Zevvion (1872 posts) -

Don't bother with the moss. It takes time to use and then you'll get poisoned within 6 seconds anyway. Use Radiant Lifegems. They more or less completely counter poison effects. The hard part will actually be Mytha regaining health from the poison. So summon Thomas as well. Extra target, plus he does a lot of damage. If possible, use Charcoal Pine Resin or other fire related attacks.

Should be pretty doable that way.

#13 Posted by Sarumarine (2238 posts) -

@popogeejo: Yeah, a cutscene would have gone a long way. Those gears take awhile to stop spinning after the windmill does too.

#14 Edited by Lukeweizer (2679 posts) -

There's also a hidden bonfire on the ledge above the entrance way to the boss. It's an illusionary wall to the right of the poison jars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.