Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Future press strategy guide

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Anybody got this? How is it? Whats the layout like?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It's the same as the previous guide, which is to say utterly superb; though noticeably thicker. Even if you're doing a blind run it's a good idea to have it for probably the next 2 months or so until the internet catches up. You will get lost in this game for hours. I'm barely using the guide and thus only have like 8 estus near the end of the game, but when I had all 4 major boss souls and had absolutely no idea where to go I looked that up; because the door is obscure as all hell (I had been in the vicinity of it before but failed to notice an extremely narrow path up the hillside). Looking it up probably saved me around 4 hours of combing every environment.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to get it. I had the one for the first Dark Souls and I read through every word and loved all the artwork and whatnot. I don't feel like it detracts from the game much, either seeing as how I put about 200 hours into three different characters the last time.

Also, is it true that EpicNameBro wrote some of it?

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ImBigInJapan

It's really similar to the DS1 guide, though I seem to remember there being 1 section with maps and one with enemies in that guide. This one appears to have the maps & enemies listed out together per area.

The graphical and text layout is pretty much exactly the same. I've only been using to try and clear up any mechanical questions I might have as well as look at enemy names&descriptions after I've encountered them, as the lore stuff is usually pretty interesting.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never put the time into dark souls that I thought I would, but really enjoyed the guide from an artistic perspective, they are just incredibly high quality. I got the DS2 guide today, gonna keep it shrink wrapped on my shelf incase I play later, if you take a look also, historically these futurepress guides get pretty expensive when they go out of print, so I would recommend a purchase now for souls fans.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI, it's $20 on Amazon right now, as opposed to the $36 you'll pay at Gamestop or whatever.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There is no item or enemy index, so I don't think its all that good.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sterling: I could swear there is. I remember looking up the page for the Pharros' Lockstone.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is telling from another perspective too, most people say that we don't need hard copy strategy guides any more because of resources like gamefaqs, but I think future press and piggyback are examples that if they are produced with high quality gamers will step up to show that a market is still needed for guides in that format.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sterling

@imbiginjapan: A section for items yes, but it just tells you what they are and the in game item description. It doesn't have the real info you want though. Who drops it, where to buy it. Where to find it, etc. Its a pointless section. It just tells you the name, what it does and the in game description.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it. ENB had a hand in it. The strategies seem pretty sound, from what I glanced at.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bnutz2k: he's listed as an author under his real name with (ENB) next to it.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent. Can't wait to get it.

Although, no item stat requirements? I kinda need that from a planning perspective.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bnutz2k: It has it for weapons and armor, just not other items.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh thank god.

bnutz2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got it. It's as beautiful as expected. Unfortunately, I have discovered that I have leveled way past an area I wasn't aware of (No Man's Wharf). Oh well... I'm sure there will be at least someone to summon when I get to the boss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.