Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Greatsword users. What's the upgrade path you took?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So I was a DEX build using mostly two handed melee. Thought to change up a bit and relocated some points and now I am very much liking the Greatsword. I have two of them for now. One is a +10 and the other is a +6 and trying to decide which upgrade path to take at ole Mcduff. So which path did you find best suited for your liking?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've been rolling with pure physical a lot of the time out of principle, but you honestly can't go wrong with a lighting weapon. There is only one boss I'm aware of that resists lightning, and he isn't especially hard anyways.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By soldierg654342

Unless you are rolling with a lot of INT of FAI, none of them are really worthwhile. Bleed is worthless in this game, they are too slow to make the loss in AR from Poison worthwhile, and Mundane requires a dedicated build.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By militantfreudian

If your str and dex are at the soft caps, the only way to increase your weapons' damage output is to invest in faith or intelligence, only then I think it's viable to infuse your weapons with elemental damage. I reallocated my points recently, and increased faith to around 35, then infused my two Mastodon Greatswords with fire and lightning. The AR is around 100 points more than it is on my Claymore +10. In practice, it does about 15-30% more damage, which is pretty good.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms how mundane works?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai

@soldierg654342 said:

Unless you are rolling with a lot of INT of FAI, none of them are really worthwhile. Bleed is worthless in this game, they are too slow to make the loss in AR from Poison worthwhile, and Mundane requires a dedicated build.

Yes, I did notice that bleed is not as effective as it was Dark Souls though I still see a lot of people running Uchi's and curved.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soldierg654342

@the_ruiner said:

It scales with your lowest stat, so leveling it will increase the AR. But it also requires you to level up all of your stats equally, for the most part. A mundane build would get all but one stat to 20, then level the lowest, then 30 and level the lowest, and so on. It's weird and only really useful for weapons that don't scale, like Santier's Spear.

@mordukai said:
    @soldierg654342 said:

Yes, I did notice that bleed is not as effective as it was Dark Souls though I still see a lot of people running Uchi's and curved.

Weapons with build in bleed are fine, but the bleed infusion reduces the AR waaaaay to much for it to be worth it. A lot of Katanas strogn attack also pierces shields, which is why people use them.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I went Lightning with my Greatsword, but Faith was my highest stat. If you're just going STR, stick with standard reinforcement.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aegon
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pyrodactyl

As a moonlight greatsword user, I went with the ''kills everything'' upgrade path.

Myrmicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruiner said:

It scales with your lowest stat, so leveling it will increase the AR. But it also requires you to level up all of your stats equally, for the most part. A mundane build would get all but one stat to 20, then level the lowest, then 30 and level the lowest, and so on. It's weird and only really useful for weapons that don't scale, like Santier's Spear.

This. Plus, Mundane infusion also halve the weapon base damage, making it a really poor choice of infusion for weapons with high base damage... like greatswords.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Tesla

I'm rocking a Fire Black Knight Greatsword+4.

The loss in physical damage is less than the additional gain to fire damage you get from infusing. A regular Black Knight Greatsword has C, E, C scaling in Str, Dex, and Faith. After infusing with fire it still has C,E,C scaling so no big loss there.

Not to mention it's got Greatsword reach with Claymore swings. I love it!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@tesla said:

I'm rocking a Fire Black Knight Greatsword+4.

The loss in physical damage is less than the additional gain to fire damage you get from infusing. A regular Black Knight Greatsword has C, E, C scaling in Str, Dex, and Faith. After infusing with fire it still has C,E,C scaling so no big loss there.

Not to mention it's got Greatsword reach with Claymore swings. I love it!

Yah apart from the high stat requirements I think it's the best greatsword in the game.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By tourgen

I went lightning on one and standard +10 on the other - dual wield power stance for fun

I think I like dual axes better tho

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@mordukai: Honestly, +10 is going to be your best bet if your a STR heavy build like you seem to be. It seems boring but honestly its the most effective because most of the enchantments scale off your INT stat in some fashion and knocks your scaling down. You could go Raw if your weapon already has shit scaling and get a better bump but honestly I'd stay at +10

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@humanity: Yeah I had to burn a soul vessel to even wield the thing without the Ring of Knowledge. I guess the fact that the weapon just feels right to me makes up for having to adjust my build to those requirements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.