How good are the pre-order weapons?

#1 Edited by Zurv (444 posts) -

Should i quickly look to replace them? Are they only good at the start? good for most of the game, but near end game replace them? blah blah? ;)

also, random video of my starting game :)

As you can see i just picked any weapon that looked better than my starting stuff, but it looks like i lack stats for most of them.

#2 Posted by Kaiserreich (701 posts) -

I never use them, they always seemed a bit shit.

#3 Edited by Zurv (444 posts) -

the mace that brad and vinny got in their DS2 videos.. is that already a better weapons than the pre-order stuff?

#4 Edited by ToastMan (94 posts) -

I used one of the maces for most of the beginning of the game, like first 6-7 hours. Since then I switched to something better, but due to the new durability system which makes all weapons much more frail, it still serves as a good backup weapon. Not for long though...

#5 Posted by JackG100 (405 posts) -

I use the lightning sword I found at the first heavy knight-guy sitting by a tree sulking or something. Heilde Sword?

#6 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1791 posts) -

The mace is decent. I used for a fair while at the start. It does have issues with hitting walls in small spaces, but it's move set and damage are nice.

#7 Posted by Zevvion (1874 posts) -

They are not optimal to say the least. Even worse: they look like shit. I'd much rather use something that looks awesome, than something that does more damage.

#8 Edited by Zurv (444 posts) -

does anything look awesome? :)

everything looks like a 10yo low rez pooo

(which doesn't mean it is bad game. I just wish they didn't have their heads up there own ass. They seem like they spent so much time reinventing the wheel (which is fine for game play) - but not for grafix, menus... etc.)

#9 Posted by HatKing (5957 posts) -

They're great if you're new to the series and stumbling your way through the beginning bits. I found myself using one of them pretty frequently early on, and falling back to the others when it broke. I imagine most people who have experience in the series will breeze through the beginning bits quickly enough to not find much use in those pre-order goodies.

#10 Edited by probablytuna (3671 posts) -

I used the shield that blocks 90 for about an hour until I got the 100 block shield after the Pursuer. The rest of the weapons were crap or had too high stat requirements so I just threw them in the item box.

#11 Posted by rethla (488 posts) -

@zurv said:

does anything look awesome? :)

everything looks like a 10yo low rez pooo

(which doesn't mean it is bad game. I just wish they didn't have their heads up there own ass. They seem like they spent so much time reinventing the wheel (which is fine for game play) - but not for grafix, menus... etc.)

Well low res and from a technical standpoint sure but the graphics design and the detail in it is totally awesome.

#12 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5495 posts) -

I like them a lot, just makes the early game more interesting every time out; granted the "dagger" is actually just the weakest sword in the game but apart from that they're all reasonably useful early game weapons/shields.

#13 Posted by bkbroiler (1626 posts) -

I like them a lot, just makes the early game more interesting every time out; granted the "dagger" is actually just the weakest sword in the game but apart from that they're all reasonably useful early game weapons/shields.

The dagger is a pre-order bonus? Interesting. In any case, it can one hit kill TONS of enemies even way late in the game, if you backstab them. And I have a sorcerer with only like 10 str and 10 dex.

#14 Edited by BBAlpert (1477 posts) -

@jackg100 said:

I use the lightning sword I found at the first heavy knight-guy sitting by a tree sulking or something. Heilde Sword?

At the top of the ladder in The Forest of Giants? The room where there's like 3 or 4 dudes wandering around and an archer up on a ledge, shooting at you? I don't remember seeing any sword there. Maybe I just missed it (or maybe you are thinking of some other place)?

#15 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5495 posts) -

@bkbroiler: Not the default dagger, that's pretty good; the Blackstone Flame Dagger or whatever.

#16 Posted by Rayeth (1045 posts) -

@bbalpert:

That enemy sitting under the tree in that area is holding something for you...

#17 Posted by BBAlpert (1477 posts) -

@rayeth said:

@bbalpert:

That enemy sitting under the tree in that area is holding something for you...

Oh, you're supposed to fight him? I just assumed he was some kind of NPC that would become important later on.

#18 Posted by bkbroiler (1626 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

@bkbroiler: Not the default dagger, that's pretty good; the Blackstone Flame Dagger or whatever.

Oooh, gotcha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.