I don't get Forbidden Sun.

#1 Posted by Spoonman671 (4564 posts) -

This spell takes up three attunement slots, has a single cast, and isn't particularly strong. It casts pretty quickly, but that hardly makes up for the slots you have to dedicate to it. I'd rather have three copies of Flame Swathe, which does more damage and gives me six casts.

Am I missing something? Is there some incredible redeeming quality to this spell? Forbidden Sun is a pretty cool name for a fireball spell I guess, right?

#2 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

It got nerfed.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

It got nerfed.

Even before the nerf it wasn't all that. In PVE it still wasn't powerful enough to warrant taking up all those attunement slots, and in PVP despite its casting speed it still wasn't that difficult to avoid. Think I've actually only encountered like 2 people who've used it in PVP, too

#4 Posted by Myrmicus (213 posts) -

@spoonman671: It's weak, PvE wise, but it's strong in PvP.
Almost every effective builds I encountered in PvP resorting on pyromancy used this. It's not that difficult to dodge, especially if you know that it's the only usefull pyromancy usable, but the casting speed and the projectile speed make it a good punishing pyromancy, exploiting any opening. Apart from that, yeah, it's not that good.

#5 Edited by Zevvion (1830 posts) -

It is a type of fireball. Any other fireball (Fireball, Fire Orb, Great Fireball) has a longer casting time, covers less distance and has less AoE. It's not so much damage that makes the spell powerful. It is how fast you can cast it and how much ground it covers in addition to how big the actual ball is in comparison to any other fireball spell.

Yeah, I'd say 3 slots is a bit much, but I've used it effectively. You can catch people of guard with it. Especially if you save it for a finishing blow.

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4564 posts) -

@zevvion said:

It is a type of fireball. Any other fireball (Fireball, Fire Orb, Great Fireball) has a longer casting time, covers less distance and has less AoE. It's not so much damage that makes the spell powerful. It is how fast you can cast it and how much ground it covers in addition to how big the actual ball is in comparison to any other fireball spell.

Yeah, I'd say 3 slots is a bit much, but I've used it effectively. You can catch people of guard with it. Especially if you save it for a finishing blow.

Maybe this is my problem with it. I usually use my pyromancy as a means to open up an opportunity to attack with melee. Still, it seems pretty useless to me.

#7 Posted by hippocrit (237 posts) -

If you're able to cast it twice the second one often comes as a surprise. It's also good for catching people who are running away. This is for pvp. I didn't find it useful for pve.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.