Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Is the DLC good? (sorry for such a stupid question)

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I stopped playing after I finished DS2, but now want to come back to play the DLC. I tried to research them but I keep running into spoilers :O

Are all three good? Worth just playing one? Anything I should know going in? Shut this thread as I've been incredibly lazy?

THANKS! :D

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the ivory crown might be the weakest of the 3 in terms of level design, but they are all quite good and worth playing.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the consensus seems pretty positive, they are a bit pricey but I think i'll going back to Drangleic :)

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I fucking adore 'em, personally. It's a very different kind of design than is seen throughout the most of DS 2, being far more reminiscent of Demons' Souls level design, but with the polish of DS 2 added ontop of it.

Everyone I've personally talked to is in the same group as I am, and think it's some of the best, if not the best, levels in the entire Souls franchise. As with a lot of other folks, I was initially somewhat disappointed by DS 2 as a whole, it felt a bit too easy and too unimaginative to me overall, but the DLC completely turned that perspective on it's head. It's a ton of inventive, lengthy content, and I'd kill for even more of it.

Mind, there are people who feel differently from me. When the DLC initially came out, a LOT of people were complaining about it being too hard, and being even more obtuse than as per usual. They're both valid arguments, it's just that those aspects actually appeal to certain people while they put others off. Way I see it, if a Souls game isn't hard or doesn't require time to figure out, it's not doing it's job.

Much like the game I found myself enjoying the most last year was the expansion to XCOM, the Dark Souls 2 DLC is really what made this year special in gaming for me.

If you decide to play a single one of 'em to try it out, I'd suggest you go for the Iron Crown DLC as it's probably the best overall. (Though I'm personally leaning towards Ivory Crown as my favourite) Should you decide to get all three, then start with Sunken Crown and play 'em in the order of release, as they get progressively harder. The Sunken Crown also has a really neat mechanic that involves hitting switches to drastically change and weaponize the environment, and that stuff is just worth seeing.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, all the DLC is great! The areas are more DS1-style in design, and they are HUGE. It's actually kinda crazy how much content and gameplay hours are in each one. One bummer thing for DS2 overall is just prepare yourself to have to re-buy things later next year when the "next-gen" version shows up.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drzing: Good thing I waited to play these DLCs 'till the inevitable next-gen versions were announced! :p

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eskimo

How do you access the new content? The DS1 DLC was pretty obscure, and I'd like to avoid looking at a FAQ to get to the new areas if possible.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@eskimo: It's fairly simple this time around. There are three shrines, each corresponding to a different DLC area. Once you purchase the DLCs, you'll receive an item in your inventory that has a hint as to where these shrines are located. (Spoilers for them who'd like to explore on their own) Two of these are next to major bosses of the game. Sunken Crown is in the room after the Rotten, next to the primeval bonfire. Iron Crown is in the room after the Old Iron King, again next to the primeval bonfire. And the final one, Ivory Crown, is in the Shrine of Winter, which is the locked door you pass on the way to Dranleic castle after having defeated the first big 4.

@drzing: Fortunately, all the new content from the "next-gen" version will be included in our already purchased editions. Gotta' pay up for those graphical updates however. By then, I think I'll just be playing Bloodborne anyhow.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You might want to wait for the new version at this point but the latter 2 DLCs are good and the first one is alright. More dragon genitals, enormous confusing areas, and some of the best bosses in the series (Ivory King probably being the best overall).

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The Dark Souls 2 DLC is some of the best Souls content to date. It rivals and in some aspects surpasses the Artorias of the Abyss DLC (the best content in DS1). You should absolutely play it.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By HH

@drzing said:

just prepare yourself to have to re-buy things later next year when the "next-gen" version shows up.

is it at all likely that you'll be able to transfer characters across? have they said?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Some of the best parts of the game.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

The Dark Souls 2 DLC is some of the best Souls content to date. It rivals and in some aspects surpasses the Artorias of the Abyss DLC (the best content in DS1). You should absolutely play it.

Really? You thought Artorias was the best part of DS1? Just seemed like areas from the rest of the game tbh. No where near as mysterious or exciting as Anor Londo, Sen's Fortress, Painted world or The Catacombs.

I've competed Sunken Crown and Iron King so far, very good! But just as good as the rest of DS2, doesn't particularly stand out... I thought areas like the Dragon Shrine, No-Man's Wharf and Iron Keep were more interesting from the original game... Although Iron King was very pretty, loved the castle! I'll see about Ivory Crown next :)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@masterrain: Taken as a whole "world" (to use a Demon's Souls term) as it were the DLC in Dark Souls I is definitely the best part of the game, 4 of the best bosses in the series. Is Anor Londo still better individually? Debatable but for most people sure, however it's not really comparable as Anor Londo is a much shorter area on a linear route. It's certainly much better than the Catacombs and the Painted World.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By masterrain

@fredchuckdave said:

@masterrain: Taken as a whole "world" (to use a Demon's Souls term) as it were the DLC in Dark Souls I is definitely the best part of the game, 4 of the best bosses in the series. Is Anor Londo still better individually? Debatable but for most people sure, however it's not really comparable as Anor Londo is a much shorter area on a linear route. It's certainly much better than the Catacombs and the Painted World.

Yeah as a world, Artorias was very solid. From a pure gameplay point it was quintessential Dark Souls. However I quite like the discovery aspect, maybe even more than playing! Although it was cool descending down to Manus, stuff like the Catacombs and Painted World were just more intriguing. Anor Londo was just a massive wtf moment, so mysterious! I'm enjoying Ivory Crown a lot as it has that unknown aspect, Iron King had it a little too. That's why DS2 was a bit disappointing for me personally, just seemed like lots of cool levels with very defined start and end points, rather than exploring a world.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I've heard that it's better than anything in the main game. That makes me want to play it. But the prospect of going through the main game again means that I never will.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.