Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Mirrors that spawn enemies in Drangleic Castle?

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By frymillstrum

There are 4 mirrors but only 3 spawned enemies and I can't interact with any of them, they must serve a purpose since they're in a little room of their own.... Anybody know the deal?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I don't think they serve a purpose. They are just like the mirror knight's shield mirror that summon's enemies/phantoms. They're also like a lot of the mirror's in Drangelic Castle.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

You mean Aldia's Keep right? I haven't seen any in Drangleic Castle. But no, they don't serve a purpose other than spawning the 3 enemies you talked about.

rocketboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would like to think they're there to show a connection between the Looking Glads Knight and Aldia. Maybe Aldia created the shield? I can't think of any item descriptions that support this.

Another bit of lore that can be inferred here is that Aldia's research involved breaching the connection between worlds, or points in time. The Ashen Mist Heart may have something to do with this.

Yet another possibility that just came to mind, based on the fact only 3 out of 4 mirrors spit out phantoms, is that the fourth mirror has already be traversed. This could have been Navlaan, who is nearby. It would explain his existence in the game as we have a spell description explaining he was burned alive, if the mirrors are some sort of space/time portals. I'm gonna need to put a little more thought into this one. It could be anyone whose origins are foggy... Nashandra? The Emeral Herald? Darkdiver Grandahl? The phantoms from the mirrors do have the same hue as the phantoms in the Abyss, maybe there is a connection here. Although they are also the same colour as Bell phantoms... So many questions!

Sorry this probably didn't help at all lol!

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

From a gameplay perspective, they have no purpose other than to spawn enemies. There could be a lore reason for the mirrors' existences, but don't look too deep into it, or you'll go crazy.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spawned the enemies once and then stayed out from under the stairs. Nuh uh. No way am I going back in there.

rocketboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I revisited the area today. There are actually 5 mirrors, 3 of which contain enemies. One is wearing the Drangleic set wielding a greatsword and a greatshield. The other two are both in the Alva set (I think) with some kind if halberd. Each mirror depicts 3 faces around the border, which are similar to the 3 faces on the Looking Glass Knight's headpiece. There's a loot able corpse leaning against a pillar near one of the mirrors but I can't remember what I retrieved from it, and I'm not going to use an ascetic at this point to find out what the item was. Anyone remember?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I would like to think they're there to show a connection between the Looking Glads Knight and Aldia. Maybe Aldia created the shield? I can't think of any item descriptions that support this.

It is not explicitly said, but like everything in Dark Souls, it is inferred. Several item descriptions state how Aldia did experiments and his entire mansion was full of them. Another several state how Vendrick still used his brother's inventions even though he has disappeared. The Looking Glass Knight is a guardian to the path of Shrine of Amana used by Vendrick. He uses the mirror that you can find several of in Aldia's mansion.

So yeah. Obviously, Aldia created the mirrors and the shield.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.