New gameplay videos

#1 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416238/dark-souls-2-gameplay-videos-show-classes/

Famitsu have released 4 new gameplay videos of dark souls. Basically there are showing off some of the character classes you will get to play in this game.

First up is the sorcerer. I really like how they made the enemies just pancake on there backside if you are going in for a back stab or a back attack and by the way this guy does not know how to dodge properly.

Next up is the temple knight class

Nothing special here but its nice to see some new animations in the enemies attacks like the Round house kick one enemy does.

Next up is the warrior

This class was shown off in the initial dark souls 2 gameplay reveal still nice to see the environments in this game.

Finally the Dual Swordsman

I have mixed feelings about this class. sure its good to have faster swings and have the ability to dual wield but i wish it is not restricted to only 2 swords. it would be great if your character can dual wield 2 axes or 2 long swords but that might be pushing it.

#2 Posted by Humanity (8802 posts) -

Maybe they just have really beefed up characters but combat and movement overall seems a lot faster paced than in the previous games.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

Interesting. Looks like they went back to the Estus Flask cause weren't there earlier videos where they had some sort of Healing Drop Stone as the healing items instead of the Estus Flask? Does that imply firekeepers then? Hmmmm

#4 Edited by Gravier251 (217 posts) -

Animation certainly seems more fluid and also perhaps a higher frame rate than before aswell on top of that. Might take a little getting used to but it thankfully does appear to be keeping pretty close to it's predecessors in terms of style and gameplay. Interesting to see dual wielding might be viable to deal more damage with dual wield specific attacks/combinations. I wonder if there are other weapon types that can be mixed together and used that way. Dark Souls/Demon's Souls were always pretty open with what you could wield. Insane combinations like dual shields for instance.

#5 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

Hnnng oh man, dual swordsman seems awesome to play.

#6 Posted by Krullban (1023 posts) -

Buying this for capes.

#7 Posted by Zacagawea (1581 posts) -

Really wish this was coming in some form to next gen stuff. Going to be weird hooking up my Xbox in the middle of February just to play this.

#8 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I like the change they made to spell casting speed. Dark Souls' approach of painfully slow cast time as means of spell balance was not a satisfying way to go about it.

Dig the lighting effects with the torch. The flying orb look of the souls coming off dead enemies is kinda cheesy.

Otherwise everything looks how I expect demand a Souls game ought to be. So good good. :)

#9 Posted by Timing (618 posts) -

These clips are actually not new. They've been shown off ad infinitum at E3 two weeks ago:

Rev3Games

IGN

Gamespot

Gametrailers

Nothing I've seen so far has grabbed me in the way Demon's or Dark Souls did. The environments and enemies just look kind of bland in comparison. I hope Shibuya and Tanimura can live up to Miyazaki's legacy of detailed worlds and rich, implicit lore, but so far I've not seen it yet. That said, they have until march to finish it, so who knows, it might still become great. I'll probably get it either way as Demon's and Dark are my two favourite games this generation. I just really hope they don't somehow pull a Sticker Star.

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

@demoskinos: They said even back when they first showed the game off that Estus flasks were still going it be in the game. It seems, from what I've heard, that the healing stones will still be there as an alternative means of healing that will be quicker to use but your health will recover more slowly than when using Estus. As for Firekeepers, who knows, Bonfires are definetly back though so I don't think it's much of a stretch to have someone tending them.

The thing in the videos I was personally the most hyped about was that they've fixed the spellcasting animations so that you're no longer casting blue light out of the middle of your stick. That was always kind of disappointing before.

I'm tempted to commit myself to playing dual swordsman-style, but even if I don't start out doing it I'm sure I will get there eventually. It's gonna be good, not having to worry about missing things since I know by now that I'll probably replay the game many times over.

#11 Edited by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

@jacksukeru: I'm getting the biggest hammer I can find and gonna squash people. =D

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

More Souls = :D

#13 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

@demoskinos: I started a run recently where I decided I wanted heavy everything! Heavy weapon, heavy shield, heavy armor.

First thing I did was make a beeline for the Ultra Greatsword in the graveyard and pumped up my STR enough to two-hand it. I had never used a Ultra Greatsword much before so it was suprising to me how much fun it was to just run around and flatten enemies. That shit was really heavy.

#14 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

@zacagawea: im split aswell. The ps3 had the larger community for dark souls but i might just get it for pc when it comes out.

#15 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

o man, yes please.

#16 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1388 posts) -

Yeah, these clips aren't new but it's nice to see them without people talking over them. Really looking forward to playing this next year.

EDIT: Also, I'm guessing the new "backstab" animation is the double swing move I've been seeing a bunch of.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

@jacksukeru: Same. Although I picked black firebombs as my gift and killed the Asylum Demon the first time you encounter him to get the Great Demon's Hammer. That thing is brutal.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

Looks like more and better Dark Souls. I've been sold on this since the very first moment they announced it.

#19 Posted by Pr1mus (3807 posts) -

They removed collisions with dead bodies it seems, which is a billion times better then the atrocious ragdolls they had in the previous games.

#20 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

They removed collisions with dead bodies it seems, which is a billion times better then the atrocious ragdolls they had in the previous games.

How am I going to push bodies off ledges now?

Also... "new gameplay videos"

#21 Edited by leebmx (2215 posts) -

Not watching these because I want to be surprised by the game. I am really a bit worried that a new Dark Souls won't be as good because all the mystery will have gone that made the first game so enthralling. Hopefully it remains as dense and unexplained as the first/(second?)

Also really surprised that there is no next-gen versions. I remember hearing somewhere that the game director of DS1 is working on a new game - anyone know if this is true. Does it worry anyone about the potential quality of DS2 if true?

#22 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -
#23 Posted by Giefcookie (583 posts) -

Most exciting thing about DS2 besides the obvious FK YES MORE DARK SOULS is the possibility of a good day one PC version.

#24 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

@krullban said:

Buying this for capes.

2014 Year of the Bow Capes.

#25 Posted by Aetheldod (3509 posts) -

Im not so sure about the speed up gameplay ...seems way to fast :/ for Dark Souls.... aside from that I already love the temple knight costume , thats going to be my class and I do hope that we get all those sweet offensive miracles :D

#26 Posted by Spitznock (482 posts) -

Visually it looks really nice.

#27 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

I told myself I wasn't going to get excited. I failed miserably.

#28 Edited by Carlos1408 (1490 posts) -

I like the close range spell the sorcerer did, looked interesting; perhaps a way in which spellcasters can focus even more on magic without having to sacrifice weakness up close.

I usually go for a temple knight style character on my first playthrough. So I'll probably do that, would be cool to see some new miracle action. Although at the same time I like waiting for the surprise for when I actually play the game. I always seem to go for halberds and large weapons on my first playthrough too, got pretty good with the timings of those weapons.

My second will probably be a dexterity focused character like the dual-wielding dude, and perhaps with some sorcery if the classes are still as open as they were in the previous titles. Man I cannot wait for this game, still looks great!!!

Also I'm not too worried about the lore, I'm sure it'll still be there (as well as the incredible environments). It's not something they can really show off in short videos anyways, plus these have been focused on combat and classes so far. I loved that in both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and I too want it back. My trust is in the developers. This might be the first game I pre-order. :D

#29 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

@leebmx said:

Not watching these because I want to be surprised by the game. I am really a bit worried that a new Dark Souls won't be as good because all the mystery will have gone that made the first game so enthralling. Hopefully it remains as dense and unexplained as the first/(second?)

Also really surprised that there is no next-gen versions. I remember hearing somewhere that the game director of DS1 is working on a new game - anyone know if this is true. Does it worry anyone about the potential quality of DS2 if true?

It probably worries someone, not me though. I chalk there not being any next-gen versions up to the fact that the series is a middle tier one that has just started to gain momentum, so putting resoures into making it for new systems with a low install base might not be among the developer's main priorities. I don't know a lot about how these things work, but if they're already making it for PS3, 360 and PC then maybe that's all they can (or want to) do for now. For what it's worth there's no WiiU version either.

#30 Posted by leebmx (2215 posts) -

@leebmx said:

It probably worries someone, not me though. I chalk there not being any next-gen versions up to the fact that the series is a middle tier one that has just started to gain momentum, so putting resoures into making it for new systems with a low install base might not be among the developer's main priorities. I don't know a lot about how these things work, but if they're already making it for PS3, 360 and PC then maybe that's all they can (or want to) do for now. For what it's worth there's no WiiU version either.

I get that they wouldn't do a version exclusively for next-gen, but maybe a split-gen version? Whatever I am interested in a new game whatever platform it is on but Dark Souls seemed to really suffer from performance issues (at least on my 360) so it could do with some extra horsepower.

But what do I know, I am sure they costed it out and maybe it is not the sort of thing a relatively small dev can afford to do, but with how popular DS was and the way it has made it out onto the stages at E3 you might have hoped that one of the platform-holders might have forked out and given them some help to get a version ready for next-gen. I would have thought it would be quite a big coup for either MS or Sony to say 'we've got Dark Souls2 for PS4 or One' especially as going for the 'core' (grrrr hate that term) gamer seem to be the Big Plays at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.