Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

North America beta test cancelled for the 27th

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

So I guess do to some fuck up NA won't be playing tonight. But namco via twitter has said they will reschedule a new test at a latter date

I'm on iOS so I can't post links but just got to @namcogames on twitter for the message.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

What a shame. At least, I didn't stay up all night for the damn thing.

Here's a link to their Twitter page.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WalkerD

Supposedly it's because the NA version of the game was never updated to the correct version. Even after plenty of people pointed out that the NA version hadn't been updated properly. Namco Bandai really keeps their ears to the ground, fingers close to the pulse of the community.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a relief I guess.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By development

Well, since they're rescheduling North and South America, maybe the next beta can be some time other than the middle of the night.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: yeah I woke up early for a chance to play. Oh well now I must be off to work in a hour and half. Bright side I get time and half for working Sundays =)

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Notification came up in the last ten minutes of the beta. The next beta test is also for all territories and is on November 10th, 1am-4am PST, and 7am-10am GMT. Two weeks from today.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

Bit of a bummer. Was looking forward to trying it out tonight. Can't wait to hear Vinny complain about staying up to try it and not getting to play on the Bombcast though!

Also, this may a bit entitled of me to say, but I really hope that next beta is America-only, since we were the only ones with issues.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoOzak

Sucks for the US, seems like an obvious oversight. Although i'm glad I get another go at the beta, I almost beat the skeleton king and then I got kicked off the server ;(

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: That would sort of defeat the purpose of this beta test being about stressing the servers with simultaneous logins from all areas.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It stinks, as I was talking to people that kept thinking it was just delayed another hour or two, and then it just gets cancelled altogether. Unfortunate.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow what a terrible fuckup. That's just pathetic. Thanks God I didnt wake up early to partake in their shit beta, but there's another one scheduled - apparenty from an ingame message during the beta:

so I'll probably play there, but of course there's nothing about it on the official Namco twitter, is there? Yuck, Namco.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@mustachio said:

@wemibelec90: That would sort of defeat the purpose of this beta test being about stressing the servers with simultaneous logins from all areas.

Considering it sounds like they weren't going to have this test before the debacle tonight, I don't think it would matter much. I'm all for them getting the servers fixed up, (especially since I assume tonight was a server problem?) but I'd like to minimize the chances of this happening again next time.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In two weeks at horrible hours again. This whole thing feels like a big "fuck you" from fromsoft.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mustachio said:

Considering it sounds like they weren't going to have this test before the debacle tonight, I don't think it would matter much. I'm all for them getting the servers fixed up, (especially since I assume tonight was a server problem?) but I'd like to minimize the chances of this happening again next time.

The fact that it went so badly is surely reason for them to have the next one be all territories (which they're doing) so they can make sure they solved the problem. Also invasions and co-op broke down within five minutes this time around, so they absolutely need to test that too. If logins from different regions are causing those problems they need to be dealt with as early as possible.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nekroskop

I played the entirety of the beta and I loved it. Used the dual-wield swordsman. Ask me anything.

-Two bosses

-Backstabs are better(No Magneto powers)

-L3 can be used as a jump button

-Parrying is harder

-Multiple healing items beside the estus(could be there just for the beta.) has a slow regen effect and is doubled when you use two.

-Online was borked during the beta. Only messages seem to work

-UI and HUD massively improved

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Id be pissed about this but Im so goddamn tired I don't even remember how I got to work because I stayed up regardless of having to be at work at 7am.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japanese developer schedules beta at time when Japanese developer is awake and available to work with beta, Americans claim it's a fuck you to them. Oh internet.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@nekroskop: Did you really think parrying was harder? I picked up the timing really fast in the beta even though I still haven't gotten used to most enemies in the original. Didn't figure out the riposte though, is parrying just a knockdown now?

Also guys, this game feels like Dark Souls, dun worry.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: The timing was way more lenient in DaS. This feels more like the parrying in DS. You have to walk over to the knocked down enemy to do a riposte. Not all parries knock enemies down. Couldn't figure out how to do it either.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in the beta or anything but I saw this announcement on facebook. The sense of entitlement in the comments is kind of mind blowing when this is only supposed to be beta testing for the network.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanious said:

Not in the beta or anything but I saw this announcement on facebook. The sense of entitlement in the comments is kind of mind blowing when this is only supposed to be beta testing for the network.

Yeah, it's kind of strange seeing people get upset that they didn't get to play a game well before it is released, and for free. I mean, I totally understand the frustration of the people who stayed up to ridiculous hours (I don't know when it was, I'm assuming based on the way people are talking). I mean, in a way they were trying to do Namco a favor, and they didn't even tell anybody it was canceled until the last minute. It's shitty, but they also don't owe you people shit. Keep some perspective with the complaints.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Vinny.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that whole thing was a mess. Official schedule was incorrect and stated it would start one hour earlier than it actually did, then there was little to no communication and had to rely on the 8-4 dudes and ENB to know what was happening and then we didn't find out it was cancelled until two hours after we were told it was going to start.

BUT HEY I'M GONNA BE THERE FOR THE NEXT TEST TOO CAUSE I DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER!

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WalkerD

@alexw00d: The fuck you is not telling players for two hours in the middle of the night that they've been up for no reason. Then telling them you'll make it up to them, and then telling them it's all okay because you can get into the next inconveniently timed test in two weeks, and after all that finding out the reason it didn't work in the first place is because they didn't do something that people had been telling them needed to be done a week in advance.

I wouldn't have even been all that mad had they flat out said as soon as they realized that they forgot to update the NTSC version of the test that the test would be cancelled. But no, they waited a whole two hours after the original start time to tell people.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

4 A.M. for Est in North America is better than 2, but that's still really early. Hopefully they'll be able to get things under control when the time comes around again and people aren't left waiting around in the wee hours of the morning. It's a beta, so it's understandable though.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@walkerd said:

@alexw00d:

The fuck you is not telling players for two hours in the middle of the night that they've been up for no reason. Then telling them you'll make it up to them, and then telling them it's all okay because you can get into the next inconveniently timed test in two weeks, and after all that finding out the reason it didn't work in the first place is because they didn't do something that people had been telling them needed to be done a week in advance.

I wouldn't have even been all that mad had they flat out said as soon as they realized that they forgot to update the NTSC version of the test that the test would be cancelled. But no, they waited a whole two hours after the original start time to tell people.

It's silly to get mad because this is a test of the incomplete games network. You should expect server delays, bugs, and generally poor performance; that is game development. If you paid money for this, then you and every other play has every right to be mad. But as far as I know you or anyone else did not pay for this. So tough cookies; either wait until the next test or wait for the final game.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the next test goes well, it really is a lot of fun, even with the multiplayer being down. Playing it makes the wait seem that much longer, though.

A few things worth looking out for if you do get in:

- try adding to your agility stat to see the difference it makes first hand. Being able to get your shield up between enemy attacks, chaining from one slash to another in a combo and rolling away with increasing speed was really satisfying.

- try out as many of the different moves with each weapon. The variety is really improved and the animations all have little flourishes. With multiple enemies always ambushing you, choosing the right kind of attack seems more important than ever. Adds an extra layer to the combat, and some variety too.

- read the item descriptions. There's some interesting hints as to the lore hidden in there. My favourite was for the undead key and some of the armour sets.

- the test area is really dark, but if you turn your brightness up a bit you don't actually need a torch. It's worth trying to use the torch to see how the new machanic works though.

- practice your jumping! you can clear pretty big jumps, maybe the distance increases with agility too. also you can't roll across gaps any more.

- the design of the weapons and armour is really nice, quite intricate, and worth looking at.

- attacking fake walls won't reveal them - you've got to press X.

- backstabs are a little different but not too hard to get, and each weapon class has different animations. The axes and ultra greatswords are particularly brutal.

- you keep losing 10% of your health every time you die in hollow form, until you get to 50% max health. The more hollow you get, the crazier you start to look. Hair loss, skin falling off etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.