Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Not sure how much I should be levelling up - need guidance!

Avatar image for secondheartbeat
    SecondHeartbeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm about level 75 at the moment and I have 12 areas filled out on the warp grid. I've been hopping into other people's games frequently to help them defeat bosses, so naturally I've accumulated a lot of souls. I've been fairly conservative in using them, in that I've focussed my spending on items such as gems, weapon buffs and bombs, rather than levelling. I'm concerned that I'll start breezing through the game if I spend anymore on levelling my character because I remember finishing the previous games at this sort of level. From what I've heard (which is not much, aside from brief discussions on various podcasts) I'm about a third of the way through the game; not sure if that is accurate, or not.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I finished the game at 174, lol.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I've been farming bosses in co-op and leveling probably more than I should be, but I'm still finding people in every new area I go to. I wouldn't worry about just leveling when you can.

As for being over-leveled, I was concerned about that too. I was taking out some enemies in Iron Keep with 2 hits from my Lightning Greatsword +10, but they'd still ruin me in 3-4 hits or so. And I'm wearing descent gear. The game will always have a way to kill you. Don't worry.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Finished at SL 152 ish. Spend dem souls.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

Spending souls on items (that you use) is genereally more beneficial than spending it on levels. Stat scaling is already curbed down in this game compared to it's precessors, so I wouldn't be too worried about over-levelling.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to stay able to pvp or coop you have to level. Eventually your soul level will be too low compared to your soul memory and you'll have a hard time finding partners. If you're not worried about multiplayer, then you're free to play as you please.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eventually your soul level will be too low compared to your soul memory and you'll have a hard time finding partners.

man DS is so absurd taken out of context (or even in context)

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sitting at around SL130 with (as I've been generally told) about a third of the game left. I think that estimate is generous since I've done every optional boss I've encountered and I'm standing at Drangleic Castle. Looking at how my stats are moving, I'll probably stop at around SL150 and pour the rest of my soul gains into buying complete armor sets and unattained weapons, filling in my missing magics, and stocking up on upgrade items for NG+.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If you don't want to buy titanite and upgrade then level up for sure, I would upgrade gear before leveling, unless you are working towards a requirement for sometging. Don't worry about being too high I'm at like 150 ajd I haven't beat it yet.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've just been levelling when I beat a boss, not really helping people either. I feel like I'm a pretty high level too so I'd say level when you want and not to worry about it. I don't think levelling anywhere near an amount that is not straight trying to outlevel everything will allow you to breeze through things. That's what heavy armor and a big shield are for.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm around level 145 and working my way up through the final area. You need to be leveling or it'll be difficult to find players with a similar Soul Memory.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

beat last boss at SL 105, guess it really depends on your play style. I used tons of souls to upgrade weapons and armor instead of leveling.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hippocrit

@ripelivejam: WHAT?!?! You are suxors n00b! DS master race forever!

Praise the sun.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sitting at lvl160+ and feeling pretty comfortable, making my way through the last third of the game. I was considering on staying at lower (around 85-90) levels but then again I think I would be severely underpowered for some of the areas or encounters. I feel like DKS2 is gonna have somewhat higher level cap for MP than the previous games, where I generally stuck to the 85-ish zone.

Gaugin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished the game at SL 114

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I'm a few bosses from the end and at SL 135.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My first time through I finished at 152. My second character finished thereabouts as well. It really depends on the build you want, but with the much, much lower soul requirements to level one point to the next it's clear that From expects you to be around that range.

I'm on NG+ right now and I'm at SL202. The game doesn't get less challenging the higher your stats, but having high stats does give you breathing room in the times where things go rotten. Bump as much as you like as the PVP game (if you're at all interested) is in NG+ and Soul Memory/Soul Level doesn't matter at all in that case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.