Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

PC quick look?

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Syndrom

Is happening today? omg, so excited! Can't wait to see if it looks any better and just hope they delivered a solid performance!
    Or this could just be an enormous letdown ofc.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

My prediction is that aside from running at 60fps and 1080p, it'll look the same as the existing console versions. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Of course, once it's out, texture mods, downsampling, and other tweaks ought to push the visuals further.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn

@savage said:

My prediction is that aside from running at 60fps and 1080p, it'll look the same as the existing console versions. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Of course, once it's out, texture mods, downsampling, and other tweaks ought to push the visuals further.

No Caption Provided

Some people on NeoGAF managed to post a screenshot of the PC settings. From the looks of it, it's probably going to look noticeably better than the console versions, with a much better framerate.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just want those 60 frames a second really. extras would be nice ofcourse.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reaaaaallly curious to see if this version looks like the one they were advertising almost the entire time before release. I doubt it will look that drastically different from the console versions, but one can hope!

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@joeyravn: Well, that certainly looks promising! I wonder how it'll compare to the prerelease footage with the enhanced lighting and all.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reaaaaallly curious to see if this version looks like the one they were advertising almost the entire time before release. I doubt it will look that drastically different from the console versions, but one can hope!

I got the impression they cut down the shadows a bit for gameplay's sake. So, at best, I'm guessing the PC version will be a mid-ground, with some of that lighting and high quality textures back.

And, to be honest, I'm not sure how representative the Quick Look will be. I just know people are going to mod it to be even better the first week it comes out.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, i heard the PC version is solid. Hope you PC guys get a good copy of the game, its amazing.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By soldierg654342

It'll look shinier, but probably not much more than that. Specifically with regards to the lighting, I get the feeling that removing that system was more a design choice than one made for performance, as it would have taken away the ability to play the way you want by necessitating a torch most of the time. No one wants The Tomb of the Giants all the time.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

All I want to see is that sweet, sweet 60.

MrFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

25th of April still feels so far away...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The framerate is not really an issue on the 360 version at all and neither are the load times. Some areas just look plain ugly and the game suffers from some terrible textures. If they added new high res textures and better lighting, that would be far better than getting a slightly smoother version of the game that looked just as bad, only now you're sitting up even closer to the screen and can start counting the pixels.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TehPickle

Really, all I want is 60fps and some better lighting and shadows. If it can do that satisfactorily, I'll be totally up for double-dipping.

I bought it day one on 360, and I've only played about an hour. I think I just needed to play it to get the hype out of my system. Now I've gotten that out of the way, I'll be happy to settle in with the PC version.

Also, hooray for having a brand new GTX780 system. It means I can now look forward to things like this and not feel excluded.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beside the graphical settings, I'm also curious about the controls. The first one had some of the worst controls schemes on keyboard & mouse.

MrFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: From watching Brad/Vinny play it, the 360 version seems to have some bad screen tearing in a few places. Running it at 60fps with v-sync on would definitely make a difference.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mrfalcon said:

@humanity: From watching Brad/Vinny play it, the 360 version seems to have some bad screen tearing in a few places. Running it at 60fps with v-sync on would definitely make a difference.

I never really noticed any, but those who are sensitive to it will probably always see it.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karkarov

You can already see screenshots of the pc version on steam and they are noticeably better both in resolution and texture. Guess we will find out about the shadows et all today.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Syndrom
    @humanity said:

@siroptimusprime said:

The framerate is not really an issue on the 360 version at all and neither are the load times. Some areas just look plain ugly and the game suffers from some terrible textures. If they added new high res textures and better lighting, that would be far better than getting a slightly smoother version of the game that looked just as bad, only now you're sitting up even closer to the screen and can start counting the pixels.

Yeah it's not really an issue but i still prefer a solid 60 fps. For me it's just a question of comfort really. And the screen tearing on the 360 version is terribad. And being able to play in 1080p is a big big bonus.

Really, all I want is 60fps and some better lighting and shadows. If it can do that satisfactorily, I'll be totally up for double-dipping.

I bought it day one on 360, and I've only played about an hour. I think I just needed to play it to get the hype out of my system. Now I've gotten that out of the way, I'll be happy to settle in with the PC version.

Also, hooray for having a brand new GTX780 system. It means I can now look forward to things like this and not feel excluded.

Same here, bought the 360 version day one, played about 10 hours, but then stopped (due to other stuff, infamous, warhammer painting and playing) but i really look forward to a smoother and overall beter experience on the pc.

Also i wonder if a better framerate is all that we're gonna get, then why did it take a month for the pc version to come out. If it was the lead platform, you would think it be on the same day as the console versions, right?

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to know if they sent out preview or review codes. Because if they're review codes, then why do they make us wait till 25th for the release?

I dunno, seems early for a full on Quick Look.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ezekiel

I'm annoyed that the recommended Nvidia card changed from a 465 to a 750. I bought this game thinking my 460 could run it well. That's terrible communication. I'm probably not going to cancel my pre-purchase, but it better be well optimized.

MrFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrFalcon

@humanity: It's ok for the most part. Overall I think it's a better version than the ps3 one. There are just some parts around a bonfire or when things are zoomed in really close when it gets kind of rough.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to Brad, this is the version to play. It seems I made a mistake... Oh well. Thank god for Steam Sales

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we having hype threads for alternate Quick Looks of games that have already been Quick Looked? Really?

...because I'm fucking pumped

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dimi3je

Are we having hype threads for alternate Quick Looks of games that have already been Quick Looked? Really?

...because I'm fucking pumped

fuck yeah son

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@savage said:

You would be surprised how much better Dark Souls looked on PC despite no fancy graphical settings. It's like the textures were just made to be on PC even though the port sucked pre-dsfix.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TehPickle

@syndrom: It really wouldnt surprise me if it's being released later because of people like us.

Ultimately, if it came out at the same time, I'd have just bought it on PC and had done with it. As it is, they're getting two sales out of me rather than one. I know that sound incredibly cynical, but I can well imagine that the publishers just didn't want to canibalise on the console sales. They were well aware of the hype surrounding it, which of course they helped to create.

I think this is further substantiated by how they've kept the PC version under wraps for so long. If people saw it at launch (and if according to the Bombcast, it IS the superior version) folks would've just held out instead.

I'd say people like us have been played perfectly.

Edit: Reading that back, that doesn't come across in quite the way I intended, but what the hell. I'm sure you catch my drift. I'd re-word it but the QL is up in a couple of minutes, and I need to grab my popcorn.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chiablo

I didn't really appreciate that Brad was dropping mad spoilers within a minute of the quick look starting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.