Play day one on consoles or wait for PC version later on?

• 145 results
#1 Edited by Fantus1984 (59 posts) -

As the title would imply, I'm getting Dark Souls 2 on PC this time round but kinda want to play it at the same time as everyone else who is getting it on consoles before the PC platform.

I want to experience playing this game fresh like I did when I first played the original Dark Souls when nothing was spoiled or you talked about it with your mates.

I'm thinking of buying both version of the games

What is everyone else doing?

Original article here about the delay on PC here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-19-dark-souls-2-out-on-march-14-pc-version-to-follow

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1626 posts) -

I'm slightly torn on this as well. I'd like to wait for the PC version, but I doubt I'll be able to control myself. Dark Souls is easily my favorite game of the last five years and I am salivating for more of it.

You could get the same freshness with the PC version--just make sure not to read any wikis or forums dedicated to the game and you'd probably be fine.

#3 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

I think if you love Dark Souls, and went to be in on the ground floor of all the discoveries, strategies, etc, you need to buy it on console. If I could remotely afford it that's what I'd be doing.

Or you could try to media/forum blackout yourself until it comes out, but, good luck with that.

#4 Edited by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

I'll get it first on either the PS4 or Xbone and then buy it later on a Steam sale.

#5 Edited by cloudymusic (1105 posts) -

If you're into Souls at all, buy it day one. You'll want to experience it (at least to some extent) before everything's been all figured out and wikified, and it will certainly help support From.

@gargantuan said:

I'll get it first on either the PS4 or Xbone

You may want to double-check what platforms it's been announced for.

#6 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

PC Dark Souls ran like shit for a while after release. I played through most of the game at 20 fps or less.

#7 Edited by Hassun (1069 posts) -

The whole "zeitgeist" argument is vastly overrated. Wait for the PC version.

If you don't want to be spoiled, avoid it. I still haven't played MGS4 and I still haven't been spoiled on it. Same for the The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite.

It's not a hard thing to do.

#8 Edited by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

If you're into Souls at all, buy it day one. You'll want to experience it (at least to some extent) before everything's been all figured out and wikified, and it will certainly help support From.

@gargantuan said:

I'll get it first on either the PS4 or Xbone

You may want to double-check what platforms it's been announced for.

Derp, I'm stupid. I forgot it's a PS3/360 game. I'll get it on the PS3 since I got both Demon's and Dark Souls on the PS3.

#9 Edited by Buneroid (428 posts) -
@hassun said:

If you don't want to be spoiled, avoid it. I still haven't played MGS4 and I still haven't been spoiled on it. Same for the The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite.

Ya but those games don't rely on a community to make them more awesome. With Darksouls you want to be experiencing the online aspects with everyone before they all figure out how to cheese the game or the community starts to die off.

#10 Posted by Daze (50 posts) -

It may only be delayed by a week or two, in 4 months things can change and it may even be released on the same day.

#11 Edited by Fantus1984 (59 posts) -
@buneroid said:
@hassun said:

Ya but those games don't rely on a community to make them more awesome. With Darksouls you want to be experiencing the online aspects with everyone before they all figure out how to cheese the game or the community starts to die off.

Yep, those games are very different. When the first Dark Souls came out it was amazing since they was no info out there and the community coming together. Something like Fez

#12 Edited by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

I am Getting it on PS3 !

#13 Posted by Elyhaym (194 posts) -

I'll wait for PC. If for nothing else than the ability to mod it. People have done some pretty amazing things with what was a pretty shitty port from From Software.

#14 Posted by Turambar (6738 posts) -

@hassun said:

They are vastly different styles of games. Collaboration (and commiseration) comprises a large part of Dark Souls' allure.

#15 Posted by CornBREDX (5100 posts) -

I'll be getting it on PC. I don't think its coming out that much later than the consoles, but I want it on PC anyway. I'm pretty there will be zeitgeist by then and if you want to ignore the zeitgeist that's easy on any day.

#16 Posted by Spoonman671 (4596 posts) -

Get it early. One of the best parts of Demon's/Dark Souls is how the community has to work toward figuring out what the hell is going on. It would be weird to come into it being able to look up anything you want to know about the game.

#17 Posted by Turambar (6738 posts) -

Obviously, the answer is you get both.

#18 Posted by EdgeKasey (131 posts) -

@turambar said:

Obviously, the answer is you get both.

This.

#19 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

If it's less than a month or so then I'll wait. I can resist looking at spoilers and obviously it'll be the superior version because PC.

#20 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1763 posts) -

It depends on how far apart the releases are. Didn't they say the PC version was going to be released in March as well, just later? The same month doesn't seem like too long to wait to me.

#21 Posted by Dixavd (1352 posts) -

I rarely play games on release day/week (even games I bought on release day/week) so being a couple weeks behind on PC is fine by me - especially since I was one of those players that followed some wiki's as I was playing Dark Souls 1 to know if I was going in the right general direction (or if there was a boss I just couldn't figure out); so I'd wait for those things to start to be filled before I played anyway.

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

PC version, no contest.

#23 Posted by mpgeist (597 posts) -

I'm going in first day on PS3. I won't be able to wait and I've never been in on the opening moments. Probably get PC version later on a steam sale.

#24 Posted by DeadpanCakes (842 posts) -

Would definitely go for the day one, if I have the money when it comes around, but I doubt I will so I'm probably going for PC.

#25 Edited by kamolahy (117 posts) -

Play on PC, catch up on backlog.

#26 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

Have I heard correctly that the PC is the lead platform for DS 2?

#27 Edited by Pepsiman (2470 posts) -

I want to buy it on PC myself since Dark Souls turned out fine on that once Durante and some other people worked their magic on it, but I'm still skeptical 2 will turn out okay on that platform from the get-go since Namco-published ports are pretty notorious in general for being not particularly ideal as PC games, even if they typically function okay at a basic level. I have the PS3 version preordered at the moment, but I'm keeping my ears to the ground about how the PC version is turning out because I'd totally love to be proven wrong and just go with that for my first go at the game. Most likely will still end up getting the PS3 version, but will be paying close attention to how the PC fares during and after launch and then maybe double dip from there.

@lukeweizer That's the word going around, but Namco has had a pretty dodgy history of translators working with From Software developers specifically, so I'd still potentially take that remark with a grain of salt. If the Japanese source for those remarks existed, it'd be easy enough for a speaker like me to corroborate or dispel it, but since I believe that tidbit originally came from a western outlet, no such source exists at least publicly. For reasons I stated above, I remain skeptical, even if From itself is otherwise solid as a development house.

#28 Posted by mano521 (1222 posts) -

get both, wait for steam sale for the pc one though

#29 Posted by geirr (2529 posts) -

PC. My PS3 is dead.

#30 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I'm crazy enough to get both. The PS3 version on release and then switch to the PC version once that comes out. There are not a lot of game that I would buy twice, but the sequel to Dark Souls definetly fits the bill. I want to play it as soon as possible and I want it on my PC, I also don't mind giving the developers more money.

#31 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5420 posts) -

I'll probably wait regardless of my platform of choice's release date. After playing a bunch of Dark Souls over this past year, I'm a little burnt out. My experience with this game will more than likely mirror the one I had with the first game, in that I really get into it way after the fact.

In the end it'll definitely be the pc version given I'm really glad to have boxed up my Ps3 and don't want to drag it out anytime soon.

#32 Posted by TobbRobb (4601 posts) -

Oh god why, I probably can't afford to buy both in good conscience. I only did it last time around because there wasn't a PC version announced...

Will have to meditate on this for a few months.

#33 Posted by MB (12263 posts) -

Day one. Half the fun is going to be playing through and figuring everything out with other GB users. Can you imagine the size and scope of the Dark Souls 2 forum for the first week or two after release? It's going to be so awesome.

Even if I do a forum and wiki blackout until the PC version is released, I'll still feel like I'm missing something. That, and given my responsibilities here, I don't think I'll be able to avoid spoilers for very long anyway.

I can also imagine this scenario playing out in two different ways...I'm up against a tough boss I've never seen or heard of before. I summon help, and....

a) Me and my partner work through it and barely beat the boss, maybe both for the first (or second) time, then exchange a few messages about how freaking awesome it was and talk about the mechanics of the fight. Then I come post about it on the forums.

or

b) My co-op partner easily kills the boss with known exploits or cheese strategies and I'm left feeling like I didn't really do anything, then I come post about it on the forums and everyone says, "Yeah dude, we've all known about that for months!"

I'll take A.

#34 Posted by Karkarov (3071 posts) -

I would wait. PC version will have the better graphics, be more moddable, etc etc. It is definitely the better version of Dark Souls no reason to believe it won't be the better version of Dark Souls 2.

#35 Posted by Dragon_Fire (368 posts) -

I'm just going to wait on PC version.

#36 Edited by golguin (3876 posts) -

Console so you can get on that day one. It's going to be a mad scramble to figure out that world's lore and its secrets.

#37 Edited by Iron_Tool (219 posts) -

PC all the way...

I have played Demons Soul's on PS3 when it came out (only option) and have played Dark Souls on PS3 but was always hoping for a PC version for either and finally got it wit Dark Souls. Thanks to the great modding community around the PC the DS version on PC surpassed any other version and I will wait the few weeks for the PC version of Dark Souls 2

#38 Posted by potatomash3r (126 posts) -

BOTH!

Got dark souls day one and it was awesome trying to figure out shit, also people sucked at PvP when it started and it was more fun to run around human and get invaded compared to the now where people just get ridiculous items with low soul level and just bully people trying to get past a boss. One month probably wont make PvP abysmal at low levels, I think it took dark souls 6 months or so before people actually started to get good at the game.

Then i'll jump to PC assuming that its optimized and moddable.

#39 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

Buy it day one, get the PC version on steam sales.

#40 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Both. Day 1 on PS3, double-dip when the PC version gets a discount. And maybe triple-dip if there's a PS4 version.

@karkarov said:

I would wait. PC version will have the better graphics, be more moddable, etc etc. It is definitely the better version of Dark Souls no reason to believe it won't be the better version of Dark Souls 2.

Depends, online is pretty fucked on PC with rampant cheating. Some people prefer to play the game on PS3 for that reason.

#41 Posted by Hassun (1069 posts) -

@turambar:

@fantus1984:

@buneroid:

I should have probably not listed those games and said that I have played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for hundreds of hours, neither of them going with the whole zeitgeist when they came out.
You can spend ages figuring stuff out even when you buy the game today. When people talk about games like Dark Souls and Fez and "being there to figure stuff out together with the community" it usually means a very tiny group of people actually figure something out or check the game files, etc. And the vast majority of people just reading the solutions online.

That's what I mean with the whole zeitgeist argument being vastly overrated.

#42 Edited by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

PC. Zeitgeist be damned.

We're pretty good about avoiding spoilers nowadays anyways, and even if we were weren't I think I can control myself.

#43 Edited by Ezekiel (408 posts) -

PC. I don't have a PS3 anymore, but if I did, still PC. I can be patient. I might even wait for some fixes before I buy it. I'm not playing it with broken stereo, like the first game before Durante fixed the audio. The PC version will be much more convenient for me and hopefully perform better on my computer. I also hate that the console versions of the last two games have locked saves. Spoilers don't concern me. Almost everything will be new to me if I'm careful about what I read. Figuring things out (deciphering the lore) with the community isn't important to me. I want to experience the game alone in the beginning. I'm planning to play it without any help.

#44 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@ezekiel said:

PC. I don't have a PS3 anymore, but if I did, still PC. I can be patient. I might even wait for some fixes before I buy it. I'm not playing it with broken stereo, like the first game before Durante fixed the audio. The PC version will be much more convenient for me and hopefully perform better on my computer. I also hate that the console versions of the last two games have locked saves. Spoilers don't concern me. Almost everything will be new to me if I'm careful about what I read. I'm planning to play this without any help.

That's kind of the point of the game. Your actions have consequences in the Souls games. It's what makes them great.

#45 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

im waiting for PC. Hell, i dont even have my ps3 or 360 hooked on anymore. If it was on PS4 i would probably buy day 1, in this case ill just wait for PC

#46 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Port was garbage, I think this is one of those console is actually the superior version.

#47 Edited by Ezekiel (408 posts) -

@cptbedlam said:

@ezekiel said:

PC. I don't have a PS3 anymore, but if I did, still PC. I can be patient. I might even wait for some fixes before I buy it. I'm not playing it with broken stereo, like the first game before Durante fixed the audio. The PC version will be much more convenient for me and hopefully perform better on my computer. I also hate that the console versions of the last two games have locked saves. Spoilers don't concern me. Almost everything will be new to me if I'm careful about what I read. I'm planning to play this without any help.

That's kind of the point of the game. Your actions have consequences in the Souls games. It's what makes them great.

You don't have to cheat just because you have the option.

That's not why I hate locked saves. I hate them because you can't back them up in case of system failures or data corruption, unless you copy them to Sony's overpriced cloud service, from which they'll be deleted in six or nine months, like mine were. I couldn't get another PS3 in time. A game with locked saves is a broken game.

#48 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@ezekiel: Ah okay, that sounds reasonable.

#49 Posted by Abendlaender (2787 posts) -

Since I don't have the consoles I'll wait for the PC version. I don't know anything about this game (literally, I don't know if Bonfires are in this game, I don't know anything), and I intend to keep it this way.

#50 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I'm not a dark souls crazy fan like others, but after playing it for eight hours and watching Vinnies show I get the appeal and will probably pick up two once it's out on PC. The way that game tricks the player and hides stuff holds zero appeal to me though. So the idea of suffering through all that crap is not a bonus but something I will be glad that there has been a month of people building wikis of information on by the time I get around to it.

Dark Souls got ruined for me though because I got curious and used cheat engine to give myself all the souls. Even with everything maxed out all it did for me was let me take a couple more hits and swing a little longer but there was no huge difference. So seeing that made me not want to grind my way up to it.

I'm hoping with dark souls 2 I will be able to resist firing up cheat engine. Either way, I will probably wait for a sale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.