Puppy I don't want to see in Dark Souls II. (Spoilers)

• 113 results
#51 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

I love the thin rails (Anor Londo rafters). It's such a skill check.

I'd mastered running across those rafters to the point where in my own game I don't have to fight the painting guardians, I just run. It's my favorite place to invade, since I dive over to the flying buttress, run up there and across to the far side of the rafters where I can snipe them with Dragonslayer Greatbow as they slowly try to chase me. It's griefing-tier fun.

#52 Edited by Hayt (284 posts) -

I just want lesd funky shit like tiny slopes that are super slippery or extremely steep hills you can sprint up with ease. I guess I want consistancy. I want to be able to look at a slope and go "thats too sharp i'll slide down if I walk on that" rather than having to learn on a case by case basis like a CS Surf map.

#53 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

No wheel skeletons. I don't care about anything else, just no freaking wheel skeletons or their equivalent.

Okay, yeah, though those Anor Londo archers are a pain in the butt.

There are still wheel skeletons, confirmed.

#54 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

@spoonman671: The skeleton babies were awesome as was Yurt and especially Lautrec.

I didn't say they weren't any good. I just don't think they will be awesome to see again.

#55 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

@turambar said:

@mormonwarrior said:

No wheel skeletons. I don't care about anything else, just no freaking wheel skeletons or their equivalent.

I dunno, lack of a Berserk-boner from the director might influence those out of existence.

Here's hoping.

#56 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

@turambar said:

@mormonwarrior said:

I dunno, lack of a Berserk-boner from the director might influence those out of existence.

Here's hoping.

No, dude, they are definitely in there. You can find footage of the beta on YouTube. There is literally a boss that turns into a bunch of these skeletons.

#57 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

@siroptimusprime said:

@turambar said:

@mormonwarrior said:

Here's hoping.

No, dude, they are definitely in there. You can find footage of the beta on YouTube. There is literally a boss that turns into a bunch of these skeletons.

Well, that's unfortunate. I don't hate these things as much as other people, but avoiding them is far more annoying than just about anything else in Dark Souls. I'd rather the game test me on my knowledge of i-frames with those archers than the dumb wheel pit in the catacombs.

#58 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

@spoonman671 said:

@siroptimusprime said:

@turambar said:

@mormonwarrior said:

Here's hoping.

Well, that's unfortunate. I don't hate these things as much as other people, but avoiding them is far more annoying than just about anything else in Dark Souls. I'd rather the game test me on my knowledge of i-frames with those archers than the dumb wheel pit in the catacombs.

I generally dislike boss fights that involve summoning a bunch of regular enemies for you to fight, so I was pretty disappointed when I saw the Skeleton Lord.

#59 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

As far as repairing goes, From should just increase the costs to make it more meaningful.

Repair costs were way higher in Demon's Souls. It's what made the Scraping Spear so threatening. That thing could easily net you a repair bill in the tens of thousands. I would like to see them brought back up the Demon's Souls levels, if not higher.

Just about the only thing I don't want returning, which seems to already been taking care of for the most part, is weapon's that don't scale with any stats. Namley, stuff like the Chaos/Lighting Zweihander that let people have a ridiculous damage output at absurdly low levels. It brought the overall level cap down so far that it severely limited viable PvP builds and, even if you wern't into that, made it nearly impossibly to find summons if you were over the soft caps each area had.

#60 Posted by redyoshi (156 posts) -

Invisible walkways. Granted, I eventually learned them to the pixel exactly and the community & I put a lot of messages as a guide.

Ugh, I think I died three times more on those walkways than on the boss they were leading up to.

#61 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3327 posts) -

I don't have anything to add, but not having played Dark Souls, this was a fascinating read.

#62 Edited by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

Thinking of those Anor Londo archers, I only died a few times mostly because I kept trying to be cool and have a ranged war with them.

They give zero shits about coolness. Ended up just Chaos Storming them off the edge. After over-swinging once with my sword and sending both me and an archer into the void.

I would enjoy a story set in a world / region that isn't in a decaying, fading state. Buildings that aren't in a collapsing, plant-encroached, monster-filled state, or just empty. It's weird, Anor Londo has a good chunk of enemies, but it still felt empty (or...lifeless?). Like looking at the shell of something that was once great. Though I suppose that's what they were aiming for, since you're at the tail end of the extended Age of Fire and all that jazz.

Always kind of saddened by these stories, where you're put in at the tail-end of a great era, things that were once great, life-filled things are now dead and decaying. Always wish I could see them during their height, or at least during normal times.

But I doubt that'll happen. And just as a note, I haven't played Demon Souls so I don't know anything about that, and I just got through Anor Londo but haven't placed the Lordvessel yet or have done the Artorias past DLC thing, but I did watch LOLS so I think I still kind of know the general feeling of places.

Honestly, I don't really have complaints so far for Dark Souls (the previous bit would just be a nice change for once but I can deal with it). Except the Pinwheel Skeletons and Necromancers. Those guys are just dicks.

#63 Edited by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

I'd like to see more well-hidden areas that are entirely unique. The Painted World and Ash Lake are the best-looking sections of Dark Souls, and their obscurity makes them a little more special than they would be otherwise. More than hiding parts of the game away, though, I hope they maintain the practice of making each place feel significant to the lore, tone, and themes of the game.

#64 Edited by Sinusoidal (1520 posts) -

At this point, there's a lot I hope they change, but I doubt they will. I'm disappointed the game is called "Dark Souls 2". I'd rather they do what they did between the first two games, and make a similarly themed, similarly playing game in an entirely new world.

#65 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

@mrcool11: Ash Lake is beautiful and simply awe-inspiring. Going to the Painted World next time I play, I think. Looking forward to it.

#66 Posted by Ezekiel (453 posts) -

At this point, there's a lot I hope they change, but I doubt they will. I'm disappointed the game is called "Dark Souls 2". I'd rather they do what they did between the first two games, and make a similarly themed, similarly playing game in an entirely new world.

Same.

#67 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@ezekiel: but they would have made demon's souls 2 if they didn't lose the rights to that name.

#68 Edited by Ezekiel (453 posts) -

You mean, if they had all the rights to begin with. I'm glad they had to make a new IP to go multiplatform. I wish they looked at the success of Dark Souls and realized that the fanbase is large enough, the appeal strong enough and the style and gameplay recognizable enough to sustain the series through any name changes. Assuming they want to design new worlds and tell new stories.

#69 Posted by Slag (4402 posts) -

No Capra Demon and I'm good.

#70 Posted by Demoskinos (14838 posts) -

Oh, don't worry they won't do any of what you mentioned they'll do worse. =D

I gotta say though personally, I'm totally not in the mood for Dark Souls anymore. I think I might actually just skip this game entirely.

#71 Posted by bybeach (4832 posts) -

@capum15 said:

@mrcool11: Ash Lake is beautiful and simply awe-inspiring. Going to the Painted World next time I play, I think. Looking forward to it.

There is something about Ash lake. It has both a symmetry and a sparseness about it that makes it feel like a revalant concept in the game. Of course it does not hurt that you can do several things there, one rather profitable for me. I especially appreciated going there after I got warp.

#72 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -
@bybeach said:

@capum15 said:

There is something about Ash lake. It has both a symmetry and a sparseness about it that makes it feel like a revalant concept in the game. Of course it does not hurt that you can do several things there, one rather profitable for me. I especially appreciated going there after I got warp.

Yeah, I explored that place to the fullest, and then just...looked. Went to the second bonfire and got the thing there, and then I just stood on that tiny sandbar path and...looked.

Something about the seemingly infinite space...the dark endless water, those trees, the clouds...it's a very serene place.

#73 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

@capum15 said:
@bybeach said:

@capum15 said:

Yeah, I explored that place to the fullest, and then just...looked. Went to the second bonfire and got the thing there, and then I just stood on that tiny sandbar path and...looked.

Something about the seemingly infinite space...the dark endless water, those trees, the clouds...it's a very serene place.

It's my favorite place in the entire game! The vastness of that section where the horizon seems unending and you feel like the world you're in is so huge, you're just a tiny speck of insubstantial importance. After struggling like hell through most of the game, reaching that area made me sit back and say to myself "yup, I'm just one man fighting to survive. There are limitless adventures that can be had out there".

#74 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

@supamon said:

@capum15 said:
@bybeach said:

@capum15 said:

It's my favorite place in the entire game! The vastness of that section where the horizon seems unending and you feel like the world you're in is so huge, you're just a tiny speck of insubstantial importance. After struggling like hell through most of the game, reaching that area made me sit back and say to myself "yup, I'm just one man fighting to survive. There are limitless adventures that can be had out there".

One thing that is mildly unrelated but becomes noticeable in places like Ash Lake, the Painted World, or Kiln of the First Flame (which is probably also my list of top 3 locations in that game) is the sound of the player's footfalls. Very repetitive-sounding, especially on those unsteady walking surfaces (sand, snow, ash). While I've gotten used to that in games, I remember reading that Jonathon Blow had recorded a massive amount of unique footfall sounds for The Witness. For some reason, I think that is one of the things that I'm most excited about in that game, and I'd love to see the idea applied elsewhere if he executes well on it.

#75 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

While I do not mind accessing areas early, I would like to see Master Key removed as a gift.

#76 Posted by Gatehouse (625 posts) -
@pr1mus said:

Platforming sections like The Great Hollow need to go. The Souls games are terrible platformers.

The platforming is easily the worst bit of Dark Souls (I've not played Demon's Souls souls to my shame) and just felt clunky as hell.

#77 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4814 posts) -

@capum15 said:

@sunbrozak: Ash Lake is amazing. A friend told me if I found it, then told me to look around an area for the entrance. The Great Hollow was interesting, but damn, Ash Lake's view is incredible. It felt lonely as hell, no messages anywhere that I saw, tiny sand bar to walk along...just...endless lake. Few enemies made it even better.

That's a fucking weird thing I just realized; in all of my playthroughs of Dark Souls I never once found a player message in Ash Lake. Not a one.

... Spooky.

#78 Posted by JCHenderson (123 posts) -

Ideally I would love the developers to fuck with all our expectations. Put us in familiar situations where we think we know what they are up too just to then turn around and fuck us over. That would be truly amazing but very hard to pull off.

#79 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

While I share some of your frustrations, i'm going to let the game designers decide what to put in a game to make it good.

#80 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: I think it's just so out of the way - I mean even just getting to the Great Hollow requires scouring Blighttown Swamp for the entrance, and I'm sure 99% of people just want to GTFO of there as quick as possible - so not many people go there. I'm the type to go around the sides and try every path (I hate when I choose a random path and it's the one that continues forward in games, since I always backtrack, so I love player messages in Dark Souls) and scour each area for that sweet, sweet loot.

Granted, there may just not be something down there worth messaging aside from the view, all the items are pretty simple to find if you explore.

#81 Posted by Ezekiel (453 posts) -

@capum15:

Ash Lake and the Great Hollow are like the Asylum, in that you can't place messages.

#82 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

Ash Lake is fantastic for a pretty simple reason: it is the only place in the game (other than Firelink) that has back ground music. Something about that, after trudging through much of the game with mostly nothing but ambient sounds, makes it very special.

#83 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -
@ezekiel said:

@capum15:

Ash Lake and the Great Hollow are like the Asylum, in that you can't place messages.

Oh, that occurred to me but I brushed it aside. Makes sense now.

#84 Edited by LackingSaint (1815 posts) -

Get rid of Curses. I understand the vast majority of punishing mechanics in Dark Souls, but seriously fuck Curses. Just a complete waste of time that forces the player to backtrack a bunch and diverts attention from the actual gameplay; you already have Toxic for a higher-stakes punishment version of Poison. What I could probably handle is Curse only being in effect until the player dies a second time, so the player has to choose between killing themselves and losing their dropped souls or fighting through to where they were with half-health.

Also, get rid of stuff like the Ring of Favour and Protection. It's interesting when you're constantly asking yourself "What's the best thing for me to have equipped right now?" and that thing is just way too versatile; there's almost no reason to ever take it off, especially when it's destroyed if you do.

#85 Edited by TopSteer (657 posts) -

@lackingsaint:

That's actually a really good idea about how to handle curse, I'd much rather it be like that than what it currently is. I love the Ring of Favour and Protection, my first priority when starting a new character is to make a beeline to Lautrec and kill him and equip that ring for the rest of the game. I think Demon's Souls had way more useful rings overall though.

I know this will never happen but I would like to see them get rid of invading or at least make it optional when playing as a human. I'd prefer not having to play offline just to not have some random person invade me. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been invaded and invaded myself in both Souls games, actually I don't think I've ever experienced either in Dark Souls since I'm almost never human and when I am I either play offline or kill myself directly after.

EDIT: I'd also like to see them get rid of weapons with unique powers, they cost far too much durability to be useful. If they didn't replace an attack I'd be fine with them but I don't like giving up the strong attack for some useless special effect.

#86 Posted by Fitzgerald (274 posts) -

@spoonman671: Wow, I was skeptical at the start of your post but by the end of it I totally agreed.

#87 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -
#88 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

@fitzgerald: It really is surprising how many ideas were re-used for Dark Souls when you think about it.

@lackingsaint: That sounds like a good way of handling Curse, but I reject it based on the fact that you want to take away my Precious.

@topsteer: I feel like Dark Souls put invaders on almost even ground with host characters, whereas in Demon's Souls invaders were at a severe disadvantage. I generally avoided playing as human in Dark Souls because I was guaranteed to get invaded while I spent ten minutes failing to summon allies.

@thephantomnaut: I feel like the Master Key shouldn't be available for first-time players, but I definitely wouldn't get rid of it altogether. It helps to bring back a lot of the character-building that was so accessible in Demon's Souls due to the hub world structure. When I'm rolling a faith build, I know to head to the Valley of Defilement for the blessed mace, or the Valley of Drakes for Astora Straight Sword. Without the Master Key, Dark Souls doesn't really enable this kind of character-focused play.

#89 Edited by plaintomato (599 posts) -

@amyggen said:

Anyways, really like how swearing in thread titles are censored to "puppy" :)

ha. I never knew that so I had no clue what this thread would be about...maybe Sif or something?

Anyway, I don't really see a problem with any of this stuff as long as they make the game fresh, which they have. Precarious catwalks? Going to be there. Poisonous floors? Going to be there (DkS had multiple types - poison swamp, lava, sticky tar, and even the fetus enemies are really just another version of a poisonous floor...you're not going to see that disappear as a way to change things up). It's going to be a big world, and they're going to have new ways to screw with you, but the tried & true will be back as well.

And I don't care if there is a Puppy in Dark Souls 2 - I just want to let him live (and like, get his sword as a reward if you show mercy and let him live!).

i never got the hate for anor londo archers honestly. i heard about them all before playing this game and i thought it was some crazy unbeatable death trap but it really wasn't very bad for me

There's your problem right there. Playing blind, chances are you wind up meeting them without a fog ring, without poison arrows, without a heavy shield, with only mediocre stamina, and a little iffy on your roll timing. I get the hate. But I don't get why someone wouldn't love something so deliciously hateful.

#90 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

but i didn't prepare for them, i just said oh yeah this part is going to be hard i guess, then i ran up and went to the right and killed the knight and it was over. maybe people just overthink things

#91 Edited by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

They should have a huge bridge and put a large Red Dragon on it; but they should twist in that the Red Dragon was just a baby dragon and the bridge itself was just a massive dragon the whole time.

Basically, I want them to recreate that part in Dragon Ball Z where Goku has to run along the dragon bridge to become a true warrior but the dragon bridge is actually trying to kill you.

#92 Posted by TopSteer (657 posts) -

I hope there are no more random weapon drops on enemies that don't respawn. One of my favorite weapons is the Black Knight Greataxe which you only have one small chance to obtain before the very end of the game.

I know this thread is about what you don't want to see but armor really should have strength requirements, it's dumb that even if you don't have enough strength to wield a puny broadsword you can put on the heaviest armor without penalty. Also please include a viable greatshield that doesn't weigh a ton.

#93 Posted by golguin (3930 posts) -

@topsteer said:

I hope there are no more random weapon drops on enemies that don't respawn. One of my favorite weapons is the Black Knight Greataxe which you only have one small chance to obtain before the very end of the game.

I know this thread is about what you don't want to see but armor really should have strength requirements, it's dumb that even if you don't have enough strength to wield a puny broadsword you can put on the heaviest armor without penalty. Also please include a viable greatshield that doesn't weigh a ton.

I believe the whole point of a greatshield is that they have to weight a ton. It's like asking for a very damaging weapon that weighs very little and is fast.

#94 Posted by HH (610 posts) -

targeting that prevents me from seeing the action - i'd prefer if the right stick allowed me to look up at the huge enemy i'm standing under rather than switch to a different target. melee fighting too often prevents seeing attack animations, because you're focused on the enemy's midriff and nothing else. not being able to look in any direction for fear of switching targets doesn't make any sense.

also the targeting range could be a bit longer, and more consistent. if i can see him, no matter what he's behind i should be able to target him, even if i can't hit him yet.

also can't my head become invisible or see-through if i'm cornered in a tight space and the camera can't see anything?

also lay off the slidey-tree-branch-fall-to-certain-death bullshit, it's too hard to gauge, and it's just dickish. if it's a branch i can stand on it ffs.

they've probably already announced all of this will be unchanged haven't they? slidey tree branch bastards.

#95 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

@spoonman671: What? That makes no sense, but at any rate Yurt 3.0/Lautrec 2.0 is a guaranteed occurrence and I'm sure it will be even more interesting this time around. You'd have to be a crazy person to not want more malicious NPCs.

#96 Posted by TopSteer (657 posts) -

@golguin: But they have had light greatshields before, Demon's had the steel and the purple flame shield, Dark Souls had the eagle shield before they made it useless in a patch. The next lightest greatshields are the bonewheel and the tower shield which are only really viable if you go for a heavy build. I've said it before but the thing I value the most in a shield is deflection which is why the only medium shield in Dark Souls that i will use is the iron round shield which has greatshield like deflection.

#97 Posted by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

I'm just curious to see how the "all invasions at all times" thing will work out when a lot of people are playing the game. In theory it sounds like the worst idea ever.

P.s.: I always hated invasions and never had any fun with it even when I succesfully beat the invaders. I wish they'd get rid of PvP entirelly in these games.

#98 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

@spoonman671: What? That makes no sense, but at any rate Yurt 3.0/Lautrec 2.0 is a guaranteed occurrence and I'm sure it will be even more interesting this time around. You'd have to be a crazy person to not want more malicious NPCs.

First NPC I see with a Shotel is getting dead. They'll probably be a super important merchant too.

#99 Posted by dudeglove (7859 posts) -

#ripsif

#100 Posted by Hunter5024 (5688 posts) -

I think there should be a really really really long bridge, with absolutely no hazards whatsoever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.