Ran into my first PC cheater

• 50 results
#1 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

So there I was in Grave of saints minding my own rat bro'ing business (and business is good! 4 win streak since I defected from blue sentinels) when I ran into Excep1on. He just stood there while I swung at him and his health didn't drop at all. He might have even had infinite spells, I couldn't confirm that though.

Have you guys run into any cheaters/hackers like this that the rest of us should watch out for? Is there anyway of reporting this?

#2 Edited by CoinMatze (471 posts) -

I fought a guy in the Moon Butterfly Set, two days ago on PC. Hit him with two Crystal Soul Spears and he took the full load of my Soul Geyser at 99 INT and a Staff of Wisdom +5. Barely made a dent in his lifebar. Not even 10%. Maybe he was geared against magic, I'm not sure. But I repeatedly fought two guys yesterday who were specced to wreck and a Crystal Souls Spear hit them for a third of their lifebar.

#3 Edited by PollySMPS (222 posts) -

I've run into one cheater while sparring with Blue Sentinels. Infinite HP of course, but he didn't really seem to have much of a grasp on anything else (big surprise, I know.) I basically spent 10 minutes rolling in and poking him and easily evading his attacks before the session either timed out or he ALT+F4'd because I wouldn't let him win.

#4 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Get used to it. However, I discovered cheaters are really, really lousy in PvP and they have no sense of their surrounding. I didn't do it yet on DS2 but on Dark Souls I used gravity to the job for me. It wasn't too often for the most part.

#5 Posted by PollySMPS (222 posts) -

@mordukai: Making them walk backward off a cliff or punting their dumbasses off a ledge was ever so satisfying.

My real beef with cheaters in PvP this time around is that beating them can completely fuck your Soul Memory and how you get matched up from then on. It's not worth winning this time if you're looking to maintain a reasonable Soul Memory since most of them also drop in excess of a million souls.

#6 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

I finished NG 4 days ago on PC and I'm a little worried about going into NG+. On PC and Xbox, I never got invaded in NG, but once I got to NG+... EVERY 5 MINUTES. I'm just worried about running into cheaters the entire time on PC.

#7 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@pollysmps: Soul Memory is about the only reason I don't want to do any PvP in DS2. They either need to remove it or rethink it. For that reason alone, every time I get invaded which hasn't happened too much, I just stand there and let them kill me.

I am also pretty sure many PvP people use the infinite stamina or the infinite spells. I see them swinging till there's no tomorrow only to do 300+ rolls and then spam spells that I know for a fact the number of times they can use without using herbs to replenish them.

That said, I have no problems with people using trainers in for the single player aspect, or to train on enemies but is you do either do it offline or if you and your buddy using it to train for PvP then at least make sure to do it in a spot that's not full of invaders.

#8 Edited by Zevvion (1858 posts) -

I finished NG 4 days ago on PC and I'm a little worried about going into NG+. On PC and Xbox, I never got invaded in NG, but once I got to NG+... EVERY 5 MINUTES. I'm just worried about running into cheaters the entire time on PC.

Let me tell you... they are.

I went into NG+ real quick after my first playthrough on PC and went to kill Ornstein. I was invaded about 9 times. 6 of them were hackers. It was awful. I may have been very unlucky there as no one seems to report these high numbers but me. But yeah, it won't be long before I prefer the console version again.

#9 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

...he took the full load of my Soul Geyser at 99 INT and a Staff of Wisdom +5.

Gross, dude.

#10 Posted by Karkarov (3071 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@lukeweizer said:

Let me tell you... they are.

I went into NG+ real quick after my first playthrough on PC and went to kill Ornstein. I was invaded about 9 times. 6 of them were hackers. It was awful. I may have been very unlucky there as no one seems to report these high numbers but me. But yeah, it won't be long before I prefer the console version again.

Yeah this is why I am afraid going into NG+ on PC will be a giant waste of time. Which is pretty sad altogether. Maybe I will do it but just play offline ;\

#11 Edited by CoinMatze (471 posts) -

@svenzon said:

@coinmatze said:

Gross, dude.

Next time I'll Climax all over him with my Dark Sunset Staff +5. Edit: I forgot that it's a Chime Hex, so I'll actually have to use my Chime of Want.

#12 Posted by SomeJerk (3216 posts) -

PS3 Dark Souls 1 was as good as it got, I had the luck to never actually meet one there :(

Wish there was a secret VAC going with their Steam accounts getting murdered as a result.

#13 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

I've run into one cheater while sparring with Blue Sentinels. Infinite HP of course, but he didn't really seem to have much of a grasp on anything else (big surprise, I know.) I basically spent 10 minutes rolling in and poking him and easily evading his attacks before the session either timed out or he ALT+F4'd because I wouldn't let him win.

That's how I dealt with this guy. He was pretty awful, and I just havel/rebel blocked his physical/magic attacks and rolled until he timed out. Still, I nearly broke my sword cause I wanted to swing at him anyways lol.

And yeah soul memory sounds like it's more harm than hurt. If you were screwing around with your souls with no concept of the soul memory mechanics then you're really screwed.

#14 Edited by Zevvion (1858 posts) -

@svenzon said:

@coinmatze said:

Gross, dude.

I fapped to this.

#15 Edited by Yokelbloke (14 posts) -

Why yes, I have encountered a cheater/hacker. I was invaded in Huntsmans Copse, murdered brutally, reloaded at the bonfire aaaaaand, all my stats had reset. At least my soul level was also reset, but it would have taken a fairly long time to get 300546 souls (my souls memory). Basically just deleted the character and started again. Offline only for me now! Thanks guy! I didn't even get his name.

#16 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

Why yes, I have encountered a cheater/hacker. I was invaded in Huntsmans Copse, murdered brutally, reloaded at the bonfire aaaaaand, all my stats had reset. At least my soul level was also reset, but it would have taken a fairly long time to get 300546 souls (my souls memory). Basically just deleted the character and started again. Offline only for me now! Thanks guy! I didn't even get his name.

That's fucking crazy. You could download Cheat Engine and give yourself 2 million Souls or whatever level you were to get yourself back up there. Might feelt dirty, but you were already at the level.

#17 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

@yokelbloke: Holy crap thanks for the heads up that sounds really scary! I've already beaten the game so I'm pretty much only doing pvp now, so the fact that that can happen is very worrysome... Was Dark Souls on PC also riddled with hackers? And did From end up doing anything about that? This really sucks

#18 Edited by Capum15 (4876 posts) -

Is there no VAC for this game? I thought there would be.

@somejerk said:

PS3 Dark Souls 1 was as good as it got, I had the luck to never actually meet one there :(

Wish there was a secret VAC going with their Steam accounts getting murdered as a result.

@yokelbloke said:

That's fucking crazy. You could download Cheat Engine and give yourself 2 million Souls or whatever level you were to get yourself back up there. Might feelt dirty, but you were already at the level.

Fucking hell, that's...yeah. Heard about it in DS1, sad to see it's back. Cheat Engine could work, but I dunno if VAC would do something about it. I used it in Dark Souls 1 for my third or so (offline only) character, but that was GFWL and not Steamworks.

God, what an asshole thing to do. I'm glad my only invader that I fought was just some dude who was better than me. I've since just started bailing off cliffs or into lava because I still hate the PvP.

#19 Posted by ThunderSlash (1686 posts) -

Wow. I don't know if you guys are just unlucky but the amount of hackers I've been hearing about on the PC version sounds insane. According to Dark Souls 2's steam page, it does use Valve Anti Cheat. I'm guessing that those that get caught will be unable to play Dark Souls 2 online once next wave of bans hit.

#20 Posted by Capum15 (4876 posts) -

@thunderslash: Yeah, I googled a bit and found a Reddit posting 8 days ago saying it's now VAC secured on the store page. I think they delay bans to fudge up guessing when the cheat was detected (going off of a bunch of posts I've read, anyway), so maybe the bans will start coming soon.

God, if that happened to me with my 2 million Soul Memory...still haven't beat it yet. Kinda hard to find co-op friends.

At least I'd know a good 80% of the game on a new character.

#21 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

Hey guys I just found out you can do this in the steam overlay so thought I would share it in case I wasn't the only one who didn't know.

You can pop up the steam overlay, under Friends, click View Players, and under the Recent Games tab you'll find the steam profile of the guy that just PvP'ed you (1v1 anyways, if there's more than 1 player in your game then you better hope you can connect the player name to the steam profile name). You can go into their profile through the second column in the Recent Games tab and click "More" to the top right of their profile page and select Report Violation --> Suspected Cheater if you catch them hacking/cheating.

#22 Posted by Pr1mus (3873 posts) -

On PC you can always just alt-f4 when invaded. The game loads so fast that it really isn't a problem. Invaders, legit or otherwise, can cry all they want i'll never feel bad about doing this.

#23 Posted by Karkarov (3071 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

On PC you can always just alt-f4 when invaded. The game loads so fast that it really isn't a problem. Invaders, legit or otherwise, can cry all they want i'll never feel bad about doing this.

To be honest if you are dealing with someone who is clearly cheating this is really not a bad piece of advice.

#24 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5432 posts) -

When I was summoned to another bell tower someone was trespassing on, a fellow phantom began to attack me while ignoring the invader. I'm not sure why he was able to attack me, unless I'm just unaware that you can fight fellow phantoms. Even if that's the case he was invincible to my attacks. After escaping this presumed cheater to try and find the trespasser, he warped me through the geometry of the stairs and somehow backstabbed me. That was the first time I ran into weird hacker shit and hopefully it'll be the last.

#25 Posted by PollySMPS (222 posts) -

@pr1mus: This can get you banned from being able to co-op or invade. There's a one-use item that will let you reset your ban, but after that, if you continue to do it, you'll be locked out of being able to summon or be summoned.

#26 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

@karkarov: @pr1mus: I read in the wiki that if you disconnect "illegally" too much, you'll be given a penalty that makes it harder for you to summon friendly/co-op phantoms and shades and be summoned while still being able to be invaded just as easily. Which is what the bone of order item is there to restore.

#27 Posted by development (2252 posts) -

It's fucking pathetic that Fromsoft didn't implement any meaningful safeguards against cheaters.

There's an auto-save-state tool you can download from Nexus that'll remedy this shit. Just don't abuse it. Trust me when I say save-scumming totally ruins these games.

#29 Posted by Dixavd (1353 posts) -

This brings up a bigger question for me: Are the majority of PvP players extremely bad at the game (especially in PvP)? Everytime I've been invaded (or in the case of the bell tower place, Grey Phantomed) I have only been killed twice by an invader. And both times they were due to my controller losing connection*. I always thought I was horrible at Dark Souls - it took me over 300 hours to finish the first one, and I only played the areas I stumbled upon (meaning large amounts of the side-content I never got around to). Although I am a slow player in general due to love of just existing in games as well as playing with mechanics and trying to ace mini-contests I put on myself within the context of the game. But still, 300hours was much more than I would have expected. And it was all down to being bad at the game by being a horrible dodger.

However, in Dark Souls 2, while I struggle dodging enemies still, all of the invaders I have had have barely touched me (and when they did, I've been able to heal before they were able to come at me for a second/killing-spree). It seems insane to me to think people would play the PvP in Dark Souls 2 and have their techniques completely outclassed by me and my very novice skills. Am I just crazy/lucky? Am I actually a better player than I think I am? I've never actually delved into the PvP other than being invaded/summoning for bosses since I find the games challenging enough due to my inability to make the character do what I know I should do in the time I have to act (my biggest issue stems from reaction time), so I've always thought traversing into the PvP scene would be an act of stupidity.

I'm not even over levelled (I'm at level 60-ish having got to the approx. 20 mark on strength, vitality and adaptability that I wanted and now diversifying into other stats); at least I don't think I am.

It seems strange to me because in the original Dark Souls, I was over-levelled throughout the game (being over the level 120 PvP threshold that people talked about by Dukes Archive) and was still outclassed by any phantom that invaded me.

Is there something in Dark Souls 2 that I don't know about that has seriously helped in my favour or something (I thought a more mid-to-heavy range character was considered sub-par in Dark Souls 2, I'm just doing it because that's the build I enjoy despite the clear pitfalls it has)?

I haven't seemed to have been invaded by a hacker yet. Though I can't tell, in general I find PvP players to be abit hitchy on where they are anyway, so I wouldn't be able to tell what was basic connection issues and what was cheater-warping. Also, I find my attacks do between 1/100th to 1/10th damage to all those who invade me, so I don't think I'd notice if a player had an exceedingly high defense/HP anyway.

*I have a problem with my controller that seems to be an issue with my set-up for all games with my controller - just saying this if any nice fellows start pointing me to the Dark Souls 2 fixes, I'm pretty sure it isn't related to that)

#30 Posted by Humanity (9056 posts) -

@lanechanger: Part of me thinks that sucks because cheating ruins multiplayer games - while another part of me thinks that, while being part of the rat covenant, you deserve every horrible that could potentially happen to you.

#31 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

add socici to the hacker list, no health drop, running around with one of the pre-order starter weapons, barely did any damage to me though so at least he's terrible

@dixavd ha I kind of feel the same way. I never actively sought out pvp in dark souls 1 so now that I beat NG in Dark souls 2 I figure I try to max out the covenants, but am finding that the pvp is pretty fun and not as overwhelming as I thought it was for some reason, having a lighting defender greatsword as a faith heavy cleric does help though with the damage!

@humanity D: hey at least I don't burn absolutely all my bon ascestics into that place, I really just want to max out the covenants, once I get 3 more rat tails I'm moving on!

#32 Posted by cloudnineboya (803 posts) -

Yea got invaded the guy was not unbeatable had him/her down to a quarter of health we are both facing off and the next thing out of the blue the dude is back stabbing me.

#33 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

That might just be lag though and not cheating. I'm usually on the receiving end but last night it worked to my favor for once. My character started off doing a horizontal swing, and then next second I got moved quite some space away and apparently I was backstabbing the enemy. But throughout that fight all the health drop was delayed by several seconds so it was a wonky fight in the first place.

#34 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

I just maxed out my rat covenant and rejoined the blue sentinel (and then subsequently left it again) and now trying dragon remnant for the first time. Dragon remnant is actually a lot of fun! just one on one adrenaline pumping duels.

#35 Posted by cloudnineboya (803 posts) -

you might be right! it must of been a huge rubber band effect for there was a good space between us, not that it bothers me i don't do the pvp or invade just thought it was wack.

#36 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

I just got invaded by an elixir who hit me from like literally halfway across the bridge in the first iron keep bonfire, anyone else run into that? (and no we definitely were not lagging, he was even hitting me through my shield with regular attacks when he wasn't even close to me)

#37 Posted by Zevvion (1858 posts) -

@dixavd: It may be possible the invaders you are talking about are NPC's. There are a bunch of NPC invaders throughout the game. The thing is, almost no one invades you in NG. Invasions mostly happen in NG+. In over 5 playthroughs in NG, I've been invaded by human players once to twice per playthrough on average.

That said, the thought that Rorie and many others put into people's heads that people are specifically geared for PvP and it's near impossible to beat them, was never true. In Dark Souls, I was never geared towards PvP. In Dark Souls II I was never geared towards PvP. I win the majority of matches in both. Everyone can win, always. I've lost fights where the invader only had 10% of his health left and I healed twice. I've won fights where I was at less than half health and was invaded by 2 gray spirits and they fought me together.

Anything can happen. I'm glad they decided to make everyone invadable, human form or no. It seems a lot of people are surprised how it's actually pretty fun.

#38 Posted by Dixavd (1353 posts) -

@zevvion:

Holy shit this was long, if you don't then don't read. I won't mind. sorry for bothering you with something so long. I need to learn to master brevity. Gonna post it anyway now that I've written it.

Thanks about mentioning the in-game invasions (I hadn't heard about them), I looked them though and they don't fit. The majority of my invasions though don't fit. Firstly, I can now picture which ones were clearly NPC ones due to the AI as well as where they appeared and what they did (one appeared in line of sight with me but only started moving when I got within a couple steps of him, proceeding to charge at me away from where was at that point (showing it wasn't a player planning out that they wanted to fight in a specific place, especially since he'd follow me around, despite not going to towards me when he could see me earlier.

Regardless, more than those instances I should say that the invasions were mostly in the bell tower area and clearly people as I had invasions repeatedly over and over, due to the point of the area for that covernant-thing, (sometimes with the same names of people invading - i.e. same person). But also they didn't act like AI (some even ignoring me to begin with - clearly trying to mess with me/taunt me out to a worse position for me before actually trying to fight with me. And also, I actually summoned a guy who tried to invade me - I had easily outclassed him (dodging wise as well as healing wise despite how I could hit him for very little and he could hit me for a lot in a single strike - and he was playing naked with the fists thing, so it wasn't a case of being a slow build or whatever) during the invasion, but during the summoning with the Gargoyles he was clearly a good player from a PvE perspective; and yet he was focusing on the PvP part where I had beaten him with only a couple of hits of his even hitting me while I had to do a significant amount on him to do any series damage. This is all assuming that I am a bad player (which I think I am because I have timing issues in general having very low reaction tim, adding lag to that and someone doesn't need to warp to back-stab me even when I'm playing my best).

I should say that I'm not saying whichever part PvP or PvE (or even both) that someone focuses on should be determined on if they'd be good at it - but I'm just saying that my expectation was that there would be more on-their-game PvP players (better than me) than ones below my level. That said I might be ignoring the healing thing as I tried a couple invasions for the first time in that bell tower place (again, I never got killed as the invader - which I felt pretty bad about afterwards) and found there was that limit healing to the invader - which is cool to find out (gives me a little less pressure during me getting invaded knowing I don't have to be extra-careful to make sure they don't heal themselves and come after me after doing significant damage to them).

Or maybe I'm just not as bad as I thought I was.

I'd also like to say that, ignoring the shitty thangs that cheaters do, I do think the implimentation of PvP all-the-time is very cool as I've tried it out for the first time because of it.

Also, I didn't think about the multiplayer as some big fortress of fantastic players, just better players than me, as I was invaded many times in the original Dark Souls 1 and I only ever killed 2 of them.

Nevertheless, thanks for the response - good to know about those NPC invader things.

And I'm totally with you, Dark Souls is never a full-gone conclusion on anything, including PvP. It's why I'm not complacent even if I think I can easily out-play the invader (i.e. dodge/block all their attacks and get a hit in). And I will say I really enjoy the tense and close fights (something I've been missing form the PvE part).

My problem with PvP (and while I'll continue to focus on PvE despite enjoying playing in the PvP stuff) is more of a story thing honestly, it breaks the immersion for me of the world when the phantom stuff is mentioned as I think the in-game explanation of it is a bit too hand-wavey (especially when compared to how blatent the screen tells you when it happens with a huge bar that blocks the bottom 5% of the screen - for me it's too in-my-face for me to believe it has any relation to what's happening in the world or the ideas in the game) But all this is just me and my preference of story-over-gameplay.

Still thanks for the reply. Got any advice for what a newbie PvP player like me should pick for a covenant if I were to try the PvP more? Honestly, I'd like to play it without having to invade people because I'd actually get sad (as in seriously, I'd be annoyed with myself) if my invasion took the life of another player who was struggling with that area in PvE. I've heard of the "invite to fight" things but I haven't figured out how to do that yet and what that means (will the people waiting be able to see all my stats and basically choose whether to fight me because their build counters my build - such as a high-defence cleric-player). It's a little confusing, but I'm sure I'll enjoy a little treading into it even if only a tiny bit.

Since we are on the subject of PvP and you mentioned that cool 2v1 fight you won. I had the same thing, two grey spirits on me at once trying to kill me. I realised if I sued the stairs then that limited their ease-of-surrounding me and fought that way. But then they made too good of a team against my build. One was a super-heavy hitter who faught up close and the other was a fast sorcerer. So this meant limiting to the stairs basically did nothing as the sorcerer didn't want to go near me anyway. But through what seems miracculous to me, I won the fight and felt extremely proud of it. More than killing any boss in the game so far. So yeah, I'm totally with you PvP is definitely amazing when its not being frustrating due to cheaters.

#39 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

@dixavd: If you want to try out PvP more in a more consensual and fair terms, I'd highly recommend Dragon Covenant. It's been the snappiest and most consistent way for me to get my PvP on having tried out bell keepers, rats, and blue sentinel. And I also felt a strange sense of honor among most of the players who will wait at a distance to let you buff up if you choose so (there'll always be some sneaks starting out behind you trying to bs you or trying to cast an AoE spell to get a dirty first hit in). Drop your dragon eye on the bridge near iron keep's first bonfire, or just summon other people's eyes there for best results.

#40 Posted by Dixavd (1353 posts) -

@lanechanger: Fantastic, I'll try that. I'll make it a priority when I get to the Dragon Covenant. Thanks.

#41 Posted by Lanechanger (464 posts) -

@dixavd: yeah definitely give it a try

Just ran into one "desean" that didn't drop in health and was able to spam special weapon heavy attack, so I guessinfinite durability is also out there

#42 Edited by Capum15 (4876 posts) -

@zevvion: I got invaded about 6 times in 10 minutes NG, Iron Keep. I was just farming souls so I could upgrade a few things. After my three previous invasions being utter and complete losses, I just started bailing into lava. Enemies would fall with a single Lightning Spear (and I have like, 16 of the things) so it was trivial to get my souls back. The only times I've ever "won" an invasion were when I was a phantom, along with another phantom, helping the host get to a boss.

Also, it's terrifying to see some dude just waltz through a Chaos Storm, taking a sliver of damage, to one-shot backstab me.

#43 Edited by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

@dixavd: @lanechanger: The Dragon covenent PvP on the Ironkeep bridge is kinda hit and miss I find. Half the time the other player is as honorable as you and will give setup time for a weapon buff and bow, the other half will instantly rush you with all of their buffs and spells up already just as you spawn, or backstab you with their pre applied buffs while you assume you have the time to apply yours. I mean shit whats the point, it's a dueling covenant, if you gonna cheat at the fight just go big with invulnerability or instakills then.

#44 Posted by PollySMPS (222 posts) -

Yesterday was a goldmine of cheaters for me, unfortunately. Was doing some helping out some folks with Smelter Demon and got summoned by a guy that was using infinite HP and infinite stamina. I was gonna call it lag when I saw the guy eat a full combo and take no damage, but knew something was up when I'd backed off and saw the guy swinging his Giant Club without ever stopping, even after the boss had died and I was fading out he just kept swinging. I'm not sure why he's summoning with infinite HP and stamina. I guess I was supposed to be impressed or something.

Second run-in was later in the evening when I was playing a newly created caster and was helping some folks with Old Dragonslayer. Same deal with a dude getting creamed over and over and taking no damage. Still confused as to why these people are summoning anybody!

The last one basically ruined it all for me. Before going to work this morning, I was running down to Huntsman's Copse to grab a few things, got invaded. The guy appears in end-game gear, takes no damage from my attacks, and proceeds to one-shot me with an attack. When I respawn at my bonfire, all my stats were 1.

Think I'm done with this game for a while.

#45 Edited by Zevvion (1858 posts) -

@tennmuerti Agreed. When I did Dragon PvP some people just instantly backstabbed me, and even though I immediately rolled away when I saw them standing behind me as I spawned, they got the backstab anyway. It's a bit dull. I don't mind if some players don't want a fair fight and buff their weapon beforehand and rush you; that's a strategy. But the instant backstab stuff feels so cheap.

@capum15 said:

@zevvion: I got invaded about 6 times in 10 minutes NG, Iron Keep. I was just farming souls so I could upgrade a few things. After my three previous invasions being utter and complete losses, I just started bailing into lava. Enemies would fall with a single Lightning Spear (and I have like, 16 of the things) so it was trivial to get my souls back. The only times I've ever "won" an invasion were when I was a phantom, along with another phantom, helping the host get to a boss.

Also, it's terrifying to see some dude just waltz through a Chaos Storm, taking a sliver of damage, to one-shot backstab me.

So you're a hexer? I have to say though, it is more difficult to be succesful when using spells. Most people can just dodge them easily. Hexer's usually invest heavily in FTH and INT leaving your other stats a bit lower. You would have a disadvantage at that point. A bit later in the game there are some powerful hexes that home in on your target. Once you get those, you should do better in PvP. They aren't as easy to dodge. Also, at that point you may have invested enough in a weapon to make it effective.

#46 Posted by Karkarov (3071 posts) -

@dixavd: @lanechanger: The Dragon covenent PvP on the Ironkeep bridge is kinda hit and miss I find. Half the time the other player is as honorable as you and will give setup time for a weapon buff and bow, the other half will instantly rush you with all of their buffs and spells up already just as you spawn, or backstab you with their pre applied buffs while you assume you have the time to apply yours. I mean shit whats the point, it's a dueling covenant, if you gonna cheat at the fight just go big with invulnerability or instakills then.

I hate to say it Ten but again, there is no such thing as a dueling covenant. The only time you should ever expect fair play and rules to be followed is if you are fighting in some sort of organized pvp event. Outside of that there are no rules other than the ones you impose on yourself. There is no "wrong way" to pvp in the Souls games regardless of your covenant, save out right using cheats and hacks like unlimited stamina etc.

#47 Posted by Devil240Z (3325 posts) -

not surprised. there are trainers for the pc version where you can hit a button for 10k souls. so people could become gods in that game on PC.

#49 Edited by Capum15 (4876 posts) -

@zevvion: Actually, I use Dual Lightning Caesti with Miracles and Pyromancy as backup or when grinding / co-oping bosses. I can stunlock most people with punches (stunlocked a Havel once as a phantom while the other two guys pounded him) but I'm terrible at invasions since it's just me and there's never any summon signs around.

I can dodge like a motherfucker, but I'm just terrible at PvP because it's actual people and not AI. I don't care for PvP in the slightest so I only focus on PvE stuff. Makes sense I'd get wrecked, I suppose.

#50 Edited by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@tennmuerti said:

I hate to say it Ten but again, there is no such thing as a dueling covenant. The only time you should ever expect fair play and rules to be followed is if you are fighting in some sort of organized pvp event. Outside of that there are no rules other than the ones you impose on yourself. There is no "wrong way" to pvp in the Souls games regardless of your covenant, save out right using cheats and hacks like unlimited stamina etc.

Yes well, it's the same ballpark for me. If you're invading, fine sure gank a player however you want. On a prearranged summoning, if you are being a deliberate dick and using cheap shit like already killing the player who is still in the summoning animation by one shotting him in the back, fuck you, might as well use cheats, it's the same net effect. Why are you even dueling at that point?

The thing is when it's a specific spot where people are summoning each other for fights and the first several I got into everyone was following the same etiquette, bow, buff, start. The BS that I got into after that turned me off trying to summon people or putting down my own sign, as it became a waste of time. I just gave myself a bunch of scales to save time and moved on.

It's alright to say there are no rules, technically sure there aren't any, but because the PvP system in souls games is so fucking broken and exploitable in the first place there kind of have to be self imposed rules to make it fun and/or interesting in any shape or form by the players themselves (after all there is very little difference between for example spells that can one shot anyone and having invulnerability). And it seems like the community did try and do it naturally in a way, like I said half the duelists on the bridge stick to the etiquette that has been kind of established.

I didn't really expect everyone to fight fair, that would be silly. I am just pointing out my anecdotal evidence, as so far, from what I have seen, this has been the most decent/fair/organised/interesting PvP in DS2 that I managed to find, and it's still full of petty bullshitterry. Ganks in WoW were more fair oftentimes and that was a community of children and manchildren.

TLDR: lol "pvp"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.