So Who Will NG+ Dark Souls 2?

• 61 results
Posted by Evilsbane (4979 posts) 1 year, 3 hours ago

Poll: So Who Will NG+ Dark Souls 2? (148 votes)

Yes 84%
No 16%

Just beat Dark Souls 2 tonight very excited to have smashed my way through this great game, massive hammers and an old friends armor helped me on the way to "I Did It!" and I was curious. Who else will NG+ normally I do not, I got 70 hours out of this game which is well worth it to me, I wanna mess around with PvP a bit more but I wonder how far ill make it into NG+. My feeling is not many, seems like most people never finish games in the first place but with the GB community I may be mistaken.

#1 Posted by Evilsbane (4979 posts) -

Also why would or wouldn't you?

#2 Posted by Getz (3275 posts) -

I haven't beaten it yet but I plan to go through the game again, if time permits. I just wanna see how crazy I can get with upgrades to everything.

#3 Posted by Karkarov (3556 posts) -

New game plus is worth it. Wayyyyy too many items and enemies locked behind new game plus not to, I mean you could use ascetics but in all honesty I think you are better off avoiding them all together. Even if you were willing to use the ascetics to get hidden items you don't get enough in one play through to actually pull it off 100% anyway. That said people who stay lower soul level will always see more action in multiplayer on pretty much all fronts.

#4 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1507 posts) -

Im already on my NG++, NG+ was pretty quick after the first play-through. Im enjoying the surprise red phantoms

I've also enjoyed trying out different builds with the soul vessels when i aascended to NG+, dex doesnt seem to be as good for me in DS2 and been enjoying my foray in magic

#5 Posted by wemibelec90 (2034 posts) -

I've never really cared for NG+. I'm always ready to roll a new character/build when I finish the game, so I usually start over. Of course, a lot of souls and spells are held back until later games, so I might have to, especially if I want to get all the achievements for it.

#6 Edited by Sarumarine (2453 posts) -

Before with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, I didn't see much point of playing New Game + as you'd just be playing through the game with the same build you had when you beat it, without trying something new. But I've heard they've done some changes for Dark Souls II with new enemy placements and different items from bosses. I don't know if I'll do it though, staring over with a new character and using different items and spells was always more fun to me.

#7 Posted by rocketboot (143 posts) -

Just wrapping up the endgame stuff but I'm definitely eager to move on to NG+. And then I'm going to keep on going until the PC version comes out.

#8 Posted by Evilsbane (4979 posts) -

I've never really cared for NG+. I'm always ready to roll a new character/build when I finish the game, so I usually start over. Of course, a lot of souls and spells are held back until later games, so I might have to, especially if I want to get all the achievements for it.

Well at least with the vessels it makes that process pretty painless.

#9 Edited by Rand (65 posts) -

I did go to ng++ to get the throphy for all miracles and pyro spells, ng+ was challanging with more enemies and stuff but nothing that my sorc could handle, some of the bosses i could kill with two soul gysers powered with my staff of wisdom +10, 99 int and realese magic.

This will be the first and maybe last game i will get the platinum for

Got the plat throphy not long ago yey!!

#10 Edited by ConfusedOwl (1012 posts) -

I'm on NG++ and feel that I've gotten my fill of the game for now. I've been trying out some different play styles but I'm not feeling it so I might put the game down and come back to it again in a few months.

#11 Posted by Scampbell (504 posts) -

I never did NG+ in Demon Souls or Dark Souls, due to various excuses, but decided to give it a go this time around. It hasn't been nearly as difficult as I had feared, though The Lost Sinner did give me a nasty surprise.

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4920 posts) -

I'll probably end up getting the platinum in this so I guess I will.

#13 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5136 posts) -

Where's the option for "already done it"?

The only insane part of NG+ for me was the Lost Sinner. The surprise in that fight was just mean. The rest of it, while more difficult, was not as bad. If anything, I think NG+ would be good to shake certain people out of their "NO SUMMONING EVER BECAUSE IT'S FOR BABIES" problem. Some of the bosses in NG+ seem explicitly designed around phantom support (thinking of the Looking Glass Knight specifically), and well, Jolly Co-Operation is just fun.

I think I'll do NG+ again on this new mage. 90+ hours as a melee build wants me doing something a little different now.

#14 Posted by ljbrewer (27 posts) -

@rand: Getting to NG++ definitely seems easier than getting to rank 3 in the Blue Sentinels AND the Brotherhood of Blood for the miracle and pyromancy trophies.

#15 Edited by ajamafalous (12308 posts) -

Why would you not?

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4746 posts) -

Souls games aren't like other games. NG+ is the payoff. You spend 70 hours struggling in the first run and then NG+ you'll get to feel like a bad ass by walking through the game.

#17 Posted by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

Already started with my two main characters, though I haven't finished it yet with either of 'em. I've also got a third miracle character on the go, too... I'm such a playthrough whore when it comes to games like these >_>

NG+ has been a lot of fun in Dark Souls 2 anywhoo. I too generally steer clear of NG+ mode for the Souls series because I find it more gratifying to start over with a new type of character; however all of the new twists and changes has made it feel worthwhile. Plus like @mosespippy said, it's fun to play the game with your 'completed' character, with all of your badass armour and weapons on hand.

Certain areas I had already used Ascetics on, though there's so far still been enough surprises to keep me on my toes. I was literally forced to say out loud ''what the fuck is happening?!'' when the screen started shaking and suddenly Duke's Dear Freja shows up, hanging off the edge of the cliff after evading the boulders in the camp. Gave me the chills even.

#18 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1780 posts) -

I'm planning on S-ranking this game like I did DS1 so yeah, going to end up getting to NG++ to acquire the remaining spells without getting deep into PVP. At the moment I am going through NG+ trying to finish up on the Benhart and Lucatiel questlines because I obviously missed them the first time around. Also I missed out on Navlaan's sidequest because of that stupid lever. Damn you for tempting me, From.

#19 Posted by Evilsbane (4979 posts) -

I'm planning on S-ranking this game like I did DS1 so yeah, going to end up getting to NG++ to acquire the remaining spells without getting deep into PVP. At the moment I am going through NG+ trying to finish up on the Benhart and Lucatiel questlines because I obviously missed them the first time around. Also I missed out on Navlaan's sidequest because of that stupid lever. Damn you for tempting me, From.

Wait...thats why I never saw him? lol Fucking Lever.

#20 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1780 posts) -

@evilsbane: The lever frees him from his imprisonment so you could have still seen him. You must have just missed him. Also he will only talk to you if you are human.

#21 Edited by slyspider (1483 posts) -

I plan too, although my other mage char is just starting out while my main one hit a bit of a roadblock

#22 Posted by handlas (2868 posts) -

I just beat it tonight as well... and NG+? I'm probably gonna pass or maybe do it later down the road.

After initially being disappointed with the game it picked up near the end. Better bosses and more beautiful levels.

But I did something shameful. I looked at a walkthrough because I had no idea where to go at the end of the game. It seemed very odd how you get to the final boss. I can say with certain that I could of wandered around for hours and hours and not found what I was suppose to do without looking to the internet. And that pretty crappy to me... Dark Souls at least had a very clear direction and I felt mostly directionless through much of DS2.

#23 Posted by Evilsbane (4979 posts) -

@handlas said:

I just beat it tonight as well... and NG+? I'm probably gonna pass or maybe do it later down the road.

After initially being disappointed with the game it picked up near the end. Better bosses and more beautiful levels.

But I did something shameful. I looked at a walkthrough because I had no idea where to go at the end of the game. It seemed very odd how you get to the final boss. I can say with certain that I could of wandered around for hours and hours and not found what I was suppose to do without looking to the internet. And that pretty crappy to me... Dark Souls at least had a very clear direction and I felt mostly directionless through much of DS2.

I have to agree on that point, I felt like it was fine until I got the item that lets you get to the 4 Memories I didn't really know what to do with it and even when I did find out I just didn't care to remember where they were so I just check the location it wasn't the best final act but I had so much fun getting there. My biggest complaint would have to be that I felt the world did not interlock like Dark Souls did and they did some awesome stuff to wrap you back around to the start but it was just more Demons Souls that way.

#24 Edited by handlas (2868 posts) -

I actually didn't even complete the 4 Memories. I only beat one of them. I was just ready to fight the final boss. Partly because I have no idea where their locations are. Which was part of the issue with finding the final boss as well. I had no idea where the King doors were except for one of them... not even sure how many there are total. I found 3 (one of them being the door to the final boss).

(tried my best to cover up spoilery stuff)

Also I agree the game doesn't feel as tightly connected. You'll be in one area that leads to another area that looks like a completely different world. Which gives you nice variety but just doesn't mesh as well as DS1.

Lack of direction, majority of bosses being kind of crappy and that are my major complaints about the game. It feels like they just tried to cram too much into the game. Too many locations and too many bosses. I bet if they got rid of half the stuff in the game and focused on what was left it would of been better.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the game. I think my end game time was about 40 hours.

#25 Edited by afabs515 (1408 posts) -

Started it about 2 days after I finished my first playthrough. Got to the Lost Sinner and hit an impasse, so I'm taking a break by playing as a new character for a while.

#26 Posted by benspyda (2108 posts) -

It's pretty cool how they add completely new monsters and events NG+. The spider coming up and attacking you earlier in the level is badass. My Str/Faith build is getting destroyed by the Lost Sinner fight in NG+ thanks to the 2 pyromancers. 3 on 1 and fat rolling is not a good combo, I think I may have to shed some of my havel's armor.

#27 Posted by JackSukeru (6052 posts) -

I didn't know they changed stuff for NG+ .

I just finished the game last night and feel like I won't put many more hours into until the PC version comes out. I might totally do a New game + run then though, never really did any in Demon's or Darks 1.

#28 Posted by TheBlue (524 posts) -

I needs my platinum, so yes. I'm on NG++ now just trying to power through to the end to get those spells. It certainly is a major step up from Dark Souls 1 NG+. The whole "first half of the game is cake" simply isn't true in Dark Souls 2. You take two steps forward in NG+ and there are immediately two red phantom enemies charging you. And everything hits like a truck. Most major enemies take at least half my health in one shot. Though, as soon as I leveled up enough to start using hexes and pyromancies, I can see how broken spells in this game are. Being able to sit in a corner and blast the Smelter Demon as he lays into Lucatiel and still killing him before he kills her just seems unfair. The Darklurker made me so unbelievably frustrated in NG trying to melee him. I came back in NG+ and killed him in about 4 seconds with Flame Swathe and Forbidden Sun.

#29 Edited by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

@benspyda said:

It's pretty cool how they add completely new monsters and events NG+. The spider coming up and attacking you earlier in the level is badass. My Str/Faith build is getting destroyed by the Lost Sinner fight in NG+ thanks to the 2 pyromancers. 3 on 1 and fat rolling is not a good combo, I think I may have to shed some of my havel's armor.

Don't feel ashamed for calling in a little help with that one. Lost Sinner on her own can be difficult to manage (least from my experience) even without a pair of pyromancers breathing fire down your neck. Fighting that boss battle on your own in NG+ seems like the very definition of frustration. It's weird how that's the only Lord boss that was given any alterations, too. Iron King in particular is still just as easy as ever.

@theblue said:

The Darklurker made me so unbelievably frustrated in NG trying to melee him. I came back in NG+ and killed him in about 4 seconds with Flame Swathe and Forbidden Sun.

Man, really? You echoes my sentiments to fighting darklurker as a pure melee character--well, I had a bow too least--and in fact I was never able to beat it even! So now hearing how comparatively easy it with magic... well, shit. NG+ seems especially kind to magic users anyway, as I've mentioned in another thread. With so many insanely powerful spells now at your fingertips by that point, the divide between magic and melee just by damage alone is staggering.

#30 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1879 posts) -

im just trying to motor my way through my initial play through of the game now before the real game comes out on April 25th.

#31 Posted by Rolkien (114 posts) -

I finished NG+ like 3 days ago. I really enjoyed that they changed a lot of things up in NG+. The addition of black phantoms is amazing, and it makes it very difficult. The Lost Sinner was literally satan, so I used a soul vessel to change my build to a Str/Dex character. I played through it and now I'm taking a break, might even start NG++ to see if anything else has changed. I honestly would recommend playing NG+, it's a fun experience and a lot of people love that shit. I killed a couple of NPCs in my NG+ run and I got invaded by at least a good 10+ blue arbiters. That was a ton of fun.

#32 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1717 posts) -

the real game comes out on April 25th.

The real game that's going to need a dsfix.exe from modders?

I'm going to beat the optional Ancient Dragon before going into NG+.

#33 Posted by Zevvion (2699 posts) -

I haven't yet. I'm going to do a third build, after that I'll probably try NG+. I didn't care for it at all in the original. It was too easy. But I heard it is really good in this game. Also, Blue Sentinels are apparently a thing in NG+, which I still want to do.

#34 Posted by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

@shadowskill11 said:

the real game comes out on April 25th.

The real game that's going to need a dsfix.exe from modders?

I'm going to beat the optional Ancient Dragon before going into NG+.

PRO tip: Take all dem clothes off! Gonna need the fastest stamina regeneration as possible to be able to avoid that fucker's overhead fire breath attack, and every attack of his is likely to kill you in one hit anywhoo...

#35 Posted by Yummylee (23180 posts) -

@zevvion said:

I haven't yet. I'm going to do a third build, after that I'll probably try NG+. I didn't care for it at all in the original. It was too easy. But I heard it is really good in this game. Also, Blue Sentinels are apparently a thing in NG+, which I still want to do.

Yes, NG+ is the place to be for Blue Sentinels... I would know from experience with the amount of Arbiter spirits I've been invaded by with my first character >_> Annoyingly enough I only invaded people to begin with because the Blue Sentinels covenant is broken on the normal playthrough... I've erased all of my sin as well, yet I still keep getting invaded for some reason.

#36 Edited by Karkarov (3556 posts) -

@evilsbane: The lever frees him from his imprisonment so you could have still seen him. You must have just missed him. Also he will only talk to you if you are human.

Actually no. It depends on what you were when you free him / if you talk to him before you free him. Either way once freed he will talk to you normally when human, but if you talked to him before freeing him as hollow he has some changes....

#37 Edited by Nux (2515 posts) -

I will soon. I beat the game last week and am really looking forward to doing a NG+ run. I am going to wait a bit before I start that run because there are a few games out right now that I really want to play.

#38 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6757 posts) -

I'm getting every item in the game on my main guy; have done some NG+ on my first character and done fine I just wanted to consolidate that stuff to a single character. Also NG runs with a different weapon/different goal (no lighting bonfires/no deaths) have proven to be incredibly interesting.

#39 Posted by Evilsbane (4979 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@rudeboy217 said:

Actually no. It depends on what you were when you free him / if you talk to him before you free him. Either way once freed he will talk to you normally when human, but if you talked to him before freeing him as hollow he has some changes....

Interesting Can I go back and find him or since i've killed him in Phantom forms is he gone forever?

#40 Edited by YI_Orange (1208 posts) -

Just started NG+ as a str/dex character wielding a Curved Dragon Greatsword +5. I ran through The Last Giant, The Pursuer, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer, and the Ruin Sentinels. Strolled through No Man's Wharf and got reminded why Flexile sentry on NG+ is a pain in the ass, taking a break. I've gotten much more confident in my rolling and sneaking in extra hits though so I expect he might be the only one to give me trouble.

As for the Sinner, I asceticed that bonfire for the Lucatiel quest(I hope that stuff carries over to NG+ since she had disappeared on my first playthrough) and there were no pyromancers. Is it those 2 guys right outside her door that you can kill?

Also, I found Darklurker to be quite easy as a melee character. He was daunting at first, but once I saw what he had to offer he was easy. I made myself light and two-handed my sword. All of his attacks are very easy to dodge and he seemed to run away after being hit twice pretty reliably. Things could get a little rough when he split if they used a bad combination of spells, but more often than not I could get a hit or two in on one of them safely.

#41 Edited by Sterling (3017 posts) -

I just started NG+ with my second character. I stopped immediately after doing so with the first. But will run this one through until NG+++. I never traded a single soul for a boss weapon with this character, as its a pure magic/hexer/pyro build. I have 30 dragon bone things that level up boss weapons. Now I need to decided what one would be good to get. I only have 12 STR and 16 DEX. I know I will have to level them up a little. But I need to find one with low requirements that I might like to buy and fully level up.

#42 Edited by Karkarov (3556 posts) -

@evilsbane said:

Interesting Can I go back and find him or since i've killed him in Phantom forms is he gone forever?

He is still there.... well unless you killed him the other way too. Just go down the passage on the opposite side of the room from the switch. I will reiterate though that it depends on what form you are in when you talk to him so try both body and hollow form.

#43 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1780 posts) -

@evilsbane: He definitely should still be under the staircase. I was still able to buy off him when in human form even after murdering him like five times. The only thing that was voided was the sidequest.

#44 Posted by LawGamer (390 posts) -

Probably not. For whatever reason it didn't grab me in the same way as DSI. It just didn't feel like a fully realized world to me. The world design was less intricate, with areas that didn't flow together as naturally as they did in DSI. Also, I really didn't like the lore in this one. In DSI, a lot of the backstory was buried, but was still intelligible and consistent if you wanted to look for it. In DSII, it just felt obscure for the sake of being obscure.

Don't get me wrong, I still thought it was a pretty good game, but I definitely had the feeling of "been there, done that," after I completed it.

#45 Edited by ShadowSkill11 (1879 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw: Dsfix isn't an exe file and you must not have been tracking the game very well to still have such outdated ideas about the DS2 pc version that have been debunked nearly a year ago by the developers. Poor console only peasant.

#46 Edited by handlas (2868 posts) -

I basically did the exact opposite of what I said I was going to do and hopped into NG+. Man, it's a real bitch.

I've gotten to the Wharf place and the boss now has additional enemies with him that deal bleeding damage (mind you, this boss takes place in a small square room). I think I'm just gonna give up right there. Adding enemies to tag along with bosses (that were alone prior) is about the most annoying thing they could possibly have done. Crowd control is my least favorite thing to do in Dark Souls :(.

I give in.

#47 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1717 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw: Dsfix isn't an exe file and you must not have been tracking the game very well to still have such outdated ideas about the DS2 pc version that have been debunked nearly a year ago by the developers. Poor console only peasant.

I'll pretend I didn't read your last sentence. There is 0 footage shown of the PC version, how can you conclude the PC version is "the real game"?

#48 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5136 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw said:

@shadowskill11 said:

I'll pretend I didn't read your last sentence. There is 0 footage shown of the PC version, how can you conclude the PC version is "the real game"?

It's not the real game. That's the thing.

People like that... whatever you're quoting want to believe that Dark Souls 2 will magically look amazing on their hardware when in reality FromSoft have downgraded the graphics and lighting across the board. The reason for this, according to them, is that they couldn't get those level of visuals to work with a decent framerate. Souls community leaders like A German Spy (who worked on the guide along with EpicNameBro) have said the game before the downgrade was more "seconds per frame" than "frames per second". It was necessary, and From isn't going to go through all the work to put that shit back in just for the niche of their already niche audience.

For some reason PC gamers forget that FromSoft is a console developer who has virtually zero experience with the PC platform. Add to that the last time they released a game on PC they were crucified by the people who petitioned for it. My guess is the game will come out and will look visually the same as the console version (probably with 60fps instead of 40fps, and almost no screen tearing) and they will still complain and say FromSoft are worse than Hitler.

Kinda hoping for that, actually, because I want to see a developer say "fuck you" to these entitled shitlords someday.

#49 Posted by McShank (1644 posts) -

i will NG+ the game till it stops added the + to the NG... i beat demon's souls and dark souls till I had to go to walmart and ""Trade"" my old ps3 controller for a new one. ;D

So far, Souls games have resulted in me trading 2 controllers at my locale wally worlds and I may have to do it a third time as my black controller is starting to feel loose and my blue one is well.. its waiting for my other 20 games to enter the fray that I have neglected.

#50 Posted by OleMarthin (328 posts) -

I'm almost done with NG++ but not sure i want to spend more time playing dark souls 2 right now, finishing it 3 times ( almost 4) now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.