Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

What happened to spell aiming?

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm sure I saw some preview videos during the beta that showed off spellcasters being able to aim their spells like an archer would a bow. It even had an aiming reticule.

I specifically chose to play a magic user to try this out, but there seems to be no way to actually aim a spell.

Now I'm hearing that players use the binoculars to line up their shot (no reticule), instead of it being an actual part of the spellcasting moveset.

Was this feature removed from the final game?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heard the same thing about the ability to charge spells being removed. I guess they figured magic is too powerful? I tried to see if there was an aiming toggle but no luck either.

Thorize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think you need to use your catalyst with two hands to aim spells and then you activate it aim-mode like a bow.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. Can someone confirm dual handing allows free aiming? I won't be able to try until tomorrow.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By probablytuna
    @thorize said:

I think you need to use your catalyst with two hands to aim spells and then you activate it aim-mode like a bow.

Not true, I tried it and it just raises the staff as if he was blocking. Tried clicking in L3 since that's the only button that's unassigned for anything but nope.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ENB just put up a video where he mentions that by putting binoculars in the shield slot, you can use it aim spells.

Since he worked on the players guide, I imagine he wouldn't have mentioned it as THE way, if there was another way.

That's a shame. Although I'm finding the targeting range of spells have greatly improved, and it's a lot faster to cast, especially with high attunement. So the sorcerer is quite fun now. It just would have been even better if it could aim easily.

Thorize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@probablytuna said:

@thorize said:

Not true, I tried it and it just raises the staff as if he was blocking. Tried clicking in L3 since that's the only button that's unassigned for anything but nope.

Well that's a shame, think I heard that it would work that way when people where playing the beta. Will get my copy of the game tomorrow but I will probably not start as a sorcerer knowing that the cool changes to magic didn't make it into the final game.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorize said:

@probablytuna said:

@thorize said:

Well that's a shame, think I heard that it would work that way when people where playing the beta. Will get my copy of the game tomorrow but I will probably not start as a sorcerer knowing that the cool changes to magic didn't make it into the final game.

Some people have mentioned on another thread that From likely took the mechanic out between the beta and final release. Since it's my first time playing a sorcerer for real, I'm liking it so far. The supposedly new (now removed) features like aiming/charging spells don't bother me too much and besides, at least they didn't remove every change to the magic system (like the stat that lowers casting time).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I believe Sorc will eventually be the most powerful class but it isn't right off the bat anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.