What kind of build are you gonna go for?

#151 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@groin: 42 hp is enough to make the difference between 1 shot and 2 shot on several bosses/enemies; more endurance increases the number of swings you can take and the number of rolls you can perform/amount of damage you can block; in general it's around a 20-25% increase in survivability. This becomes most obvious with Stray Demon, but there's a lot of other situations where it does quite a lot. There's actually quite a few enemies that will one shot a sorc but won't one shot a pyro; even more depending on the gear you're using. If you're using Ring of Favor the survivability is increased another 3-4% Even a 1% increase is significant in a tightly tuned game. Apart from MMOs this is quite apparent in most action games as well. For example: the weapons in NGS2 are all fairly comparable but using the ideal weapon in the best fashion will substantially increase your killing power and efficiency.

I mean, no one would ever use Ring of Favor (you know, the most popular ring in the game) on any character if 40-80 hp wasn't significant, no need to upgrade your gear incrementally at all either right, it's just a slight increase. I don't want to do more damage/take less damage, I am above RPG elements. /sarcasm

#152 Posted by ZolRoyce (668 posts) -

Thus far with the Souls games I usually just start playing the game and see what happens, wherever they take me I go, my Demons guy was a medium armor with the fastest sword I could find and an inventory full of poison arrows.

My Dark gal was a brute, got Havels armor and that dragon tooth weapon and never looked back, just smash everything into the dirt with a strong crossbow for back up.

But the constant that always stays the same is max out my health and endurance pronto, I want to take as many hits as possible before succumbing to defeat.

#153 Posted by shinjin977 (755 posts) -

Really curious about duel-wield if only to make the game more challenging.

#154 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@zolroyce: That's definitely the best way to approach it for the first character, just depends how many gear-check type boss fights there are for NG+ and so forth (IGN interview implies maybe not, but we'll see).

Ornstein and Smough (on NG+) are just murdering hosts left and right today; I mean it's kind of amusing but I want those 90k souls :( 20 BPs have killed the host maybe once or twice and the bosses have killed them 15 times

#155 Edited by groin (846 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

@groin: 42 hp is enough to make the difference between 1 shot and 2 shot on several bosses/enemies; more endurance increases the number of swings you can take and the number of rolls you can perform/amount of damage you can block; in general it's around a 20-25% increase in survivability. This becomes most obvious with Stray Demon, but there's a lot of other situations where it does quite a lot. There's actually quite a few enemies that will one shot a sorc but won't one shot a pyro; even more depending on the gear you're using. If you're using Ring of Favor the survivability is increased another 3-4% Even a 1% increase is significant in a tightly tuned game. Apart from MMOs this is quite apparent in most action games as well. The weapons in NGS2 are all fairly comparable but using the ideal weapon in the best fashion will substantially increase your killing power and efficiency.

I mean, no one would ever use Ring of Favor (you know, the most popular ring in the game) on any character if 40-80 hp wasn't significant, no need to upgrade your gear incrementally at all either right, it's just a slight increase. I don't want to do more damage/take less damage, I am above RPG elements. /sarcasm

You're adorable fredchuckdave. I love reading your hand wavy walls of text. What you failed to realize is that a level 1 pyro with the FaP ring and battle axe equipped can swing 3 times and roll 4 times before exhausting the stamina. Would you like to guess what a level 3 sorcerer equipped with a battle axe and without the FaP ring can do? If you read my snark correctly then you'd know that it is also 3 swings and 4 rolls. All of this is with 2 handed attacks too.

P.S. You allow Stray Demon to damage you? :)

#156 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@groin: The amount of people that can beat the entire game without taking a hit is like a couple hundred maybe, the amount of people that can beat the game with an SL1 character is like several tens of thousands; thus any increase in vitality is useful. Blocking is useful with a low level character as well and pretty any much degree of additional stamina feeds into that. Not everyone is going to use a battle axe, you can beat the game at a low SL with about 50 different weapons (well technically any weapon in the game), including whips; would you like to list every single attack pattern and stamina combination in the game and continue your argument? Don't be a pedant, it just makes you look like an imbecile.

I've beaten the Stray Demon about 40-50 times without taking a hit, that doesn't mean I never ever took a hit from him and it doesn't mean I won't take a hit from him in the future; this is an extremely simple reasoning process.

#157 Edited by development (2252 posts) -

A nice explorer man with a tiny head, as I said on page 1.

#158 Edited by Twazuk (178 posts) -

This is not the wrestling thread.

#159 Posted by Ezekiel (413 posts) -

A nice explorer man with a tiny head, as I said on page 1.

They all have tiny heads. Seriously.

#160 Posted by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

Given what I've learned about the game and the re-spec options, it seems that it won't be the be all end all. If my Havel wannabe fat roller doesn't work out, I'll just do him over to speedy gonzales mode.

#161 Posted by Carlos1408 (1500 posts) -

Probably going to be a strength/faith build, so I'll probably start with the Temple Knight. I always go for that when I first play a souls game, I just love miracles and being heavy at the beginning. However, I am tempted to make a dex/faith build as they were pretty cool in the last one, and with the addition of agility it is all the more tempting.

One thing I do know though is that my second playthrough will involve an int. build. Maybe a dual-wielding one. I'll probably make as many different builds as I can, then I'll have a plethora of classes for PvP.

#162 Posted by DarkFury (369 posts) -

I'm gonna get into this one, I think. I missed Demon's entirely, and only dipped my toe into Dark Souls. I think what interests me most is 'getting in on the ground floor' around launch, discovering things with everyone else. I had that experience with FEZ and it elevated the quality of my playtime exponentially.

#163 Edited by Stimpack (850 posts) -

Deprived going full tank for the first run. Subsequent runs will explore other builds. I've thought about using the item that makes enemies tougher for my first run, but I think I'll hold off on that until my second run so I know more about what I'm getting into.

#164 Posted by Sterling (2164 posts) -
#165 Posted by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

I don't know, I don't know what's changed. But a focus on dealing with invaders is probably it. Just going to try to find the right mix of magic and melee. I pretty much avoided that part of it in Dark Souls in favor of the seemingly more wildly used launching swears repeatedly at the screen. Demon's Souls I had my build down with Invaders because it encouraged you to be human, I'm actually happy to get back to that.

#166 Posted by MormonWarrior (2577 posts) -

If the difference in builds and game balance between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are any indication, the character build I end up going with will be completely different from the past games. Demon's was way easier to deal with when using a strong magic build, but in Dark Souls I used a heavy melee/pyromancer as my main dude. I imagine things will be mixed up and it'll take me a while to find what I really like. I didn't like any of the pre-built setups in the network test for PS3.

@arbitrarywater: DLC is the best overall section out of either game, even Demon's Souls nostalgia freaks (as someone who played Demon's Souls before Dark Souls ever came out mind) like it so that means it must be the most amazing thing ever. It's like as good as Demon's Souls was in their fractured minds; that's completely impossible! In short, it is utterly amazing.

I thought the DLC was kind of boring and underwhelming. It had a couple of harrowing boss battles but really dumb connective tissue and little in the way of cool new equipment. There's a lot of areas in Dark Souls that I liked a more than the Artorias content.

#167 Posted by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

@sterling said:

@dudeglove: re-spec options? huh?

Oroboro AKA Brandon505 mentioned in a stream that there will be the ability to respec your stats (although it's likely there's some sort of penalty involved).

#168 Posted by Reisz (1483 posts) -

Depending on how much fun/ease I have with my current preparatory Deprived run, I might go in for the "challenge" class right off the bat. Planning my stat allocation ahead of a playthrough takes some of the fun out of it for me. Can't fucking wait though.

#169 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I'm so fucking pumped, you have no idea. I'm really just excited to see what seems to be the best way to play as I go through the game. I'm excited to try to figure out the most effective way to tackle certain areas and if they've changed the way you build characters dramatically or not. I have not been this excited for a game in a long long while.

#170 Edited by namco51 (112 posts) -

Fuck if I know.

I'm with this guy. I'm now on media blackout--I don't even know if there will be friggin' swords in the game let alone what build I'm going to be. But in Dark Souls I'm all Havel'd out. Tank through and through.

#171 Edited by Sterling (2164 posts) -

I bet I sit at the character creation screen for over an hour. Thinking about dumb shit. Fuck. That is going to be the most brutal part.

#172 Posted by bawalo (63 posts) -

I'm thinking of going with the paladin-type dude. Strenght melee plus some buffs sounds pretty exciting.
I honestly cannot express how excited I am for this game.

#173 Posted by Eaxis (913 posts) -

I first began as a pyromancer in Dark Souls and I'm not sure if it's the same in DS2. By my ng+3 playtrough i'm rocking a shield and staff in my left hand, pyromancy and scythe in my right and and just plowing through. I'm not much for making a new character, but for DS2 i'm exited to see what new stuff and weapons I will find. I'll see how viable it is to be a sort of jack of all trades.

#174 Posted by Hassun (1069 posts) -

Build? Planned builds are for guide users and secondary/tertiary/etc. playthroughs.

Going in blind and just doing whatever the fuck it is. Trying things, figuring out the systems, learning through failure, that's the way to do it.

Sadly this will no longer be all that bad either since you can respec now...

#175 Edited by fisk0 (4033 posts) -

I'll probably try ranged or magic as usual, since that's generally what I prefer in games. I did like the spear in Demon's Souls though, so I won't rule out giving that another try in Dark Souls II.

#176 Posted by Rolkien (57 posts) -

My personal favorite build. "Big Ass Sword With Some Dex". I have a big ass sword and I can use a bow. But I think I'll probably be even on dex and str.

#177 Posted by Waaagh56 (13 posts) -

Saw they have a way to conjure weapons though sorcery might need to give that a shot.

#178 Edited by benspyda (2033 posts) -

If there's another katana with the same bleed effect in Dark Souls II I may be compelled to do that again, as that was my favorite Dark Souls build.

#179 Posted by Sterling (2164 posts) -

@benspyda: The Uchigatana has been in the last two games. I am pretty sure it will be in this one. It is also one of my favorite weapons. Its so fast and does so much damage.

#180 Posted by HanktheAwesome08 (35 posts) -

Generally speaking, I like to go for a Faith build with Heavy Armor, a Shield, and a Claymorish type weapon that spends most of the time being two-handed.

I'm hesitant to do that, though, because when I tired to do that last time on my first play through, I ended up only taking advantage of the Holy weapon upgrades because I never found Rhea after she became a merchant, and she sells Wrath of the Gods. And then Solaire's merchant spot is when he's behind that freakin' Red Dragon, which, at the time, was hard to get by unless you "cheated" with the arrows from the top of the tower thing. So my miracles were just healing spells and homeward for most of the game. And that kinda sucked.

So I'm thinking that without knowing the locations of the merchants the first time around (Because even Logan's whole chain could be entirely missed if you didn't unlock his cage), I'd rather just do a standard Knight build, which is just the Faith build minus Faith plus more STR or probably ADAPT. And THEN I'll do Faith. Then Dual-wielder. Then magic.

#181 Posted by JohnTunoku (115 posts) -

Gonna 2 hand it and throw on as much armor as the game will allow me to.

#183 Edited by LiquidPrince (15912 posts) -

Strength, Vitality, Endurance.

#184 Posted by DantronLesotho (46 posts) -

I did a STR melee+pyromancy build the last time and had the most fun doing that. I'll probably do something similar unless they introduce a new mechanic that tickles my fancy.

#185 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5432 posts) -

I finally decided to just hold off for a Pc release no matter how long after the initial release it is. My desire to not drag my last gen consoles out of the closet far outweighs my desire to play Dark Souls 2 right now.

It'll be rather hard to not get stuff spoiled for that period of time though.

#186 Edited by Sbaitso (532 posts) -

Light armor, massive weapon is how I like to play. quick rolls, heavy hits

#187 Edited by Jamin724 (187 posts) -

I usually go as glass cannon with either magic or faith but I may try a heavy build this time. I usually love the fast rolls but with rolls not having invulnerable frames heavy armor maybe the way to go. Only thing is I like DEX weapons a lot more then STR.

#188 Posted by HatKing (5891 posts) -

I've recently taken to the school of thought that, if you don't like the way your character looks and acts, then the lesser enjoyment you're getting negates the benefit you get from whatever superior build you've made. With that in mind, I think I'm just going to roll with whatever I think looks best. I want to approach this game very casually, but carefully. I'm not going in expecting to see every detail, but I do want to enjoy my time with it.

Been getting interested in Norse mythology again, so maybe some viking type of character. Or Nordic-esque barbarian.

#189 Posted by Pilgrimm1981 (44 posts) -

Finished both Demon's and Dark Souls with a faith/vit build first so I imagine I'll go that route again. That way I can safely explore without dying constantly. Later on, when I know the game, I'll switch to more pvp oriented builds, like my dex/heavy vit build with great scythe, bit of pyomancy and ninja flips in Dark Souls.

#190 Posted by KillerFly (396 posts) -

Just finished Dark Souls with a pretty safe Pyromancer Strength/Endurance build with an axe and shield. I was thinking for Dark Souls 2 trying to Wanderer class and putting a lot of points in Dexterity and Agility.

#191 Posted by Calmgamer (113 posts) -

First playthrough strength/endurance/vitality slow and steady - probably focus on halberd style weapons - my preferred PVE gear. First time through is gonna be all about exploration and survivability for me.

I always prefer a "quality" (dex + str) build for my main - so I'll build my new game+ and pvp focused 2nd character with that in mind + plus whatever I need for weapon buffs (either faith or int - not sure).

For PVE my suggestion is to play whatever you enjoy - first time through especially. Start fine tuning on later characters.

Last suggestion - if you are a Dex player - check out Epic Name Bro's "Easy Mode" build on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bBKtlY1LH4 Buffed dex build that makes ng+ quite manageable. Basically a power within/crystal magic weapon on a awesome dex weapon (balder side sword/ katana/ etc). Just built this one for practice run to clean off the rust in preparation for DS2. Easiest run I have ever had.

#192 Posted by AbsolutelyAlmost (30 posts) -

Gonna try out the dual wielding nonsense + high mobility.

#193 Posted by datarez (549 posts) -

Watching Brad roll through Demon Souls with his mage makes me think I want to try casting which I didn't in Dark Souls. In Dark Souls I tried to be a Hunter but didn't do very well, I felt I was missing the power when I had to get in close. So I'm either going regular warrior, the new dual wield or a little casting with the warrior (not sure how to build that out).

#194 Posted by DFL017 (126 posts) -

@darkfury: Agree with you completely. Very few games have the sense of discovery in the community like these games .

#195 Edited by Cusseta (109 posts) -

@strangestories: You beat me to it. I was gonna say PvE magic builds were actually OVERpowered. Practically put Dark Souls on Easy Mode.

#196 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1117 posts) -

Going magic/pyromancy build with some dex, just to wield katanas. I only want burn creatures and cut them in half.

#197 Edited by Neonie (438 posts) -

I see a lot of people going to Str and tank type builds. I always play a glass canon. A mix of armor I find aesthetically pleasing, high to mid-tier maneuverability, dex (because that is what the Lifeblood Scythe requires). Dodge, attack, dodge attack.

#200 Posted by Godmil (146 posts) -

As much as I like the idea of mixing it up with magic... I know I'll end up going all strength with a massive shield and ridiculously heavy sword.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.