What mindset is required to enjoy Dark souls 2? Retrospective evolution of a dark souls player

Posted by announakis (121 posts) -

I recently stumbled across this thread in the DS2 forum: "Dark Souls 2 new features announced" and was amazed by the heat of the discussion about invasions and the ethics of gameplay in the game.

It made me realize how much players are misguided regarding what they should expect from a “souls” game and how they should approach it. Apparently a lot of people are still failing to adapt their perception of the game even after many years of existence. I hope reading this will help them change their perspective and help them relax and appreciate all aspects of the souls games including PvP.

To tackle the problem, I remembered the different phases I went through and what motivated the transitions to the next phase.

INVASIO-PHOBIA

When I started playing DaS about 2 months after its launch, I was new to the series. I did not know what to expect and was not really enthusiastic at all about this game....there was nothing else interesting me at the time. I was hooked in about 10 mins... because of the physics of the game, the precision of the controls and the gloomy atmosphere...I played the shit out of this game in PvE for long hours and I sucked...I knew nothing, was struggling to make any sense of the mechanics of the stats etc....but what I dreaded above all was being INVADED....oh boy, the scarce few times I was invaded, my heart was pumping furiously in my chest, my palms were sweaty and I could not think straight...because I was AFRAID...what other games make you genuinely afraid ? None that I know except DaS...

For this reason, I hated being invaded, I avoided at all cost being human except when I was stuck at a boss that I could not out match alone (most of them back then but Ornstein and Smough above all else). Only the hope of finding good players helping me to overcome the obstacle allowed me to find the courage to expose my sorry ass to a potential invasion...I was then wiggling nervously on my couch while waiting for my summons to appear, hoping they would arrive before the dreaded red invader...ah, good times. Now obviously I am the invader or I summon them or actively open the doors of my world to invasion like most of you who read me now because we are all veterans of this game. But back then, fear was keeping me away from the human form.

OVERCOMING FEAR BUT STILL LACKING SKILL

With time, I learned the ropes and gained confidence...fear was slowly replaced but excitation when I was invaded because I knew there was a chance for me to win the fight...initially, I was the plain victim. Now I was a competitor. But in fact, I still had my ass kicked most of the time...and this is the very moment when I developed my “in game fair play value system”:

When I lost, it was to people backstabbing me, using magic (ah Homing souls mass) and the very much dreaded Wrath of gods, katanas topped up with some insane weapon buffs, backstabbing me while I was bowing...everything I was never doing because of either morality code I still stand or because I had no clue about the strength of weapon buffing for a long while because I thought (and I still do) that magic looked so fucking retarded that I did not want to use it. This got me extremely angry most of the time because it was soooooo cheap being one-shot by the bandit knife buffed with darkmoon blade with the hornet ring…pfff. Don’t get me wrong: I still think it is cheap but I do not get angry about it anymore. Why? Because I tried it.

Even though I found magic ridiculous, I knew it was overpowered…And I realized how right I was about that…don’t get me wrong: magic still sucks balls but it dishes some serious damage out. And so I tried to inflict on others what I was enduring all this time with a happy grin on my face thinking “there you go sucker, you shall know fear and defeat too”.

But it did not happen….sure I got away with some cheap victories mostly against other “noobs” but all together, I still got my ass whipped badly by people not even using magic most of the time…What? How do they do that? Rolling out of my wrath of mother fucking god? How on earth do they manage that? Freaking lags were obviously to blame, not my ignorance…right?

EMBRACING DIFFICULTY TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY PROPERLY

That is when I decided to take the game seriously ^_^

I started a low soul level run in the initial intention to see how long I could go at low level…I managed to beat the four kings at level 4 the first time. Then I finished the game at level 1, including the DLC. This taught me a few things:

- Gear is so much more important than level

- Skill is paramount: at low level, you cannot suck up damage but still out damaging the boss.

Strong from those observations, I decided to go in the burg and see if I could be like all these assholes who grieved me as soon as I was human over there. And guess what: yes of course I killed the targets easily…not even breaking a sweat in 90% of the cases. But in 10% of the cases, I still got beaten…because my opponent was a good player…a calm and patient adversary aware of what I had up my sleeves, waiting for me to rush to attack to punish me. Notwithstanding that one shooting targets was fucking boring, I decided to take advantage of my low level to learn rather than to win. I decided to replace all my super upgraded gear by simple entry non upgraded gear, both armor and weapons and to invade like crazy the burg. At this point, I was always dropping some large and green titanite shards to my “targets” before a fight because I could and thought it was elegant ^_^. And those fights at level 4 remain to date the best by a long league I ever had in the game. I faced noobs as well as trained players…nobody had access to cheap tricks (read spells here), the fight were never ended in a backstab by a buffed weapon. I discovered the depth of the fighting system, the distance, the rhythm, the faints because my opponents were forced into playing “fair” like me.

ACCEPTING DEFEAT IS REQUIRED TO LEARN FROM IT

As Fedora tells to young Indiana Jones: “You lost today, kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.”

Today I play dark souls peacefully because I play with my eyes open: when I am beaten, there is a reason. I want to understand it and this attitude makes me a better player every match. Before, I was angry at the slightest thing that I could not do or that I refused to use: someone using magic beating was like cheating, someone spamming great combustion was lame…today I know how to defeat these techniques because I accepted that they are being used and only from there did I learn how to circumvent them.

Dark souls is like a scientific meeting: your peers will destroy you as soon as they can. But by doing that, they will make you better; they will give you the answers to your questions as long as you are disposed to accept the answer.

WHY DO I LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING DARK SOULS II?

There is nowhere to hide anymore…no more “I am in soul form so I am safe” means you will be forced form the start to fight for survival. This means you will not have the luxury to be afraid of other players because you are unexperienced. You will have to face invaders all the time.

And if you read me properly, this is a great gift that From Software is making to the community. If you understood the mind set that you should adopt while playing the souls game, you now see that this will force people to learn early from each other and hone their skills permanently.

The way of the blue, despite its pretty lame name, seems like my sort of sport:

Unlike many other players, I still play by the rules of my real me moral system: I do not enjoy trashing players, grieving etc…but I understand that others do. The satisfaction of trashing “noobs” will now be matched by the satisfaction of defending them…assuming that From Software creates enough incentive to do so, the split between experienced players should not be only towards the red invaders, but equally distributed between invaders (reds) and defenders (blues).

I cannot wait to see all the news techniques and tricks that other players will use on me that I never even considered. I will no doubt die a lot, hopefully a lot more than in the prequel…and that is fine…because in the Souls games, what kills you makes you stronger!

#1 Posted by chainreaction01 (183 posts) -

The issue I have with the "defeat makes you stronger" mentality is that in Dark Souls you're not just facing one challenge. Yea, you get better at PvP the more you PvP, but there is also the whole other half to the game that I'm trying to get better at too. Take a second to remember the two assholes in Anor Londo that shot big ass arrows at you on that narrow as bridge. Now imagine having to deal with that when every other run some asshole invades your game. If I stop what I'm doing to go fight him, then I'm wasting time with an aspect of the game I don't enjoy and probably dieing even more when I could be trying to learn how to beat these guys. If I keep at it and ignore him one of two things will happen. First is that he'll just come up behind me and now I have to arrow fuckers and a red asshole killing me. The second is that I, by some miracle of god, beat the arrow fuckers but buddy decides to rain on my parade and kick my ass back to the last bonfire. That's not fun.

Now keep in mind that rant is coming from someone who plays IWBTG type games to relax. The difference is that putting people into the equation introduces a random element, and for me that randomness is not fun. Now that arrow scenario is one isolated case but if marketing is to be believed the goal is to make Dark Souls 2 even harder so I can almost guarantee there are going to be moments that drive you up the wall to that degree where adding an invader will be the last straw that makes you put the game down. I suppose ultimately the issue is that, to me, Dark/Demon's Souls was never a multiplayer game. I never summoned guys, never invaded, and stayed hollow for as much as possible. I enjoyed that PvE challenge. The only reason I was even online was to see messages and bloodstains. Now I know that to a lot of people that multiplayer component was key to their enjoyment of the game, and that's fine! The issue I have is that my ability to have that single player-like experience is being taken away. This one change has made Dark Souls 2 an entirely different game from its predecessors (to me), a game that I'm not sure I'll like.

But hell, maybe I'm wrong and judging a game that isn't out for 6th months isn't really worth it. Perhaps there is some covenant they still haven't talked about that turns off summoning/invasions. Maybe From has some genius formula that is able to determine your willingness to be fucked with by people and not go out and punch a kitten.

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (9480 posts) -

I always appreciate in-depth discussion of Dark Souls like this. It reminds me of serious discussion about going through difficult times in life. When things are just messy or challenging, and you have to accept your failures to learn and have any hope of doing better in the future. Hard-fought lessons. I hope many people who play and understand this series will see how some of its training on accepting pain and loss while maintaining diligence is so helpful in one's life.

#3 Posted by golguin (4054 posts) -

The issue I have with the "defeat makes you stronger" mentality is that in Dark Souls you're not just facing one challenge. Yea, you get better at PvP the more you PvP, but there is also the whole other half to the game that I'm trying to get better at too. Take a second to remember the two assholes in Anor Londo that shot big ass arrows at you on that narrow as bridge. Now imagine having to deal with that when every other run some asshole invades your game. If I stop what I'm doing to go fight him, then I'm wasting time with an aspect of the game I don't enjoy and probably dieing even more when I could be trying to learn how to beat these guys. If I keep at it and ignore him one of two things will happen. First is that he'll just come up behind me and now I have to arrow fuckers and a red asshole killing me. The second is that I, by some miracle of god, beat the arrow fuckers but buddy decides to rain on my parade and kick my ass back to the last bonfire. That's not fun.

Now keep in mind that rant is coming from someone who plays IWBTG type games to relax. The difference is that putting people into the equation introduces a random element, and for me that randomness is not fun. Now that arrow scenario is one isolated case but if marketing is to be believed the goal is to make Dark Souls 2 even harder so I can almost guarantee there are going to be moments that drive you up the wall to that degree where adding an invader will be the last straw that makes you put the game down. I suppose ultimately the issue is that, to me, Dark/Demon's Souls was never a multiplayer game. I never summoned guys, never invaded, and stayed hollow for as much as possible. I enjoyed that PvE challenge. The only reason I was even online was to see messages and bloodstains. Now I know that to a lot of people that multiplayer component was key to their enjoyment of the game, and that's fine! The issue I have is that my ability to have that single player-like experience is being taken away. This one change has made Dark Souls 2 an entirely different game from its predecessors (to me), a game that I'm not sure I'll like.

But hell, maybe I'm wrong and judging a game that isn't out for 6th months isn't really worth it. Perhaps there is some covenant they still haven't talked about that turns off summoning/invasions. Maybe From has some genius formula that is able to determine your willingness to be fucked with by people and not go out and punch a kitten.

I think the two archers in Anor Londo is a perfect example of how fear and inexperience pummeled the vast majority of people when they first encountered that situation. The constant rain of arrows and the tiny walkway made people think that they should proceed with caution and keep their shield up. The result was usually getting pushed off the bridge by the impact of the arrows. Another strategy was to just send two summoned phantoms to the right archer and just hope that they'd manage to kill him so you could proceed safely.

Who could have known at that time that the best way to get past that part was to simply run up the walkway, dodge roll under the first arrow, and simply smack the silver knight until he died. People watching Rorie stream that part saw it all in action. He wasn't sure how to get past the archers and died several times. The chat told him to just roll under the arrow and parry the silver knight. He did it and got past them without any issue after that advice.

Everyone always starts off scared and cautious because you simply don't know how to counter what the environment, enemies, and bosses have in store for you. Everyone is going to start on an even playing field when Dark Souls 2 comes out. People got used to what Dark Souls dished out. They'll get used to the constant threat of possible invasions and learn how to deal with it. How else are they going to learn when they eventually reach the Mirror Knight boss and he summons real people to kill the player? I feel Dark Souls 2 isn't going to have another situation like Smough and Ornstein where people weren't prepared for 1v2 PVP because they were never forced to learn how to fight two capable opponents at once.

#4 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

That's fine that the PvP is a draw for you and you gained enjoyment out of the fear of being invaded.

But do not make the mistake of believing that everyone should adhere to the same thinking. Calling other people misguided for thinking differently and enjoying different aspects of a game comes off as arrogant. The same goes for what mindset people should or should not adopt. Poppycock.

The issue here is that the original systems in Souls games catered to both types of people. Those like you and those that did not ever like or want to participate in that one aspect of the games. If the changes as outlined do indeed force PvP on people at any time (which i am still not certain of, we need more information), they are obviously disappointing the large portion of people who never PvP'ed nor wanted to in those games, to whom the broken DS PvP held no appeal. If they want to go that route, fine, that's their prerogative, but by the same token it is totally ok for people to be displeased with this change.

If you posted this exact same blog but just outlining why you think that constant threat of a gank is a great feature, I would not have had any beef with it. Taking the tone of being inherently right while making out the other party to be misguided is not a good way to convert people to your side.

#5 Edited by believer258 (12208 posts) -

I really hate the idea of being invaded and slaughtered by someone that I have no means of beating. Sorry, I want to explore and do things at my own pace without having to worry about some fuckwad jumping in to kill me.

#6 Posted by announakis (121 posts) -

@tennmuerti: sure, you got a point. This has been written in response to the overwhelmingly large number of people freaking out because of the online feature being expended in DS2.

I am trying to reach out to people who want a challenge beyond learning patterns of an AI.

for the rest, there will hopefully be the offline mode. I do agree that they definitely should add an offline mode for people interested only in PvE...actually, I even think they should split the character creation in PvE and PvP to have completely different and pure experience.

thank you for your input.

#7 Posted by shinjin977 (799 posts) -

This is why games like dark soul should just not detail any feature. This discussion is great but I would like to mention something that seems pretty obvious.

We know absolutely NOTHING about this apparent system, aside from supposedly we can be invaded at anytime. Now the reason we all love the Soul games so much is because it is fair and if the last two games are any indication I think we have nothing to worry about. I think the FromSoft guys deserves more credit, trust and respect from the gaming community than what is presented here. If the game came out and the system is shit? sure start flinging shit but until then or until the actual first impression come in, we should remain calm.

#8 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@announakis: Glad you took my criticism in stride. :) (i have a problem coming off harsher then intended sometimes)

Personally I totally see the appeal you are describing. It's the same reason I played WoW on a PvP server back in the day. It's just not the experience I am looking for in the Souls games, but for a different sort of challenge and dread.

#9 Edited by Fattony12000 (7579 posts) -

I've owned Demon's Souls and Dark Souls since their respective launches. Haven't played either one for more than 5 minutes apiece. Bought Dark Souls on PC just a couple of months back, too.

But I absolutely, love love love both of what those games are putting down. Love the gameplay, love the mood and the atmosphere they convey, love the tone and pacing of the combat encounters, love the environment art and the character design is so goddamn grotesquely gorgeous.

I'll buy and play Dark Souls 2 at launch.

So, you tell me what kind of mindset that is...

#10 Edited by Atlas (2457 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I really hate the idea of being invaded and slaughtered by someone that I have no means of beating. Sorry, I want to explore and do things at my own pace without having to worry about some fuckwad jumping in to kill me.

Dude, totally agree. There are quite a few things that turn me off of playing Dark Souls, but this is one of the major ones. I can appreciate a hard game with a very harsh rule set, but invasions just add an element of random chaos and frustration that is totally unappealing for me. I would get almost no pleasure from invading someone else's game to troll them, because I'm not an asshole (most of the time), so I don't think it's fair for me to have to accept it happening to me.

#11 Edited by SunBroZak (1379 posts) -

Living in a rural area with a fairly poor internet connection, I did not care for the multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls. The majority of the time, both friendly and unfriendly online players that would come into my world would provide no additional enjoyment to the game. Be it because they couldn't help me with a boss due to the lag-spikes, or I couldn't have a fair duel with them because their character would be "teleporting" all over the screen. Perhaps Dark Souls 2 will be better in that regard, but I'll believe it when I see it.

(and yes, my name is based off one of the multiplayer-focused covenants in the original game)

#12 Posted by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

If I could believe the pvp would be balanced and that you would always at least stand a fighting chance against invaders, I could buy this. But I doubt it. Maybe at launch it'll be fine, but how long before min-maxed pvp-oriented builds appear that more casual pve'ers stand little chance against? Has From EVER balanced a pvp game well enough to make anyone think mandatory pvp will stay "difficult, but fair" for long?

#13 Posted by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

I recently stumbled across this thread in the DS2 forum: "Dark Souls 2 new features announced" and was amazed by the heat of the discussion about invasions and the ethics of gameplay in the game.

It made me realize how much players are misguided regarding what they should expect from a “souls” game and how they should approach it. Apparently a lot of people are still failing to adapt their perception of the game even after many years of existence. I hope reading this will help them change their perspective and help them relax and appreciate all aspects of the souls games including PvP.

Did you really just open your thread by telling people who think the changes are bad that they don't have the proper mindset to play the game and the game isn't the problem it is them? You do realize the Souls games had no mandatory pvp previously right? Not Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls. You could beat both games and never fight a player..... Well not Demon's Souls unless you played one boss offline. My point is this is a major departure from the previous games and many many players were never into the pvp. In fact, I am willing to bet the vast majority of players did not enjoy or participate in the pvp other than occasionally fighting an invader.

When From made Demon's Souls they had a chance at making a good competitive pvp game with the sequel. They made it VERY clear with Dark Souls that was not what they wanted and they did not want the game to be competitive in pvp, at all. They wanted to make a one sided game where pvp was just another wall blocking the player from progressing. Apparently they weren't satisfied though because now getting a blue to help you is probably not only going to be tricky to begin with (forget playing with friends not going to happen) but they will only be there temporarily, and you will be invaded if you play online... period. Probably constantly at release too. Because of all their stupid rules and restrictions on how matching works any real pvp is already out the window anyway, organizing an actual fight between two players who want to see who is better is pretty much impossible.

See the people who designed this game.... are stupid. Demon's Souls already did it better than either of it's two offshoots. You want to avoid invasions? Fine. You get to enjoy all the online features minus invading, but you also miss out on many in game items or events that require you be alive and you are always under a 50% hp penalty. That's an even trade. However if you wanted you could set up runs with your friends, or set up fights against your friends or other pvpers. Hell you could have full on pvp tournaments, I even started my youtube channel just to host them. What do you get in Dark Souls? Random fights that are 80%+ of the time totally one sided where one player is massively more practiced at pvp or massively better geared/specced for pvp. Of you avoid the invading by playing hollow you ge.... oh wait they didn't penalize you at all. That's the players fault how exactly? From screwed up a good system, not us, From is now overcompensating to fix their own mistakes and only making it worse. I will just throw this out there... real pvp'ers don't want to fight level 1 newbs who have no chance in hell, they want to fight other pvp'ers and prove who is better. There is only one souls game where you can do that and it doesn't start with the word "Dark".

This isn't about pvp, this is about the dev's not understanding what makes their game good in the first place and making it even more griefer driven than it already was. I ran a lot of D&D games when I was younger.... there was only one I ever had a player get up and walk away from mid game. It was the one where I intentionally made the campaign nearly unwinnable just to challenge the players. Here's the thing, there is "challenge" and then there is "hard just for the sake of being hard". One is good and can be fun and rewarding when you win, the other is just annoying and frustrating. Most players can tell the difference between the two.

#14 Edited by Humanity (10122 posts) -

But do not make the mistake of believing that everyone should adhere to the same thinking. Calling other people misguided for thinking differently and enjoying different aspects of a game comes off as arrogant. The same goes for what mindset people should or should not adopt. Poppycock.

If you posted this exact same blog but just outlining why you think that constant threat of a gank is a great feature, I would not have had any beef with it. Taking the tone of being inherently right while making out the other party to be misguided is not a good way to convert people to your side.

This is the most important piece of information to take out of this thread and the most egregious crime that Dark Souls fans commit. This game in particular seems to ignite a passion in people that often turns into misguided fanaticism. How many times have you opened a thread about Dark Souls only to see dedicated players excitedly letting others know how the game is REALLY meant to be played and if you don't adhere to that very specific playstyle then you either don't understand the game or are completely playing it wrong? It's a deep game, it has many flaws and many highlights, and everyone should have the right to play it as they please, not by the standards of the organized Dark Souls moral gameplay ethics division aka the internet.

#15 Posted by DrxLecter (122 posts) -

I love Dark Souls, it is easily my favorite game of the generation and I have played a TON of it. That said I STRICTLY play PvE, to the point that I suicide the moment I am invaded by anything other than a NPC dark phantom. I NEVER play games with or against other people, I do not find it rewarding or fun in the slightest. Hell, I even play DOTA exclusively with bots. I will absolutely be picking up Dark Souls 2, but if this is true about always being invaded then I will never be playing online. Which is sad because the message system is actually pretty neat.

#16 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I don't think there is a real mindset that you like need to have to enjoy it.

Either you like it or you don't I dunno.

I'm not here to tell people how to play their games and tell them how wrong they are by not playing it like I do (Block only when you actually need to block, run around the flimsy mobs and/or bosses while they attack. Then poke at them, then repeat it)

If someone invades, welcome him/her to your world, then ruin their day.

#17 Posted by TruthTellah (9480 posts) -

@humanity said:

@tennmuerti said:

This is the most important piece of information to take out of this thread and the most egregious crime that Dark Souls fans commit. This game in particular seems to ignite a passion in people that often turns into misguided fanaticism. How many times have you opened a thread about Dark Souls only to see dedicated players excitedly letting others know how the game is REALLY meant to be played and if you don't adhere to that very specific playstyle then you either don't understand the game or are completely playing it wrong? It's a deep game, it has many flaws and many highlights, and everyone should have the right to play it as they please, not by the standards of the organized Dark Souls moral gameplay ethics division aka the internet.

I think it's an interesting way in which the challenge of Dark Souls impacts some gamers. And it is no way unique to gaming. You see this same thing happen with any difficult or specialized undertaking. Those who have climbed mountains are often ardent advocates of a certain way to climb mountains. Those who have become extremely muscular are often very extreme in how their particular way of building muscle is by far the best way. Those who have designed large architecture are often focused on a very limited way of approaching architectural problems. People who have faced specialized challenges tend toward believing that their way is the only way, and it likely has to do with how they initially learned those lessons. They either learned the the hard way and the epiphany made them believe that it was obviously the only way, or they had help from someone else who was far more knowledgeable and similarly passionate about their way being absolute.

With Dark Souls, learning through difficult trial and error makes what you learn seem even more important and absolute than it may actually be, and that's part of what makes someone feel good about their experience in the game. You conquered something through figuring it out and applying those skills in expert fashion. That is a real accomplishment, and it feels great. Yet, what you figured out can easily feel like the only answer, and your impressive application of specialized skills may just be the only way you know how to approach the situations. In Dark Souls, as in many challenging or confusing things in the world, it is easy to fall into traps where you only see the way you understand and become an outspoken advocate for a far too narrow perspective.

#18 Edited by dudeglove (8307 posts) -

I usually approach Dark Souls drunk. It helps a lot.

edit: Also, the Dark Souls community is fucking nuts. Observe:

#19 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@dudeglove: LMAO! The seconds of that video are the best.

#20 Posted by dudeglove (8307 posts) -

@mordukai: "Why are you doing this?" sort of sums it all up.

#21 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1821 posts) -

@towersixteen said:

If I could believe the pvp would be balanced and that you would always at least stand a fighting chance against invaders, I could buy this. But I doubt it. Maybe at launch it'll be fine, but how long before min-maxed pvp-oriented builds appear that more casual pve'ers stand little chance against? Has From EVER balanced a pvp game well enough to make anyone think mandatory pvp will stay "difficult, but fair" for long?

I'm hoping the rumored scaling elemental damage rather than the flat bonus Dark Souls currently has will help in that regard. The biggest issue with PvP in Dark Souls is the fact that you can output massive amounts of damage at extremely low levels thanks to the Lightning and Chaos enchants. With that (hopefully) fixed, all they have to do is figure out poise and PvP will be in a much better place.

#22 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

To much to read so I did not read anything. Just play it like you have on darksouls.. play it like you have *if* you were one of the Cool people and played demon's souls. Easy enough, dont think to far into it. Its an easy game with an easy learning curve that people for some odd reason dont understand. DarkSouls = Easy game. Play it with that mindset.

#23 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6004 posts) -

I really hope I can remedy the player invasions in Dark Souls 2 by just playing offline. I'll definitely start playing it and give the feature a chance, but if I'm continuously being killed by other players invading, then fuck that. I don't really come to dark souls for PvP anyway. I come for the exploration and satisfaction of overcoming seemingly impossible obstacles.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

Pretty much agree with every point you laid out. I pretty much adhere to the same mentality. If Im losing that is MY fault and I need to learn how to better play the game.

#26 Posted by golguin (4054 posts) -

I really hope I can remedy the player invasions in Dark Souls 2 by just playing offline. I'll definitely start playing it and give the feature a chance, but if I'm continuously being killed by other players invading, then fuck that. I don't really come to dark souls for PvP anyway. I come for the exploration and satisfaction of overcoming seemingly impossible obstacles.

Invaders are part of the obstacles though. I think most people remember the tipping point when their reaction to the invasion message changed from "Oh shit, oh god, I can't afford to die now" to "Let's go. I got this."

#27 Posted by announakis (121 posts) -

I usually approach Dark Souls drunk. It helps a lot.

edit: Also, the Dark Souls community is fucking nuts. Observe:

I think this is the most hilarious trolling I have ever seen in DaS together with the guys playing "Indiana Jones" style in the Fortress:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.