What to spend spices on

#1 Edited by HaniBall (311 posts) -

So, I am moving through the game very slowly. I just don't have enough time these days. But I am starting to enjoy it a lot more. In the beginning? I was a little sceptic I must say.
Speaking about which: So I have farmed the bell midgets for swathes and have 2 in my inventory now. Next up is leveling atn to 13 to have 2 slots. Also traded for the poison mist, just in case I find myself in a situation like with Doran in my first playthrough of Demon's ;)

But now, that my appetite has been whet, I am considering using more spells/miracles. At least for buffing. So, should I level int to 8, buy magic weapon and use 2 spices on it. Or is that a waste because I'll bring int to 10 eventually anyways? (is there good reason to? right now I am 40str, 20 dex, 20adp, 30vig, 20vit, and everything else at swordsman minimum). Where do I get lightning buff, what are the requirements? would that make more sense? But faith might be the more realistic stat to level late game/ng+?

So many questions, so little time!

#2 Edited by Myrmicus (213 posts) -

Spending spice on lower spells doesn't worth it, in my opinion. If you won't raise your intelligence or faith higher than 10, you would need vast amount of spices to be able to cast descent spells. My advice : stick to pyromancy, you have a weapon buff from trading a NG+ boss soul with Straid... or stick ti resins. Faith buff spell is currently out of reach for you, unless you gather all spices from your playthrough (and are lucky enough to get plenty to drop from the mobs who drop them)... plus, it comes with a miserable number of casts (only one).

#3 Posted by HaniBall (311 posts) -

@myrmicus said:

Spending spice on lower spells doesn't worth it, in my opinion. If you won't raise your intelligence or faith higher than 10, you would need vast amount of spices to be able to cast descent spells. My advice : stick to pyromancy, you have a weapon buff from trading a NG+ boss soul with Straid... or stick ti resins. Faith buff spell is currently out of reach for you, unless you gather all spices from your playthrough (and are lucky enough to get plenty to drop from the mobs who drop them)... plus, it comes with a miserable number of casts (only one).

Thanks! So are you suggesting I burn an ascetic on the sinner? Because I used mine on Heide's (mistake, I had missed the mace knights drop) and belfry sol (swathes) but I'm sure I can find another somewhere. And just to confirm, basic magic weapon is not worth it, yea? I do have the higher level magic weapon but that is clearly out of reach.

#4 Posted by BambamCZ (134 posts) -

As Myrmicus said, for you would make more sense to stick with pyromancy and the NG+ "Flame weapon" from Straid for buffing and for the rest either infusions or resins. Spices I used really just for the super high level spells\miracles that required 60+ of the respective stat. And to make some of the useful magics useable for you would take obscene amount of skeptic's\simpleton's spices.

#5 Posted by HaniBall (311 posts) -

@bambamcz said:

As Myrmicus said, for you would make more sense to stick with pyromancy and the NG+ "Flame weapon" from Straid for buffing and for the rest either infusions or resins. Spices I used really just for the super high level spells\miracles that required 60+ of the respective stat. And to make some of the useful magics useable for you would take obscene amount of skeptic's\simpleton's spices.

Hmm, so I guess I'll stick with resins for this playthrough. But with the spawn limit its not like I can farm white stuff like in the old days. Or is upping the sinner bonfire less stupid than I think?

#6 Edited by BambamCZ (134 posts) -

Not 100% sure but you should be able to buy every kind of resin (except for dark buff) from the different merchants.

Magic - ladder guy (he also sells bleed effect applicable to your r.hand weapon)

Poison - Gavlan

Fire - Melentia

Lightning - Vengral

edit: I think you need NG+ for a boss to start dropping the old souls. Not sure though.

#7 Posted by HaniBall (311 posts) -

@bambamcz: You are probably right. Like I said, I used an ascetic in Heide Tower, and all I got was a regular dragonrider soul.

#8 Posted by Karkarov (3000 posts) -

I would not ascetic Sinner, at least not yet .... most people say Sinner is the hardest NG+ boss if not hardest boss in the game once at the NG+ level. Honestly I beat the whole game and never used even one spell, it is perfectly doable. Just stick with the resins.

#9 Edited by HaniBall (311 posts) -

OK, you guys convinced me. It is probably more the RPG geek in me that wants to have a buff spell asap :) Having that unbuffed +10 mace in my right hand just feels incomplete.

But the resins are so expensive...

#10 Posted by mosespippy (4044 posts) -

You'll probably end up raising your int or faith at some point. I was level 230 before I started gaining atunement but I still had 30/30 int/faith just for the elemental defenses and fire damage. Levels are cheap and you'll run out of stats to upgrade eventually.

@bambamcz said:

Not 100% sure but you should be able to buy every kind of resin (except for dark buff) from the different merchants.

Magic - ladder guy (he also sells bleed effect applicable to your r.hand weapon)

Poison - Gavlan

Fire - Melentia

Lightning - Vengral

edit: I think you need NG+ for a boss to start dropping the old souls. Not sure though.

Dark Resin can be bought from Felkin in Huntsman's Copse.

#11 Posted by BambamCZ (134 posts) -

@mosespippy: Oh you're right, thanks. Completely forgot about Felkin.

#12 Edited by hippocrit (237 posts) -

Spices are great to use on buffs, but they only reduce requirements to 10, not below. Sunlight Blade adds 50 lightning damage to a weapon plus 30% of the weapons base elemental damage. So if you use SLB on a weapon that already does 100 lightning damage, you'll add 50 + 30 = 80 damage, regardless of your faith level. Even on a pure physical weapon you still get an extra 50 damage per swing, which can be equivalent to leveling a scaling stat about 20 times. Super useful.

Spices are NOT great in spells that scale with the appropriate stat, like lightning spear or homing soul mass. You'll be able to cast with a lower investment, but the spell will be underpowered.

Edit: spices are also great for non scaling protection or utility spells like magic barrier, profound still, and cast light.

#13 Posted by HaniBall (311 posts) -

I ended up pumping int to ten and spicing down great magic weapon.

So far happy with the choice. Have actually gone back to the maces for pvp too, i stagger you girls once, you're sol :)

#14 Edited by Marz (5643 posts) -

Proufound Still ( spell silence that last like 30 seconds ) is probably the most useful spell for any character, and Great Magic Barrier is insanely good. Spicing them down to reasonable levels makes them good for any build.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.