What Was the Crazy Rumor Brad Heard About Dark Souls 2?

• 62 results
#1 Posted by RonGalaxy (3110 posts) -

During the Volgarr stream Brad said he heard a crazy rumor about the games development. He didn't say what it was though, because he wasn't sure "if he was supposed to repeat it", but that it was "probably out there on the internet". I looked around and couldn't find anything particularly interesting concerning Dark Souls 2 development, which led me to create this thread.

So does anyone have any idea what he was talking about?

#2 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1008 posts) -

It's apparently being turned into a spectacle fighter, with light Warioware elements, the last I heard anyways.

#3 Edited by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

It's apparently being turned into a spectacle fighter, with light Warioware elements, the last I heard anyways.

My uncle works at Nintendo. I can confirm this

#4 Edited by AlexGBRO (295 posts) -

ask people who actualy played the beta of dark soul 2

#5 Posted by Yummylee (21502 posts) -
@alexgbro said:

ask people who actualy played the beta of dark soul 2

Whatever it is is related to the development of the game, so I wouldn't imagine beta players are in any better position to provide an answer.

#6 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

That's really annoying, Brad.

#7 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I suspect the Director of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, who doesn't work on Dark Souls 2, and whose current project currently is unknown...

...works on a proper Demon's Souls sequel for Sony. Or something...

How exactly that affects Dark Souls 2? I don't know. Though it might just be another inflated production budget.

#8 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

That's really annoying, Brad.

Cockteasing is increasingly popular with these industry insiders. For shame! Get me off. Or get out. Is what I say.

#9 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

Demon souls 2!!

#10 Posted by RonGalaxy (3110 posts) -
#11 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -

It's being turned into a WiiU exclusive. Nintendo are proud to announce that with titles such as Bayonetta 2 and Dark Souls 2, they hope they can capture the "hardcore" gamer's hearts.

#12 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@jclane said:

It's being turned into a WiiU exclusive. Nintendo are proud to announce that with titles such as Bayonetta 2 and Dark Souls 2, they hope they can capture the "hardcore" gamer's hearts.

My uncle works at Nintendo. I can confirm this

#13 Edited by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -
#14 Edited by RazielCuts (2949 posts) -

Ah, the Arthur Gies approach.

#15 Edited by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

The rumor about the director isn't crazy or particularly new information, or a rumor at all. It's been known for a while that Miyazaki wasn't the creative lead on DaS 2, but he assured folk (I think in an interview in Edge?) that DaS2 was going to turn out just fine regardless. It's possible that he might be working on DeS2, but at this point it's like saying Valve is working on HL3.

#16 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

Well, Brad didn't scream it out on twitter and then yell at you for eavesdropping on a private conversation, so quite different if you ask me

#17 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Its been turned into a My Little Ponies game after Japan found out about this Bronie thing and thought it would make them lots more money. It's been a closely guarded secret though.

#18 Edited by golguin (3876 posts) -

I'm sure it wasn't anything that isn't already known. He wouldn't have any info about the actual game play since you'd need to understand the system in Dark Souls 1 to know what was new in Dark Souls 2. The beta players in the community have already tested out the new stats and how they can impact the way your character handles. I doubt he'd know about story spoilers since you'd have to know the lore of Dark Souls to know if the information was new.

The only thing that would be an unknown would be something about it's current development. Does Brad usually talk to Japanese devs? If it's about Demon Souls 2 that's been a known thing for a while assuming that's what Miyazaki is working on.

All in all the crazy rumor Brad heard is probably nothing.

#19 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

@seppli said:

I suspect the Director of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, who doesn't work on Dark Souls 2, and whose current project currently is unknown...

...works on a proper Demon's Souls sequel for Sony. Or something...

How exactly that affects Dark Souls 2? I don't know. Though it might just be another inflated production budget.

Can we vote on which rumor gets to be true? I pick you!

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 crossover with Puzzle & Dragons.

#21 Posted by development (2246 posts) -

Honestly, Brad doesn't know a whole lot about the series, so something that seems shocking to him could be totally mundane or expected to us, especially if it's lore-related.

#22 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

it's 60fps....

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9863 posts) -

Brad's not even a real Journalism!

#24 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

I imagine it's just baloney to stir something up. I doubt anyone's told him ANYTHING since he said he was leaving.

#25 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

it's 60fps....

There will not be 10 funnier posts than this, this year

#26 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -

I heard it was that they were going to make you play the game with rock band drums.

#27 Posted by The_Nubster (2096 posts) -

Brad's not even a real Journalism!

Yeah, he's a press sneak fuck, they never find out about anything.

#28 Posted by Nonused (212 posts) -

@animasta said:

I heard it was that they were going to make you play the game with rock band drums.

Old news. Namco Bandai's also revealed what tracks they've licensed:

Get with the times.

#29 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

The budget wasn't working out so it was outsourced to Tecmo and is now a Dynasty Warriors game.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

Its been turned into a My Little Ponies game after Japan found out about this Bronie thing and thought it would make them lots more money. It's been a closely guarded secret though.

That would be so great.

#31 Posted by pyrodactyl (1975 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

Well, Brad didn't scream it out on twitter and then yell at you for eavesdropping on a private conversation, so quite different if you ask me

Let's say Artur Gies inspired then. Brad still has a lot of work to do before he can truely say random meaningless non sense on the internet.

#32 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

prance the sun

#33 Edited by GaspoweR (2959 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

A private conversation on a public account mind you :P :P :P

#34 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@jclane said:

Id buy a WiiU if they had darksouls 2 as an exclusive..

#35 Posted by Dixavd (1344 posts) -

I don't know anything about this rumour (heck, I never even saw what Brad said in context) but... I just want to ask why everyone keeps saying the director is working on Demons Souls 2? I thought he had confirmed he was making a new franchise (either related or not to the previous games they've made). Or are people just meaning a spiritual successor, where they make a new franchise out of the old ideas? 'Cause I remember Namco-Bandai making a big deal out of the fact they had a new franchise by From Software in development.

#36 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3796 posts) -

hahahah

#37 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -
#38 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4715 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

To be fair whenever Brad pulls this kind of shit it's usually out of sheer excitement and forgetting that he can't say it publicly.

Gies is just a follicle-y challenged monster.

#39 Posted by RonGalaxy (3110 posts) -

I guess the only way to choose a best answer will be to choose the funniest one. Hold on a sec, let me evaluate.

#40 Posted by Brodehouse (9863 posts) -

The budget wasn't working out so it was outsourced to Tecmo and is now a Dynasty Warriors game.

Sun Jian will put Kalameet to shame.

#41 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@brodehouse: By DW continuity Sun Jian couldn't even take Hua Xiong! Fuck history.

Of course it's Soul's Souls, the spiritual successor to King's Field. Also known as Sal's Souls.

#42 Edited by darkest4 (414 posts) -

Bunch of "comedians" in this thread.

#43 Posted by WMoyer83 (634 posts) -

First Brad manipulates the top ten games list, and now this.

He may not be the sociopathic villain Giant Bomb needs, but he is the sociopathic villain Giant Bomb deserves.

#44 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@naru_joe93: There was a rumor a while back that the original producer hidetaka miyazaki is working on a next gen game. Then famousmortimer the man who broke the news of the Driveclub delay said that Sony Japan and Miyazaki is working on a project weather it is DS2 or another game it is said to be a Demon soul Spiritual successor.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/14/demons-souls-2-ps4-reveal-suggested-by-driveclub-delay-leaker-rumour/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88242705&postcount=424

If it was actually Demons Souls 2 on next gen hardware that would be the best thing ever.

Real heroes eat grass!

#45 Posted by Aegon (5493 posts) -

I would be down for a Demon's Souls 2 / spiritual successor. The atmosphere in that first game was done really well. It would be interesting to see these two similar franchises go down their own paths and see what comes out at the end.

#46 Posted by Hayt (278 posts) -

It's probably the bit about losing max hp every timw you die now. From the outside looking in I could see people going "that doesn't sound right, even for Dark Souls".

#47 Posted by golguin (3876 posts) -

@hayt said:

It's probably the bit about losing max hp every timw you die now. From the outside looking in I could see people going "that doesn't sound right, even for Dark Souls".

But that's already confirmed. It was in the demo. I believe it was -25% the first time you died and another -25% if you died a second time in a row.

#48 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

@naru_joe93: There was a rumor a while back that the original producer hidetaka miyazaki is working on a next gen game. Then famousmortimer the man who broke the news of the Driveclub delay said that Sony Japan and Miyazaki is working on a project weather it is DS2 or another game it is said to be a Demon soul Spiritual successor.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/14/demons-souls-2-ps4-reveal-suggested-by-driveclub-delay-leaker-rumour/

Wasn't Dark Souls already a Demon's Souls spiritual successor?

So if you want to entertain this rumor, you'd call this "project" a direct successor, no?

#49 Posted by RonGalaxy (3110 posts) -

@snail said:

@jimmyfenix said:

Wasn't Dark Souls already a Demon's Souls spiritual successor?

So if you want to entertain this rumor, you'd call this "project" a direct successor, no?

Unless sony decides to not use the Demons Souls name, which I doubt will happen if this is all true. It would be fucking ridiculous if they did that, but also kind of cool (in a weird way). 3 series with very similar gameplay, made by different companies, worked on by the same guy, all having different names. Esoteric to the extreme.

#50 Edited by Dragon_Puncher (86 posts) -

@golguin:

I'm in the beta and it's not nearly that much. Don't have numbers on me, but it's more like 5% each time you die and at 50% it doesn't go any lower.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.