What weapon are you using?

• 394 results
#201 Posted by Steadying (1358 posts) -
#202 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5752 posts) -

@lukeweizer: There seems to be about 20 weapons on par with the Zweihander.

#203 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1791 posts) -

@lukeweizer said:

Anyone know if the Zweihander is as good as it was in DS1? Is it as good at stun-locking enemies?

Stun-locking seems to be based specific weapon combos rather than poise this time. The Claymore's Strong-Strong combos, but other combinations don't. I havn't messed around with the Sweihander yet though.

@soldierg654342: Cool, I'll go get it next time I play!

It's pretty easy to get, just 20 Sunlight Medals, which is like zero with as many people playing and summoning as there are right now.

#204 Posted by paulithon (103 posts) -

dual wielding fire sword +10 and Heide sword +5 and so far they are serving pretty well. although did have a lil trouble with smelter demon not using my trusty fire sword ha

the fire sword degrades so fast though so switching to lesser weapons in inventory for longer areas and saving the +10 for bosses

#205 Posted by Sterling (2473 posts) -

Any dex builds dual wielding katanas? I was thinking of doing a build like that for another character. Make one poison and the other have bleed.

#206 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (698 posts) -

Black Knight Halberd + 5.

Might be the weapon with the most damage in game, and an incredibly unfair two-hand moveset. Loving it.

I'm also using a Long-bow + 10 in order to fight mages and/or cowards, as well as an Uchigatana + 10 which I buff with elemental damage against quicker foes. That said, I've been contemplating switching it out with a Washing Pole + 10 simply due to the added range. We'll see how it scales.

#207 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

I really liked the Fire Sword, but I'm so glad I finally have a new weapon. Got my Uchigatana to +10 and I just found the Black Knight Halberd (the weapon I used to beat the first game). I'd say that's a pretty good one-two punch.

#208 Posted by gerrid (354 posts) -

I switched to power stancing a raw +6 bastard and a +10 lightning claymore . it is SO MUCH FUN, pve and PvP. the l2 attack is a double swipe it is so satisfying

#209 Posted by Kyelb22 (298 posts) -

I'm currently using my Black Knight Ultra Great sword. Similar move seat as the pursuer's, but has the addition of fire damage. I switch to my Large club +10 when I need to smack some armored fool upside the head.

#210 Posted by Svenzon (722 posts) -

Bastard Sword +5. Works really well. I got so used to having a shield in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, so I felt it was time to go two-handed now.

#211 Posted by mano521 (1228 posts) -

Axes for days dude. Bandit axe, dragonslayer axe for armored folks, gyrm axe, gyrm greataxe. so on so forth

#212 Posted by BambamCZ (147 posts) -

Settled with a greatshield and Pursuer's Greatsword +5 and Greatsword +6-ish (Enchanted), forged the enchanted Greatsword just to fight Smelter Demon. Other than that so far rolling along with those without a major hickup.

#213 Posted by Melvargh (500 posts) -

Been using a club the entire game so far. At +7 right now, serving me very well. Also rolling with an unenchanted and unupgraded bow. I should get on making that thing better.

#214 Posted by Eaxis (936 posts) -

I used the spear a lot in DS so bought it early on in DS2 and I quite like it. Up to +3 and the strong attack often stagger foes so I get a little combo going.

#215 Posted by Zevvion (2106 posts) -

I'm using a Lightning Blacksteel Katana +10 still. I really like the weapon. I also dig the look of it much more than the other Katana's. So far, it's the only katana I have found that scales S with DEX (even when infused). I have a high DEX high faith build so it's perfect for me. Also bought the Uchigatana but it is nerfed significantly as opposed to the one in Dark Souls. Actually, none of the katana's do bleeding anymore it seems. Also found Manslayer in Shrine of Amana. That area is not THAT hard btw. Still have yet to find the Beserker's Katana that I saw in the loading screens. I also saw another one but I forget what it's called. I'm curious. But I suspect Blacksteel will be the best one.

#216 Edited by Steadying (1358 posts) -

Okay, I am totally dual wielding Zweihanders now. It's actually not as awesome as it sounds.

#217 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Greatsword not only looks fucking awesome, but it hits like a truck. It is also really good for PvP as well. It may be slow but if you time your attacks right there is simply no way your opponent can handle more than a few hits. Hopefully later on in the game I won't regret going strength and using a slow weapon. It's been decent so far but I'm kind of scared what the future might hold for me. I have been dumping a lot of points into vitality as well because I want to be able to withstand anything while also rolling around like a speedy little bastard.

I'm sad I haven't found any good katanas in the early game. In Dark Souls you could get the uchigatana really early on by killing the first shop keeper and it was so fast that it was a great weapon even late game. I would usually use it with my sorcery builds and just make it scale with Int and murder the shit out of things. Not sure if that's viable this time though.

#218 Edited by Sessh (871 posts) -

Right now I'm using a Poison Blacksteel Katana +10, but I think I'm gonna switch to one of the scythes and potentially upgrading it the raw path.

#219 Posted by Lumley (962 posts) -

Bastard Sword+4 and Tower Shield+2

I've just got (and can wield) the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, I can't decide if I prefer it to the Bastard Sword.

#220 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1453 posts) -

Ive been using a Lightning Uchigatana +7 thats been doing ~330 damage with 50dex at B scaling, while using a Black Steel Katana +10 which has S dex scaling but its only doing ~320.....i find that strange. Even when i add the lightning it gets less lightning damage then the uchi....its just weird. Also

#221 Posted by BambamCZ (147 posts) -

@lumley: try messing around with the Pursuer sword. I think of the weapons I have tried so far it has my favourite move set and the poise damage with stone ring can stunlock even heavily armoured enemies.

#222 Edited by johnbakosh (115 posts) -

#223 Posted by makari (600 posts) -

I used Heide Knight Sword for the entire game pretty much, with the A faith scaling charm and a longbow as off-weapons. I originally wanted to roll a dex build but in the end it turned out to be a str/dex/faith build since having a sword with three stats that scale C is better than a weapon that scales E/A in two stats. It also let me throw lightning bolts, the greater version of which do amazing damage.

#224 Posted by bnutz2k (90 posts) -

The Great Club +5 is beastly through Iron Keep. I'm two-shotting the Alonne Knights. I'm a bit clumsy with it, so I screw up from time to time, but it's nothing short of devastating. I just bumped it up to +7 and will likely get it to +9 or +10 tonight. That Smelting Demon is going down! I already helped someone beat the Old King and it's really handy (get it) for that boss as it's kinda hard to miss that big ol' arm of his when it's on the ground.

#225 Posted by faustyn (615 posts) -

I've been running around with a Club +10 lately and enjoying that. I love the moveset on my Drangleic Sword +3 but I don't have any more twinkling titanite to upgrade it so I'm not using it right now. Don't really know what to do next to be honest. Thought about using a Raw Stone (If i finally find that stupid thing) on my club, but I heard something about Raw ruining scaling? You guys know anything about this?

#226 Posted by DoctorDonkey (337 posts) -

Two +10 Greatswords with power stance. It took til I was about 60% of the way through the game to be able to have the mats and strength to do it, but once I could, it was lights out for most enemies in one swing. I was doing 800 damage per swing to bosses and completely melting them. Whenever someone would invade, I would bait them into trying to attack and hit them with two swings. I didn't meet a single person who could survive past 3 swings of it. Biggest problem with it is the huge Vitality requirement, because both swords have a weight of 22.

#227 Posted by bnutz2k (90 posts) -

That sounds hysterical!

#228 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I ditched my dex character because i wasn't feeling it, i made a faith knight guy, somehow ended up dual wielding the heides knight sword and the fire longsword, since they both scale with it decently. It's surprisingly awesome, especially in pvp. (doing alot of bell invasions for free titanite chunks).

The elemental damage hits through shields and breaks guards super fast. Hits like a damn truck too. Really been enjoying this faith guy.

#229 Posted by Lukeweizer (2709 posts) -

Two +10 Greatswords with power stance. It took til I was about 60% of the way through the game to be able to have the mats and strength to do it, but once I could, it was lights out for most enemies in one swing. I was doing 800 damage per swing to bosses and completely melting them. Whenever someone would invade, I would bait them into trying to attack and hit them with two swings. I didn't meet a single person who could survive past 3 swings of it. Biggest problem with it is the huge Vitality requirement, because both swords have a weight of 22.

I'm also rolling with a Greatsword +10, but the weight is starting to bug me. I have my Vitality high enough to equip the gear I want and the Greatsword and be under 100%, but I wish I could equip a 2nd weapon and a Tower Shield now. Starting to think about experimenting with lighter Ultra Greatsword or just Greatswords, but the Greatsword is the most damaging Ultra Sword, I believe. It's starting damage is 200, which is the highest I've seen.

#230 Edited by Barrabas (326 posts) -

I've got a +10 bastard sword and a +10 claymore at this point. The claymore only does 10 more points of damage than the bastard sword but I like the thrusting animation better than the arching overhead strike. Though the bastard sword does still come in handy sometimes for hitting things low to the ground like crystal lizards, or hitting bosses whose weak point is a little higher up than normal like the fucking laser spider.

I went through all DS1 using the greatsword but I haven't been using it since it no longer has the thrusting animation on the heavy attack, and I hate the short range of the 2nd strike on the heavy attack. Actually every ultra greatsword that I've found so far has that same heavy attack 2nd strike animation that I don't like. It's kind of bumming me out. I've still got a spare titanite slab since the game hands them out like candy in comparison to DS1, so I can upgrade an ultra greatsword to +10 if I ever find one I like.

#231 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Finally managed to max out my chosen gear today. Time to wrap this up.

Got 2x Mastodon Greatsword +10, 2x Bastard Sword +10, Drangleic Sword +5, Tower Shield +10, Alonne's Greatbow +10, Alonne's Captain Helm +10 & Chest +10 (that's all there is), rest is Alonne's Knight +10.

Looking like a bad-ass power ranger.

#232 Posted by Lukeweizer (2709 posts) -

Been rolling with the Greatsword for 30ish hours now. +10 and Lightning imbued. I have my Vitality to a point where I can wear my best armor and a shield AND have the Greatsword equipped but be under 100%. I like it because it's moveset and power.

I'm now starting to think about having a 2nd weapon equipped and using a Tower Shield. I feel like the best way to accomplish this is to ditch the Greatsword and it's 22.0 weight. I think I want to stick with an Ultra Greatsword or just a plain Greatsword.

From the research I've done, the Greatsword does the most damage for an Ultra Greatsword (starting damage is 200). I'm having a hard time deciding which Ultra or Greatsword would even come close to that. I'm leaning towards the Zweihander because it's damage isn't too far off of that of the Greatsword, but the scaling isn't as good.

Is anyone else using any Ultra or Greatswords they'd like to suggest?

#233 Posted by DoctorDonkey (337 posts) -

@lukeweizer: If weight is an issue, you need to get yourself a Royal Soldiers ring +1 and a Second Dragon ring. You can get the dragon ring from killing that scorpion centaur looking thing in shaded woods, and the soldiers ring from Drangleic Castle, in the back right corner of the room with all the stone soldiers and ruin sentinels.

#234 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5752 posts) -

Due to the weird constraints of no bonfires I have to die to repair my weapons so I've used all of the following getting through the first few areas: Dagger for backstabs, Shortsword, Broadsword, Hand Axe, Bound Hand Axe, Morningstar, Homonculus Mace, Yellow Quartz Longsword, the completely absurd Halberd+4, and I've backstabbed a guy with my bare hands.

#235 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1622 posts) -

When are they going to add guns?

#236 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@lukeweizer said:

Been rolling with the Greatsword for 30ish hours now. +10 and Lightning imbued. I have my Vitality to a point where I can wear my best armor and a shield AND have the Greatsword equipped but be under 100%. I like it because it's moveset and power.

I'm now starting to think about having a 2nd weapon equipped and using a Tower Shield. I feel like the best way to accomplish this is to ditch the Greatsword and it's 22.0 weight. I think I want to stick with an Ultra Greatsword or just a plain Greatsword.

From the research I've done, the Greatsword does the most damage for an Ultra Greatsword (starting damage is 200). I'm having a hard time deciding which Ultra or Greatsword would even come close to that. I'm leaning towards the Zweihander because it's damage isn't too far off of that of the Greatsword, but the scaling isn't as good.

Is anyone else using any Ultra or Greatswords they'd like to suggest?

Mastodon Greatsword has an A scaling for STR at +10 and deals 300 base dmg then. Requirements are 30 STR and 12 DEX. One you'll get from a chest, and I got one of it to drop from a spider-mob. It's just a regular greatsword though. For my tastes, it's the best looking greatsword out there. Gilded hilt, angular, massive.

#237 Posted by SunBroZak (1204 posts) -

Due to the weird constraints of no bonfires I have to die to repair my weapons so I've used all of the following getting through the first few areas: Dagger for backstabs, Shortsword, Broadsword, Hand Axe, Bound Hand Axe, Morningstar, Homonculus Mace, Yellow Quartz Longsword, the completely absurd Halberd+4, and I've backstabbed a guy with my bare hands.

Having used an upgraded Halberd, do you think they'll nerf it? The reduced damage when the blade doesn't meet the enemy doesn't seem like enough of a penalty, given how much reach and damage it's capable of.

#238 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5752 posts) -

@sunbrozak: The only way they nerf a weapon is if it's overpowered in PvP (thus compelling people to complain about it) or if it's obviously broken like the Crystal Ring Shield in Dark Souls; and doesn't seem like the Halberd qualifies; it's definitely overpowered for where it is in the game though. I think as a whole larger weapons might eventually get nerfed in general; but I mean the Zweihander never got nerfed in Dark Souls, and spellcasting is definitely going to wind up getting the most complaints in Dark Souls II once people start throwing fireballs like the Giant Mages in Memory of Vammar.

#239 Posted by Zevvion (2106 posts) -
#240 Posted by SunBroZak (1204 posts) -
#241 Edited by dudeglove (8022 posts) -

#242 Posted by Zevvion (2106 posts) -
#243 Posted by Lukeweizer (2709 posts) -

@lukeweizer: If weight is an issue, you need to get yourself a Royal Soldiers ring +1 and a Second Dragon ring. You can get the dragon ring from killing that scorpion centaur looking thing in shaded woods, and the soldiers ring from Drangleic Castle, in the back right corner of the room with all the stone soldiers and ruin sentinels.

Is the Scorpion/ Centaur thing you're talking about the boss in the area or the neutral one in the sand pit? I did kill the boss already, so I'll check my inventory for the Dragon Ring. I never did finish off that room in Drangleic Castle, I'll definitely go back for it now though. Thanks for the tips!

#244 Posted by el_tajij (713 posts) -

Just started rocking Dual-whips. It's really fun!

#245 Edited by delorean99947 (230 posts) -

Currently a bastard sword and a club.

#246 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5752 posts) -

@zevvion: Fundamentally the damage is too high but ultimately what will cause people to complain is the prevalence of whichever set of spells; could be pyro could be hexes could be sorcery. The Dark Tornado thing definitely seems ridiculous if you also have a strong weapon. There's a difference between "I didn't avoid this and it hurt" and "I didn't avoid this and it one shot me."

#247 Posted by Zevvion (2106 posts) -

@doctordonkey said:

Is the Scorpion/ Centaur thing you're talking about the boss in the area or the neutral one in the sand pit? I did kill the boss already, so I'll check my inventory for the Dragon Ring. I never did finish off that room in Drangleic Castle, I'll definitely go back for it now though. Thanks for the tips!

The one in the sand pit. But you do not need to kill him. I have the Second Dragon Ring and he gave it to me. I believe you need to kill the Scorpion lady, then come back and talk to him. You need the ring that lets you hear the voices of your enemies and equip it to talk to him though, but when you do he'll give you the ring. I also thought he gave you something else, but I might be mistaken.

#248 Posted by SunBroZak (1204 posts) -

@zevvion said:

I don't... get it...? You can avoid those spells though? Why is it considered overpowered? The only thing I really hate so far are some of the hexes. There is one in particular I'm having a hard time dodging. Impossible in narrow corridors even.

It seems quite exploitable regardless of your build. At least, I've used pyromancies that are weaker than that but still capable of wiping out phantoms in a single shot, and I haven't invested in any leveling of my stats that increase the fire bonus.

#249 Posted by Hajitorus (27 posts) -

I'm a cleric using a Mace +5, although I've been upgrading a Morning Star as well. Strike damage has been so overwhelmingly powerful so far in the game; my first char was mainly using a curved sword, which seems to get reduced by armour pretty heavily and is reasonably brittle.

#250 Posted by Zevvion (2106 posts) -

@zevvion: Fundamentally the damage is too high but ultimately what will cause people to complain is the prevalence of whichever set of spells; could be pyro could be hexes could be sorcery. The Dark Tornado thing definitely seems ridiculous if you also have a strong weapon. There's a difference between "I didn't avoid this and it hurt" and "I didn't avoid this and it one shot me."

Yeah, that tornado thing is the one I'm talking about. It has a long cast time, but it already casts when they are barely halfway through the animation. I saw someone cast it, ran over to stagger him and succeeded. But two seconds later, that tornado appeared anyway, and killed me. I know the requirements for it must be high and it might be using your souls or whatever, but it seems really powerful for narrow spaces. As in, unavoidable and apparently you can't even prevent the cast in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.