Where is Giant Bomb's Review?

#1 Edited by DrSbaitso (52 posts) -

Just curious as to why they never put a review out for this game what with the Vinny/Brad/Rorie/Patrick love going on (of the game!). I figured they were waiting for the PC version but it has come and gone and the Let's Play videos have stopped it seems. Did it just get put on hold indefinitely or is it gonna get revisited sometime in the future?

#2 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

The guys have talked about the game to death at this point, do you really need a review to know how they feel?

#3 Posted by UlquioKani (1027 posts) -

All of the people you listed don't really review games anymore. If Alex played it, you might see a review.

#4 Posted by MB (11982 posts) -

Dark Souls 1 wasn't even reviewed.

#5 Edited by Capum15 (4812 posts) -

At this point there really isn't even a need for them to review it. I do miss the "We're Playing Dark Souls Too!" videos but they've probably finished the game and/or moved on by now.

#6 Posted by c_rakestraw (824 posts) -

Given how much they've covered it already, I don't think a review is really necessary. Besides, it's pretty late for one now.

#7 Posted by Humanity (8810 posts) -

I wonder when Giant Bomb will abandon reviews all together.

#8 Posted by RonGalaxy (2872 posts) -

The guys seem like they have a lot of choice when it comes to what they decide on reviewing. Dark Souls seems like a bitch of a game to review. Hell, Vinny and Patrick are the only 2 on staff who have beaten both games.

#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5108 posts) -

They don't review many games anymore. They're kind of stepping away from it. I think Alex does it so much because he enjoys it.

#10 Edited by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

I think it's a little strange how there are so little reviews here now. I mean I totally get it, they do what they want, provide content, and make the site more personalized instead of something from a factory like IGN or Gamespot. Which I totally commend them for. It's just strange to have almost no reviews on a gaming site.

BUT, on the other hand, every Quick Look is pretty much like a practical review, probably even more practical than any numbered/lettered/starred review system because they're actually showing off not only the actual game in depth, but they give their reactions. It functions exactly the same way a review would but it's not as face value as one. I much prefer quick looks to reviews now because of Giant Bomb.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

You could ask this exact question about most of the games they play.

#12 Edited by kerse (2100 posts) -

Quick looks have replaced reviews for me, seeing the gameplay/story of a continuous chunk is miles better than a review or a score number for me.

#13 Posted by GunstarRed (5027 posts) -

I can review it for you if you want. There's monsters and you swing weapons at them and it's kinda hard, but not as hard as everyone says. Good game, is fun. 3/5.

#14 Posted by Bulby33 (549 posts) -

Giant Bomb? Reviews? Ha!

#15 Edited by believer258 (11635 posts) -

So many people have mentioned that Quick Looks have largely replaced reviews for them that maybe they don't feel like they need to, I guess. Alex and sometimes Patrick still write reviews because they're in different parts of the country and still need something to contribute, though they still do their Bombin' In The AM stuff and Patrick streams stuff.

#16 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1386 posts) -

With all of the coverage from videos to podcasts, along with their opinions on the game, I think you can make your own interpret review out of it all.

#17 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1946 posts) -

@humanity said:

I wonder when Giant Bomb will abandon reviews all together.

Might be when Vinny and Alex have their East Coast thing all figured out. Maybe, who knows... I don't.

#18 Edited by Mcfart (1549 posts) -

Vinny was the first to finish DS2 (I think, maybe it was Rorie) and he's not really a reviews guy. However, Vinny and Rorie didn't finish DS2 near release (when reviews are expected), so their reviews were gonna be late anyway.

I don't think Brad even finished it yet lol

#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

Vinny and Patrick finished it. Vinny liked it, not as much as the first game. Patrick liked it, not nearly as much as the first game (which means he's going to try to get it off the site-wide top ten once GOTY rolls around)

#20 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

Giant Bomb needs to take its place a video/audio companion to Gamespot. There ain't nothing wrong with that, just saying since they have the same parent company they might as well stop beating around the bush so many other things. The site itself should probably just be integrated in Gamespot, with Giant Bomb being a media brand within, or related too.

#21 Posted by Slag (4008 posts) -

Patrick liked it, not nearly as much as the first game (which means he's going to try to get it off the site-wide top ten once GOTY rolls around)

Hey may have a tough time doing that, at least so far I'm very hard pressed to name 10 better.

#22 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

@slag said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Patrick liked it, not nearly as much as the first game (which means he's going to try to get it off the site-wide top ten once GOTY rolls around)

Hey may have a tough time doing that, at least so far I'm very hard pressed to name 10 better.

I feel the same way. Dark Souls II might not be as good as its predecessor, but it's the best game of this year that I've played thus far. If you want me to get really cynical, I'll say that Brad has a 50% chance of not beating it by the end of the year.

#23 Posted by White (1323 posts) -

Better question: Where's that review of that Barbie game they played?

#24 Posted by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

FYI Giant Bomb doesn't review things anymore.

I guess the revelation of a new wing of GB opening up in NY explains a general lack of content, but I've been somewhat disappointed as of late. There's less everything, especially of things I like. As for premium content, I don't have the opportunity to watch things live. I'm concerned for the future of GB.

#25 Posted by bigjeffrey (4788 posts) -

/

Giant Bomb Score

5 Surprised Brads / 5 Surprised Brads

#26 Edited by The_Big_Rough (218 posts) -

what you people don't take about 8 seconds to look a the score on metacritic? :)

Also there is about 5 vids plus podcasts, close enough to a review.

#27 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Giant Bomb reviews are fairly worthless and just done so they can keep status among the other sites for press privileges.

Granted that does no excuse them, they had multple staff members that apparently beat the game, so why not write a review? "just watcht he 5 hours of footage" well, i dont want to watch 5 hours of video to get an idea of the game from these guys.

Maybe its not the type of game that deserves a formal review, but perhaps if muptiple people on the staff played the game they could write a few thoughts about it, and then that could be collected and formatted into a single article that could be cool to read, but i guess the staff doesn't have time to do something like that or whatever. I dunno.

#28 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

They talked about it on several podcasts, they did a quick look of the PC version, but you want a crappy text article?

#29 Edited by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

@kerse said:

Quick looks have replaced reviews for me, seeing the gameplay/story of a continuous chunk is miles better than a review or a score number for me.

Except for the odd occasion where they play the slower/worst sections of a game. Example: on the Bombcast they talked about how the section of Brothers they jumped into during the Quick Look was one of the most drab scene in the game (I believe it was during Game of the Year discussions). There are also just some games that don't Quick Look well.

#30 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5108 posts) -

Giant Bomb reviews are fairly worthless and just done so they can keep status among the other sites for press privileges.

Granted that does no excuse them, they had multple staff members that apparently beat the game, so why not write a review? "just watcht he 5 hours of footage" well, i dont want to watch 5 hours of video to get an idea of the game from these guys.

Maybe its not the type of game that deserves a formal review, but perhaps if muptiple people on the staff played the game they could write a few thoughts about it, and then that could be collected and formatted into a single article that could be cool to read, but i guess the staff doesn't have time to do something like that or whatever. I dunno.

They believe reviews are becoming obsolete when you can learn more from a quicklook.

#31 Posted by forkboy (1116 posts) -

Wait, so you want more reviews but you think they are worthless? That's what you said, right?

#32 Posted by Corvak (901 posts) -

Reviews aren't entirely obsolete, but I prefer getting them when someone wants to write one instead of having to shove them out for every game, or make everyone spend their time producing them.

I prefer the other content in place of reviews, myself. The nitpicking over scores has kind of killed written reviews for me, at least as a reason to visit a site.

#33 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

The Quick Look versus Review argument is so odd. Me and many others seem to prefer Quick Looks in almost every way, but we also have the time and the interest to keep up with them. Sometimes it could be nice to have more of a bitesized write up where I could find out the general thoughts around a game without having to spend an hour or more watching video footage. Not everyone has the luxury of keeping up with information about games they don't find immediately interesting.

Though some might argue that the podcast would let you know how they feel, but I don't think it's a consistent enough source of information for specific games.

#34 Posted by DrSbaitso (52 posts) -
@tobbrobb said:

The Quick Look versus Review argument is so odd. Me and many others seem to prefer Quick Looks in almost every way, but we also have the time and the interest to keep up with them. Sometimes it could be nice to have more of a bitesized write up where I could find out the general thoughts around a game without having to spend an hour or more watching video footage. Not everyone has the luxury of keeping up with information about games they don't find immediately interesting.

Though some might argue that the podcast would let you know how they feel, but I don't think it's a consistent enough source of information for specific games.

This. I guess i just don't have the time or energy to try to hunt around the various types of blogs and podcasts on the site to find out what the editors think once they complete the game, nor do i think i should have to. I enjoy the quick looks also but they are inherently flawed as replacements for a full review because the reviewer hasn't completed the game yet. In any case glad to know the site is moving away from reviews and people shouldn't be expecting them.

#35 Posted by slyspider (1153 posts) -

This site doesn't do reviews anymore really.

#36 Posted by hollitz (1419 posts) -

Speaking from personal experience, reviews were only valuable to me when I didn't have a defined taste in gaming. They were really important to me when I was trying to figure out what I liked.

Now, I tend to find reviews generally useless.

#37 Edited by LiquidPrince (15843 posts) -

@bawlzinmotion said:

Giant Bomb needs to take its place a video/audio companion to Gamespot. There ain't nothing wrong with that, just saying since they have the same parent company they might as well stop beating around the bush so many other things. The site itself should probably just be integrated in Gamespot, with Giant Bomb being a media brand within, or related too.

I've never wanted to yell shut the **** up to someone on this forum more then I did when I saw this comment. But I'm above that and won't say it.

But seriously, that is a terrible idea. There is nothing wrong with having the two companies coexist as their own separate entities. Giant Bomb is a personality driven website focused mostly on video content. Gamespot is more the traditional (and old school) style of game website. They both have their place and merging them would do no one any good. Except maybe CBS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.