Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Zero Punctuation already reviewed DS2

Garr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seems fine, didn't really have any substantive complaints but any positive review from Yahtzee means the game must be mana from heaven.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@turambar: That one's still a classic; he sort of explains himself elsewhere though. "Lady with pancakes stitched to her face" is a really great way to describe the Maiden in Black for example.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: That one's still a classic; he sort of explains himself elsewhere though.

Does he? I'd like to read that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@turambar said:

Rather funny how positive he is about Dark Souls 1 and 2 when you consider the original Demon's Souls review.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1321-Demons-Souls

It's worth mentioning that he addresses this in his Dark Souls 1 review, where he claims that he tried several times to get into the game and finally got over the initial hurdle that Dark Souls 1 has. In his Dark Souls 2 review, he mentions that going back to try Demon's Souls again is a possibility.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@turambar said:

Rather funny how positive he is about Dark Souls 1 and 2 when you consider the original Demon's Souls review.

It's worth mentioning that he addresses this in his Dark Souls 1 review, where he claims that he tried several times to get into the game and finally got over the initial hurdle that Dark Souls 1 has. In his Dark Souls 2 review, he mentions that going back to try Demon's Souls again is a possibility.

Still crazy to think of Demon's Souls being this niche little thing that was rife with nothing but love and hate of equal measure way back when. And now at Dark Souls 2, it's arguably one of the most popular (or at least passionately revered) 'core' franchises going. It's good to see more people open up to it, but I can still remember lot of sentiments even on this very board of Demon's Souls being a game for people who hate themselves/crazy people ect... Which was founded by people who didn't care to understand it (GB staff for one example) and then spread by people who (more than likely) never even played it.

Just sorta funny how things change.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Demon's Souls was a great success, far from a niche title; sure it's more popular now but it was really popular back then, too. Game sold millions of copies.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@yummylee: I find that interesting too. The souls games started as a series that was for people who were serious enough to import in as it was uncertain if the game would even come out to being a franchise. One that when released outside Japan was released in limited quanity and met with extreme reactions both negative and positive. Now it is a series most game players will know of and everyone seems to love the series.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@yummylee said:

@believer258 said:
    @turambar said:

Still crazy to think of Demon's Souls being this niche little thing that was rife with nothing but love and hate of equal measure way back when. And now at Dark Souls 2, it's arguably one of the most popular (or at least passionately revered) 'core' franchises going. It's good to see more people open up to it, but I can still remember lot of sentiments even on this very board of Demon's Souls being a game for people who hate themselves/crazy people ect... Which was founded by people who didn't care to understand it (GB staff for one example) and then spread by people who (more than likely) never even played it.

Just sorta funny how things change.

Again, to be fair, Dark Souls (probably Demon's as well, but I've never played it) doesn't exactly make its systems all that clear. Going for outside help to understand a game isn't something that anyone should have to do, and that's really the hurdle that made it take this long for Souls games to take hold. The whole "it's for crazy people!" initial sentiment isn't hard to understand. However, at this point, it's common knowledge that leaping into a Souls game means you're going to have to bang your head against a wall for a little while and read a Wiki some before getting everything straight. Fortunately, that information is easy to find and it looks like DS2 made a pretty good effort to ease new players in. And it's not like this isn't a problem shared by other great games (ahem, DnD CRPG's circa 2000)

What's even crazier than all of this is thinking that the spiritual successor to King's Field - motherfucking King's Field - is one of the more passionately revered core gaming franchises now, and that Demon's Souls almost wasn't even published in the West. I think Atlus stepped in and offered to do it but I'll need to go fact checking that one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The wiki is never absolutely necessary, though. I've completed all three souls games without the use of wiki or guide at my side. Though it's of course most important to emphasise Demon's Souls in particular, since by Dark Souls II a lot of the systems are almost common knowledge amongst most whom have only even dabbled in a prior Souls game. I imported the US version (for £52, which is really unlike me) and while truth be told I barely even scratched the surface of things regarding a lot of its more intricate systems and hidden mumbo jumbo, I was still able to complete the game multiple times without even realising how to unlock the services of the second blacksmith of the game. Which in itself can change the game rather drastically.

To truly understand each Souls game to their very core and to be able to compile everything one of 'em has to offer, a wiki/guide is almost outright necessary to be sure, but it's not a necessary tool for simply playing the game. There's knowing everything, and there's knowing enough to still get by, and I'd say each one has successfully provided the latter.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I actually bought Demon's Souls around when it launched (late 2009) and considered it my favorite game of that year. I got into Dark Souls around 2012-2013ish and thought that was better. I'm now playing DS2 and finding it.....tepid....I feel like I've played this game before 2 times and was impressed for the innovation of Demon's and the open-endedness of Dark Souls, but finding little to be wowed by here. It's just not very creative.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Branwulf

Yeah this seems about right, the game is excellent but one of the most interesting parts of Dark Souls was the world and lore and DS2 just doesn't do anything like as good a job with it, there are too many obvious references to the previous game and they don't build up the lore of Drangleic anywhere near as well as Lordran dispite the fact that one could basically be build on the other.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.