Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

Has the Dark Souls 3 1.04 patch accused you of cheating?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By audiosnow

Poll Has the Dark Souls 3 1.04 patch accused you of cheating? (151 votes)

Yes, legitimately. 4%
    Yes, falsely. 3%
    No, thankfully. 84%
    No, but it probably should... 8%

I've been playing Dark Souls 3 on PC since it came out. My character is (was?) twenty-six hours in, when the 1.04 update released. I loaded up the game yesterday and was greeted by this message:

No Caption Provided

Now, I haven't cheated, nor have I picked up any items dropped by invaders or summons. I haven't knowingly "touched" any modded weapons or anything like that. But it seems you may not have to have cheated in order for the local and server copies of your save to be out of sync and flag your account. The general consensus is that a simple combination of going offline, hitting a bonfire, and going online again is enough to cause an account flag. I had a section about ten hours in with really sporadic framerate issues, during which I actually received the BSOD. I'm betting it caused some slight corruption to my save, which was enough to raise red flags in the updated modder dragnet code without making the save unusable.

There are pages upon pages of users having the same issue; not even FROM knows how many of them are modders and how many are just having inexplicable errors. A beloved YouTube star has written about the issue.

Yesterday evening, about a week after the initial reports came in, FROM came forward and said they are reviewing each flagged account to weed out the cheaters from the hapless.

UPDATE: As of the 1.07 update, the message is gone, so it looks like they were serious about reviewing the flagged accounts. And about ten minutes ago I S-ranked the game, so now it's on to getting into the PVP!

• 
    Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That sucks. Hopefully they find a way to ignore false positives so people aren't forced to play offline.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So From are basically doing a wide sweep to catch a few individuals. I remember they soft banned me and the only thing I ever used was the PS4 button mod.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I didn't get banned. I haven't run into any flagrant cheaters online, either.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yea sure I've gotten the warning. Not a ban tho ofc, or any soft ban for that matter, I still play online and can do everything.

For obvious reasons too, I use Cheatengine on the regular for various things. It's a very useful tool if you want to test things. And I just love game mechanics, love breaking them down, love testing them, love pushing them to limits and past them, getting a full understanding of how things work. What do you think is the easiest way to populate wiki tables for all those weapon stats for example. Or test poise, stamina, dmg and armor systems, etc.

After the message I did go scrub through that save to normalize a couple of stats I fiddled with earlier, just to be tidy. Also the irony is that getting a soft ban would be a thing I'd actually want. Because A. i don't summon being one of those "you have to solo a boss to truly beat it" purists, B. i don't really want to engage in Souls brand of PvP. So something like a soft ban would remove those annoyances and still leave some of the other online features.

It does suck or people not doing anything untoward, even if it is just a warning so far and not a ban. Just because when you launch a game it's basically accusing you of doing illicit shit whether you actually did it or not, and even if you did it hasn't affected anything beside your singe player experience.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using reshade/sweetfx and havent' gotten a warning but feel like I'm not seeing a lot of bloodstains and messages though. I was on the vinnco password for a while but stopped thinking that was the issue, but i don't think it was.

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By eternalshades

I got the warning, legitimately.

I used cheat engine exclusively to duplicate the boss souls in order to check out all the special weapons. The irony (tragedy?) is that in the end I never ended up using any of them (as a quality build, they all seem to suck) :(

I've been playing offline for the past couple of days as a result, as I'm way too far in the game to want to restart now. Once I beat the game I'll just delete my save and start over from scratch.

At the same time, I don't really mind being offline. I never summon for bosses and I don't care about pvp. I miss the messages, but that's about it.

The funny thing is that what I consider "real" cheaters that used infinite health/magic/stamina apparently didn't get caught up in this ban wave, since it doesn't affect the save file.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The general consensus is that a simple combination of going offline, hitting a bonfire, and going online again is enough to cause an account flag

Pretty sure that's what flagged me then, that sucks. I wasn't sure if maybe I picked something up online or what, but that seems like the probable cause for me. I really like the online portion of Dark Souls, so I deleted my 13h+ (not too long in a Souls game) save when I got the message. At least these games are really easy to replay, a couple of hours and I'm already through the first few bosses.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it has not affected me but good on From for stomping down on cheaters and doubly good on them for comitting to rectifying their mistakes.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By mordukai

@rethla said:

No it has not affected me but good on From for stomping down on cheaters and doubly good on them for comitting to rectifying their mistakes.

The problem is that the way they do it gets a lot of people who were not cheating banned. Nice that they are checking every case but who knows how long that'll take or even if they are really doing it and just saying it to save face. In the meantime, legitimate players are moved to a server with actual cheaters and have to wait until their case is reviewed. It's a "punished till you found not guilty" policy that irks me, and right now the causes are so wide and wild that no one really knows what the criteria is that even if your game has constant crashes it can corrupt your save file and flag you for a softban.

Cool that they want to address the issue but swinging a wide net to catch a few individuals is very sketchy method at best.

I've had a few crashes and I was using Input Mapper for my DS4. If that is a reason for the softban I got then honestly, I am not even interested in them unbanning me as it pretty much killed my interest in finishing this game.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 5 friends playing souls right now, 4 of them cheat their ass off and where ~level 150 after 1 play through and duped a ton of items and haven't gotten banned, while the other has due to the online/offline bullshit. Last I played I haven't been flagged, I played quite a bit offline but never modded or cheated. Pretty sweet stuff FROM

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: Im sure DS4 input wrapper is not one of the things they are going after. It always suck to get wrongly accused/harassed but sometimes its necessary and mistakes happen to everyone. Obviously people getting banned for accessing the bonefire offline and the likes of that is not intended at all and not part of a "wide net" just a glitch in their system.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is great for people like me with shitty connections.

It gets even more frustrating there, because people are punished for "disconnecting" during invasions, where "disconnection" means any session ending without the host or invader dying. Lots of people are getting in-game repercussions for having Internet hiccups.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

@mlarrabee said:
    @dudeglove said:

Well this is great for people like me with shitty connections.

It gets even more frustrating there, because people are punished for "disconnecting" during invasions, where "disconnection" means any session ending without the host or invader dying. Lots of people are getting in-game repercussions for having Internet hiccups.

If that happens the player can simply use a Way of White Circlet. And the game doesn't punish people for just one or two disconnections, either. Honestly I'm glad, if people can't maintain a stable connection then they shouldn't be playing multiplayer anyway. Save room for a summon who can actually make it through the fight without disconnecting.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting banned for stupid shit that's not actually cheating is, at this point, a time honored Dark Souls tradition. It's still a shame, and I hope they unban people who were unrightfully banned, but from experience, From hasn't been the best about overturning things.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OurSin_360

Still no false accusations but i havent had any real disconnection issues and all i run is reshade and radeonpro.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.