A way to increse attack speed?

#1 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

Is there a way to increase attack speed?

I hear agility increases your spellcasting speed but does it do the same thing for weapon attacks?

I just watched some youtube video of a rather high lvl player swinging a great sword around at ppl in the forest and honestly it seemed like he was attacking considerably faster than my faith build character who only has just enough str and agi to weild a great sword and then I turn it into a divine weapon and use my faith stat to increase damage but If my attack speed will always be this slow perhaps I should get used to some lighter more nimble weapons :S

Thanks for your advice.

#2 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

Then again, perhaps the video was slightly sped up by him by accident (or on purpose) thru a rendering process or something coz he seems to move quicker too xD And it is not just a lighter loadout, I know that movement style it was medium.

#3 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

As far as I know agility doesn't increase your melee or spellcasting speed.

As for the guy in the video: Different weapons can have different attacks, even within the same class. He may have been using a different greatsword that had a faster swing speed

#4 Posted by Fallen189 (4940 posts) -

Get a faster weapon. You can't increase it, as everything is weapon based. As the above guy said, even weapons in the same range have vastly different attacks. Find something that works for you. 

It's like an ancient psychic tandem war elephant. You can't try to control it- you have to let it GIVE YOU control

#5 Posted by Bleeble (95 posts) -

Dexterity will increase your spellcasting speed, but it maxes out at 45.

#6 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

ok thanks for your advice, I had a closer look it was a different greatsword, yeah I noticed earlier on the Zweihander and the Claymore were quite different tho I didnt think about that, gosh I rly loved the Zweihander but it proved beyond useless in tight quarters so I had to give it up, I also like the curved greatsword but rly dont like its move-set it just feels yuck, kinda slower and less range than a claymore, the Divine Claymore +5 is my current best coz my faith is my best stat, so when playing a non str or dex character I only ever need enough of those stats to be able to effectively use my weapon of choice, thats good to know. Damn it I have one wasted point in Str.. lol, I wish SO BAD there was a way to pay a lot of souls to fix up my points... wait, is there? No way to respec? SInce I started playing I have learned that res is not very useful either but I only have about 3 points wasted in that so its not the end of the world...

#7 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

pc version ? greatsword speeds have been reduced now , and the video may have been a different version .. + video speed hehe

overall get a faster weapon or get used to the slow swings :/

#8 Posted by Savage (316 posts) -

@Bassario: There's no way to respec, but don't worry about a "wasted" point here or there; you shouldn't expect or need to be exactly optimal with all your stats, especially on a first playthrough! Besides, those extra points might still give extra damage for weapons that scale with that stat or might become useful points if you change gear to something that needs or benefits from that stat. On a similar note, each starting class begins with varied initial stats and so no matter what class you choose, you're probably not going to have an exactly optimal stat distribution from the start, and that's nothing to be concerned about either.

In any case, what gear you're using is more important than your stats/level, and your own skill and knowledge as a player is still far more important than anything else. Most stats are primarily useful just to enable you to equip gear with various stat requirements, and there's a wide enough variety of gear in the game that no matter what your stats are, there will be good weapons you can find, upgrade, and use.

#9 Posted by lilbigsupermario (840 posts) -

I love the zweihander! I have mine at lightning +5! :D alongside with the greatsword of artorias +5 as well. my zwei is my most used weapon so far :D it's awesome pounding the enemies on the ground with the heavy attack lol!

and as to what i know, there's no way to increase attack speed except to get a smaller weapon like the shotel or falchion, etc.

#10 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

@lilbigsupermario said:

I love the zweihander! I have mine at lightning +5! :D alongside with the greatsword of artorias +5 as well. my zwei is my most used weapon so far :D it's awesome pounding the enemies on the ground with the heavy attack lol!

and as to what i know, there's no way to increase attack speed except to get a smaller weapon like the shotel or falchion, etc.

lol yeah, only those weapons barely scratch the bigger opponents xD I like the combat style of the scimitar and its just fine for opponents same size as me that I can parry and backstab easily but for a lot of the larger guys it seems rather harmless, meanwhile my Divine Claymore +5 is just so versatile, It has stopping power and its good in almost any situation, sadly I too prefer the Zwei but it just was near impossible to use in places like the Depths lol.

Currently im still packing the Claymore and a Nice broadsword again one for larger enemies one for smaller but I only just got to the Blacksmith in Anor Londo so I will be making a variety of stuff to try, looking at trying Halberd next, I have a few nice ones already like the Titanite demon one from that room.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.