Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Advice about NG+

ChampInMaking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Howdy folks, I just had a query I wanted to pose to everyone as I seem to be at an impasse. Spoilers maybe for those not near the end of the game? But nothing specific.

So, I'm at the Kiln of the First Flame which seems to be the end of the game I'm guessing and my mind is now moving on to what is going to happen once I finish the game. I know that after the game there's NG+ but I'm not sure if I should go down that path. What I mean is that I've played the game as medium armor type with 40 vit, 40 end, 24 str and 30 dex. By those stats you can see that I had very little experience with the spelling casting and faith/miracles part of the game (hell I just put some points into attunement for pyromancy but its a little too late as Laurentius is gone so my fire fist thing can't be leveled).

So what I'm asking is should I just restart the game as a more spell-caster type once I'm finished or will the amount of souls I get during NG+ so so much more that I can sorta just brute-force my guy into that build?

Follow up, If I do choose just to start over, what have you guys found the most fun? Sorcery, Faith or pyromancy?

Sorry for all this text. Thank you!

Hengst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to mess around with spell casting and miracles it's always easier to start a new character. The strongest spells have very high Int requirements and you wont be able to kill much with just soul arrow in NG+. Preparing for NG+ should be about killing the blacksmiths and remaining firekeepers for their drops - things you can only do once per playthrough.

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You should consider whether you value beating NG+ or finishing the game with a different playstyle more, and make your choice accordingly. It seems you're keen to try the latter, so I'd say just start a new character.

Be aware that Faith is a mostly defensive school of spell-casting (healing, knock-back abilities etc), whereas Sorcery and Pyromancy are offensive in a more traditional sense. I'd recommend Sorcery the most, as it's quite different to melee combat - the short range of many Pyromancies means you may play in a similar fashion to your current run.

ChampInMaking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent,

Yeah, I was thinking I would have to restart. Thanks!

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By buneroid

I would start a new character. I've made like 10 different types of character at this point and the way you play changes so much each time it never gets old. Going through ng+ is fun too but using the same build for that long gets old to me.

Also yes it will take ages to force your way into a spellcaster build on ng+.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Howdy folks, I just had a query I wanted to pose to everyone as I seem to be at an impasse. Spoilers maybe for those not near the end of the game? But nothing specific.

So, I'm at the Kiln of the First Flame which seems to be the end of the game I'm guessing and my mind is now moving on to what is going to happen once I finish the game. I know that after the game there's NG+ but I'm not sure if I should go down that path. What I mean is that I've played the game as medium armor type with 40 vit, 40 end, 24 str and 30 dex. By those stats you can see that I had very little experience with the spelling casting and faith/miracles part of the game (hell I just put some points into attunement for pyromancy but its a little too late as Laurentius is gone so my fire fist thing can't be leveled).

So what I'm asking is should I just restart the game as a more spell-caster type once I'm finished or will the amount of souls I get during NG+ so so much more that I can sorta just brute-force my guy into that build?

Follow up, If I do choose just to start over, what have you guys found the most fun? Sorcery, Faith or pyromancy?

Sorry for all this text. Thank you!

It looks like you have a dex build. You already have your Vit and End at 40. Once you get your Dex at 40 (45 for max pyromancy speed) you'll be able to use all the dex weapons for PVP if you want. With that high a level you can beat NG++.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.