Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Anor Londo: A Musical Tribute

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DeeGee

I'm not sure how many of you keep up with Justin Mcelroy. He works for Joystiq and had a pretty memorable moment in the E3 podcasts talking about Sherlock Holmes. Apart from that, he has his own comedy podcast My Brother My Brother and Me.

Anyway, he just posted this and I thought it was great. Justin has finally decided to quit playing Dark Souls and it seems Anor Londo was what pushed him over the edge. So my question to you guys out there is this:

Is that a reasonable place to throw in the towel? Was it particularly hard for you, or did you stroll through it with little challenge? What about dem giants eh?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Anor Londo was relatively easy except for the part with the two archers, but even that was easy when I approached it with a plan. Still have yet to beat the boss, though (haven't tried yet).

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ said:

Anor Londo was relatively easy except for the part with the two archers, but even that was easy when I approached it with a plan. Still have yet to beat the boss, though (haven't tried yet).

I'm still stuck on the archers myself, I know the plan but it's still hard to do

but anor londo also sucks because me being a retard and being sucked into the painted world of areimis.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@FluxWaveZ: The boss is the worst part of Anor londo. I don't think I would not beaten it if not for a dude I summoned. He had a crazy-disk spell which help tons.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By donchipotle

Oh fuck, that is Desperado! Fuckin' rad.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

@FluxWaveZ: The boss is the worst part of Anor londo. I don't think I would not beaten it if not for a dude I summoned. He had a crazy-disk spell which help tons.

By disk spell, do you mean Homing Soul Mass? I'm a magic exclusive user anyways, so I wager the boss will be easy to deal with, just like every other except for the Capra Demon. I'll report back if it isn't.
    pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By pjacobson21

"threw my controller like I was playing Wii"

so awesome

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mason

This made me smile. Perfectly done.

Though the archers themselves did not seem that that tough to me. Took 3 tries to get the timing down. People say this section is broken and unfair, but I didn't find it that way. It just seems the game wants you to do a very specific thing with no room for improvisation. Just run, don't block, take cover at the middle tower while you wait for an opening, run again until you're facing the right archer. Then roll under his shots until you're touching him. Once there you can just stand there and block while he'll try to hit you with a sword. He'll end up bouncing off and falling.

It wasn't the archers for me, but the long walk to reach them that became tedious. Especially since I didn't want to waste time with fighting golems and demons, but would get swarmed and die trying to run past.

@Animasta: Same here. I touched the painting like a moron just because someone left a message saying "hidden path ahead". I'm thinking a secret door, not a one-way journey. I found myself stuck in there with no arrows or firebombs which would have helped my melee-only character. I also felt supremely under-leveled so I felt screwed. Luckily the game isn't that cruel. I soon escaped after I resolved to kill the zombie dragon and run to the exit. I thought I might be boned with no ranged attacks, but he ended up being easy once I observed the safe zones and saw his straight-ahead breath attack leaves him stuck in animation while his sides are open.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By kishinfoulux

Anor Londo wasn't really hard. :-/

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By benjaebe

That was pretty great.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nohthink

I actually love Anor Londo. Regardless of its difficulties(I think everywhere I go is fucking difficult anyway -_-), it's a really beautiful place. Once in a while, I would just stare at the castle lol

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McShank

anor londo was easy except for those damn archers.. they knocked me off the ledge at least 20 times.. otherwise i 2 shot them when i actually made it up and to them without being knocked back.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperWristBands

Love it. Favourite part was the poor cat.

As for Anor Londo, it wasn't too bad until the boss. The only problem I had in the level itself was the archers. Took me three tries and it was the first time I lost my bloodstain before getting back to it.

The boss though... god damn. I was determined to get Ornsteins spear. I wasted hours on that guy and it was the first and only time I considered giving up. My second time through the game (not NG+) I was better prepared with really powerful fire magic but I didn't get a chance to buy all the pyro magic so I only had 8 fireballs and 4 chaos fireballs so I still had to use my spear... I do not like doing that.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By tekmojo

Would of been an instant hit if he took the time to gather video instead of a lame slideshow. Great singing and lyrics though.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By imsh_pl

I found Anor Lando pretty easy, beaten it in like 5 runs and lost only 5k souls. Phantoms helped me a lot in the boss fight, it was a breeze.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turambar
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

By disk spell, do you mean Homing Soul Mass? I'm a magic exclusive user anyways, so I wager the boss will be easy to deal with, just like every other except for the Capra Demon. I'll report back if it isn't.
    The disc spell is the R2 attack of the Circular Crystal Shield you craft by combining a +10 shield and the moonlight butterfly soul at the Anor Londo blacksmith.  It does magic damage which is based on the strength of your right hand weapon.  It hits hard (near 1k damage with a +9 divine zweihander), but has a long casting animation.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Turambar said: 
    The disc spell is the R2 attack of the Circular Crystal Shield you craft by combining a +10 shield and the moonlight butterfly soul at the Anor Londo blacksmith.  It does magic damage which is based on the strength of your right hand weapon.  It hits hard (near 1k damage with a +9 divine zweihander), but has a long casting animation.
    Alright, thanks. 
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By envane

i think if you made it as far as anor londo .. you can easily beat it .. id totally understand quitting at crystal archives or tomb of giants , or 4 kings etc .. but anor londo itself was rtefreshingly large and despite "challenging" enemies , it was quite sparse and easy to navigate

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Stahlbrand

Its a pretty great gag, I really like Justin on MBMBAM and the old Joystiq Podcast. Good for him for getting to Anor Londo before quitting, that means he got through Blighttown and the Gaping Demon and lots of other content, so fair enough.

The bosses in Anor Londo are top to bottom motherfuckers, especially on NG+ where their lightning based attacks do so much damage, even through a block with the Eagle Shield (high Lit resist).

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By bkbroiler

@pjacobson21 said:

"threw my controller like I was playing Wii" so awesome

agreed. hahaha

I didn't have too much trouble with Anor Londo. Died a lot, but I have died a lot everywhere else in the game. The bosses were a bitch, but once I realized I should just go for the other guy first I beat it in like 3 more attempts.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By musclerider

This made me realize how much I miss the Joystiq podcast.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Animasta: I looked at the painting and had a bad feeling about it... I am guessing I should not go up and press A to examine it?

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By TerraMantis

Anor Londo was pretty easy besides the double dragonslayer archers which wasn't that bad either.

I hated valley of giants much more which was pitch black until you died your way to the lantern. Also, i hated Lost Izalith simply because of how bright it is and those T-Rex torso things were extremely annoying.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperWristBands

@senorfuzzeh said:

@Animasta: I looked at the painting and had a bad feeling about it... I am guessing I should not go up and press A to examine it?

The painting isn't particularly hard. Once you enter you cannot leave until you finish it though. Keep that in mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.