Any new players to Dark Souls now that Prepare to Die is out?

• 62 results
#1 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -
#2 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@gtar: Awesome avatar you have!

I still have my X360 copy, fully intended to complete it one day. Have they said when the new stuff will available for consoles? I assume it will be DLC for moneys, and not a free title update?

#3 Posted by TobbRobb (4665 posts) -

360 veteran reporting in.

I've only really seen one active new guy on the forums, I think. Would be fun to have more people talking about it. The first few days of 360 launch were my favorites.

#4 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -
#5 Edited by emem (1968 posts) -

I'm new to Dark Souls, but I don't really have questions per se... it's more like I'm figuring things out on my own as I go along.

For example: I walked around for a few hours, got up to level 15 (I think) and stumbled into a forrest full of crystal/rock monsters (which look freaking amazing, by the way). While I was killing them something shot at me from miles away and after I killed all the little guys I tried to get near the thing shooting at me, which turned out to be a gigantic hydra, and realised that I'm probably too weak to face it right now. I managed to dodge most of the water projectiles or whatever that thing is shooting and decided to fall back after losing around 60% of life getting hit just once. 

I really enjoy the fact that you basically only die when you mess up, at least up to the point where I am right now. It's a great game (despite the nasty frame rate).

#6 Posted by peachesrcool (77 posts) -

@emem said:

I'm new to Dark Souls, but I don't really have questions per se... it's more like I'm figuring things out on my own as I go along.

For example: I walked around for a few hours, got up to level 15 (I think) and stumbled into a forrest full of crystal/rock monsters (which look freaking amazing, by the way). While I was killing them something shot at me from miles away and after I killed all the little guys I tried to get near the thing shooting at me, which turned out to be a gigantic hydra, and realised that I'm probably too weak to face it right now. I managed to dodge most of the water projectiles or whatever that thing is shooting and decided to fall back after losing around 60% of life getting hit just once. I really enjoy the fact that you basically only die when you mess up, at least up to the point where I am right now. It's a great game (despite the nasty frame rate).

I think the trick to that fight was to get in close and dodge it when it lunged at you, then you could attack while it recovered? at least I think that's how I did it

#7 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I wanted to give it a go (had some fun playing it with a friend), but it sounds like the PC version ain't all that.

#8 Posted by Dprotp (49 posts) -

my buddy killed that hydra unexpectedly early by getting close to it and beating the shit out of its heads

that tends to be the strategy for most bosses anyway. you tend to be safer right up in the boss's face... unless you're fighting ren and stimpy after having killed one of them. them AoE's

#9 Posted by mmzOne (279 posts) -

I bought the game on Saturday, so I'm kinda new.

Question: How do I make my sword to a lightning sword? I don't think that that smith in paris hilton (or what ever) can make it.

I just managed to kill that boss in depths, and I'm heading in to Blighttown next.

#10 Posted by Ben_H (3366 posts) -

I started playing it but have been too busy to really play much. I think I will really like it. I'm just stuck on the ghost-looking things that don't seem to take normal damage. Apparently I have to use fire or something.

#11 Edited by emem (1968 posts) -
@peachesrcool said:

@emem said:

For example: I walked around for a few hours, got up to level 15 (I think) and stumbled into a forrest full of crystal/rock monsters (which look freaking amazing, by the way). While I was killing them something shot at me from miles away and after I killed all the little guys I tried to get near the thing shooting at me, which turned out to be a gigantic hydra, and realised that I'm probably too weak to face it right now. I managed to dodge most of the water projectiles or whatever that thing is shooting and decided to fall back after losing around 60% of life getting hit just once. I really enjoy the fact that you basically only die when you mess up, at least up to the point where I am right now. It's a great game (despite the nasty frame rate).

I think the trick to that fight was to get in close and dodge it when it lunged at you, then you could attack while it recovered? at least I think that's how I did it

I don't know, I'm sure I'll figure it out once I actually get close to it (what you wrote sounds a bit like the kayran in The Witcher 2). I turned back half way, because I didn't want to lose my souls at that point. When you can only get hit once and there's no way to heal yourself, due to the long drinking animation, without getting hit again... I probably need better gear and more resistance/hp (levels). 

@Galiant said:
I wanted to give it a go (had some fun playing it with a friend), but it sounds like the PC version ain't all that.
As far as I understand the PC version is the best version if you use a controller and the resolution fix. The only problem I'm having is with games in general being locked at 30 FPS, but other than that there is nothing to complain about. It looks really great with the fix.
#12 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

New PC player reporting in!

I'm loving Dark Souls so far. It's brutal in just the right kind of way. Every time I die, I can tell it's because I either mistimed an attack or got cocky and took an unnecessary risk. Both factors are correctable which is why I haven't given up in frustration yet. I'm not that far into the game yet (level 22, just rang the first bell and am currently backtracking to the Asylum), so that may change once I hit the oft-cursed Blighttown.

I'm currently running around in a set of Balder armor I pieced together from random drops. The defense is great but I'm over 50% encumbrance so I can only fatty-roll. For my current play-style of sword and 100% block shield, should I try to get some lighter armor, or just stack more defense and facetank everything?

And a tip for those that come after me: make the effort to learn parry timings for enemies. The last thing I did in Dark Sous was defeat the two black knights in the Asylum without a scratch by parrying. Such a useful skill to practice.

---

Praise the sun!

#13 Posted by Heltom92 (713 posts) -
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I keep dying because this game seems to be designed to fuck with me. All the skeletons I kill get revived when I use the god damned checkpoint bonfire, the combat seems GENIUS but I just can't seem to get my timing right, and the items are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too obscure with annoyingly artsy names and poetic descriptions.

#15 Posted by ConfusedOwl (944 posts) -

Xbox 360 owner here. I would get the PC version but there's just too much holding me back to get it. With all the issues I've heard about I think I may be sticking with the console version. I'll probably never beat the damn game anyway!

#16 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5554 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I keep dying because this game seems to be designed to fuck with me. All the skeletons I kill get revived when I use the god damned checkpoint bonfire, the combat seems GENIUS but I just can't seem to get my timing right, and the items are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too obscure with annoyingly artsy names and poetic descriptions.

Aside from a few key points (a certain flying buttress for example) I don't think the game is designed solely to fuck with people. The Catacombs are not where you want to go at the start of the game, but good on you for trying (note if you have the master key it is possible to do it as the first zone, just a really huge pain in the ass). The combat system is excellent for single player, but has its share of issues in PvP and the item system is much more straightforward than the poorly translated previous game.

#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: I have a question, after getting the Estus Flask it went from the capacity of 5 to 10, dunno how or why but it was great, but now all of a sudden it's back to 5 again. Why is that? Can I somehow get it back up to 10 again? (I'm still in the second level, the one right after the opening level, trying to fight the dudes up the high stairs).

Thanks.

#18 Posted by Humanity (9379 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: the upgrade system in Demons Souls was SUCH a bad mechanic with the geckos. The fact that they only spawned a handful of times per playthrough and you only had a CHANCE they'd drop a chunk or a pure was ridiculous.

#19 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5554 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: The "Firelink Shrine" bonfire is "Kindled" so it is automatically set to 10, in order to get other bonfires kindled you need at least 2 humanity, 1 to turn yourself human (Reverse Hollowing) and 1 to kindle the bonfire (It's permanent); later in the game the limit on kindling is raised from 10 to 20 (1 humanity per 5), though there's only a handful of bonfires that are worth kindling more than once. On NG+ those bonfires that you kindled previously stay kindled I believe so you could eventually get 20 Estus at every bonfire if you so desired. The storyline reason that Firelink is kindled is because there is a "Keeper of the Bonfire" NPC nearby, only a handful of bonfires have this trait. Killing the keeper extinguishes that particular fire entirely for the duration of your playthrough.

Edit: Humanity is the number at the upper left corner of the screen, and can be gained from items, killing monsters in areas where the boss still remains, Co-op, PvP, and it also drops from every boss post patch 1.04. Much like your "souls" count Humanity is lost whenever you die unless you find your way back to your bloodstain without dying again.

#20 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Pro tip: from Firelink, go UP the cliff side staircase, not DOWN to the graveyard.

#21 Posted by Paco (113 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@AhmadMetallic: The "Firelink Shrine" bonfire is "Kindled" so it is automatically set to 10, in order to get other bonfires kindled you need at least 2 humanity, 1 to turn yourself human (Reverse Hollowing) and 1 to kindle the bonfire (It's permanent); later in the game the limit on kindling is raised from 10 to 20 (1 humanity per 5), though there's only a handful of bonfires that are worth kindling more than once. On NG+ those bonfires that you kindled previously stay kindled I believe so you could eventually get 20 Estus at every bonfire if you so desired. The storyline reason that Firelink is kindled is because there is a "Keeper of the Bonfire" NPC nearby, only a handful of bonfires have this trait. Killing the keeper extinguishes that particular fire entirely for the duration of your playthrough.

Edit: Humanity is the number at the upper left corner of the screen, and can be gained from items, killing monsters in areas where the boss still remains, Co-op, PvP, and it also drops from every boss post patch 1.04. Much like your "souls" count Humanity is lost whenever you die unless you find your way back to your bloodstain without dying again.

Just to add, to get the Rite of Kindling (ability to kindle bonfires 3 times as opposed to once), you have to defeat Pinwheel, the boss of the Catacombs. I usually find it's best to go around the time you get to Anor Londo (around soul level 50).

#22 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@ThePaco said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Just to add, to get the Rite of Kindling (ability to kindle bonfires 3 times as opposed to once), you have to defeat Pinwheel, the boss of the Catacombs. I usually find it's best to go around the time you get to Anor Londo (around soul level 50).

Thanks to both of you, very vital information.

@JackOhara said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Pro tip: from Firelink, go UP the cliff side staircase, not DOWN to the graveyard.

I did go up and I reached the top, but now between the skeletons throwing fire balls, the skeletons gangbanging me in tight corners, the archers, and that really huge dude with the Pyramid Head sword who one hit kills me I don't see how it's humanly possible to survive until another bonfire, with only 5 flasks.

I've repeated this part maybe 20 times now, I'm running out of patience.

#23 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I don't have the energy for this again but I'll say this - "Never stop playing!"

#24 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@ThePaco said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Thanks to both of you, very vital information.

@JackOhara said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I did go up and I reached the top, but now between the skeletons throwing fire balls, the skeletons gangbanging me in tight corners, the archers, and that really huge dude with the Pyramid Head sword who one hit kills me I don't see how it's humanly possible to survive until another bonfire, with only 5 flasks.

I've repeated this part maybe 20 times now, I'm running out of patience.

Did you get to the bonfire before the black knight with the massive sword? If you are having trouble with the knight you don't have to confront him. Maybe you need to change up your tactics in combat, try some different weapons. A spear, for example, can hit from behind a shield. One thing I noticed that a lot of people have trouble with is blocking with your shield. Always, ALWAYS block. The real dynamic in the combat is the give and take between blocking and throwing out hits at the right time, and managing your stamina. Also, take a look at the stats on various shields, it should give you percentages regarding how much damage it blocks of each type. You want to be using one that blocks 100% of physical damage.

#25 Posted by Finstern (642 posts) -

Loving it so far, amazing game. 30fps doesn't bother me, I don't get why others have problems with it, sure games with 60fps look smooth as silk but its not like the game is stuttering at 30, it was designed that way and still looks beautiful. *shrugs*

Anyone know what level I could take the knight on top of the tower behind the Drake? I have been focusing on strength, endurance, vitality and dexterity and have them in the 20's I would go up and poke him but I hate fighting in tight stairwells lol. Also wondering the same about the fat fuck in the bottom of the tower...

#26 Posted by Paco (113 posts) -

@Finstern: You can actually beat him really easily at any level. Make him follow you down to where the armoured boar is (was, hopefully, kill him first). Right by the main stairways leading to the parish, there's a pole on fire just off to the left. As long as you keep the burning pole between you and the knight, he will keep running into it and kill himself with fire damage. Be careful not to touch it yourself, since you can get burned too.

#27 Posted by Finstern (642 posts) -

@ThePaco: Cheers, will give it a shot!

#28 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1005 posts) -

This is my second time back in. Pretty much perfected the 360 version, and going back for more in the PC with a different starting build. 

#29 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@JackOhara: Yes that's where I keep respawning, and I'm a Knight with two shields that both have 65 protection each. This isn't exactly Skyrim, the loot is extremely scarce.

So I finally killed all the enemies up to the tower, ran out of flasks, no bonfire to save, and boom the Taurus Demon jumps infront of me with an archer shooting from the back and of course the beasts kills me in two blows. Now I have to start all over again.

I'm gonna go work on becoming perfect so I can reach that boss with full health and flask capacity :P

#30 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I was supposed to be one of those new players, but Guild Wars 2 happened. I dont see the need for any other games in a while.

#31 Posted by Paco (113 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Protip: For the taurus demon, use the tower the archers are on to do fall attacks, or use fire-based attacks (pyromancy, black fire bombs) since he's weak against fire.

#32 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@JackOhara: Yes that's where I keep respawning, and I'm a Knight with two shields that both have 65 protection each. This isn't exactly Skyrim, the loot is extremely scarce.

So I finally killed all the enemies up to the tower, ran out of flasks, no bonfire to save, and boom the Taurus Demon jumps infront of me with an archer shooting from the back and of course the beasts kills me in two blows. Now I have to start all over again.

I'm gonna go work on becoming perfect so I can reach that boss with full health and flask capacity :P

Are you sure your shield only blocks 65% of physical damage? I thought the knight was supposed to start with a shield that blocks 100%...if not then you can buy a shield from the merchant near that bonfire. There's a small area with two spear and shield guys on it, you should spot it if you go out of the bonfire room and down those stairs to the right. Kill them, then break the boxes and go down the stairs, you should see a guy sitting down nearby. Another pro tip for the Taurus demon: as soon as you go through the fog door, look behind you and you should spot a ladder. Climb up it, kill those archers, climb back down and spawn the boss. Lead the boss back near the ladder, go up it, then do falling R1 attacks on him from up there.

#33 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@JackOhara: @ThePaco: Guys, this is exactly my point, I appreciate the game being hard and not holding my hand but clearly it's not based on thinking or skills, it's based on knowing things you don't know.

I had to watch a youtube video to see how to kill that demon, and it looks like I'm gonna be youtubing the entire game and getting tips from people who beat it on here because there's no way for me as a player to figure this stuff out on my own!

#34 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@peachesrcool said:

@emem said:

Yep, you could have beaten him. Run in dodging the fireballs, then black/dodge his heads

#35 Edited by ImBigInJapan (263 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Progression should be measured in both your character's gear and skill and your own skill in combat, not in terms of what is still standing or your geographic location. A lot of people I know who are new to the game started out really frustrated and confused but if they perservere a bit they find a moment where the game 'clicks'. Every death is a lesson in how important patience is in combat, how big a role your shield plays in protecting you, and how to predict when to attack enemies based on their patterns. Even with that in mind, even the lowest enemy you've seen 1000 times can still mess you up if you lose your concentration. You need to keep on the ball.

As far as your gripe about the items go, personally I love the obscurity and theme present. Everything is so... evocative & mysterious. No lusty Argonian maids here!

#36 Posted by Paco (113 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: You can figure it all out own your own though, it just involves a lot of trial and error (i.e. dying). but yeah, you have a point, Dark Souls does not convey 90% of its systems and information to the player.

#37 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

There was a bonfire to your left. Before the bridge that has enemys above it throwing firebombs. I don't know how you keep missing it.

#38 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -

@ThePaco said:

@AhmadMetallic: Protip: For the taurus demon, use the tower the archers are on to do fall attacks, or use fire-based attacks (pyromancy, black fire bombs) since he's weak against fire.

Alternatively, get the pine resin from the undead burg (do a bit more exploring if you haven't found it). Enchant your weapon with one of them, and go to town on the taurus demon. (Start off with a plunging attack from the tower of course).

#39 Posted by bushpusherr (789 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Well, you can figure it out on your own, it just takes a bit longer and some learning from your mistakes lol. When I first start out in new areas, I search every nook and cranny like I have OCD and I found just about every secret thing on my first play through before I ever looked at a guide. After you get the enemy patterns down, and the important item locations found, you can breeze through this game pretty quick after you've picked up all of that tactile experience!

#40 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (679 posts) -

New player! Beat the Taurus Demon and got an AWESOME helmet that looks like his head. Am now a little past that at a bonfire near a blacksmith and a giant gate that wont open with a guy in armor that kinda looks like a Big Daddy from BioShock. I have no idea if I'm going the right way, but its fun.

Question: should I ever backtrack? I'm afraid to go back to see if I missed anything, is it worth it to do so or keep trekking forward? I'm not using any maps or guides so I don't know where I'm going I'm just exploring.

#41 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic:

At the same merchant, mentioned, you should be able to purchase a shortbow and some arrows. Use these to pull aggro from single enemies at a distance rather than getting into a gangbang.

Those Black Knights are motherfuckers but they telegraph their attacks hugely. I found that if you get right up in their grill (literally toe to toe), they only seem to do their single vertical sword swing. You can parry this attack as soon as the sword begins its downward arc. As soon as the parry happens, hit your attack button to score a riposte for a significant chunk of the Black Knight's health. Practicing parrys on the regular enemies outside the Undead Burg bonfire helped me a ton to get a feel for the mechanic.+

To get more flasks, see if you have any Humanities in your consumables inventory. You'll need two to Unhollow then Kindle the Undead Burg bonfire. Having ten flasks at that point was a significant boon to my playthrough.

Good luck!

#42 Posted by cmpLtNOOb (195 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: After a few hours it won't really feel that way. You'll start to know exactly what your character is capable of after you have started to level and build up a favored weapon, shield, or set of armor (or whatever you like to use). After that it's all about exploring and learning attack patterns of bosses and enemies. And remembering your way around the world.

If you follow the best strategy of ALWAYS HAVE YOUR SHIELD UP you are pretty safe in new areas.

#43 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@JackOhara: @ThePaco: Guys, this is exactly my point, I appreciate the game being hard and not holding my hand but clearly it's not based on thinking or skills, it's based on knowing things you don't know.

I had to watch a youtube video to see how to kill that demon, and it looks like I'm gonna be youtubing the entire game and getting tips from people who beat it on here because there's no way for me as a player to figure this stuff out on my own!

It is precisely based on thinking and skills, all of this information that we've been giving you is clearly available if you stop, look around, and pay close attention to what is going on. The game really isn't hard once you learn how to play it. If you keep dying by using the exact same tactics and strategies then you are just bashing your head against the wall and trying to brute force your way through it. Dying over and over should inform you that you need to try something differently.

#44 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@cmpLtNOOb said:

@AhmadMetallic: After a few hours it won't really feel that way. You'll start to know exactly what your character is capable of after you have started to level and build up a favored weapon, shield, or set of armor (or whatever you like to use). After that it's all about exploring and learning attack patterns of bosses and enemies. And remembering your way around the world.

If you follow the best strategy of ALWAYS HAVE YOUR SHIELD UP you are pretty safe in new areas.

I see. So in the meantime the fact that I'm repeatedly dying, losing souls and losing my bombs against enemies that respawn with me, is a normal thing? Because I'm thinking of starting over again but.. It will be the same so that's pointless.

@Ravenlight: Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I have any money to buy shiz.

#45 Edited by spazmaster666 (1968 posts) -

I'm not a new player by any stretch of the imagination (I played around 120 hours and S-ranked the 360 version) but I haven't played the game in a while and believe you me it took me an hour or so to get back into the proper mindset to play the game effectively. Because even though I knew exactly where I needed to go and all the tricks involved in fighting the enemies, if you try to rush through it and play sloppily you'll still get your ass handed to you even by regular mobs. Anyway, I just finished up the new content yesterday (finally beat Kalameet after a couple of tries) and I have to say that the game is as fun and immersive as ever. With the resolution fix the game also looks damn gorgeous (even though the textures aren't what you would call high-res, the game looks very sharp when you run it at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 in my case.)

#46 Posted by Paco (113 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87 said:

New player! Beat the Taurus Demon and got an AWESOME helmet that looks like his head. Am now a little past that at a bonfire near a blacksmith and a giant gate that wont open with a guy in armor that kinda looks like a Big Daddy from BioShock. I have no idea if I'm going the right way, but its fun.

Question: should I ever backtrack? I'm afraid to go back to see if I missed anything, is it worth it to do so or keep trekking forward? I'm not using any maps or guides so I don't know where I'm going I'm just exploring.

You'll be backtracking regardless, It's not an entirely linear path to reach new areas. That giant fortress with the dude sitting outside is Sen's Fortress, which you get to after ringing both bells of awakening, and the NPC is Siegmeyer of Catarina, who's quest line starts once you get into Sen's.

#47 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

It's so weird coming back into Dark Souls after getting every single item in the game without using a wiki when it came out on the 360.

I know where every monster, item, miracle, sorcery and pyromancy are.

It kinda lessens the experience, but I'm looking forward to the new content so I can die horribly all over again.

#48 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I see. So in the meantime the fact that I'm repeatedly dying, losing souls and losing my bombs against enemies that respawn with me, is a normal thing? Because I'm thinking of starting over again but.. It will be the same so that's pointless.

Starting over at this point is totally a valid strategy. In the grand scheme of things, you're not losing a ton of progress. Even though it seems like you've been banging your head against a wall until now, you've actually learned a ton of useful information. Namely enemy placement, attack patterns, and the layout of the level.

From accounts I've heard/read of others restarting at this point, rolling a Pyromancer might be an effective choice for you and fthe fireball spell the Pyromancer starts with seems to always stay relevant.

#49 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

I double-dipped despite not having planned to do so. The hires-fix screenshots convinced me.

Are there any sales estimates for the PC version yet?

@Canteu said:

It's so weird coming back into Dark Souls after getting every single item in the game without using a wiki when it came out on the 360.

I know where every monster, item, miracle, sorcery and pyromancy are.

It kinda lessens the experience, but I'm looking forward to the new content so I can die horribly all over again.

Yep, same here. After 300 hours spent with the 360 version, I pretty much know the game inside out. It started to feel like seeing through the Matrix or something with things becoming numbers. %)

Can't wait to reach the new content.

#50 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic @Ravenlight: Something to note, Pyromancy does not scale with Intelligence. Bear that in mind if you do restart as a pyro, you need 0 points in intelligence for it to be effective.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.