Any new players to Dark Souls now that Prepare to Die is out?

• 62 results
#51 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

I double-dipped despite not having planned to do so. The hires-fix screenshots convinced me.

Are there any sales estimates for the PC version yet?

Based on some cursory googling, it looks like it's trailing CS:GO as the #2 seller on Steam right now.

#52 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@CptBedlam said:

I double-dipped despite not having planned to do so. The hires-fix screenshots convinced me.

Are there any sales estimates for the PC version yet?

Based on some cursory googling, it looks like it's trailing CS:GO as the #2 seller on Steam right now.

Well, looks not too bad then. CS is still a juggernaut on PC.

#53 Posted by Finstern (642 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: From everything I've read and from playing Demon's Souls, these games are about learning from your mistakes and about whether or not to trust the information people are giving you. Dying isn't a bad thing, souls can be regained, either through finding your corpse or respawning enemies and killing them again, you aren't losing anything that can't be gotten back. It sucks to die constantly, but when you finally figure out how to beat what you are fighting, it feels fucking great.

#54 Posted by Atta (136 posts) -

i'm new. really liking the game so far. yesterday I messed up for the first time, because I was rushing. lost 7 hummanity and a few thousand souls. today I lost 2 hummanitys. that's a bummer. then I read that you can summon NPC-s for the gargoyle fight so I'll try that tomorrow. after that: get that awesome ring from havel, because I feel my knights lack of mobility is getting dangerous

that said, there is a huge thread on GB filled with dark souls tips so no wonder no1 has any questions

#55 Edited by mmzOne (279 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I see. So in the meantime the fact that I'm repeatedly dying, losing souls and losing my bombs against enemies that respawn with me, is a normal thing? Because I'm thinking of starting over again but.. It will be the same so that's pointless.

@Ravenlight: Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I have any money to buy shiz.

If it makes you feel better, it took me two days to kill Taurus demon. It then took me another two days to kill the next one. Whereas today I have managed to clear three areas and kill three bosses on my first or second try, thanks to the time I put to learn dodge, parry/riposte, backstab etc. I'm also playing as a knight.

#56 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@JackOhara: @ThePaco: Guys, this is exactly my point, I appreciate the game being hard and not holding my hand but clearly it's not based on thinking or skills, it's based on knowing things you don't know.

I had to watch a youtube video to see how to kill that demon, and it looks like I'm gonna be youtubing the entire game and getting tips from people who beat it on here because there's no way for me as a player to figure this stuff out on my own!

Aw no, don't do the youtube thing. You're ruining the game for yourself.

And yes, there's a point when the game starts to click and you start to anticipate attacks, boss patterns etc. Of course there's some amount oftrial & error involved but that's part of the game. If you didn't want to figure shit out by yourself, you could've saved the money and watched a let's play instead.

#57 Posted by CountMacula (235 posts) -

Just bought this today. Started my first character, a thief. Made my way through the asylum without any problems (barring the unusual control scheme prompting me to chug a flask instead of swinging my knife), and landed in Lordran. Killed a few skeletons in the graveyard by carefully pulling them in groups of no more than two and patiently waiting for my opportunity to backstab / using the lunging attack to knock their head off then backstabbing them while they sort themselves out. Picked up the winged spear before being chased by a gargantuan skeleton back to the bonfire where I chickened out. Also met some guy who wanted me to join a covenant to learn miracles, but given that I have no idea what a covenant is I backed out.

Still have yet to die, but I am loving this game so far, so tense and mysterious. Also it looks great at 1920x1200.

#58 Posted by JackSukeru (5916 posts) -

@mmzOne: In case you haven't found out yourself, you will eventually meet another Blacksmith who will make you lightning weapons, you need to have a +10 Normal weapon in order to convert it to such a weapon.

You have probably also encountered an Ember or two, when given to the appropriate blacksmith (they will ask you for it if you have it in your inventory) new upgrade paths are opened. There are 4 Blacksmiths in the game, all can be given different Embers to open up extra upgrade paths. The one you meet in Undead Parish eventually does all the Normal upgrades, Holy upgrades as well as the Occult upgrades, for instance.

Here's the super useful upgrades pic:

#59 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

@CountMacula: sounds exactly like my first experiences with the game.

You'll probably figure this out on your own pretty soon but:

the Graveyard area, and the Catacombs beyond are aimed at more progressed characters. You can definitely get through there with skill and patience, but if you get stuck you want to head up the slope from Firelink to the Castle structure you can see across the chasm.
#60 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@JackOhara: @ThePaco: Guys, this is exactly my point, I appreciate the game being hard and not holding my hand but clearly it's not based on thinking or skills, it's based on knowing things you don't know.

I had to watch a youtube video to see how to kill that demon, and it looks like I'm gonna be youtubing the entire game and getting tips from people who beat it on here because there's no way for me as a player to figure this stuff out on my own!

I think it's pretty straightforward to figure out how to progress through the game; if you're dying a lot, you need to experiment and try different tactics until you work out how to defeat a section. If you don't enjoy that process then you might not find much to like about this game. But it's far form impossible for discover this stuff.

Case in point though: the Taurus Demon. Obviously he doesn't take much damage from your attacks, so simply trying to avoid his blows whilst damaging him probably isn't the best strategy. First thing you need to do is to look at your arsenal, look at the environment and learn the enemy behaviour. In this case you have multiple valid strategies for defeating him:

1. You probably picked up Gold Pine Resin in the preceding area. The item clearly states that it will do lightening damage. The boss is weak to this.
  2. If you found the ladder up to the skeleton archers, then you might have realised that this is a sort of safe zone against the boss. You can also do falling attacks on the boss from here.
  3. If you have magic or pyromancy, you will also notice that your attacks do a lot more damage in this fight.

Plenty of options that you could have found on your own without too much difficulty!

#61 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@gtar said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I think it's pretty straightforward to figure out how to progress through the game; if you're dying a lot, you need to experiment and try different tactics until you work out how to defeat a section. If you don't enjoy that process then you might not find much to like about this game. But it's far form impossible for discover this stuff.

Case in point though: the Taurus Demon. Obviously he doesn't take much damage from your attacks, so simply trying to avoid his blows whilst damaging him probably isn't the best strategy. First thing you need to do is to look at your arsenal, look at the environment and learn the enemy behaviour. In this case you have multiple valid strategies for defeating him:

1. You probably picked up Gold Pine Resin in the preceding area. The item clearly states that it will do lightening damage. The boss is weak to this.
  2. If you found the ladder up to the skeleton archers, then you might have realised that this is a sort of safe zone against the boss. You can also do falling attacks on the boss from here.
  3. If you have magic or pyromancy, you will also notice that your attacks do a lot more damage in this fight.

Plenty of options that you could have found on your own without too much difficulty!

Exactly. This is part of what makes the game so great in my opinion, there are so many options you get to discuss with other people playing the same game. I think a lot of people make the mistake of shutting off their brain when they start playing Dark Souls, like you can do with many other games.

#62 Edited by ImBigInJapan (261 posts) -

I'm not really a newbie to the game but am taking it a bit slow and trying to pace myself with the content. I'm currently rolling around the depths and blighttown trying to get summoned and farming Green titanite. I'd like to get some co-op going in some of the post-Burg areas (Depths, Blighttown, etc) but I've had such spotty luck. Some nights it seems fine, and then others it is dead. When there is dead time it's so tough to tell if it's network related, due to soul level restrictions, or if there just doesn't anyone around in the region you're in. I wish there were some means of figuring out a rough idea of the traffic in different areas while online.

I'm pretty much certain a sequel will come out on the next-gen consoles... I am really hoping FROM listens to the many concerns and complaints Dark Souls players have voiced on these conditions. I'm not asking for friend requests or voice chat or anything like that. I'm pretty happy with the semi-anonymous nature of MP as it matches the theme of the game well but there are definitely some big holes in the system. I'd be happy with a stone that will detect the spirits of other players where they are. Useful info, and nothing immersion breaking there, certainly not more than the "Book of the Guilty".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.