Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Anybody hear anything about which version to get?

• 56 results
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CptBedlam

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Game shouldn't even be on the xbox in the first place, it wasn't even launched in japan.

Get out, fanboy.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ExplodeMode
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

If I get it ill get it for 360. Ive lost the power brick for my PS3.

I've got good news?  PS3s don't have power bricks.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By CptBedlam

@Buckfitches said:

The fact is that the PS3 version performs better

Is there a comparison somewhere? Up until now I just read about performance problems on both platforms.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Cramsy

I'm leaning toward 360 mainly because of the controller. Will much change if my 360 isn't connected to the internet at all? I'm not going to get locked out of the whole game right?

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@CptBedlam said:

@Buckfitches said:

The fact is that the PS3 version performs better

Is there a comparison somewhere? Up until now I just read about performance problems on both platforms.

Both versions have their framerate issues, but according to tweets from Keza Macdonald, Ryan VanOrd, Matthew Rorie and even Matt Kessler, the 360 version chugs the most often.

Won't ruin the game or anything, and it will be perfectly fine 99% of the time, so it's really all comes down to console/controller preference.

The Lens of Truth website is creating a highly detailed comparison video as we speak, so there might be some definite answers from them later.

@Cramsy said:

I'm leaning toward 360 mainly because of the controller. Will much change if my 360 isn't connected to the internet at all? I'm not going to get locked out of the whole game right?

Offcourse not, but I really suggest you take this game online. It has some pretty amazing online mechanics that are tightly interwoven with the single player experience while never detracting from the single player game. The real-time ghosts of other players in the world, the bloodstains left by players that met their end, the messages left by fellow adventurers, etcetera. I think all those features really set this game apart from everything else, it feels like you have a community behind you that is struggling through this game just like you, and it gives a sense of camaraderie when player-left messages point out hidden treasure, you see ghosts of other players resting at bonfires, they point you towards shortcuts or give you extremely helpful tips on the next encounter.

I don't really recommend anyone to play this game in offline mode. It makes the game, in a sense, twice as hard.

Invasions by other players, while sounding like a way to get griefed, are not common at all, and the odds are always stacked in your favor stat-wise. You can't ever be invaded by players above your level, and believe me, it feels amazing to completely smite down that ill-prepared punk that dares to set foot in your realm.

Also, the fact that you can invite fellow players to help you through difficult sections, and help out other players yourself, makes these games quite the experience. And it feels like a team effort when you finally manage to kill that boss.

Here's a video of 3 guys taking down a few difficult enemies together, and a very challenging bossfight at the end. Really worth checking out.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ExplodeMode said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

If I get it ill get it for 360. Ive lost the power brick for my PS3.

I've got good news?  PS3s don't have power bricks.
    Cable is what I meant. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.