Anyone else a little disappointed?

#1 Posted by Finalcell (26 posts) -

So I'm a big Dark Souls fan, and I've been looking forward to this DLC for quite a while. I've played the original from start to end several times and enjoyed every second of it!

My latest feat was getting 1000/1000 points and was very pleased with that. But after downloading the new DLC I noticed there are no new points associated with this DLC...

I was disappointed to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them giving out new content and what not, but with having already completed the game so many times. I feel like there isn't actually alot of point to this DLC except the fact that they just added a new area. I never had any trouble with any of the old bosses, so the new gear won't really affect my gameplay in any way. I've already got so many spells I've lost count, so the new ones are cool and all but don't really feel necessary.

So my point being, no achievement points associated with the DLC. Deliberate or just lazy?

#2 Posted by Hungry (166 posts) -

Why should achievements matter about the DLC anyway? Isn't completing the DLC an achievement in of itself? Do you need an indicator on the screen and a point total to tell you that you were able to overcome a challenge? Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a dick but it doesn't really make any sense to me. The DLC is just more Dark Souls. More areas, more encounters, more enemies, more bosses, more cool items and spells, more cool backstory. It also added some sort of PVP arena thing, but I try and steer clear from that because I have heard of a lot of hackers in there (I play on PC).

#3 Posted by Morningstar (2242 posts) -

I agree, some achievements would be cool. The quality of the DLC is still the most important though.

#4 Posted by Aetheldod (3735 posts) -

Achivements are in itself the most meaningless thing .... so I dont think it would hinder my exitement for the new content.

#5 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

Achievement points? What is this sorcery, I play games for fun. You should play the DLC, the bosses are great. And there are some cool looking stuff. PVP arena can be fun when it works as well.

#6 Edited by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

@Finalcell said:

So I'm a big Dark Souls fan, and I've been looking forward to this DLC for quite a while. I've played the original from start to end several times and enjoyed every second of it!

My latest feat was getting 1000/1000 points and was very pleased with that. But after downloading the new DLC I noticed there are no new points associated with this DLC...

I was disappointed to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them giving out new content and what not, but with having already completed the game so many times. I feel like there isn't actually alot of point to this DLC except the fact that they just added a new area. I never had any trouble with any of the old bosses, so the new gear won't really affect my gameplay in any way. I've already got so many spells I've lost count, so the new ones are cool and all but don't really feel necessary.

So my point being, no achievement points associated with the DLC. Deliberate or just lazy?

If you're playing Dark Souls for achievements, you're doing it wrong. Dark Souls is the very definition of achievement, fuck your meta game :D

#7 Posted by Mustachio (243 posts) -

I should preface this by saying I'm kind of against what achievements and their ilk have formed into over the past few years.

Personally I didn't even notice it didn't have achievements (or in my case, PS3 "trophies") until you pointed it out. Achievements should, in my opinion, just be an optional little metagame you can use to set yourself challenges to give the content added replayability. I do however find it genuinely disturbing that you don't see any point in playing the new content because you don't get a little "bloop!" and a piece of text confirming that yes, you have, in fact, just made that weapon or killed that dude. They're tertiary extras; don't let their absence ruin the fun for you.

#8 Posted by Rafaelfc (1467 posts) -

lol @ the anti achievements brigade!

I do find it mildly disappointing, it will not stop me from playing through the DLC, but if there were achievements it'd be a nice little bonus.

#9 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

The DLC was awesome so I don't really care about the lack of achievements.

#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

I have no plans on getting the DLC either way but am glad that there are no new Achievements.

#11 Posted by mosespippy (4465 posts) -

The new spells and the patch affect the PVP so thats one reason it matters. The reason you should be interested or care though is to get more background on Sif, Artorias and whatever else they added background to. Achievements don't mean shit.

#12 Posted by cmblasko (1353 posts) -

On the contrary, I am relieved that they didn't add achievements. The completionist in me would freak out every time I saw 1000/1250.

#13 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

Nope. I love Dark Souls and the DLC is awesome.

#14 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1254 posts) -

Not disappointed.

#15 Posted by Finalcell (26 posts) -

@Hungry said:

Why should achievements matter about the DLC anyway? Isn't completing the DLC an achievement in of itself? Do you need an indicator on the screen and a point total to tell you that you were able to overcome a challenge? Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a dick but it doesn't really make any sense to me. The DLC is just more Dark Souls. More areas, more encounters, more enemies, more bosses, more cool items and spells, more cool backstory. It also added some sort of PVP arena thing, but I try and steer clear from that because I have heard of a lot of hackers in there (I play on PC).

Well firstly because every other DLC I've ever downloaded in the past came with a set of achievements. And like I said, I do enjoy the DLC very much. I'm just a little disappointed there was no achievements attached to it. @Aetheldod said:

Achivements are in itself the most meaningless thing .... so I dont think it would hinder my exitement for the new content.

In your opinion. I on the other hand enjoy achievements very much. I feel like they add fun and gameplay to something I already love. @TobbRobb said:

Achievement points? What is this sorcery, I play games for fun. You should play the DLC, the bosses are great. And there are some cool looking stuff. PVP arena can be fun when it works as well.

What if I think hunting for achievements in addition to playing the game is fun? Wouldn't that just make the game even more fun for me if they actually did add them?@Akeldama said:

@Finalcell said:

If you're playing Dark Souls for achievements, you're doing it wrong. Dark Souls is the very definition of achievement, fuck your meta game :D

I'm not saying I play Dark Souls FOR the achievments, I'm saying I feel the achievements gives me a stronger incentive to replay the game for more fun and more challenges.

To everyone else, I did not say I didn't enjoy the DLC. Nor did I say I wouldn't play it because it didn't have achievements. Because I will, and I will enjoy it. The only thing I was pointing out was that for people like me, who like going for the extra challenge to get all the achievements this was a little disappointing. I actually love sitting down with a game and scour through every inch of the game to get the last achievements.

#16 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

@Finalcell: Haha, I get what you are saying, but I honestly didn't even notice that there weren't any new ones. I'm pretty sure they would have turned out pretty generic though, I mean most of the standard games are just completionist/weapon upgrade stuff.

#17 Posted by MormonWarrior (2665 posts) -

There's so many absurd achievements I'll never get in that game that I didn't even want to bother. And I bought the DLC but can't access it yet (you need the Lordvessel right? I'm on my second playthrough and the boss fight with Ornstein/Smough is a beast). So no, I'm not disappointed. Let those that have their crazy S-ranks keep their S-ranks without the add-on content.

#18 Posted by DeathbyYeti (767 posts) -

Im okay guys

Someone write home for me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.