Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Anyone else farming the s%#t out of Darkroot with the ledge trick

• 64 results
    Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Awolf007

In some ways I feel guilty, but the other part of me says, "If you are going to respawn every enemy after lighting a bonfire, I'm going to exploit that." Farming is the one upside to having all enemies respawn after lighting a bonfire (from the player's perspective). I've seen a LOT of high-level looking players using the hidden bonfire at Darkroot, so there must be a lot of you farming there. :)

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Thor_Molecules

No, I don't like to exploit things like that. Kills the game for me, personally.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Not yet.

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Awolf007

Totally understand Buck. After a little while of doing it, it does sort of destroy the mystique of the game. However, my progress level in the game is only as far as "the Depths", so just thinking about all the ridiculously hard stuff coming up makes me feel less guilty about getting a few level bumps from the ledge trick. I grinded the 20K souls to buy the Astoria key to the forest door old fashioned style (for what its worth)

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Farming for souls seems the same as grinding levels in Final Fantasy.  I don't see why people need to feel guilty about this.

Ruins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ruins

I do it and I get a severe amount of entertainment out of it. Although... what's the ledge trick? I have 32 strength, a Black Knight Halberd +5, so I two-shot everyone in the forest and one-shot backstab the cleric... it doesn't take long but if this said ledge trick is faster, please, elaborate!

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

This isn't something new. Hell, ask anyone who played Demon's Souls about 4-2, easiest farm in any game ever.

I still need to look this up as I really need a grind to get going so I can start to upgrade shit beyond my character. Might start leveling the BKS.

Avatar image for mexican_brownie
    Mexican_Brownie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mexican_Brownie

No, because I don't like to cheat.

Cheater :P

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thor_Molecules

@Awolf007: Hey man, I'm not saying how you should enjoy your game, and it's not really that big of a exploit anyway.

But I had a single character in Demon's Souls where I started duping some soul items just for fun, after I finished the game with three other characters the "legit" way. To my surprise, it actually completely ruined the game for me. When the value of souls is that low, half of what makes a Souls game what it is, goes directly out of the window. It's just not any fun to me when it's all handed to me like that.

Maybe i'm some kind of ultra-masochist, I don't know.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I haven't really needed to. I did it enough to pay off the 20000 souls and it's nice to know it's there, but the lack of a hub world makes it far less convenient to 'just go farm a level or two' than in Demon's Souls. And I haven't really had a problem getting enough souls to level just by killing regular dudes.

@Ruins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U&t=0m50s

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MezZa

I used it a few times to make up for the cost of getting in, but I haven't really felt the need to grind quite that much yet.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maajin

Where is the hidden bonfire in Darkroot? I found one in the cave that leads to Valley of the Drakes. Is that it?

daftdethmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By daftdethmonkey

I'd heard there were good souls to be had in the forest but after grinding the 20k to get it the guys there murdered me relentlessly. So yeah, I'm totally gonna farm this spot :) thanks for the tip!

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@Maajin: No the hidden bonfire in Darkrrot is right next to the door that you need to unlock with the item from the blacksmith. The wall disappears, all I did was smack it so I guess that is enough.
    Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maajin

@Resident4t: Found it! Thanks =]

Ruins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ruins

If we band together, we can become champions!

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eastcoasteric

I think it's kind of a "sensitive" situation with a game like this, I mean for Demons Sous I had a few parts that I knew how to manipulate in my favor for a bit, but I wouldn't really call it an "exploit".

I think any kind of farming in general is good in this game, as long as you're not leveling up your character....and what I mean by that is spending it at things like the Blacksmith, buying that key that you said you bought, etc.

Then it comes more or less, okay.

With games like Final Fantasy though it's a good thing, but with Demons Souls or Dark Souls it can put a damper on the game itself, especially if you enjoy any of the multiplayer due to the guide lines it has, I think you'll end up finding less people to summon, etc by grinding your level too high than what it needs to be at certain points in the game.

Ruins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ruins

The online multiplayer is already effed on Dark Souls, has nothing to do with people's soul level. It's P2P (peer-to-peer), so... good luck trying to find your friends. That is the one thing about DkS that drives me insane. Oh well... the game is still wild, well worth the $63.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By gla55jAw

Yeah I have been. Yesterday I was level 32 or so. Today I'm 57.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By jozzy

I understand why someone would do it, but don't come crying when it ruins the game for you.

Big part of this game is the tension that comes from losing your hard earned souls, but you wont care if you just get 7k a minute doing the exploit. I was so happy when I got 25k from killing the sewer vagina monster, but it would mean nothing if you just got that in 4mins by using the exploit. Blight town is freaking scary, but probably not if you grind your way to level 40+.

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Awolf007

@jozzy - I think Blight town will still be scary, with or without the exploit.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gunstar

Is there a way to make it so you can lock on to the ghost dudes? They bother me.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ulong

It really will fuck your multiplayer if you farm your sole level to high. Farm to learn higher spells / upgrade equipment if you're having trouble, but farming soul levels and you've never find anyone to pvp/help.
    granted the multiplayer is allready not worknig as well as demon souls, but you'll just double your problem if you over level. 

As a proud member of the darkmoon blade on my knight, and a future proud member of the Darkwraiths on my sorcerer, it is really crucial to maintain a lower soul level. Heck, even if you want to do nice happy cooperation, you need to maintain an apropriate soul level.  You'll almost be playing the game in offline if you abuse this trick too much.

I did abuse this trick to get a +15 pyromancer catalyst on my Knight though.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@FluxWaveZ said:

Not yet.

I guess I've decided I won't with my main Sorcerer because, as has been pointed out in this thread, it'll make it more difficult to engage in PvP and co-op.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MiniPato

Well, if not for soul levels, this will be nice to supply my dragonbow with some ammo!

Altagrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Altagrave

I'm guessing you let the hydra kill the crystal golems and rinse & repeat?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jozzy: It's still pretty damn scary...just not as scary. Maybe a hair or two less. :P

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Awolf007

I haven't gone berserk with it, just leveled up about 10 levels and upgraded some equipment, etc. Because of too much "life" interfering with my opportunities to really play a lot, I'm only at the Depths. Can someone explain why being a higher level limits your PVP interactions? Is there a property to the PVP scenario that looks at your soul level before allowing another player to invade or allowing you to summon another player?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ninjakiller

I will be, been busy working. I'm going to try to get some hours in this week. 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Awolf007 said:

I haven't gone berserk with it, just leveled up about 10 levels and upgraded some equipment, etc. Because of too much "life" interfering with my opportunities to really play a lot, I'm only at the Depths. Can someone explain why being a higher level limits your PVP interactions? Is there a property to the PVP scenario that looks at your soul level before allowing another player to invade or allowing you to summon another player?

People with a soul level over 10% higher or 10% lower than you won't be able to join your game. (So, at level 20, level 18-22 leveled players will be able to join)

WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WizardShazam

Yes. Seeing as I would have been farming souls elsewhere anyhow, this just saves me a boatload of time. Of course, I am still upset about the invisible lady archer rolling off the cliff and taking her black bow with her but these things happen.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlKusanagi

More so than farming it for soul levels, it's the spot I go to when I need quick "money" to grab stuff from merchants, although it's more fun/good practice to beat the mobs legit.

James5955

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By James5955

I was, then I realized I have nothing to spend souls on other than leveling up :|

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By white
    1. Did you sit just outside the range of an enemy and pelt him with cheap arrows until he dies?
    2. Did you constantly circle strafe around a slow turning enemy and take cheap shots from behind him?
    3. Did you force the enemy to jump off a cliff or ledge, falling to its death, rather than fighting it?
    4. Did you make an enemy get stuck in a geometry, leaving it completely helpless as you wail on it without fear of retaliation?
    5. Did you opt to use cheap magic and ranged attacks even though you can clearly fight the boss in melee?

If you said yes to any of the above, you have exploited a part of the game; the AI. What's stopping you from exploiting a method of farming? =3

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti

I payed the 20k for the key and killed them the first time around fair and square.
    Then I could farm them for a bit with a clear conscience, after all I know I ca kill them already. So this is just speeding up the process.

Inodril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Inodril

@jozzy said:

I understand why someone would do it, but don't come crying when it ruins the game for you.

Big part of this game is the tension that comes from losing your hard earned souls, but you wont care if you just get 7k a minute doing the exploit. I was so happy when I got 25k from killing the sewer vagina monster, but it would mean nothing if you just got that in 4mins by using the exploit. Blight town is freaking scary, but probably not if you grind your way to level 40+.

I agree that the fear of losing your stuff is a big driving force in this game, but with the addition of humanity I'm now more worried about losing that than souls to be honest. One of the main reasons I don't reverse hollow is due to the fact that I know for certain that I will lose that humanity within the next hour or two lol.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By largo6661

In my opinion if its in the game it isnt cheap to exploit it, like street fighter. After all the odds are really stacked against you, its ok to even the playing field.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gunstar

@xobballox: Except this isn't the case. I keep getting paired with people in the high 30s and I'm 25

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstar said:

@xobballox: Except this isn't the case. I keep getting paired with people in the high 30s and I'm 25

That's weird, pretty sure that info came from From Software themselves, but I could be wrong.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Shadow

I would do this but...well, lets just say I wish you luck in finding anyone to play with online.

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hooded

Done it a little more today as I wanted to upgrade the Drake Sword to +2. Leveled up a little as I spent 20K on the crest.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

Its not cheating if its in the game. Not sure who made some of you snobs the authority on what's allowed in this game. Maybe the game was designed the way it was to encourage this behavior? But that's cool, play "fair" and take 500% longer to reach the same goal.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Bocam

I'm Soul Level 218 and no one can play with me. I'm also a Sunbro

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jozzy

@ryanwho said:

Its not cheating if its in the game. Not sure who made some of you snobs the authority on what's allowed in this game. Maybe the game was designed the way it was to encourage this behavior? But that's cool, play "fair" and take 500% longer to reach the same goal.

Point me to someone who said in this thread that it isn't allowed. I only see a couple of people (including me) who say it would ruin the game for them.

EDIT: Oh,and what would the "goal" be? Mine is having fun and playing the game the way I think it was intended.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlKusanagi

So now people have found an actual infinite souls glitch involving the Dragon Covenant. Now that one IS cheating since it glitches the game rather than exploiting dumb AI pathing.

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tenryu

It's a rather borderline grey area mater I would have to say. Is it cheap in a sense? Somewhat I would have to say due to the simplicity of it in theory. Then again, there's always that chance you get blown up by a random spell or backstab then proceed to lose those huge souls you just farmed. Then again you're using your environment to your advantage so I could see the argument there, so really it's a reasonable way to farm.

The method I'd be more concerned with ruining the experience for everyone, the user included, is the ridiculous soul glitch that has surfaced recently. We're talking 20k souls per second, and with that infiltrating the online pvp it's going to cause issues on a large scale >_<...

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nadril

I've farmed the area a bit while doing PvP and stuff. Not using the ledge trick though, just killing them normally. 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Tennmuerti said:
    I payed the 20k for the key and killed them the first time around fair and square. Then I could farm them for a bit with a clear conscience, after all I know I ca kill them already. So this is just speeding up the process.
    As you level up proper anyway while progressing through the game I now find it way easier to just run in and kill those fuckers manually.
    Faster then actually using the farming exploit :)

Yes I did just quote myself.
    Just updating my position on this topic :P
    normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By normalpants

as someone who farmed darkroot to level 95, I can assure you that you're not exploiting anything. The game is still going to kick your ass later down the road, no matter how many levels you have-- trust me on this one

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I think I may have farmed too much, I am currently lvl 50 at Sen's fortress. I'm trying to co-op Iron golem but no one is picking up my soul sign nor can I see any soul signs. Where should I be at lvl 50 typically?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.