Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Anyone Else Find Dark Souls Significantly Easier? (Spoilers)

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By CraigAA1028

I played and loved the original Demon's Souls to death, although I beat it a year after release when I had a nice detailed wiki to consult for everything. Even with that wiki, I died alot and got to a point of controller throwing frustration on multiple occasions, especially with bosses. 

I've spent about 25-30 hours with Dark Souls at this point and I'm loving every second of it but I began to notice something. Maybe I'm just better at the game because I'm familiar with it or maybe I just upgraded my equipment well, but I'm finding it to be a much easier adventure. I'm not saying it's a cake walk as I've died plenty and barely scraped by some encounters, but I haven't gotten furious with it. I've been annoyed, but quickly overcame whatever was on my nerves. I've made it to the large city after Sen's Fortress and in my travels, most bosses only took me one or two tries tops. I beat the Steel Golem without being touched whatsoever. The only boss I had to fight five times was the witch creature guarding the bell in blighttown. I got my ass kicked in the catacombs and decided to avoid it since I've heard you need a divine weapon and I'm still gathering pieces for one, but yeah, is it me, or is Dark Souls a much less punishing experience? 

Again, I'm not saying the game is easy by any means, I'm just saying it's not balls to the wall hard. I welcome the change to a consistent challenge over steep curves. What do you guys think?

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Nadril

Maybe you're just using a better playstyle than demon souls. (I found bosses in demon souls to be easy for the most part, just because I was a mage then). 

I feel like dark souls for the most part is around the same difficulty as demon souls. I think the bosses are a bit harder in dark souls because you can't really cheese them by hiding in a corner like in demons. Also strangely enough the boss you had the most difficulty with was the boss I beat fairly easy.  

e: have you gone through Anor Londor or the Demon Ruins yet? Those might change your mind about difficulty. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A lot of it probably has with knowing what you're getting into beforehand this time.

I never played the original Demon's Souls and am not using a guide and am finding the game hard to get my head around. Satisfying, yet hard. Though I'm giving it a lot more leeway than usual cause there have been so many warnings about how hard this was gonna be and people sharing their experiences with Demon's Souls that I don't completely feel thrown into the deep end of the water.

Also, the difficulty has a sense of fairness about it.

This game is weird. I don't envy anyone who would have to review it professionally. But I've enjoyed the 5-6 hours or so I've invested in it so far, frustrating at times as they may be.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No no no no no no no...No

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Your expectations are different. Its not easier at all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

The only really difficult change for me are the flasks. Being limited to only 5 heals per "trip" is tough to manage for me at times and often just makes me go back and restart the area. I could kindle the bonfires but since I don't know whats up ahead I never know if it's really worth it and never do so. Being able to get a ton of herbs was slightly better I think. As it is sometimes I'll make a few mistakes in the beginning of an area and I'm down to 1 Flask and I know theres a boss at the end so I just go back to the bonfire and re-do the whole area so I can meet the boss with at least 4 flasks just in case. Thats not "hard" thats just repetitious. At the end of the day you basically have the layout imprinted into your mind but in an area or too you will gain enough levels and gear that the previous stage will be a cakewalk; so that knowledge is really useless.

Thats my only real complaint against Dark Souls - don't like the flask system that much (that and I also consumed the fire soul that makes it better because I thought consuming it will actually strengthen the flask; the description didn't say you had to give it to someone.. oh Dark Souls..)

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By CraigAA1028

Would it possibly have something to do that I played as a Knight in Demon's Souls and a Wanderer in Dark Souls? Vinny said the Knight sucks so maybe I just made the last game harder for myself.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @CraigAA said:
    Would it possibly have something to do that I played as a Knight in Demon's Souls and a Wanderer in Dark Souls? Vinny said the Knight sucks so maybe I just made the last game harder for myself.
    I played as Knight in Demon's Souls too, i did have issues at times. But i don't blame the Knight class of that. That fault lies with me not taking his speed into consideration at times, plus i used the Meat Cleaver and the swing time on that attack is pretty damn slow... but fuck it does damage when it lands. Had i use regular Swords or Spear/Shiled i could probably have saved my self a few deaths along the way.
    mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By mason

I tend to agree. Playing non-human is really no big deal, most bosses leave too many openings, and I've never once ran out of Estus flasks (always kindle to 10) so that's a non issue. It's still a tough game, just nothing as impenetrable as Demon's Souls felt. If it weren't for that soul farming location in 4-2 giving me opportunity to beef up my characters equipment and stats, I might have never gotten over the hump.

Dark Souls does get hard (nay, cheap) in spots but overall it feels like a much more gradual difficulty spike. It might seem easier to us at the start compared to Demon's Souls since it's a larger game so the difficulty has time to ramps up slower.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.