Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Anyone else get this over the holidays?

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

In the Undead Burg. I'm enjoying myself immensely. Got the drake sword, too. I love it, but I wish it was a spear.

Weesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Weesh

Yeah I got this for Christmas, got the drake sword and can finally use it with my shield not 2 handed. Had my first fuuuuuuuu moment. Got about 10000 souls to level myself at, stupidly died tried to get back quickly and died again so lost my souls. Oh Dark Souls and my impatience, how I hate you.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bybeach

I got it at a pre-christmas sale at a/the big online store. Someday, I will take the plastic off....

Xeteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Xeteh

I got it for Christmas, I just put it in today (I had been playing Saints Row: The Third) and I got ganked by another player about 40 minutes in.  :|

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

@Xeteh: Nice. I just got Saints Row: The Third on the last day of the Steam deals. My world was invaded just after I beat the Helkite Drake. The other player poisoned me and then just ran away whenever I tried to attack them. They kited me all the way to that guy on the battlements admiring the sun. In my zeal, I accidentally poked the NPC and turned him aggro. Eventually the poison caught up to me and I couldn't manage to kill the other player. Didn't realize the option to purchase NPC forgiveness was available a few hours from where I was, so I killed that NPC and took his stuff. After reading some of the wikis, I get the feeling I just deprived myself of one of the few truly friendly NPCs in the game. Dark Souls is some real shit, son.

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By arch4non

@MuttersomeTaxicab: Be careful with that Drake Sword, it's a bit of a newbie trap. Make sure you keep a regular weapon on hand and keep upgrading it when you can. By the time you get to Sen's Fortress your upgraded normal weapon will be more powerful than the Drake Sword.

If you ever need help, look for the golden summon signs! \o/

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @arch4non said:

@MuttersomeTaxicab: Be careful with that Drake Sword, it's a bit of a newbie trap. Make sure you keep a regular weapon on hand and keep upgrading it when you can. By the time you get to Sen's Fortress your upgraded normal weapon will be more powerful than the Drake Sword.

I haev 360 version. I need a reason to hop back in. Do you know if I AM in new game plus if I can join non new game plus people? Like can they summon me? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Fuckin Dark Souls is the blackest lump of coal to fill your stocking.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BSw

Bought it during the holiday as well, but I yet need to start. I really want to, though, so I hope to be able to fling it in the 360 very soon. I haven't been looking forward to a game like this is quite some time.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I got it. I am really loving it!

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By arch4non

@The_Laughing_Man: If you're in the same level range as people they'll still be able to summon you. 20-40 is good for general summons, anything past 60 is sort of a no man's land. 120 seems to be the set level for end-game PVP.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @arch4non said:

@The_Laughing_Man: If you're in the same level range as people they'll still be able to summon you. 20-40 is good for general summons, anything past 60 is sort of a no man's land. 120 seems to be the set level for end-game PVP.

Im level 65...guess I do not really haev to worry about being invaded. 

I heard that you can invaded people 10% of your soul level. So that means 6 levels up and 6 levels down right? Ive heard stories of level 100s invading level 10s. 
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strainedeyes

I got this when it came out but I just recently started a second character. I really really like this game, and it's definitely a lot easier after you've played a bunch of it. Putting 60 hours into character 1 makes character 2 almost a breeze. The game in general isn't super hard if you just play smart.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BSw

@BSw said:

Bought it during the holiday as well, but I yet need to start. I really want to, though, so I hope to be able to fling it in the 360 very soon. I haven't been looking forward to a game like this is quite some time.

And just lost my first souls. Fuckdamnit, this game is going to take me a looooong time.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chippy180

After a while losing souls isn't a problem. As Vinny said, it's cathartic. I lost 40k souls yesterday and didn't sweat it. It's sort of like death by 1,000,000 cuts.

@arch4non said:

Yeah suhn!

No Caption Provided
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Dylabaloo

I really need to get back into it. As other's have said and I will say now, don't put all your eggs into the Drake Sword basket, it will only get you so far. I'm now rolling with a electric spear and it's holding up alright but I think I need a new weapon; also get a good shield!

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Dylabaloo said:

I really need to get back into it. As other's have said and I will say now, don't put all your eggs into the Drake Sword basket, it will only get you so far. I'm now rolling with a electric spear and it's holding up alright but I think I need a new weapon; also get a good shield!

Eagle shield and claymore wreck most mobs. And bitch slap all invaders. 
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Dylabaloo

@The_Laughing_Man: Thank you Sir, I've been needing a new shield!

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Dylabaloo said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Thank you Sir, I've been needing a new shield!

Eagle shield is the lightest Great shield you can get. 
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By strainedeyes

@Dylabaloo said:

The electric spear upgraded to +5 if what I used to get through the game the first time. And as stated, the Eagle shield is a fantastic one.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By MezZa

Congrats to everyone who's received it for the holidays. May your days be filled with jolly co-operation!

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MentalDisruption said:

Congrats to everyone who's received it for the holidays. May your days be filled with jolly co-operation!

No Caption Provided
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amir90

Cool to hear people liking it :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.