Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Anyone else getting a delay on their R1 attack?

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Awolf007

Example: Enemy in front of you - you dodge their attack, press R1 in perfect timing and your character does NOTHING. Then, inevitably, you get cut by the enemy. Sometimes, your swing comes 2 seconds later.

I get this ALL the time. For example, you move around someone for a back-stab, are in perfect position, hit R1, and NOTHING.

I have to spam R1 twice to ensure I swing - I cannot just press it once for fear of the delay. I try to be accurate with one clean, crisp R1 press in back-stab scenarios, but I've been running into this problem.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MezZa

Cant say that I have. I've read about some kind of button delay lag though.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Nate

I get it quite often with R2, and it's really pissing me off. Likewise, I'll hit it (full stamina so it should be immediate) and then 2 seconds later it'll actually happen. Sometimes I'll have moved to a different position and it'll still do the swing I wanted on the other side of an enemy. Haven't noticed it with R1, but LOTS of it with R2.

Venom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Venom09

This has happened to me on several occasions OP. It seems to happen a lot when I circle the enemy and go for a back stab. Its frustrating.

smiteofhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By smiteofhand

This has happened to me, but more often when using an item like a fire bomb. Unusually long delays for seemingly no reason. Guy I am fighting is not in an animation.

VikingChux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By VikingChux

I've been getting this randomly on R1 and R2. Sill haven't figured out why and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Think it was mentioned in the Quick Look too, but it was dismissed as low stamina.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By nohthink

Never happened to me lol

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

All the bloody time. I'll press the button and he won't attack, but will initiate the attack when I attempt to block. It's caused a lot of dicey situations as you'd expect, what with one fatal mistake potentially leading to the end of you. The only way I can see to counter it is to just tap R1 again; my character will attack and it's best i just get the animation out of the way ASAP rather than when attempting a block.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shadows_kill

Try another game? Maybe your battery is low or controller is dying maybe? I haven't had a PS3 controller die on me yet but a Wii one did and in the end it was getting button delays like you said..

EDIT: I mean the game could have a problem too but its first I've heard of this and I haven't gotten it yet..

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By EVO

@shadows_kill said:

I mean the game could have a problem too but its first I've heard of this and I haven't gotten it yet..

Did you even read this thread? A number of people have had the same issue. It's not the controller, dude. It's the game.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shadows_kill

@EVO said:

@shadows_kill said:

I mean the game could have a problem too but its first I've heard of this and I haven't gotten it yet..

Did you even read this thread? A number of people have had the same issue. It's not the controller, dude. It's the game.

Dude I was just saying its the FIRST I've ever heard of this. If you haven't noticed every video game forum has been going nuts on this game and I've never heard of this til now.

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hooded

It does happen to me ALOT. I would press either RB (R1) or RT (R2) and it wont even come out at all until I either press block or the button again. Its really annoying. Can happen with items aswell, which is a major pain. Its not my controller as its wired and has never had these problems with any other games.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StrikeALight

Happens to me. Perhaps it has something to do with the poise stat?

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maginnovision

I get it alot when I'm trying to use my estus and nothing happens. Got me killed once. A few times trying to attack, I let my guard down swing... and nothing. Xbox360 using a WIRED controller. It is pretty annoying. I kind of just always plan for it now.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By handlas

Yes. I said it was happening when I used my flask for health as well. Someone suggested it might be a stamina issue but I've since seen that it is not. Also happens from time to time with my attacks.

I'll hit attack or hit the heal button and my guy won't do it for a good 5 seconds. Hence, I'm dead.

edit: should say it happens pretty rarely for me so I'm not pissed off about it or anything.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Klei

I wonder if it's some kind of server lag, since our games are linked to the main From Software servers. Anyone tried offline?

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By largo6661

yeap totally pretty much evertime i roll, it also happens if u roll and try use an item. It drives me mad, it makes the game feel real unresponsive.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By metalmoog

Yes this has happened to me numerous times with the Pyromancer and his Fireball Spell.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think the first game had that sometimes too.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwilitEnd656

It happens to me more on the 360 version, can't tell if it's a software or hardware problem. Basically some button presses will buffer into the LB. So, I'll press a button (attack, parry, or item) then block quickly afterwards, only to have whatever I chose to do happen the moment I let go of the LB. It's gotten me needlessly killed several times now.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Stahlbrand

I was getting this here and there, but especially with the zweihander in two-hand mode.

Click - wait - wait - wait - Attack procs...

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FateOfNever

Yup, I've gotten this a fair number of times, especially when trying to cast pyromancy spells, and it's gotten me killed several times as well. Also, playing it offline, so, it's certainly not a server lag issue or anything, it seems to just be lag with the game itself. Considering the incredibly choppy framerate at times though, it really doesn't surprise me that it happens. It shouldn't happen, mind you, but the framerate also shouldn't take such terrible dives as it does in some locations, but it doesn't surprise me that it does.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Jeffsekai

Happens all the time. So stupid.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By AlexW00d

Not a single time fortunately.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox

I've had this happen to attacks, rolls, and items. It's super annoying.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah it happened.
    Sometimes my character does some strange things by herself.
    Strange things regarding a scimitar, randomly swinging into air and then dying actually.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has happened several times, but nowhere near enough to it to be a huge problem for me.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Itwastuesday

This happens so often to me that it's not longer surprising when it does happen. I haven't been killed for it yet, but it would be oh-so-easy to get killed for exactly this.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SuperWristBands

When I hold LB (block) it doesn't like to register rolls sometimes. Then when I let go of LB it rolls, even if I let go a good 30 seconds later. Also, I hate the way this game (and Demon's Souls) queues up actions. If I mash a button to roll and just so happen to have mashed it a bit during the start of the animation does not mean I want to roll again, it means I really wanted that first roll. I would like an option to turn off these action queues as they are detrimental to my play style.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, it's happened to me as well. Sometimes, the character will remain still when I press an action button, and when I try to move away from the enemy, he then decides to attack. It's really bizarre. It either seems to happen during the more intense fights, or that's when I notice it. It's happened when I tried restoring my health, too.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By the_hiro_abides

It's happened to me as well at least a handful of times on the 360 version. Although I have noticed that I can't just tap a button, I have to hold it in for a second or two.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss

Don't hit or release your block while doing an attack and it shouldn't happen. 

For a while I was releasing my block every time I wanted to attack but if you hit the attack before your block goes down (or up) it holds your attack in some sort of queue until you trigger your block again. 

I'm not sure of the strategic use of this, but it has been totally consistent for me.

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By silentghost227

I had this problem happen occasionally maybe like once or twice every hour.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By psylah

I swing a two-hander with one hand, so the wind-up takes forever anyhow. Don't really notice any delayed input, just the long swing animation, which I believe would be justified considering the situation.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've been screwed over a few times as a Pyromancer when my fireball would take an extra long time to come out. Like my dude would be holding his hand up charging the attack, but wouldn't shoot it out.

Also I've been accidentally dodging here and there, sometimes to my benefit, sometimes off a cliff.

The controls are hopelessly clunky as hell, but I'm slowly growing accustomed to them. Feels good when you are pulling off all the right moves and just mowing down dudes left and right.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By Icemael

Happens every once in a while, and has cost me my life a bunch of times. Usually the delay is one of 1-3 seconds, but one time it took fifteen fucking seconds for my character to respond. Ridiculous.

@psylah said:

I swing a two-hander with one hand, so the wind-up takes forever anyhow. Don't really notice any delayed input, just the long swing animation, which I believe would be justified considering the situation.

I use the Zweihänder with one hand, but it's still very noticeable, so you've probably simply never had a delay.
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By psylah

@Icemael said:

Happens every once in a while, and has cost me my life a bunch of times. Usually the delay is one of 1-3 seconds, but one time it took fifteen fucking seconds for my character to respond. Ridiculous.

@psylah said:

I use the Zweihänder with one hand, but it's still very noticeable, so you've probably simply never had a delay.

Have you found a Black Knight Sword at all? I found one, it's got 205 damage, 225 at +1 level.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Icemael
    @psylah: No, but that sounds insane. My Zweihänder +5 has just under 200.

Where can I find one of these swords?
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By psylah

@Icemael said:

@psylah: No, but that sounds insane. My Zweihänder +5 has just under 200.Where can I find one of these swords?

You know the big brown-ish looking knights, the ones with the shield? There is one down a flight of stairs before the tower that leads to the Taurus Demon, in Undead Burg. There is another at the top of the tower that the ladder you climb under the dragon's bridge leads to.

They drop them. They're pretty easy, stay super-close to them and rotate counter-clockwise, their swings will never hit you and you should be able to backstab them when they try.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Seppli

Jep. PS3 player here. Same bug. Hope they patch this soon. Horrid bug.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MezZa

Been happening to me a lot now the past couple days. I'll hit R2, nothing...nothing...oh yeah, attack. With my luck it usually decides to attack at the worst possible moments too.

Ovenall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ovenall

I started getting this on my block (shield) with my third character. Never happened on my other characters. It's not stamina, either. I tested it a bunch of times standing alone. Happens in and out of battle. XBox 360.

Combine this with a completely broken save game (warrior 6 hours in) and I'm growing tired of this game. People fanatically defend it and claim everything is the fault of the player, but it has bugs just like every other game... problem is, it's so stupidly demanding that little bugs make a big difference.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Icemael
    @psylah: But those guys don't respawn, and I've already killed all the ones I've come across without getting any weapon drops... :(
    Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Joeyoe31

Oh man, speak of bad times for that to start happening. The entire final boss fight. It was either attacking in that tiny window of opportunity to hit him or when a healing chance came up and I would go to heal and I would just not heal. Or worse I would do either of the two and it wouldn't come out and when the boss would start attacking again and THEN I would heal/attack, and then usually die. Fuck me was I mad when that started to happen.

ALXNDRB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ALXNDRB

Quite a lot to me too :/ I'm sort of happy it doesn't happen to me only but really, it sucks. I died many times because of this issue

James5955

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By James5955

I play on Ps3 and I've noticed it on a few occasions, really annoying when it does happen. Luckily it seems to be a rare occurrence.

Carlsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Carlsen

Same problem here. Not quite often enough to really bother me, but it is annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.