Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Anyone not get far because they keep making new characters?

Avatar image for omanyte_jackson
    Omanyte_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Omanyte_Jackson

Yeah I think I've clocked over 13 hours into this game but I keep switching characters/making new ones. First go, I made a bandit, then a thief, then another bandit because I didn't like my stats, then a hunter, quickly deleted because i wasn't digging the name and his eyes where weird, then a pyromancer, then another thief... There where a few other minor ones too but now I'm cycling between my 2 bandits (one of them is currently a stain on the wall thanks to a certain boar) and a thief and i'm wondering "Am I playing this wrong?"

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

That describes every MMO experience I've ever had, pretty much.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Omanyte_Jackson said:

and i'm wondering "Am I playing this wrong?"

Well, it doesn't seem like you've played much of it to determine either way. It's an RPG. You can't just spend your time deleting characters and making new ones. You need to decide on how you're going to play initially and stick to it instead of constantly restarting. 

To answer the question, no I haven't. I've only started one character and that's the character I've stuck with for my 30 something hours.
    subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By subyman

Nah, the characters all blend once you get into the proper game. I started with a wanderer and haven't started again. I'm only SL55 though, so its not like I'm really deep into it yet. I made some poor choices, but what makes these games fun is having to live with them.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Dixego

It's OK to experiment with new characters until you get what's best for you. It's just a matter of time. I did the same with Demon's Souls until I decided I wanted a Wanderer because it's easy to dodge attacks.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron

The starting character "classes" are pretty irrelevant in the big scheme of things....just pick one and commit. You'll build your character around your play style as you go. Just don't spread your points too thin.

Nekromantix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nekromantix87

I got very far and have the same problem. My main character just completed Tomb of Giants, Lost Izalith, and New Londo, but is pure melee. I made a sorcerer last night, and got to the armored boar, but now I don't know what I want to play.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By punisherkaos

On many occasions i thought about starting a new guy and decided that as soon as i get stuck or screw up bad enough ill restart since i figured that would probably end up happening. Well it hasn't happened yet but im about to enter blight town and i have heard nothing but terrible things about blight town so guess ill find out how well i made my dude.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BisonHero  Online

I've been doing that while playing Dungeons of Dredmor, but that's because your character is highly customizable, since there are 30 or so skills to choose from, and you can only choose 7 for any given character. My brain is just always coming up with new builds I want to try out, but unless you fuck up and die early, each character can last 10-20 hours depending on how thoroughly you play the game.

I can sort of see why you would do something similar in Dark Souls, but the fact that the different classes are largely just starting stats and equipment, it seems like you should just commit to playing one character for like 6 hours, and by that point you can start customizing it into whatever class you please.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

Sorta. I ended up making 4 characters all focused on different things so despite playing more than 50 hours combined I've only defeated 3 of the bosses at most. I have no desire to make any more though, so as soon as I decide what to focus on with my thief (I'm thinking dual wielding, dodge focused with sorcery support) and get caught up with the others I'll pick one to go further with.

I dunno yet if I'll end up sticking with a single character or if I'll keep switching back and forth between a few favorites as I go along.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix

Well, I've made it into Blighttown with one of my characters, but have realized that maybe I don't like him. I feel like I specced him wrong, and spent souls on stupid things and now have the desire to create a new character.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Chummy8

Yeah, I'm terrible with that. Since no one starting character was exactly how I wanted it, I finally decided to stick with my Cleric. So far, he's pretty good.

However, I am interested in other gameplay styles, I wouldn't mind trying a thief or a pyro/sorc sometime soon. Maybe in another playthrough.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McGhee

Got six hours in with a sorcerer and figured out that they suck. So I switched to pyromancer which so much better.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By jimi

Nope, once you get far into the game it doesn't even matter what class you picked. Some classes just have an easier time with the start than others.

I made my knight and stuck with him, SL 63 now nearing what seems like the end of the game. He is a general purpose build purely for beating the game (I can use miracles and magic fine, have a mix of str and dex to use weapons).

Zarackus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zarackus

I've made and deleted four different characters. This is a common thing for me to do in most games though. And I really need to cut it out.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By benjaebe

I'm about 40 hours in with my first character when I went back and made a second, which I'm about 4 hours in with now. It's just helpful because sometimes I'll get stuck with one so I'll switch over to the other and it keeps things interesting.

Newportdadde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Newportdadde

I'm guilty of this. So far I have three characters, all are around the same place in the game. The furthest is the pure sorcerer who just rang the first bell, a pyro who is ready for the parish and a knight who is ready for the parish. I'm actually contemplating starting a warrior or deprived, my sorcerer beat the gargoyles on his second try but I'm starting to see him having some survival issues in the future, not sure if he will pay off long term.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By imsh_pl

It's that much more pointless in DS because contrary to a different RPG you can always shift your playstyle and you're not limited by your class choice.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By gla55jAw

@Jimi said:

Nope, once you get far into the game it doesn't even matter what class you picked. Some classes just have an easier time with the start than others.

I made my knight and stuck with him, SL 63 now nearing what seems like the end of the game. He is a general purpose build purely for beating the game (I can use miracles and magic fine, have a mix of str and dex to use weapons).

Yeah, unless you threw all of your points into Intelligence or Faith, later on it doesn't really matter what your class is. It's really just about your starting equipment and starting spells. I started as a Bandit, now I'm a SL 83 Heavy Armor Knight who uses a Greatsword and Shield and high level Pyromancy who still does full rolls. I say, just play longer and level up Stamina, Vitality and your choice of STR or DEX if you wanna play as melee character.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pweidman

Ahhh...whatevers fun for ya. The beauty of this game though, is the way you can morph any starting character into any role, given some time. My Pyro is morphing into a tank, based on what I've found and how I have found I play best(keep it real simple for me, :p). You are able to aquire pretty much anything in the game, ability or gear wise, maybe except the master key? Dunno about that one. But unless you just hate yur guy or you accidentally murdered an important npc, just keep playing and evolve your character. I guess covenant choices could require multiple files too. IMO, if your having fun playing this game, your're doing it right regardless, as it can be the pinnacle of frustrating at times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.