Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Are any of the boss soul weapons worth a damn (for my character)?

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mason

I've been slowly collecting a good stash of demon titanite over the course of the game. This stone is only used only to upgrade boss soul weapons right? I've well past halfway through the game and have never created a boss weapon. None of them seemed that great to me.

Are any of the boss weapons worth creating and upgrading? Don't want to waste my time on weapons that won't be useful.

I should say that I have a str/end/vit build. This build doesn't use use curved blades, piercing swords, daggers, or any weapon that relies on dexterity or magic (some faith is OK). The golem axe sounds interesting, but I'm wondering if it handles well at all. I don't like extremely slow weapons even if they have high damage (zweihander is the slowest thing I can handle). Sword of Artorias sounds great too, but I haven't fought Sif yet.

Considering my build, what should I spend my demon titanite on?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By envane

well quelaags furysword is one of the most popular weapons in the game but thats a curved blade heh , the greatsword and cursed greatsword of artorias are proably ok for your build , so save yoru titantite for them , mabey the greatshield of artorias? , in new game+ you can use the end bosses soul to make his greatsword , which i havent actually tested , but thats a bunch more effort ,

demon titanite is also quite easy to farm so no need to worry about using it on something you end up not wielding anyway

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mason

Any opinions about the Golem Axe?

I already have a +10 axe I'm not using. I was going to ascend it to lightening, but I have another +10 weapon I could do that with.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

I actually hate that all strength weapons are so slow. Kinda regret making a strength build and with 40 points in str I'm not going to start pumping dex now.

I really think that just as they have 3 levels of rolling now they should put in levels of swinging. If I have 50 STR I shouldn't be swining my axe as slow as I was when I had 20 STR.

I think the Golem Axe is going to be too slow to be very effective.

Best bet for STR builds which I am as well is to probably make that Sword of Arterias but that has some semi hefty requirements with 20 in magic and faith if I remember correctly - but it looks like it does a ton of damage.

VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VanillaPlant

@Humanity said:

I actually hate that all strength weapons are so slow. Kinda regret making a strength build and with 40 points in str I'm not going to start pumping dex now.

I really think that just as they have 3 levels of rolling now they should put in levels of swinging. If I have 50 STR I shouldn't be swining my axe as slow as I was when I had 20 STR.

Best bet for STR builds which I am as well is to probably make that Sword of Arterias but that has some semi hefty requirements with 20 in magic and faith if I remember correctly - but it looks like it does a ton of damage.

Well Sword of Arterias scaling is C/C/B/B (str, dex, int, faith), so there are probably better choices for making use of all that str.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

@mason said:

I already have a +10 axe I'm not using. I was going to ascend it to lightening, but I have another +10 weapon I could do that with.

Golem axe sucks.

Small damage. Bad range. Stupid special attack.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperWristBands

I wish some of the boss weapons would be good. I haven't seen them all but I made Ornstien's Spear and it sucked pretty hard. I also made the Crystal Ring shield and it didn't really do to much outside of it's heavy attack while being held in the left hand.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By McShank

@mason:

@envane said:

well quelaags furysword is one of the most popular weapons in the game but thats a curved blade heh , the greatsword and cursed greatsword of artorias are proably ok for your build , so save yoru titantite for them , mabey the greatshield of artorias? , in new game+ you can use the end bosses soul to make his greatsword , which i havent actually tested , but thats a bunch more effort ,

demon titanite is also quite easy to farm so no need to worry about using it on something you end up not wielding anyway

Do not make that Artorias weapon if your build is a Strength build as you need 20 int / faith / dex to even use it and half the damage will come from those stats. the golem axe is ok but it is considered a Great axe and is slow. They can all be useful if you want the achievments or just to see what they would be like for other characters. i do know that the Black Knight Weapons are some of the better weapons that dont require much stats besides str / dex and would probably be the best bet for your weapons of choice. Not many Str only weapons are fast weilding so if you put a little dex into the knight weapons then you would be doing great as i think the most needed for the bigger ones (Great sword, great axe, halbred) is only 20 dex but like 32 str.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FateOfNever

All I know is that the fist weapon made from the iron golem's soul has A scaling on strength, and it also has an uppercut strong attack, but it seems kind of not great. Maybe my strength is just too low to benefit enough from the A scaling.

Anyway, most of the boss weapons seem...not great. It doesn't help that Lightning is by far the best attribute to give a weapon in the game right now. At least until they potentially patch it.

I don't know if you'd find any of the boss weapons really useful, but, I do think most of them are pretty fun to at least check out, even though a fair number of them also have pretty big downsides.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jozzy

@Tennmuerti said:

@mason said:

Golem axe sucks.

Hmm, I actually like using the Golem Axe. It does the most damage out of any weapon I have right now (at +4). Don't use the special attack much. I can see it being surpassed by other weapons though, but I really like using the battle axe.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mason

Sigh. I'm disappointed in how much broken loot they included this game. Why bother modeling so many cool-looking weapons, just to make them worthless novelties that just sit in your inventory?

It was a problem I had with Demon's Souls too. I'd come across some crazy-looking unique weapon or armor only to find it had awkward animations and mediocre damage. Even if it had its uses, some would have such a bizarre mix of stat requirements that very few builds could actually use. This wasn't always true, but happened enough to be annoying.

But it seems way worse in Dark Souls. My inventory is just filled with 80% junk. Only a fraction of the rare weapons seem worth your time. Might as well just use all of these boss souls for points.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Humanity said:

Agreed so hard. I fell for the myths about STR affecting swing speed and DEX affecting walk speed (not talking about the END/encumbrance animations) and wasted so many points getting to 40 STR. I wish they were true because it would make more sense.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Chop

The crystal shield you make with the butterfly soul is crazy as fuck, probably one of the highest damaging weapons in the game.

@mason said:

Sigh. I'm disappointed in how much broken loot they included this game. Why bother modeling so many cool-looking weapons, just to make them worthless novelties that just sit in your inventory?

It was a problem I had with Demon's Souls too. I'd come across some crazy-looking unique weapon or armor only to find it had awkward animations and mediocre damage. Even if it had its uses, some would have such a bizarre mix of stat requirements that very few builds could actually use. This wasn't always true, but happened enough to be annoying.

But it seems way worse in Dark Souls. My inventory is just filled with 80% junk. Only a fraction of the rare weapons seem worth your time. Might as well just use all of these boss souls for points.

You're not wrong, but what's the fun in only ever using the best of the best? Fist weapons are retarded and useless, but I still made a fist character in Demon's Souls and had fun with it. Unless you're concerned with making a pvp character, just use shitty loot anyways!

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mason

@Chop: I kind of agree. I often pull out a weaker/slower weapon for enemies I've already fought a dozen times, just for a change of pace. But that feels like something I'll enjoy more with New Game+ when it's all about farming and messing around. On my first run-through, it's hard enough without being handicapped by my own equipment.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

@jozzy said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mason said:

Golem axe sucks.

Hmm, I actually like using the Golem Axe. It does the most damage out of any weapon I have right now (at +4). Don't use the special attack much. I can see it being surpassed by other weapons though, but I really like using the battle axe.

Golem Axe does 155 dmg with C scaling un-upgraded.

A simple battle axe +10 which you make it from does 190 dmg also with C scaling.

At max upgrade: +5 Golem axe does 232, +15 battle axe does 237.

And a lightning battle axe would be doing 261+266 dmg at max upgrade.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Fully upgraded Smough's Hammer is one of the strongest weapons in the game in terms of pure damage and has two special strong attacks depending on your stance.

You need hella str to wield it with more than one hand though.

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tenryu

The Crystal Ring Shield hands down is the best boss soul item craft in terms of damage. With the Great Sword of Artorias +5 I'm hitting the black knights in the Kiln of the First Flame for 1600+. It basically took out Dark Sun Gwyndolin for me in one hit, I couldn't even see his remaining hp left >_<... Queelag's Fury Sword is amazing for enemies weak against fire and even in general use.

On that note, from what I've seen if you have split stats to about 40ish in the categories it uses, int and faith for the B scalings, the True Great Sword of Artorias is kind of ridiculous at +5. Still doesn't hit as hard as a Lightning Zweihander +5... Still one of the better scaling items in the game though. The Life Stealing Scythe is also pretty decent, assuming you don't kill yourself with it as it causes you to bleed too >_<!

The Dragon Bone Fist makes me weep at the wasted potential, and then it kicked me by requiring dragon scales to upgrade, not demon titanite >_>! Darkmoon Bow turned out to be weak sauce and Ornstein's Spear didn't have the courtesy to make a mob even realize I was poking it. Bottom line, sad face on boss weapons :(

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By shirogane

@Tenryu: Ack, Life Stealing Scythe, NEVER use it on more than 4 enemies at once, that's an instant 50% max health gone. It does insane damage though, and has some pretty good DEX scaling. But that bleed thing...gotta really watch that, i've killed myself with it so many times.

Avatar image for pepitoneconqueso
    PepitoneConQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PepitoneConQueso

@Tennmuerti said:

@jozzy said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mason said:

Golem axe sucks.

A simple battle axe +10 which you make it from does 190 dmg also with C scaling.

At a certain strength level (which I don't know) the golem axe would do more damage than the lightning battle axe. Lightning weapons are really only good through most of the second playtrough until stat scaling pulls normal enhanced weapons ahead.

The Quelaag Furysword is a really good boss weapon because it has a ton of fire damage, chaos damage, and it scales with dex. Weapons that don't scale will be obsolete over time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

@VanillaPlant said:

@Humanity said:

Well Sword of Arterias scaling is C/C/B/B (str, dex, int, faith), so there are probably better choices for making use of all that str.

I thought those stats were reversed - as in STR/DEX B's and INT/FAITH at C's

Then I dunno a single unique weapon for STR thats practical in usage yet yields high dmg output.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gerrid

The Crystal Ring Shield is where it's at. Damage scales off your right hand weapon. The more powerful that is, the more damage you'll do with the L2 attack. It has 160 durability, and each L2 attack uses 4 points of durability.

I don't use it as my main shield because the defence stats are crap, but at range it's pretty deadly. With a lightning spear +5 it does about 650 damage, un-upgraded. If you had, say, a fully upgraded greatsword, axe etc then I could easily see it hitting for 1500+.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @PepitoneConQueso said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@jozzy said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mason said:

Golem axe sucks.

At a certain strength level (which I don't know) the golem axe would do more damage than the lightning battle axe. Lightning weapons are really only good through most of the second playtrough until stat scaling pulls normal enhanced weapons ahead.

The Quelaag Furysword is a really good boss weapon because it has a ton of fire damage, chaos damage, and it scales with dex. Weapons that don't scale will be obsolete over time.

With a shitty STR scaling of only C the Golem Axe would need all of 99 STR to rival a lighning Battle Axe, and even then it is still highly questionable if it would catch up as it would need a +300 STR dmg, na dI'm not sure this is even reachable with a STR scaling of C

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.